Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    • 11,061Posts
    • 59,337Thanks
    edinburgher
    Only freedom will do
    • 2nd May 14, 3:58 PM
    Only freedom will do 2nd May 14 at 3:58 PM
    It has come to my attention that I have been here for a very long time

I joined these forums in a dim and distant past, where money was my enemy and the weight of my student debts left me crushed and panicked, unable to picture a future where I would be able to get a debit card (never mind a mortgage).

5 years later and the milestones of marriage, first home and first car have come and gone. Throughout it all, I have had a creeping feeling that something wasnít quite right. I donít get the world of work, and while Iíve never been unemployed in my adult life, Iíve tried too hard to try my hand at too many things and Iím left feeling like Iím an actor who recognises the play, but does not understand his motivation.

As some of you will know, I have experienced some real heartache of late. Your messages of support and hope have been so touching and in many cases, I have got more comfort from anonymous individuals who took the time to get in touch than people I know in the Ďrealí world.

While money would have done nothing to prevent it, the luxury of savings and our hard work over the years meant that we were in a position to make the right decisions and take our time with our next steps. Returning to work has been a real blow and without sounding even more melodramatic, I donít think Iíd realised just how damaging I find the merry-go-round of rote work, office politics and bureaucracy.

It wonít do, I canít believe that this is as good as it gets and to quote one of my favourite singers ĎWe can always build a world better than thisí.

From this point on, I plan to dedicate myself to achieving financial independence. Not MFW, but freedom from all the nonsense that we go through to just to pay for a pile of bricks and a few years of leisure at the end of our span.

Hopefully you can join me for the journey
Page 252
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    We also use the one mentioned by Greying, but it's strictly to organise gatherings of friends, share baby photos with family etc. I do have a FB account, but it isn't updated and access is controlled to only friends, not friends of friends etc. My internet footprint is minimal, had a quick check and could find less than 5 named references to myself Despite my share all posts, I value my privacy!

I do not think that we will be able to hold back the tide until DD is 18, but I will not be one of these parents who gives their child a tablet at 5 years old.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 46,434 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

I do not think that we will be able to hold back the tide until DD is 18, but I will not be one of these parents who gives their child a tablet at 5 years old.
    Originally posted by edinburgher

If I'm honest ed, I don't think we'll manage it either, but shoot for the moon and land in the stars and all that

And anyway, given the cyclical nature of things in life, perhaps, just perhaps the tide will turn just now and people will turn off trying to live their own lives as a 'streaming 24/7 reality show' we're all really not that important in the grand scheme of things anyway. Although to each other, we are the world My luddite stance may just gain zietgeist status yet!

Greying X

ps - soz to hijack your thread - just struck a chord is all.
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I hope the tide will turn the other way, but I am not so sure, I feel that the current trend for endless self promotion has been brewing for a few decades at least? This is a gut feeling, I have only been alive for a few decades and I wasn't really paying attention for the first two
    • NorthernMonkey1
    • By NorthernMonkey1 13th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    NorthernMonkey1
    My pension plan value went up by £15k over the last few days. I know its all paper money, but it's quite scary how much the numbers can change by
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I am spreadsheeting myself a wee ready reckoner based on 'Decision Rules and Maximum Initial Withdrawal Rates' as mentioned by jamesd. Suspect that someone's already did it, but I like to rebuild these things to make sure that I understand the logic
    • NorthernMonkey1
    • By NorthernMonkey1 13th Oct 16, 4:15 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    NorthernMonkey1
    Assuming you did retire early, what is the earliest that you can draw down from a conventional pension. Is it 10 years before SP age, so 58 in my case?
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 13th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Yes, that's correct
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 13th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    choccielover
    choccielover - thank you so very much for writing ^ this. Me & DH feel exactly the same - to the extent that we're not bothered about the FB,T or chat apps either - although I am on Wh'app, but that's me that is on it, not my family; and I'm very much over the age of consent. But we too are fiercely protective of Baby Greying's image and 'life'. Unfortunately, we have a family member who just 'doesn't get it', and it has made an exisiting rift an unbreachable canyon, with their stance. What Baby Greying wants to do at 18 is their own affair, but for the moment, we're trying to be resolute and maintain their privacy.

It's so nice to here someone feels the same. We've received an incredible amount of flack from family members, and not much support from our peer group who are mostly childless by choice, or who's children are 'grown & flown' and who didn't have to contend with the extent of social media access when their children were small.

Again, thank you for saying it. You've made me feel more validated in our stance.

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Oh you are welcome greying.
    I admit DD does had an iPad(my original one that's ancient) but it's loaded with educational games and she has extremely limited time on it. Our aversion to social profiling doesn't prevent me wanting her to be competently proficient with technology.

The photo thing is a worry, I have family members that are the same and they don't understand it either. I empathise with the widening gulf, I feel the same both for this and other life choices I have made (career vs family etc) but what do you do.....attempting to conform to their version of normal makes me so sad that I can't do it any more. I hurts to admit I'm happier away from it.

Sorry to hijack Eds, back to topic I'll review that ready reckoned you mentioned. I love a good spreadsheet building exercise
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 14th Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 676 Posts
    • 3,027 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Assuming you did retire early, what is the earliest that you can draw down from a conventional pension. Is it 10 years before SP age, so 58 in my case?
    Originally posted by NorthernMonkey1
    Yes, that's correct
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    My understanding is 55, with plans to anchor to state pension age in future, though no moves have been made to enact this change yet. The proposal suggested 10 years below SPA. With this being around 25 years away for you, ed, and I, it does make planning with any real certainty quite difficult. It seems the pension goalposts are always moving, and that will always be the case.

Mtg [2013 £64k|2014 £51k|2015 £38k|2016 £26k|2017 14k] Zero!
    MN [2013-£25k|2014-£2k|2015+£16k|2016+£34k|2017+£52k] +£53,571.79 (MFiT4:+60k)
    NW [2013 £126k|2014 £156k|2015 £190k|2016 £228k|2017 £269k] £268,597.74 (2020:300k)
    FI [2013 -1.2%|2014 2.8%|2015 6.9%|2016 13%|2017 18%] 28.8% (exc SP)
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I misread the question - *I* am assuming that it will be 58 as it's surely only a matter of time before they make the link to state pension age law. SSS is correct as to the current legislation
    • NorthernMonkey1
    • By NorthernMonkey1 14th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 969 Thanks
    NorthernMonkey1
    I'd like to retire at 55, so I might need to make some plans around ISAs etc for the period between 55 and 58.

I'm only 37, but it's good to read about others who are 'crazy' enough to not work until the bitter end. I've only just upped my pension contributions from 20% (+10% from work) to 30+10%. Once the mortgage is gone, which will be a few years time, I'll be looking to push that even further to 50+% to enable early retirement.
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 14th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    10% from work? I miss having that particular perk!
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Without meaning to humble brag, I'm pleased that I've managed to get home contents and buildings insurance for nearly £250 cheaper than last year for a policy that's only slightly worse (doesn't offer a couple of minimal value add extras). On the other hand, I am furious with myself for basically overpaying by £250 last year off the back of a 'salesy' add on call from my mortgage broker for a product that I really didn't need. Hey ho, lesson learned.

Interestingly enough, policy looked to be £35 dearer when going direct, but £77 cashback made the difference. It never hurts to double check, eh? Cashback tracked instantly.
    Last edited by edinburgher; 15-10-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 28,973 Posts
    • 164,821 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That's not humble bragging, thats the financial focus that these diaries are *supposed* to have, as opposed to all the prattle we *actually* fill them with
    Retired August 2016
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    On the prattle front, thank God DD just went to sleep. 6 solid hours of whining or yelling, she is cutting 2 of her last few teeth

I have completely overdone it this weekend - 3.5 hours of driving about yesterday for Mrs E's Birthday, rushing about after her and DD all day, 6 hours of grumpy DD time today and DIY tomorrow (which is supposedly 'time off')
    • mrsp1987
    • By mrsp1987 15th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    mrsp1987
    This is why I have cats xx
    Mortgage April 2011: £108,499 30 yr term Current Mortgage £91,084.44 20 yrs left
    MFiT T4 #67 - Reduce mortgage from £99,310.76 to £80,000
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 15th Oct 16, 8:44 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    This is why I have cats xx
    Originally posted by mrsp1987
    I am also a cat person, but I am yet to meet one who can give me a hug, imitate car noises while pretending to use the car steering wheel, or burst into laughter because I have placed a (clean) nappy on my head
    • giblet1979
    • By giblet1979 15th Oct 16, 11:55 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    giblet1979
    Such a cute image
    Debt remaining:
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200)

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 15th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 6,033 Posts
    • 31,871 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Excellent re. the insurance.

I really dislike the sales calls and wish everyone would shop around for insurance / utilities etc. so these things would just stop happening.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments £1,750
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 16th Oct 16, 4:07 AM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    edinburgher
    That's why I was angry with myself Alex, normally I always shop around, think I was just a bit het up after a stressful mortgage application and that has probably lowered my defences.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,957Posts Today

8,579Users online

Martin's Twitter