Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    TazFrank1
    ERUDIO student loans help
    • 16th Mar 14, 10:32 PM
    ERUDIO student loans help 16th Mar 14 at 10:32 PM
    HI,

My student loan has recently been sold to erudio student loans company. I currently defer my loan as I am below the salary threshold to pay it back. The letter states that erudio will supply details of my loan to credit rating agencies, something that has never been done before. There have never been any details of my student loan on my credit file. Will this adversely effect my credit score?? I know I am right to defer as I do not earn enough to start paying it back, however, I am worried that a 10k student loan debt that has not been paid off can only be a bad thing for my credit score

thanks
Page 314
    • Gemma.riley22
    • By Gemma.riley22 11th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemma.riley22
    I think theyíre requesting the full amount.
    • Gemma.riley22
    • By Gemma.riley22 11th Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemma.riley22
    Theyíre requesting the full amount
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 11th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Impossible to say, but they are allowed to ask for full payment I think. You really need to get written confirmation from them as to exactly the state of your account asap.

e: just saw your extra posts. Are you talking to them right now?
    • Gemma.riley22
    • By Gemma.riley22 11th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gemma.riley22
    No, Iím going to email and see where I stand. Thanks for the advice.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 13th Apr 18, 1:07 AM
    • 4,908 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    No, Iím going to email and see where I stand. Thanks for the advice.
    Originally posted by Gemma.riley22
    They'll lie to you, they only care about getting money out of you.

Get some proper independent advice.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 24th Apr 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Will the GDPR have any impact on our dealings with Erudio? The SLC have a GDPR statement on their website, but Erudio don't have a single mention that I can find.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 24th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    badmemory
    Surely GDPR only applies to a company which is regulated. They appear to avoid regulation and therefore would see no need to comply. How can a government sell student loans to a company that is unregulated?
    • ElwoodBlues
    • By ElwoodBlues 24th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ElwoodBlues
    So it begins....deferment paperwork sent off. Let's see what fun stuff happens this year.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    Deferment confirmed with no issues :O I can't help but feel unsettled, as though something bad is about to happen.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    You got a deferment accepted and confirmed 5 days after applying, am I reading that right? And that was done by post? Never known Erudio to be that efficient!

Did they send you a paper copy of the deferment for unprompted?

I still haven't had any response to my deferment application that I sent them last August. No acknowledgement, accepetance, nothing. Not even arrears notices!
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 24th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Lungboy
    You got a deferment accepted and confirmed 5 days after applying, am I reading that right? And that was done by post? Never known Erudio to be that efficient!

Did they send you a paper copy of the deferment for unprompted?

I still haven't had any response to my deferment application that I sent them last August. No acknowledgement, accepetance, nothing. Not even arrears notices!
    Originally posted by ElwoodBlues
    I do it all by email. Yes, they sent the deferment form in the post unprompted and on time to the day. It's a strange new world and I don't like it.
    • ColonelKurtz
    • By ColonelKurtz 21st May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ColonelKurtz
    erudio contacted me and as i aint working at present i need to defer it

i got a copy of the erudio loan instruction for filling the form off the internet

it says i my esa isnt included but i need to tell them how much and how often fair enough

but it says i dont need to send them evidence of it, thats a bit of weird thing

i never read this whole thread but i take it they are playing funny !!!!!!s and supplying missleading contradicting information all over the place then when you follow the instructions they refuse deferment ?

im not getting into a fight with them over this my health isnt the best and i could do without the worry of them not allowing my deferment

it seems over the top though at the end of filling in the online form they say the want bank account statement, benefit award letter details of my tsb dd £5 a month reward and debit card £5 a month reward details

all of these things are on my bank statement ?

and although i would love to blnk out my expenditures through my bank account i see a few pages ago that financil services ombudsman has up held that the loanee is not allowed to blank out expenditures

its a joke but hey im not in a fit state to fight with them over their misleading and contradictory advice by form which differs from their online dictact at the end of the form and no doubt would be different again if i had to contact them via the phone, so i'll try and do as they say and see what happens
    Last edited by ColonelKurtz; 22-05-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    • erudioed
    • By erudioed 22nd May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    erudioed
    As far as i know, you can blank out anything on a bank statement unrelated to Erudio..just leave date, name, account number and balance.
    Concerning the GDPR, Erudio are one in need of scrutiny, especially Arrow Global's database (where it sells access to data it has gathered via all of its accounts and purchasing of companies on all its victims) run on Experian's platform . I long have suspected that if it were possible to get to the bottom of it, that Erudio has sold data to private companies that we gave to the government in confidence when we agreed to our loans. I dont know the law or ins and outs but i am sure there is something out there that makes this borderline illegal...and potentially compensatable.
    • ColonelKurtz
    • By ColonelKurtz 22nd May 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ColonelKurtz
    good to know that i can blank out any unrelated expenditures, cheers for that

i phoned them this afternoon and the erudio employee although very nice when i asked him about the deferment evidence needed for confirmation, he told me but in the process i told him about my health problems he was very interested in this and was taking notes

i later found out, everything about my health was getting typed into the computer, he asked me how often i'm unwell and how bad it gets and how often, is this part of erudios remit now to delve into and question loanees health issues ? it took me by surprise i guess it shouldnt have but it did

i did ask him why are you asking all this stuff to do with my health he said it was to enable erudio to help me in the future

i feel a bit stupid for being led into giving out more information than i intended but he did end the call by saying if i wanted the information he had recorded on the computer about my health removed from erudios and its bigger subsidiary they would do so, this part he seemed to be reading from a script

you really do need to be on your guard talking to these people not that i have anything to hide mind! it's just that i don't think anyone should be bossed about the way they seem to do

thanks again for the information
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 22nd May 18, 11:40 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    By calling in the loan- does this mean Iíll have to begin to pay them? If so can I then offer a token payment or will I need to pay what they ask?
    Originally posted by Gemma.riley22

Hi, Gemma. Do not make a token payment or pay any money to them until you've sought advice. National Debt Line are super helpful! When was the last time you made a payment? https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/time-limits-for-recovering-debts/statute-barred-debt.aspx
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 22nd May 18, 11:48 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    good to know that i can blank out any unrelated expenditures, cheers for that

i phoned them this afternoon and the erudio employee although very nice when i asked him about the deferment evidence needed for confirmation, he told me but in the process i told him about my health problems he was very interested in this and was taking notes

i later found out, everything about my health was getting typed into the computer, he asked me how often i'm unwell and how bad it gets and how often, is this part of erudios remit now to delve into and question loanees health issues ? it took me by surprise i guess it shouldnt have but it did

i did ask him why are you asking all this stuff to do with my health he said it was to enable erudio to help me in the future

i feel a bit stupid for being led into giving out more information than i intended but he did end the call by saying if i wanted the information he had recorded on the computer about my health removed from erudios and its bigger subsidiary they would do so, this part he seemed to be reading from a script

you really do need to be on your guard talking to these people not that i have anything to hide mind! it's just that i don't think anyone should be bossed about the way they seem to do

thanks again for the information
    Originally posted by ColonelKurtz

There's certain benefits which don't count as income, so this could be why he asked; http://www.erudiostudentloans.co.uk/lib/docs/145040-how-to-guide-getting-your-deferment-application-formright.pdf
    Disabled students can have a longer deferment period, and they can cancel the loan if you're not able to return to work. I really wouldn't read too much into their info gathering, just be aware that they can make life easier for you incase you have to remind them of this.

Best wishes
    • Jspen71
    • By Jspen71 23rd May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jspen71
    Hi all. First post on here. Iíll try not to go into the full details as it will take for ever. Basically Iíve been in dispute with first the SLC and now the vultures called Erudio. My loans are from 1996, 1997and 1998.

This saga started about 8 years ago when I was battling alcoholism and depression, which caused various job losses and the breakdown of my relationship. I left my partner and almost immediately quit the booze. For a few years I struggled with quite bad depression and anxiety, so I basically worked enough to keep my head above water. I also moved around a bit, so details are hazy.

I sent off the deferment form a couple of times and SLC claimed they never sent it and another time I never even received it one time. SLC at the time claimed that as I had not sent it by recorded delivery it is my fault etc etc etc.

Last year I put a complaint in as I was being phoned numerous times by the vultures. The complaint was dismissed out of hand and as I cannot remember the details I find it hard to recomplain. They even asked for doctors notes detailing my depression. I was quite ill for a couple of years and would not leave my flat.

Last week they rang me again Saying that I must fill in an Income and expenditure form and make an offer on the arrears. I know I owe this money and wish I could pay it off and get them off my back once and for all. My income is still well below the repayment limit. Iím self employed and am trying to grow my business.

My question is. Do I have to fill In the income and expenditure form? I believe that is an invasion of privacy. I want to make an offer of £50 a month just to !!!! them up.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 23rd May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Hi all. First post on here. Iíll try not to go into the full details as it will take for ever. Basically Iíve been in dispute with first the SLC and now the vultures called Erudio. My loans are from 1996, 1997and 1998.

This saga started about 8 years ago when I was battling alcoholism and depression, which caused various job losses and the breakdown of my relationship. I left my partner and almost immediately quit the booze. For a few years I struggled with quite bad depression and anxiety, so I basically worked enough to keep my head above water. I also moved around a bit, so details are hazy.

I sent off the deferment form a couple of times and SLC claimed they never sent it and another time I never even received it one time. SLC at the time claimed that as I had not sent it by recorded delivery it is my fault etc etc etc.

Last year I put a complaint in as I was being phoned numerous times by the vultures. The complaint was dismissed out of hand and as I cannot remember the details I find it hard to recomplain. They even asked for doctors notes detailing my depression. I was quite ill for a couple of years and would not leave my flat.

Last week they rang me again Saying that I must fill in an Income and expenditure form and make an offer on the arrears. I know I owe this money and wish I could pay it off and get them off my back once and for all. My income is still well below the repayment limit. Iím self employed and am trying to grow my business.

My question is. Do I have to fill In the income and expenditure form? I believe that is an invasion of privacy. I want to make an offer of £50 a month just to !!!! them up.
    Originally posted by Jspen71

The pre 1998 loans can be statute barred (it means they are not enforceable so they can't chase you for it) providing you haven't acknowledged the debt in writing for more than 6 years and you haven't made a payment. There's more information here; https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/time-limits-for-recovering-debts/statute-barred-debt.aspx If this applies to you, you just need to send them a statute barred letter. Ignore the income/expenses form, and don't make an offer until you've checked this out.
    • Jspen71
    • By Jspen71 23rd May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jspen71
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Itís probaly about 6 years ago since I made a payment but I have deferred the loans for the last few years
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 23rd May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Itís probaly about 6 years ago since I made a payment but I have deferred the loans for the last few years
    Originally posted by Jspen71

It might be a good idea if you had a chat to National Debt Line as they will be able to give you advice You can use the link and click on the right of the page and have a web chat (tomorrow, as it's closed now).
    • david555
    • By david555 11th Jun 18, 8:54 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    david555
    Hi all.

My partner has been contacted for her annual deferment from Erudio (she was previously using Student Loans Company LTD). As she has never earned more than the repayment limit and has been raising our children since quitting work in 2013 we expected the usual questions but this year they're asking for more information after they have confirmed she's deferred for another year.

As mentioned in previous posts in this thread she's been asked to complete a income and expenditure form, including my monthly wages. I'm the sole provider for our household and all bills are paid by me and are paid from my account. She has no income and is not in work.

We supplied her latest bank statement and a signed letter from me stating the above, as we do every year, and received two emails back. One saying her deferment is approved for another year shortly followed by this (apologies for the length of post already):

"We can confirm your deferment has now been completed and accepted for a further 12 months. Correspondence will be issued to your address to confirm your new deferment period.

Please be aware, part of the current outstanding arrears balance is due to missed contractual payments which have become due since your deferment ended on 24/07/2011 and subsequent deferment started on 25/06/2014. We can confirm that any arrears which have accrued since the expiry date of your last deferment will be rolled back up to a maximum of three months, however due to arrears being due out with this 3 month period these will remain outstanding.

Please complete the attached Income and Expenditure Form (I&E). This will help us to understand your current circumstances more clearly. Once you've filled this in and included a proposal for repayment, please return it to us at your earliest convenience. We will review your I&E to make sure your offer of repayment is affordable and contact you further."

We have paperwork confirming deferment was accepted between the disputed periods of 2011 and 2014 so we will not be setting up any payment and they should also retract their assumption she is in arrears and has missed payment. Is this correct?

Secondly we won't file anything to do with my wages in the I&E form as they have zero baring on her income, as she receives none, and the same goes for our outgoings. To me this is a massive invasion of privacy and again irrelevant to her repayment status. It seems they are trying to get any amount of money through any tactic and we can file the documents confirming deferment between 2011 and 2014 and await this merry dance again next year. Is this again correct?

As a few have said up here they are clearly trying to get money from people which is fine if they are truly liable but to me they seem to be stacking up information, sending out subtle threats to arrange a repayment all without any substance or right to do so.

I'm going to speak to the National Debt Helpline tomorrow and run this by them as it smells a little suspect to me.

So, what is the consensus of the MSE group?

David
    Last edited by david555; 11-06-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 12th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 1,497 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    Lungboy
    If you have documents proving you were granted deferment in the years they say you weren't then yes, you are fine. You could simply do nothing, or for peace of mind, you could send them scanned copies with a letter stating your position.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

564Posts Today

8,844Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin