Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    TazFrank1
    ERUDIO student loans help
    • 16th Mar 14, 10:32 PM
    ERUDIO student loans help 16th Mar 14 at 10:32 PM
    HI,

My student loan has recently been sold to erudio student loans company. I currently defer my loan as I am below the salary threshold to pay it back. The letter states that erudio will supply details of my loan to credit rating agencies, something that has never been done before. There have never been any details of my student loan on my credit file. Will this adversely effect my credit score?? I know I am right to defer as I do not earn enough to start paying it back, however, I am worried that a 10k student loan debt that has not been paid off can only be a bad thing for my credit score

thanks
Page 312
    • erudioed
    • By erudioed 26th Jan 18, 7:19 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    erudioed
    Bellaboo123: I am sure most reading this thread know what scumbags the groups behind Erudio are, so you are in good company. You have to reject Erudio's assertions by telling them you wish to file an official complaint, threatening them that you will definitely take this to the Ombudsman. Then you have to wait until they give you their answer. Then you can file a complaint with the Ombudsman. That is unfortunately the only path we have against these vultures.
    You can also reach out to journalists who have covered Erudio in the past, you can find them easily with a google search. With the next batch of student loans in the process of being sold, now will be quite a good time for another newsworthy story about what happens after the loans are sold to these private vultures (this should coincide with this years deferment cat and mouse cycle due to kick off in a couple of months...i wonder what they are planning this year).
    Last edited by erudioed; 26-01-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    • Bellaboo123
    • By Bellaboo123 30th Jan 18, 11:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bellaboo123
    They ask about interest earned Lungboy. They always have a way!
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 30th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Interest is fair enough as that counts as income, but the lump sum is nothing to do with them.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 15th Feb 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    The Ombudsman made their final decision and it was in favour of Erudio, so be warned that they are allowed to refuse deferment if you supply redacted paperwork according to the FOS.
    • erudioed
    • By erudioed 16th Feb 18, 11:55 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    erudioed
    what was redacted?
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 17th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Most things except gross pay as that's all I'm supposed to need to show.

e: I'm talking about my payslips, not other paperwork.
    Last edited by Lungboy; 17-02-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    • erudioed
    • By erudioed 17th Feb 18, 2:04 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    erudioed
    That sucks.
    I always suspected this was one of the benefits of the portal and deferring on erudio's website to erudio, apart from the sheer cost reduction, was so that they could re-redact documents sent to them if documents were redacted via a computer programme and sent directly or any other documents werent redacted before being scanned before being sent to them.
    • Pluthero
    • By Pluthero 17th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Pluthero
    The Ombudsman made their final decision and it was in favour of Erudio, so be warned that they are allowed to refuse deferment if you supply redacted paperwork according to the FOS.
    Originally posted by Lungboy
    The FOS are not the LAW. Infact they have been shown to useless/idiotic etc. You dont have to abide by their decision/reasoning.

My advice. Ignore any Erudio rulings/findings/ or their take on the deferment process. Submit your income evidence as you did under the original loan terms. Erudio will threaten many many things. They have NEVER taken anyone to court or put any loans on CRA's. Threat is their business model and it works. Stand up to them and ignore them.

I was allegedly in default for 3 THREE years after they knocked back my bespoke deferment forms. The FOS were USELESS.

I kept defering every year while allegedly in default, threatened with court/termination ETC ETC. I told erudio to take me to court as I had a paper trail of all my deferment and that I was perfectly within my rights.

Last year they wiped all arrears and threats

I cannot believe anyone would believe a thing erudio says. Call their bluff. And ignore them until you are summoned to court (this wont happen, costs money for them with no real promise of a return)

HTH
    • zombi
    • By zombi 21st Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    zombi
    Hello again (very long time no see)
    A couple of years ago I had to go through the FOS as Erudio stole some money from my account. Eventually the FOS ruled in my favour after a massively long and stressful period.

I graduated in 2000 and have split loans (2 with Erudio and 1 with Thesis) and the SLC have always sent my deferment form which once completed and deferment is accepted they send on to Thesis and Erudio.

HOWEVER, today i receive the usual SLC deferment package and only one loan is listed (Thesis). No mention of Erudio anywhere. Have Erudio made any changes while i've been off this forum? I'll email the SLC tomorrow but i'm betting they'll say to contact Erudio which I do not want to do. I want to fill out the nice SLC form for both loans, no way do i want to or feel i have to complete Erudio's.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by zombi; 21-02-2018 at 8:24 PM. Reason: Forgot summat
    meh...
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 22nd Feb 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Hello again (very long time no see)
    A couple of years ago I had to go through the FOS as Erudio stole some money from my account. Eventually the FOS ruled in my favour after a massively long and stressful period.

I graduated in 2000 and have split loans (2 with Erudio and 1 with Thesis) and the SLC have always sent my deferment form which once completed and deferment is accepted they send on to Thesis and Erudio.

HOWEVER, today i receive the usual SLC deferment package and only one loan is listed (Thesis). No mention of Erudio anywhere. Have Erudio made any changes while i've been off this forum? I'll email the SLC tomorrow but i'm betting they'll say to contact Erudio which I do not want to do. I want to fill out the nice SLC form for both loans, no way do i want to or feel i have to complete Erudio's.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by zombi
    It is definitely the SLC that should be dealing with your loan as per this FOI response. IT could have changed since then i suppose, but nobody has mentioned anything about it. I seem to recall multiple people posting in here about SLC not realising they are supposed to deal with these split loans, so it might come down to who you speak to. Try again and if no luck, raise a formal complaint.
    • GirlGeek
    • By GirlGeek 24th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    GirlGeek
    I had exactly the same thing happen a few years ago. I also got a deferment pack from SLC yesterday that only mentioned Thesis and not Erudio. I phoned SLC straight away, not wanting to get in to it with Erudio! The first person I spoke to was no help at all and said to call Erudio. I called the number on a previous SLC letter that is listed as Erudio help. Once they guy had confirmed who I was he said that I could send back the latest deferment as usual and add in the numbers of the Erudio loans.
    He said that Erudio are meant to request that SLC send out a deferment pack on their behalf (but obviously haven't), SLC then send it out to us and inform Erudio of the result, as they have previously.
    I will be sending my pack back on Monday with the added loan numbers from Erudio and keeping my fingers crossed that the guy at SLC is correct in what he's told me to do. He said that nothing has changed if you have loans held by more than one company, SLC are still administering them.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Kellie
    • zombi
    • By zombi 26th Feb 18, 3:12 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    zombi
    I had exactly the same thing happen a few years ago. I also got a deferment pack from SLC yesterday that only mentioned Thesis and not Erudio. I phoned SLC straight away, not wanting to get in to it with Erudio! The first person I spoke to was no help at all and said to call Erudio. I called the number on a previous SLC letter that is listed as Erudio help. Once they guy had confirmed who I was he said that I could send back the latest deferment as usual and add in the numbers of the Erudio loans.
    He said that Erudio are meant to request that SLC send out a deferment pack on their behalf (but obviously haven't), SLC then send it out to us and inform Erudio of the result, as they have previously.
    I will be sending my pack back on Monday with the added loan numbers from Erudio and keeping my fingers crossed that the guy at SLC is correct in what he's told me to do. He said that nothing has changed if you have loans held by more than one company, SLC are still administering them.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Kellie
    Originally posted by GirlGeek

I emailed SLC and they were quite helpful. They said that their new deferment form system had experienced an issue whereby they're not printing out with all account numbers for multiple loan holders.... The SLC rep that responded said he'd deferred me for this year and will send on to Erudio asap. Hopefully that will keep Erudio quiet for another year *fingers crossed*
    meh...
    • lemonverbena
    • By lemonverbena 1st Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    lemonverbena
    My SLC deferment letter has no loan account numbers or loan administrators written on them - looks like I'll have to write them all on manually - and mine are with Erudio and Honours and I don't trust either company to not take a chunk out of my bank account if I miss them off
    • ian360
    • By ian360 9th Mar 18, 4:18 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ian360
    Hey guys, did everything go through okay with the SLC issue and the new deferment form?

I also received my deferment paperwork with only the Thesis loans account numbers on there and nothing about the Erudio ones. Usually all 4 loans account numbers are on there. So I have just written the Erudio loan account numbers on the top of the new deferment form and written a covering letter to explain what I have done.

Do you think this will be enough? Or do I need to chase something else up to resolve this?
    • tinkerbell99
    • By tinkerbell99 11th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinkerbell99
    Physical papers..
    Posted as a new thread also to Debt-Free Wannabe

Erudio - Not sending out paper deferral forms???

I have a mortgage style student loan first taken out in 1997.

This was sold to Erudio a few years back. I have deferred every year since 2001 and looked forward to Sept 2025 when the loan would be cancelled as per student loan t&c and The Education (Student Loan) Regulations 1998, Schedule 2, Point 12 (b)(i).

www(dot)legislation(dot)gov(dot)uk/uksi/1998/211/made

There website states they will send out physical paperwork within 8 weeks of the deferrment period ending. This was not done last year (supposedly due to an printing issue I was told).

This year I have recieved a letter 5 weeks before defferment stating there is the internet portal and if I do not use it paperwork will be sent within 30 days of end of deferment (which is end of tax year).

This has still not happened. I do not wish to use the portal as I am concerned I may give up some of my rights in terms of a change in conditions. I will be phoning them tommorow to request paper copies however suspect this is a deliberate action.

Anyone else waiting for their paper deferral forms???

Tinkerbell
    Last edited by tinkerbell99; 11-03-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: editting2
    • Chadsman
    • By Chadsman 11th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Chadsman
    I have an electronic copy of the old Erudio paper form. If you pm me your email address I will email it to you.
    I might also have a hard copy of the new form if I can find it I will scan it and email that.
    God save the Queen!
    I'll save Elizabeth Fry, Charles Darwin, Adam Smith, Matthew Boulton and James Watt.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 12th Mar 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    Raise a formal complaint with Erudio.
    • Puppylover
    • By Puppylover 12th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Puppylover
    Can somebody help me?
    I graduated in 2000 and after that had to keep paying some off my student loan even though I have never earned the amount yet that . They were always sending me debt letters, so is there something I can do?
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 12th Mar 18, 2:03 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Lungboy
    I graduated in 2000 and after that had to keep paying some off my student loan even though I have never earned the amount yet that . They were always sending me debt letters, so is there something I can do?
    Originally posted by Puppylover
    When did you start university?

e: i'm guessing 1997, so you're on the mortgage style loans. Who currently owns your loan, Erudio, Honour or Thesis?
    • munchies
    • By munchies 13th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    munchies
    I emailed SLC and they were quite helpful. They said that their new deferment form system had experienced an issue whereby they're not printing out with all account numbers for multiple loan holders.... The SLC rep that responded said he'd deferred me for this year and will send on to Erudio asap. Hopefully that will keep Erudio quiet for another year *fingers crossed*
    Originally posted by zombi
    Hi zombi
    Could you tell me which email address you used to contact SLC as I am also having this problem. My loans are with HSL but are split into two parts and I've only received one deferral form. I've always had to complete two to get them all deferred in the past so would just rather keep doing this for a few more years if it makes it easier to get deferred! Many thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,156Posts Today

8,187Users online

Martin's Twitter