The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds good, Goldie, sounds good: Mr Goldie, Royal Mail, and pensions/tax :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Even more positive activity today - we've just been holding in depth discussions about shelving in the cupboard under the stairs.

It's an exciting life!:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    You will only fill up the shelves with stuff...... Did you see amazing spaces last night when the couple made a summer house out of old pallets? So impressed.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm all for shelving in out of the way spaces if the living space then becomes more spacious. Or you can store another 20 packs of pasta :D (er, that's really about me ... with these long bouts of illness, its very convenient to have a *lot* of the staples around :o:D

Speaking of making things out of pallets - a council house round here had a fence made out of pallets! I think the council made them take it down, because it didn't last long, but I thought it was really ingenious :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    You will only fill up the shelves with stuff...... Did you see amazing spaces last night when the couple made a summer house out of old pallets? So impressed.

I missed Gorgeous George the other night, but I'm always impressed with the ingenious things that they do on that show.

Karmacat wrote: »
    I'm all for shelving in out of the way spaces if the living space then becomes more spacious. Or you can store another 20 packs of pasta :D (er, that's really about me ... with these long bouts of illness, its very convenient to have a *lot* of the staples around :o:D

j

That's the exact reason we are looking at shelving.

As I've been doing more cooking recently, I've also got more ingredients to store, and everything has become rather haphazard as I try to find a home for things.

We've today bought a small shelving unit from Argos. That will go into the cupboard under the stairs. A wine rack will come out. The wine rack was put in somewhere in the mid 90's. We had our kitchen refitted around 2002, and there's a wine rack in the kitchen now. The rest of the current shelving will be moved around slightly, to make the best use of the space available. Then we'll be able to keep all our stores in one place. It'll free up space in the kitchen, so I'll be able to access my pots and pans easily, and will make room elsewhere in the house too. The 3kg bag of pasta shapes currently on the top shelf of the wardrobe in the spare room (couldn't fit it anywhere else!:rotfl:) can now have a sensible home under the stairs.

I'm a bit too excited about all this:rotfl:

While we were out I used a £10 M&S premium club voucher to put towards the purchase of a pair of shoes. They'll replace the worn out pair I binned a few weeks ago, and will be ideal for days out.
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Even more excitement - Mr Goldie's pension was paid in today, and it looks like they've applied his tax allowance to his pension:j

He has two separate annuities with the same provider, so they are paid in two separate amounts.

Previously, he paid tax on his whole pension.

So, I was now expecting to see one amount completely free of tax and the other amount with just a little bit of tax deducted.

What they've actually done is pay one of the amounts with the tax deducted as before, but they've added it back to the other amount, so the net result is what I was expecting.

Slightly odd way to do it, but the main thing is, it's ended up being the right amount :j

I'm pleased with that, as I put a lot of effort into getting the tax right, so it's a good result :)
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Wow, that was a burst of activity this afternoon.

We've got the new shelving arrangements up in the cupboard under the stairs, and have started to fill the shelves. I'll be transferring more items from the kitchen cupboards, but another day. I took the opportunity to de-clutter a few items as well

Also, I've de-cluttered a drawer which held a lot of personal paperwork, going back several years, kept just in case. The more recent stuff is being kept, but another pile of finely torn up paper is now in recycling.

As a result of all this activity, the de-cluttered total has inched up to 81.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Love reading your diary. Impressed with declutter total too :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    It feels great to get organised! Well done.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Good afternoon all :)

I feel pleased with progress today.

We had a nice walk this morning, then I moved some things from the kitchen cupboards to the cupboard under the stairs. Now I need to move things round in the kitchen to make things more logical and accessible - a job for the upcoming days.

We had HM turkey burgers for lunch - another new to me recipe. They were very nice, so we'll be doing them again

We had a charity bag through the door, so I've lobbed some things in there - various books, gloves, shirts, a scarf, a mug and a couple of bags. New declutter figure - 89

I've listed three things on eBay this afternoon, but the main eBay focus this weekend will be on sales, after last weeks listing blitz. 3 items sold so far, should be more tomorrow and Monday.

But for the rest of the day, general relaxation :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport