Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cnoelj
    • By cnoelj 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    • 28,741Posts
    • 32,513Thanks
    cnoelj
    The All New MSE Running Club.
    • 24th Apr 14, 7:59 AM
    The All New MSE Running Club. 24th Apr 14 at 7:59 AM
    Hello everyone!

This is a message to all MSE runners - and I know that there are many of us. You may be a seasoned veteran with many Marathons under your belt, a club runner, a lone runner, a newbie or someone thinking about taking the plunge into running. Doesn't matter this is for you.

If you have been around for a while you may remember the MSE Running Club which was active for a number of years and was originally set up by Pania. This was an online space to meet up as runners, to receive support and encouragement, to state our goals, to share our running triumphs and frustrations, to seek accountability, ask all those questions we have been afraid to ask and to chat.

Well I have been in the running wilderness for a couple of years (for reasons that I will explain in another post) but as a result of gaining inspiration from the recent London Marathon I have made a commitment to enter it again in 2015.

Chatting on facebook I find that Pania has made a similar commitment and we made an agreement to hold each other accountable to that. From there it just felt good to relaunch the running club and to interact with others who have running goals and are wanting to reach out to others for mutual support.

So whatever your running experience and whatever it is you wish to derive from running, you are welcome to join us. If the previous running club is anything to go by, it will be fun

Must go. Time for a run!

Chris
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
Page 52
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 19th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Last short race for a while for me last night. Went through 5k in 18:28 which is 40 secs faster than I've ever run before
    Back to long slow training for a bit now. aka 5 days in the lake district running around the mountains
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 3rd Aug 17, 6:18 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    18????!?!?! That's so quick!!

I did trailwalker last weekend (100km nonstop).. & I've been having dizzy spells since. Anybody got any experience? I'm drinking and eating lots. Obviously still tired, although my legs feel ok. GP has arranged blood tests tomorrow.
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £16208 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 30th Aug 17, 11:24 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Thought I had best catch up with this thread...

36 mile race completed. I would say successfully but it wasn't quite as I had cramp from mile 15 through to the finish. But still managed to come in 5th not a total disaster. But I will be entering again next year to have a go again hopefully without the cramp next time.

Relaxing week or so now, before the national 6 stage relays in September for me. Then back to long training for a hardmoors marathon in November.
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 31st Aug 17, 2:18 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    Well done indecisiv!

I managed 5km with backache in the rain this morning...not much but done.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 31st Aug 17, 2:38 PM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 7,687 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    impressive.
    I got woken at 4am this morning with cramp in both calves - I shot out of bed and fell over a dog! I can't imagine who hard it must have been to keep going.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 31st Aug 17, 3:48 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    impressive.
    I got woken at 4am this morning with cramp in both calves - I shot out of bed and fell over a dog! I can't imagine who hard it must have been to keep going.
    Originally posted by MallyGirl
    If there had been a marshal at 30 miles in, on the last climb I would have stopped there to be honest. I stood in the forest half way up and had a quick shout as I couldn't lift my legs to climb.
    Luckily I pulled myself together when I got to the top and got on with it albeit slowly and went through the last checkpoint and didn't drop out.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 7th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Thought it about time to update here. Things are still moving in the right direction and my 10k time is now down in the 37:xx's
    Waiting until December for when I will start training properly for Manchester Marathon where I am hoping to go under 3hrs. But I will settle for getting the good for age time for London Marathon, so that I have the option of running that in 2019 or 20 if I want to.

I ran at the National XC Relays on Saturday in Mansfield, that was an eye opener with some really quick runners! I was only 4 mins slower than the fastest runner over 5k!!
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 13th Nov 17, 1:29 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    spikyone
    Thought it about time to update here. Things are still moving in the right direction and my 10k time is now down in the 37:xx's
    Waiting until December for when I will start training properly for Manchester Marathon where I am hoping to go under 3hrs. But I will settle for getting the good for age time for London Marathon, so that I have the option of running that in 2019 or 20 if I want to.

I ran at the National XC Relays on Saturday in Mansfield, that was an eye opener with some really quick runners! I was only 4 mins slower than the fastest runner over 5k!!
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    Congratulations on your times, great to hear they're still coming down. You have me slightly worried though, I was also aiming for a GFA next year, but your shorter runs are a fair bit quicker than mine! Surely a sub-3:00 is well within your sights running at 37:x for 10k?

I've managed a couple of half marathons in the past few months, the first in a low 1:31 but everyone seemed to agree that was more like 13.0 than the full 13.1, the second was just over 1:32, but around 0.05 long according to my watch. Both were almost exactly 7:00/mile pace. I was thinking that with more training and more focus on what I eat and drink, that a GFA (<3:05 for me) would be just about achievable. If I have a really good day.

Either way, good luck with the training and keep posting on here, I'm looking forward to hearing how it's going!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Nov 17, 5:50 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Congratulations on your times, great to hear they're still coming down. You have me slightly worried though, I was also aiming for a GFA next year, but your shorter runs are a fair bit quicker than mine! Surely a sub-3:00 is well within your sights running at 37:x for 10k?
    Originally posted by spikyone
    I am aiming for a sub 3. But that will be tough.
    My good for age is a 3:15 which I why I can aim for sub 3. I figure if it all falls to pieces then I should still hopefully make that.

ETA: To be honest I have not done any runs longer that 13 miles since Augusts 36 mile race until this weekend. Managed a 4:10 marathon (Well just slightly longer than a marathon) with about 1000m of ascent and some really deep mud so hopefully once I start training I will be ok. I really struggled towards the end of that race!
    Last edited by indesisiv; 14-11-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 30th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Time to bring this up into 2018.

1 proper race done so far this year and took 5 mins of my PB for 10 miles with a 1:02:59 ...Glad I could see the clock down the finishing straight to sprint for that extra second.

Training has started for my marathon with a 14 mile effort with 6 miles @6:30 pace then 8 miles easy. On the right track as I went through 13 miles in 1:30:05 which when you take into account that I was running easy for the last 8 miles is quite good. Just need to figure out how to run an extra 13 miles on top at 6:50/mile.
    • KeepOnRunning
    • By KeepOnRunning 30th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    KeepOnRunning
    London Marathon for me! I got in through the ballet so I know I'm very lucky. I hope to finish in under 4 hours but we'll see.
    I've got a couple of halfs and a 20 mile race to help with the normal weekly training so I hope London goes as well as I want it to go!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 31st Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good luck @KeepOnRunning.
    • Southernman
    • By Southernman 11th Feb 18, 7:48 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    Southernman
    Whilst im By no means an ultra runner nor am I fast, I always believe a slow runner is better than someone who spends their days sat on their settee!

Im getting married in 3.5 months so want to avoid looking like a blob in my wedding dress so im Running around 6 miles 4-5 days a week at the moment.

As I only cover 11 min miles, after running for over an hour in the dark and the wet after work its harder to force myself to do much more and I just can;t seem to speed up!

Im hoping that once it gets lighter and dryer in the evenings I can go in the country park. Right now its pitch black with no street lights.

I!!!8217;ve also signed up for a half marathon, my first one im Doing solo!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe £3850/£3500
    Mortgage Debt May 2011- £90,000
    December 2014 £69,993
    Goal- May 2016 £60,000
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    @Southernman you clearly have the base, so if you want to speed up i would try doing some intervals.
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 12th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    spikyone
    @Southernman you clearly have the base, so if you want to speed up i would try doing some intervals.
    +1. Intervals and hills are definitely good for speed!

@Southernman - First up, well done on getting out there!
    Are you always running the same route? It's easy to settle into a "routine" pace if you're just doing the same thing over and over. I would recommend running different routes, and also varying both your speed and distance. Run some longer, slower runs, and some shorter but faster ones. If you look at any training plan the workouts will be quite varied and you rarely do the same thing on consecutive training days.

------

I'm in full-on marathon training now, yesterday was a 2.5 hour run. I managed to hit 20 miles, which I was happy with, and the legs feel surprisingly good today. It's 11 weeks til marathon day so plenty of time to work on endurance and hopefully a bit more pace, knowing that adrenaline and tapering should help on April 29th. It sometimes feels like the training plan is taunting me though, as I'm supposed to be doing an hour on a hilly route today!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 12th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I'm in full-on marathon training now, yesterday was a 2.5 hour run. I managed to hit 20 miles, which I was happy with, and the legs feel surprisingly good today. It's 11 weeks til marathon day so plenty of time to work on endurance and hopefully a bit more pace, knowing that adrenaline and tapering should help on April 29th. It sometimes feels like the training plan is taunting me though, as I'm supposed to be doing an hour on a hilly route today!
    Good effort @spikyone you seem to be a bit further on in your plan than I am
    Which is worrying as I only have 7/8 weeks ... I was out for a 2hr run yesterday in that horrible wind. Admittedly it was a relatively easy effort for 13 miles then with the last 4 at tempo pace.
    • Southernman
    • By Southernman 12th Feb 18, 10:03 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    Southernman
    +1. Intervals and hills are definitely good for speed!

@Southernman - First up, well done on getting out there!
    Are you always running the same route? It's easy to settle into a "routine" pace if you're just doing the same thing over and over. I would recommend running different routes, and also varying both your speed and distance. Run some longer, slower runs, and some shorter but faster ones. If you look at any training plan the workouts will be quite varied and you rarely do the same thing on consecutive training days.

------

Are you doing the Manchester marathon by any chance?

At the moment because the country park is waterlogged i am doing the same 'safe' route. The problem i face as a lone female runner at night is that i have to go along main roads for safety purposes. This does mean i pass 2 McDonalds, a KFC, the McVities biscuit factory and 2 chippies. I should look at some maps to see what other routes i could do.

I don't have a running partner and quite frankly i hate running with others. On race day i absolutely hate having someone hovering nearby all the way around the course.

I have tried to incorporate sprints in my run (today and yesterday), especially at the uphill bits. Tonight when i got home my legs were jelly but i managed to shave 5 mins off my time.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe £3850/£3500
    Mortgage Debt May 2011- £90,000
    December 2014 £69,993
    Goal- May 2016 £60,000
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Originally posted by Southernman
    I'm doing Manchester its at the beginning of April.

Easy day today though after last nights brutal session. 8 x 600m (all at 5:30 miles/min) with only 400m jog recovery.

Personally I like to keep my speed sessions short and separate to my normal training runs as it allows you to put full effort into the reps. I do sometimes put some hill efforts in to a longer run but not at max attack!
    • spikyone
    • By spikyone 13th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    spikyone
    Good effort @spikyone you seem to be a bit further on in your plan than I am
    Which is worrying as I only have 7/8 weeks ... I was out for a 2hr run yesterday in that horrible wind. Admittedly it was a relatively easy effort for 13 miles then with the last 4 at tempo pace.
    Thanks! I think the plan I'm on hits you with big mileage fairly early. I only have a couple of 3 hour runs scheduled between now and marathon day, the rest of my 'long' runs are 2 hours or less. The plan hasn't involved much speed work so far, although last night was an hour on a hilly course and tonight is an hour of Fartlek.
    From what you've said before I think you're starting from a higher level than me so I'm still trying to catch up!

At the moment because the country park is waterlogged i am doing the same 'safe' route. The problem i face as a lone female runner at night is that i have to go along main roads for safety purposes. This does mean i pass 2 McDonalds, a KFC, the McVities biscuit factory and 2 chippies. I should look at some maps to see what other routes i could do.

I don't have a running partner and quite frankly i hate running with others. On race day i absolutely hate having someone hovering nearby all the way around the course.

I have tried to incorporate sprints in my run (today and yesterday), especially at the uphill bits. Tonight when i got home my legs were jelly but i managed to shave 5 mins off my time.
    Originally posted by Southernman
    I'm doing Newport, which is a complete unknown as this is the first year they've held it. It's supposed to be flat...

Well done on pushing over the hills! If your legs are tired then that's also a good excuse to run a slower pace next time out - running slowly will improve your endurance, which helps you out even in shorter events. I understand what you're saying about staying safe. Apps like mapmyrun are good for finding routes nearby that others have used, if you need inspiration.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 13th Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 18,657 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Thanks! I think the plan I'm on hits you with big mileage fairly early. I only have a couple of 3 hour runs scheduled between now and marathon day, the rest of my 'long' runs are 2 hours or less. The plan hasn't involved much speed work so far, although last night was an hour on a hilly course and tonight is an hour of Fartlek.
    From what you've said before I think you're starting from a higher level than me so I'm still trying to catch up!
    My longest run that i have planned in is just less than 2.5 hrs (20 miles). Easy effort at marathon pace + 40 secs per mile. I think I am going to do one run of about 18 miles at marathon pace just for piece of mind and then that is it for me.

I figure that I felt ok for the 17 on sunday so keep the mileage easy. Especially as that was an easy run to see if running 17 miles without water etc was doable.

To be fair I am not doing a plan as such but have a plan i have put together. Which is why some aspects of my training are not necessarily just aimed at running a marathon. And I am not planning on running flat out for the marathon but just aiming for a time that theoretically is well within my ability. Just ticking a box hopefully. If I do another one after this then I can risk pushing harder (I just don't want to blow up on my first marathon)
    Last edited by indesisiv; 13-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin