Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    MadMonkey
    Property snake is having problems
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:26 PM
    Property snake is having problems 3rd Jul 07 at 2:26 PM
    Hi - someone on here pointed me in the direction or property snake which was a very useful website.

Initially there was about 20 pages of properties in my area - then suddenly last night it went to 2.

I emailed them and apparantly Rightmove have stopped them using the properties off there

Not sure how they can enforce this as surely anyone can make a note of house prices and then compare them a week later ?

Anyway thought i would share in case anyone uses this site.
Page 1
  • budget_counsellor_shaz
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:36 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:36 PM
    shocking

Why would they do that? Surely they want the houses to sell? Any advertising is free advertising. Or are they worried about consumers having too much information? :rolleyes:
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 3rd Jul 07, 2:38 PM
    • 23,737 Posts
    • 12,199 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:38 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:38 PM
    Not sure how they can enforce this as surely anyone can make a note of house prices and then compare them a week later ?
    You can read what you like but you aren't able to publish it.

Have you ever seen the copyright notices on books and DVD?
    You can use them for your own personal consumption but not for publication to the general public.

IANAL but I would guess that the same applies here.
  • garethhr
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:44 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:44 PM
    I dont know if the analogy applies, a DVD of Book is designed for private consumption, whereas a public house listing on the web is meant for anyone and everyone. The parent directory of every web page is called 'public' html.

There's an argument that says, if you dont want your listings to be public, why print them openly on the web, in the first place?
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 3rd Jul 07, 2:53 PM
    • 26,604 Posts
    • 71,429 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 3rd Jul 07, 2:53 PM
    Oh well, that was fun while it lasted.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Rover
    • By Rover 3rd Jul 07, 2:53 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Rover
    Let's not kid ourselves.
    PS, gave the impression (rightly or wrongly) of a falling market. That's not in Rightmove's (or any EA's) interests - hence the 'ban'.
    It's all bad news for the Bull market, what with Tesco's, rising interest rates, correction warnings, etc, etc.
    anger, denial, acceptance
  • wecanhelpu
    • 3rd Jul 07, 3:00 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 3:00 PM
    That's correct Rover.

Nothing must be allowed to give the impression that HPI cannot continue forever and any hint of falling prices is frowned upon by VIs
    • mystic_trev
    • By mystic_trev 3rd Jul 07, 3:10 PM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 15,365 Thanks
    mystic_trev
    • 3rd Jul 07, 3:10 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 3:10 PM
    What - house prices can't keep going up!?

I notice some Economists just told the Irish to expect yoy drops of 5% for the next ten years!

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010493.shtml
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Jul 07, 3:38 PM
    • 38,862 Posts
    • 162,320 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Jul 07, 3:38 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 3:38 PM
    Some properties round here went up in price (mad I know, if they didn't sell at X why would they sell at more?). Anyway property snake conveniently didn't include them, so it was biased from the start.
  • irnbru
    Some properties round here went up in price (mad I know, if they didn't sell at X why would they sell at more?). Anyway property snake conveniently didn't include them, so it was biased from the start.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    :confused:

It's purpose was to report asking-price drops.
  • nelly
    Rightmove have told the lad who runs the site to pack it in cos their *****

The eas will have been bleating about it like a bunch of fairies.

However Tesco should shut that lot up once and for all
    • Snow Dog
    • By Snow Dog 3rd Jul 07, 5:20 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Snow Dog
    Tesco - am I missing something here, are we talking about the food retailer?
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 3rd Jul 07, 5:29 PM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    I guess that Rightmove's gripe is that the data belongs to them. Anyone else profiting from their data should have permission/licences.

The football fixture lists are also copyrighted. IMO, property snake should call RM's bluff and see what the courts have to say. Could be expensive though but I'd be happy to register on property snake and donate a tenner.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • nelly
    I guess that Rightmove's gripe is that the data belongs to them. Anyone else profiting from their data should have permission/licences.

The football fixture lists are also copyrighted. IMO, property snake should call RM's bluff and see what the courts have to say. Could be expensive though but I'd be happy to register on property snake and donate a tenner.

GG
    Originally posted by Gorgeous George
    Im fairy sure he makes no profit and it could be argued the data is the house owners I suppose
  • kodokan
    Originally posted by Snow Dog
    Have you not set foot in a 24 hr Tesco Extra lately..? The food is very much an afterthought nowadays.

Bit like Honda, when the company first started. First of all it was only the lawnmower manufacturers who were worried about the rather excellent new competition. Then the motorcycle makers got a bit concerned. It was only when it got to cars that everyone else realised that Honda had never defined itself as 'a conpany that makes lawnmowers', or 'a company that makes motorbikes'. It very much saw itself as 'a company that makes ENGINES'...

kodokan
  • nelly
    Originally posted by Snow Dog
    Tesco are coming into the housing market flogging houses for 200 quid

And the way tesco get stuck into a project by this time next year there will be no such thing as an estate agent

I wonder if they'll still be pimping hpi when they are all on the dole?
    • Rover
    • By Rover 3rd Jul 07, 8:03 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Rover
    Rightmove don't like Tesco either.....
    Talk about a vested interest group !!
    anger, denial, acceptance
  • courtjester
    Why would you think that Rightmove have a vested interest ... surely not just because they are owned and operated by the three largest estate agent groups in the UK, Halifax, Countrywide /Bairstowes and Connells... ? :rolleyes:
    • olly300
    • By olly300 4th Jul 07, 10:33 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    Rightmove don't like Tesco either.....
    Talk about a vested interest group !!
    Originally posted by Rover
    They ban anyone who threatens their market strangle hold or says they will take them to court.

If they had sense they would just buy propertysnake up .......then gradually close the site down on the quiet. Remains me of a certain large supermarket and engine manufacturer.
  • jay7
    Here's my view:

Propertysnake helped buyers find out how long properties have been on the market and how much vendors dropped the prices. This put informed buyers into a stronger position.

Estate agents earn commissions so they are interested in higher property prices. They don't like the strong position of informed buyers in the negotiation with vendors.

Estate agents are Rightmove's customers. Moreover, Rightmove is partially owned by Countriwide estate agents. Therefore, quite logically, Rightmove doesn't want buyers to be fully informed about price drops etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,005Posts Today

6,831Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin