Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ravmania
    REAL ICICI SECURITY BREACH - login to someone else's account
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:04 PM
    REAL ICICI SECURITY BREACH - login to someone else's account 2nd Jul 07 at 8:04 PM
    I have just opened two Hisave accounts for myself and my mum with ICICI. I logged in with my mum's security details but was actually taken to someone else's account. I seemed to have full access and could check his balances, download statements, and I assume transfer money. Obviously this is extremely worrying, more so because I'm wondering who the hell can see my accounts.

I've called up ICICI and reported this. The guy on the other end was fairly helpful but did not seem too overly concerned with this security breach. It seemed like no one was in as he told us that they would contact my mum tomorrow.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen. I'm thinking of closing my accounts immediately as this is really worrying. The whole online banking systems looks very amateur in comparison to my other accounts and this seems to be the nail in the coffin for me.

Will update with what they tell me tomorrow.
Page 1
  • rrwfotr
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:07 PM
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:07 PM
    I've been banking with icici now for over 3 years never had any issues like this before, I assume it's a set up error with the account.
    • LittleVoice
    • By LittleVoice 2nd Jul 07, 8:15 PM
    • 8,465 Posts
    • 6,051 Thanks
    LittleVoice
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:15 PM
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:15 PM
    I withdrew from setting up an ICICI account when I began to realise that they did not appear to be operating in accordance with their registration under the Data Protection Act. It seems they have now changed their registration - so that it is now showing that data is transferred outside the EU.

Ravmania's reported breach of security may be a "set up error with the account", but given the apparent consequences is a rather serious one and they should be more concerned than they appear to be.
    Last edited by LittleVoice; 05-07-2007 at 8:45 PM.
    • DocProc
    • By DocProc 2nd Jul 07, 8:27 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    DocProc
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:27 PM
    • 2nd Jul 07, 8:27 PM
    All apparently OK here with my stuff.

Since each account has only one username and one password and one linked account, I think this is some kind of a set-up error for the account which Ravmania accessed too.
  • ravmania
    • 3rd Jul 07, 10:39 PM
    • 3rd Jul 07, 10:39 PM
    So they called my mum today... and nothing has really happened. They said they would call back tomorrow. As of right now I can still log into someone else's account with full access.

I can (sort of) understand that this was originally a simple mistake with setting up the account, but this is just starting to seem like they have a really lax attitude to their customers security and confidentiality. I can't believe any of my other banks would have not sorted this out by now or kept me more informed on the situation. I really get the feeling that they're not too bothered.

Maybe something will happen tomorrow?
  • Yant1
    • 5th Jul 07, 10:19 AM
    • 5th Jul 07, 10:19 AM
    Transfer it to my account in the cayman isles. Give me your addy and ill post you 50% in gold coins, everyones happy

only kidding
  • ravmania
    • 5th Jul 07, 10:38 PM
    • 5th Jul 07, 10:38 PM
    Well they didn't call my mum yesterday so she called them. They told her they'd call her today but, surprise surprise, they didn't. I reported this four days ago. Is no one else worried that ICICI are obviously not too concerned about their customers security. I feel really sorry for the poor guy who's account I can access. I'm guessing he hasn't got a clue.
    • morg_monster
    • By morg_monster 6th Jul 07, 11:13 AM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 2,136 Thanks
    morg_monster
    • 6th Jul 07, 11:13 AM
    • 6th Jul 07, 11:13 AM
    is it possible for you to find out the name and address of the guy whose account you can access, perhaps through a "your details" section. I just wonder whether you should write to him and let him know (in a non-scary way so he doesn't report you to the police!), maybe 2 of you hassling them will have more of an effect. You also have to wonder whether ICICI would tell him anything about this debacle once its all sorted out.

I'm sure someone will be able to think of any possible pros and cons of this...!
    • masonic
    • By masonic 6th Jul 07, 5:27 PM
    • 11,556 Posts
    • 9,197 Thanks
    masonic
    • 6th Jul 07, 5:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 07, 5:27 PM
    ICICI should not give out those details, but hey, they probably have access to somebody elses account as well.
  • debbie42
    You also have to wonder whether ICICI would tell him anything about this debacle once its all sorted out.
    Originally posted by morg_monster
    If it was my account then I'd want to know!
    Debbie
    • Pagan98
    • By Pagan98 6th Jul 07, 9:37 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Pagan98
    We gave up on ICICI when c.1,000 went walking out of our account without trace. The response was exceptionally lacklustre - they just didn't seem to understand why we were concerned about the missing funds, it took an awful lot of calls to rectify and when they finally refunded the account we didn't receive an explanation or proper apology.

Personally, on the basis of our experience, I wouldn't touch ICICI with a very long bargepole.
  • yummie
    Can anyone tell me their experience with 'ICICI HiSave' account as i'm very interested but also concerned as i've never heard of them before or should i play it safer & go to sainsbury's?
    • Thomas Crown
    • By Thomas Crown 9th Jul 07, 12:44 AM
    • 712 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Thomas Crown
    Can anyone tell me their experience with 'ICICI HiSave' account as i'm very interested but also concerned as i've never heard of them before or should i play it safer & go to sainsbury's?
    Originally posted by yummie
    yummie, Just read the above posts again & then apply for your Sainsbury's Bank Internet Saver account a.s.a.p.! Sainsbury's Bank run by the Bank of Scotland at their head office in Edinburgh. They are good to deal with & very helpfull.
  • Yant1
    I second that, HBOS are good at sorting out problems. But id also trust ICESAVE as its backed by a government (well more or less).
    • TheDink
    • By TheDink 9th Jul 07, 11:54 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 9,133 Thanks
    TheDink
    So, when you log into your mum's account, you see someone else's details. That would make we wonder who was logging in and seeing my details and possibly making withdrawals from my account! Can you see your mum's account as well as this other person's?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Jul 07, 2:52 PM
    • 8,582 Posts
    • 30,228 Thanks
    Primrose
    If ICICI seem so laggardly at sorting out this security lapse, I'd be very tempted to blow the whistle on them and report it to one of the national papers, preferably ringing up and asking to talk to one of the reporters who is responsible for their Money Mail section. I bet they'd act a darned sight more quickly if they discovered that this kind of problem was being plastered all over the newspapers. And quite honestly, if they're acting that casually where customer security is concerned, they will have deserved all the approprobrium they attract.
  • Yant1
    The newspapers are fully aware of the issues with ICICI and as such many have chosen not to include it in there league tables. There have been loads of newspaper articles about its issues, so its a bit old news.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,865Posts Today

7,411Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin