Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluep
    • By bluep 31st Mar 14, 9:17 AM
    • 1,249Posts
    • 705Thanks
    bluep
    Foodbank thread - please link to any suitable bargains for bulk purchases
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:17 AM
    Foodbank thread - please link to any suitable bargains for bulk purchases 31st Mar 14 at 9:17 AM
    Our town has recently opened up a food bank and I've been keeping an eye out for any bulk buy bargains and coupons to make the most of the cash I have to spend on donating food. They do such important work - some of the stories of how little people have to live on or feed their children due to unforseen circumstances are heartbreaking. Even if you can't afford to donate food, help me and others by signposting bargains that we might have missed.

So, I thought it would be really useful to have a thread where we can link to absolute bargains found on this site and elsewhere for anyone that wants to get involved (http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-projects has a directory to find the nearest one to you and local churches often act as drop off points).

It would also be really useful to have links/suggestions as to any Aldi/Lidl/Supermarket Basic brand replacements that are REALLY cheap but still great quality.

Food that is suitable:
    - in date and not going out of date quickly (tinned and dried goods)
    - cheap bought in bulk but easy to split into separate items (i.e. 2x 250g of pasta better than 1 x 500g!) - this often makes the food more expensive which is frustrating

Items suggested by Trussel:
    milk (uht or powdered)
    sugar
    fruit juice
    squash
    soup
    pasta sauces
    pasta/rice
    tinned sponge or rice pudding
    tinned tomatoes or other veg
    cereals
    tea bags/instant coffee
    instand mash potato
    tinned meat/fish
    tinned fruit
    jam / spread
    bisuits/snack bars

soap
    toothpaste

Thanks!!
    Last edited by bluep; 31-03-2014 at 9:20 AM.
Page 1
    • bluep
    • By bluep 31st Mar 14, 9:20 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:20 AM
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:20 AM
    For example:
    15 jars of nutella from Amazon 1 each
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nutella-deals-15-200g-glass-jars-nutella-hazelnut-spread-for-15-with-free-delivery-1866770

Rice half price 1 each in Tesco:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/uncle-ben-s-long-grain-rice-500g-uncle-bens-wholegrain-rice-500g-better-than-half-1866432

Chopped tomatos 50p per tin in Tesco
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/parioli-chopped-tomatoes-4-x-400g-parioli-peeled-plum-tomatoes-4x400g-reduced-from-1866426

Tea - 80 bags for 1 in Spar
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/yorkshire-tea-40-40-free-1-spar-1866241
    Last edited by bluep; 01-04-2014 at 6:09 AM.
    • bluep
    • By bluep 31st Mar 14, 9:23 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:23 AM
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:23 AM
    1litre of Vimto for 44p at Tesco
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/1-litre-vimto-44p-tesco-instore-1865459

Colgate toothpaste 97p at Superdrug
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/colgate-triple-action-toothpaste100ml-0-97-superdrug-1865328

although Farmfoods has some 100ml colgate twin packs for 89p as posted by Welshee on MSE

2 boxed of Kelloggs rice crispies / cocopops cereal bars for 1 at Farmfoods (thanks to Mummybeth on HotUkdeals)

Jaffa cakes 2 x 24 for 1 at Farmfoods
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/48-x-jaffa-cakes-mcvities-for-1-00-farmfoods-1866047

Various Kellogg's/Nestle Cereal half Price at Morrisons (thanks to oscarcat at HotUKDeals)

Nestle Chocolatey Cheerio's (330g) - 1.24

Nestle Cheerio's (330g) - 1.24

Kellogg's Just Right - 1.57

Kellogg's Fosties (500G) - 1.14

Rice Krispies Multi Grain Shapes (350g) - 1.14
    Last edited by bluep; 01-04-2014 at 7:50 PM.
    • bluep
    • By bluep 31st Mar 14, 9:48 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:48 AM
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:48 AM
    Standard prices Sainsbury's basic range which are apparently decent substitutes:

Rice pudding - tray of 12 at a time which is currently 1.80 (15p a tin ) compared with ambrosia which is 94p a tin

50p tomato pasta sauce

Basic tea bags - about 30p for a box of 80

Coffee - In a packet instead of a jar for about 50p

Tesco: (from Polaria's shopping list!)
    EV tinned mandarins in juice: 0.26 ?
    EV Pineapple Pieces in juice: 0.36
    EV sultanas: 0.84
    EV Chopped Ham and Pork: 0.67
    Tesco Sardines in Sunflower Oil: 0.50
    Oriental & Pacific Tuna Flakes in Brine: 0.49
    EV Tinned carrots: 0.19
    EV Tinned peas: 0.20
    EV Tinned potatoes: 0.15
    EV Chopped tomatoes: 0.34
    EV spaghetti: 0.20
    EV white rice: 0.40
    EV cornflakes: 0.31
    EV Jam: 0.29
    EV Rice Pudding: 0.15
    EV toilet paper – 4 rolls: 0.67
    EV 20 nappies - 1.41

Lidl: (Polaria again!)
    Own brand baked beans: 4 for 1
    Own brand spaghetti hoops: 4 for 0.60
    Own brand kidney beans: 0.27 ?
    Half skimmed milk UHT 1L: 0.55
    Sardines in oil 0.42 ?
    White Rice: 0.40
    Tinned carrots: 0.20
    Tinned peas: 0.20
    Tinned potatoes: 0.15
    Passata 500g: 0.32
    Chopped tomatoes 400g: 0.34
    Ginger nuts: 0.25
    Curry sauces: 0.79

Aldi
    Instant Noodles - 12p per pack
    Last edited by bluep; 07-04-2014 at 3:06 PM.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 31st Mar 14, 9:59 AM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:59 AM
    • 31st Mar 14, 9:59 AM
    There's 2 massive Aldi/Lidl and Basics threads on the food board - try looking there for what to buy.
    • bluep
    • By bluep 31st Mar 14, 10:00 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    • 31st Mar 14, 10:00 AM
    • 31st Mar 14, 10:00 AM
    Thanks Dom - I'm trawling through the basics/aldi/lidl threads, picking out and posting in the couple of posts above - just useful to have it all in one place as to what is specifically useful for the kind of things that the foodbanks need.
    • Scritti
    • By Scritti 1st Apr 14, 2:44 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Scritti
    • 1st Apr 14, 2:44 AM
    • 1st Apr 14, 2:44 AM
    What a nice thing to do! Thanks mate.

The 160 Yorkshire Tea Bags at Spar for 1? Thought that was too good to be true, it's actually for 80 bags (40 + 40 "free"). Still a bargain though.

I can remember many years ago having no fridge and having to live off of less than 3 per week for food and had beans on toast every single day. Once a month I had enough coppers saved to get a bag of chips from the chippy and treated myself. Had half a bag with beans and had the other half warmed up the next day. Was looking after a bedridden partner and we were extremely poor to say the least. A food bank back in those days would have been very welcome indeed.

I'll definitely donate as soon as I'm debt-free later this year.
    • Polaria
    • By Polaria 2nd Apr 14, 2:18 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Polaria
    • 2nd Apr 14, 2:18 PM
    • 2nd Apr 14, 2:18 PM
    Hello,

I have become quite savvy at purchasing food for my local food bank (sadly it is not the case anymore as I have moved a few months ago ). I used to buy at Lidl and Tesco.

Prices at Lidl may be slightly different; those are the prices I remember.

Please also note that some food banks accept fresh vegetables and fruit with relatively long shelf life such as onions or apples (this was the case for my local food bank).

Lidl:
    Own brand baked beans: 4 for 1
    Own brand spaghetti hoops: 4 for 0.60
    Own brand kidney beans: 0.27 ?
    Half skimmed milk UHT 1L: 0.55
    Sardines in oil 0.42 ?
    White Rice: 0.40
    Tinned carrots: 0.20
    Tinned peas: 0.20
    Tinned potatoes: 0.15
    Passata 500g: 0.32
    Chopped tomatoes 400g: 0.34
    Ginger nuts: 0.25
    Curry sauces: 0.79

Tesco:
    EV tinned mandarins in juice: 0.26 ?
    EV Pineapple Pieces in juice: 0.36
    EV sultanas: 0.84
    EV Chopped Ham and Pork: 0.67
    Tesco Sardines in Sunflower Oil: 0.50
    Oriental & Pacific Tuna Flakes in Brine: 0.49
    EV Tinned carrots: 0.19
    EV Tinned peas: 0.20
    EV Tinned potatoes: 0.15
    EV Chopped tomatoes: 0.34
    EV spaghetti: 0.20
    EV white rice: 0.40
    EV cornflakes: 0.31
    EV Jam: 0.29
    EV Rice Pudding: 0.15
    EV toilet paper 4 rolls: 0.67
    EV 20 nappies - 1.41

Pol
    Do Something Amazing - Give Blood
    Apologies for my language mistakes - I am not a native English speaker!
    • bluep
    • By bluep 3rd Apr 14, 9:02 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    • 3rd Apr 14, 9:02 PM
    • 3rd Apr 14, 9:02 PM
    Thanks Polaria - that's really useful. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about on one hand wanting to buy as much as I can quantity-wise for my money to donate to the food bank but on the other hand why should people have to eat really rubbish food!?! So I'd rather pay 13p for a tin of rice pudding instead of 96p but not if its not very nice to eat at all!
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 3rd Apr 14, 10:06 PM
    • 9,959 Posts
    • 13,247 Thanks
    bylromarha
    I think most people on this website are already savvy shoppers and good at getting value for money.

Why not do what I do and just pick up extras of what you're buying for yourself? I know I'm getting a good deal anyway, so have no qualms about putting in extra tins/packets/loo roll for foodbank.

Our local Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys all have collection points after the checkouts, as well as the church who run it. Dead simple to bag up the goods purchased for foodbank, then drop it off after my shop at Aldi.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • Polaria
    • By Polaria 4th Apr 14, 7:35 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Polaria
    Thanks Polaria - that's really useful. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about on one hand wanting to buy as much as I can quantity-wise for my money to donate to the food bank but on the other hand why should people have to eat really rubbish food!?! So I'd rather pay 13p for a tin of rice pudding instead of 96p but not if its not very nice to eat at all!
    Originally posted by bluep
    I buy most of the items on this list for my household as well, so I know their quality is fine.
    Do Something Amazing - Give Blood
    Apologies for my language mistakes - I am not a native English speaker!
    • wendym
    • By wendym 4th Apr 14, 11:07 AM
    • 2,904 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    wendym
    Approved Food - you can search for in date items only. Delivery is not cheap, but they sometimes have offers on that.

http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/latest_products

There's a thread on here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2624867

Some people have had problems, but I think they've really got their act together. The real bargains are 'case prices' but you have to spend to save.

What a great idea this thread is.
    • bluep
    • By bluep 5th Apr 14, 8:39 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    I think most people on this website are already savvy shoppers and good at getting value for money.

Why not do what I do and just pick up extras of what you're buying for yourself? I know I'm getting a good deal anyway, so have no qualms about putting in extra tins/packets/loo roll for foodbank.

Our local Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys all have collection points after the checkouts, as well as the church who run it. Dead simple to bag up the goods purchased for foodbank, then drop it off after my shop at Aldi.
    Originally posted by bylromarha
    This doesn't quite work for me in the same way as I tend to buy bulk for my family because this works out cheapest. Our foodbank has a fair lot of single people/single mums with one child so they have said that they find it much easier to deal with smaller packs of a variety of food rather than one huge pack.

I did start off just adding an extra pack of heinz baked beans but then it got me thinking - why give 4 tins of heinz, if I can buy 8 tins of another for the same cash. Hence the thought of collating what were good buys - as I think Aldi/Lidl/savers brand can be hit or miss unless you are in the know.

Plus, rather than just buying a couple of extra items each shop, I'll save up our nectar/clubcard points or spare cash and do a 50 shop every few weeks or month for them - so the challenge for me is to get as much value out of that as I can
    • meg72
    • By meg72 6th Apr 14, 11:21 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    I now only buy the sp or value rice pudding, 15p at the moment and its really nice.
    Slimming World at target
    • Dazedandconfused
    • By Dazedandconfused 6th Apr 14, 11:33 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    Dazedandconfused
    The sainsburys basics range is actually really good. Except I prefer the tesco cheapo tea bags. I use most of it myself.

I try to put at Least 2-3 items in the foodbanks trolley eyery week.
    People seem to put in a lot of higher value but no better quality stuff I've noticed which is a shame IMO as they could be feeding more for their money although obv all donations are good.

I put in kidney beans, chopped toms, baked beans, rice, pasta, dried milk, flour, coffee, juice, pasta sauce, tinned potatos, pudding rice, soya milk, raisins, sainsburys basics white choc - which if you haven't tried you must as it tastes much nicer than 30p quite a lot.

They won't accept fruit or veg fresh at my local one
    • bluep
    • By bluep 7th Apr 14, 12:35 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    I agree - I think there is far better value for money to be had than what people currently donate (but hey, better to have something donated than nothing at all!). I also think its a shame that so much of it are things like biscuits, instant noodles, instant potato mash, tins - I'd rather buy big sacks of potatos and veg that will last a while (I'm sure carrots/potatos/onions would be viable for quite a while as would a huge sack of rice and splitting it into smaller bags at the food bank). Anyhow, I'm thinking of stocking up when I next go to Costco on whatever they have on special offer that fits what they've asked for. I reakon I can spare around 50 a month to donate so find it a challenge to get value for money!
    • meg72
    • By meg72 7th Apr 14, 2:44 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    I agree - I think there is far better value for money to be had than what people currently donate (but hey, better to have something donated than nothing at all!). I also think its a shame that so much of it are things like biscuits, instant noodles, instant potato mash, tins - I'd rather buy big sacks of potatos and veg that will last a while (I'm sure carrots/potatos/onions would be viable for quite a while as would a huge sack of rice and splitting it into smaller bags at the food bank). Anyhow, I'm thinking of stocking up when I next go to Costco on whatever they have on special offer that fits what they've asked for. I reakon I can spare around 50 a month to donate so find it a challenge to get value for money!
    Our local foodbank does not take fruit and veg also they say not allowed to split sacks of rice and pasta so only take small packs.
    Slimming World at target
    • bluep
    • By bluep 7th Apr 14, 3:07 PM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    bluep
    Sorry if that was unclear, I know they don't split large sacks but I was saying that it is a shame as it would be far more economical if they did.
    • mrsHall2b
    • By mrsHall2b 9th Apr 14, 8:46 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    mrsHall2b
    just wanted to post people putting all kinds of beans and pulses etc in, they will likely be thrown away as alot of people using the food banks arnt going to know how to use them or have other ingredients to use them with.

i know of a few people who have used it and all they where interested in where the crisps and canned meal type things. many people dont have the skills to cook properly now
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Apr 14, 7:30 PM
    • 18,964 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    richardw
    just wanted to post people putting all kinds of beans and pulses etc in, they will likely be thrown away as alot of people using the food banks arnt going to know how to use them or have other ingredients to use them with.

i know of a few people who have used it and all they where interested in where the crisps and canned meal type things. many people dont have the skills to cook properly now
    Originally posted by mrsHall2b
    They need this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Called-Jack-delicious-recipes/dp/0718178947 then or a few print outs from http://agirlcalledjack.com/tag/recipes/
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

777Posts Today

5,081Users online

Martin's Twitter