Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,741Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 55
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 12th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    spikyone
    Thanks both, I'll look forward to hearing you got in in your races next week! Glad, that's a superb improvement in a short time, well done!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 16th Sep 18, 4:15 PM
    • 6,234 Posts
    • 20,444 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Well half marathon done ... Came in just under 1hr 27 mins. Tough going today, I took it out too fast into a tough headwind and then regretted the first couple of miles later on in the race. But box ticked with the sub 90 mins so that'll do for now.
    That was my longest run for months too so all in all it wasn't too bad. Just need to decide which half to target for next year so that I can actually get some training in and give sub 80 a try.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 17th Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    spikyone
    That's a great performance, especially under the circumstances.

I can't even imagine how much training it would take to go sub 80, I have constant aches and pains from doing enough to break 90 and I'd be seriously happy with that pace over a 5k!
    • Glad
    • By Glad 18th Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 17,925 Posts
    • 39,747 Thanks
    Glad
    Well half marathon done ... Came in just under 1hr 27 mins. Tough going today, I took it out too fast into a tough headwind and then regretted the first couple of miles later on in the race. But box ticked with the sub 90 mins so that'll do for now.
    That was my longest run for months too so all in all it wasn't too bad. Just need to decide which half to target for next year so that I can actually get some training in and give sub 80 a try.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    well done, wonderful time

it's my aim to do a half marathon trail next year

I did a third 10k on saturday, 81 mins so a little slower but the course was pretty tough, lots of steep hills and estate lanes covered in cow muck so more skating than running at times
    Last edited by Glad; 18-09-2018 at 8:13 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 19th Sep 18, 9:16 PM
    • 6,234 Posts
    • 20,444 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good effort Glad.
    Trail races are so much more fun than road races. Sadly for some reason I am (relatively speaking) faster on road than on trails despite enjoying them much more.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 21st Sep 18, 10:13 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    SSDD23
    Joined in with my running clubs 0 to 5k group last night, pushed too hard, I don't know how not to want to be at the front
    Foot's a bit tender, will see how it goes with ice and stretching.
    Sports Injury guy I see is half hour drive away but need to find someone closer as I can't seem to find many who do Saturdays, and I work Mon-Fri. At least with someone local I might be able to use my lunch hour to see someone
    • Glad
    • By Glad 1st Oct 18, 9:34 PM
    • 17,925 Posts
    • 39,747 Thanks
    Glad
    Getting ready to do a 12k trail race on Saturday, the furthest I'll have run and the elevation is 690m! looking forward to it though and hoping the weather stays fine, the views should be glorious
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 2nd Oct 18, 8:41 PM
    • 6,234 Posts
    • 20,444 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Getting ready to do a 12k trail race on Saturday, the furthest I'll have run and the elevation is 690m! looking forward to it though and hoping the weather stays fine, the views should be glorious
    Originally posted by Glad
    Love a good trail race, enjoy. Although I am terrible at going up I generally make up places coming back down as I am a bit stupid and just launch myself down mountains.

700m over 12k is going to be tough going!
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 8th Oct 18, 9:30 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    spikyone
    Originally posted by Glad
    How did it go? The weather where I am was pretty unpleasant on Saturday, but I'm told that it was lovely elsewhere.

I ran a local 10k yesterday. I'd woken up on Saturday with the start of a cold, which was worse yesterday. The only reason I didn't skip the 10k was that I was meeting a fellow runner from a Facebook group, who was travelling an hour to join me in trying for a sub-40 (fortunately he turned out to be a really nice guy rather than some internet weirdo).
    As I was there, I decided that I was going to try for the sub-40 anyway. If I didn't make it then at least I'd tried. I went with him at the necessary pace early on, and my breathing wasn't too bad. Around 7.5k he started dropping back a bit but I was into my stride and decided to keep going. The end result was a 39:39, my first sub-40 and under the circumstances it ranks as one of my proudest running achievements.
    Unfortunately my running buddy missed out by a handful of seconds. Both our Strava accounts recorded it as being over-distance and his shows that he got through the 10k point in just under 40, so I hope it's just a matter of time for him before he makes it official.

Parkrun aside that will be my last race of the year, and I'm going to take at least a couple of weeks out. I've been hurting in all kinds of places so it's time to listen to my body for once.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 8th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 6,234 Posts
    • 20,444 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Well done Spiky good effort. Wonder what you could do when you're not ill.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 12th Oct 18, 9:47 PM
    • 17,925 Posts
    • 39,747 Thanks
    Glad
    Love a good trail race, enjoy. Although I am terrible at going up I generally make up places coming back down as I am a bit stupid and just launch myself down mountains.

700m over 12k is going to be tough going!
    How did it go? The weather where I am was pretty unpleasant on Saturday, but I'm told that it was lovely elsewhere.

I ran a local 10k yesterday. I'd woken up on Saturday with the start of a cold, which was worse yesterday. The only reason I didn't skip the 10k was that I was meeting a fellow runner from a Facebook group, who was travelling an hour to join me in trying for a sub-40 (fortunately he turned out to be a really nice guy rather than some internet weirdo).
    As I was there, I decided that I was going to try for the sub-40 anyway. If I didn't make it then at least I'd tried. I went with him at the necessary pace early on, and my breathing wasn't too bad. Around 7.5k he started dropping back a bit but I was into my stride and decided to keep going. The end result was a 39:39, my first sub-40 and under the circumstances it ranks as one of my proudest running achievements.
    Unfortunately my running buddy missed out by a handful of seconds. Both our Strava accounts recorded it as being over-distance and his shows that he got through the 10k point in just under 40, so I hope it's just a matter of time for him before he makes it official.

Parkrun aside that will be my last race of the year, and I'm going to take at least a couple of weeks out. I've been hurting in all kinds of places so it's time to listen to my body for once.
    Originally posted by spikyone

It was absolutely amazing, my time was 2hrs 13 mins but I was really pleased with that first finisher was 1hr 19 mins, the climb was intense but the last 4km was downhill and just great, fantastic views over Snowdonia and the Menai Straits, the best race I've done so far

great time spikyone
    • TheMoneySpider
    • By TheMoneySpider 31st Oct 18, 1:00 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 4,370 Thanks
    TheMoneySpider
    Well half marathon done ... Came in just under 1hr 27 mins.

Wow, that's immense! Congratulations. I was dancing the other day when I got my 10 mile PB below the 90 minute mark!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

102Posts Today

3,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin