Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 10th Mar 14, 9:48 PM
    • 974Posts
    • 2,034Thanks
    marmitepotato
    Fly Spray
    • 10th Mar 14, 9:48 PM
    Fly Spray 10th Mar 14 at 9:48 PM
    Two days into spring and the flies are up, about, and buzzing around driving me crazy! I had some Raid left over from last year, so I sprayed, then I sprayed, then I sprayed some more and the little blighters wouldn't die! I thought maybe my tin of Raid was out of date, so I got some more today and this tin is just as useless as the last tin. Can anyone recommend some fly spray or treatment that does actually kill flies? I think I'd have more success throwing the tin of Raid at them and killing them than using the spray!
Page 1
    • carlamarie
    • By carlamarie 10th Mar 14, 10:37 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    carlamarie
    • 10th Mar 14, 10:37 PM
    • 10th Mar 14, 10:37 PM
    Won't kill them,, but I have heard, putting lavender at your doors and windowsills will stop them coming into the house.
    I have no idea if it works though!
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    my angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 10th Mar 14, 11:05 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    • 10th Mar 14, 11:05 PM
    • 10th Mar 14, 11:05 PM
    Two days into spring and the flies are up, about, and buzzing around driving me crazy! I had some Raid left over from last year, so I sprayed, then I sprayed, then I sprayed some more and the little blighters wouldn't die! I thought maybe my tin of Raid was out of date, so I got some more today and this tin is just as useless as the last tin. Can anyone recommend some fly spray or treatment that does actually kill flies? I think I'd have more success throwing the tin of Raid at them and killing them than using the spray!
    Originally posted by marmitepotato
    There are two different types of "Raid"
    One is natural and eco friendly or something,and the other one kills flies.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Mar 14, 11:08 PM
    • 20,427 Posts
    • 33,968 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 10th Mar 14, 11:08 PM
    • 10th Mar 14, 11:08 PM
    I use Baygon. Never seen it in this country, but we buy it in France. It was recommended to me years ago by a workmate.

http://www.scjohnson.com.au//products/baygon/baygon.htm

It's strong stuff. My husband always reckons use enough and it could kill a human! I normally spray just as I'm about to go out or downstairs before going to bed.
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 11th Mar 14, 7:52 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    • 11th Mar 14, 7:52 AM
    • 11th Mar 14, 7:52 AM
    There are two different types of "Raid"
    One is natural and eco friendly or something,and the other one kills flies.
    Originally posted by honeythewitch
    No, the other one doesn't kill flies, that's the one I bought. It's rubbish.
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 11th Mar 14, 7:53 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    • 11th Mar 14, 7:53 AM
    • 11th Mar 14, 7:53 AM
    I use Baygon. Never seen it in this country, but we buy it in France. It was recommended to me years ago by a workmate.

http://www.scjohnson.com.au//products/baygon/baygon.htm

It's strong stuff. My husband always reckons use enough and it could kill a human! I normally spray just as I'm about to go out or downstairs before going to bed.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    I agree about the Baygon. I used to use it when I lived in Hong Kong. It's good stuff, I wish we could buy it here.
    • Badrick
    • By Badrick 11th Mar 14, 8:40 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    Badrick
    • 11th Mar 14, 8:40 AM
    • 11th Mar 14, 8:40 AM
    We've found some of the sprays need a really good shaking to get the stuff to work.
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 11th Mar 14, 9:29 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    • 11th Mar 14, 9:29 AM
    • 11th Mar 14, 9:29 AM
    I've had five flies buzzing about since Sunday, they've received spray apon spray ( cans vigorously shaken), and two of them are still here. This morning I've sprayed them three times, and they are still buzzing around. The other three have either flown away or died of malnutrition! I'm at a loss....and off to The Big River to see what's available.....
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 11th Mar 14, 11:20 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    • 11th Mar 14, 11:20 AM
    • 11th Mar 14, 11:20 AM
    These http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flys-Away-Red-Top-Trap/dp/B000UE07TU are brilliant; disgusting, but brilliant, especially if you are plagued with flies. Friends of ours here in France live near a chicken processing plant and the fly problem was horrendous until they tried the Red Top - it really works well for them.

Spendless - I tried Baygon but could not stand the smell!

Another thing to try is this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/488077678337034491/
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 11th Mar 14, 12:59 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    These http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flys-Away-Red-Top-Trap/dp/B000UE07TU are brilliant; disgusting, but brilliant, especially if you are plagued with flies. Friends of ours here in France live near a chicken processing plant and the fly problem was horrendous until they tried the Red Top - it really works well for them.

Spendless - I tried Baygon but could not stand the smell!

Another thing to try is this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/488077678337034491/
    Originally posted by mioliere
    The red tops were recommended to me by someone on the pets board here last year.

They are AMAZING. We live on a farm and notably, next to a milking parlour. Dairy cows are notorious for attracting flies, and our kitchen was suffering. The red top reduced the problem to ' normal' levels and then a flypaper did the rest (no, not nice, fly papers, but nicer than flies, or IMO, than spray)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 11th Mar 14, 1:11 PM
    • 10,865 Posts
    • 119,517 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I've noticed that sprays no longer do the job, too. We use one of those battery-operated zapper devices - looks a bit like a small tennis racket; you press and hold the buttons on the handle and wallop the fly with the business end and ZZZZAP - one dead fly. DH is also pretty effective with a rolled-up Telegraph.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 11th Mar 14, 2:30 PM
    • 974 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    I contacted Johnson (who make Raid), they wanted to know the batch number and expiry date, which I have supplied them with. They've popped me a voucher in the post, so I can buy a replacement tin. If the last two tins didn't work then then next one won't either. In the meanwhile I bought a tin of Nippon fly killer, but the Red Top suggested by mioliere is probably the way to go.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 11th Mar 14, 3:21 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 2,388 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    I contacted Johnson (who make Raid), they wanted to know the batch number and expiry date, which I have supplied them with. They've popped me a voucher in the post, so I can buy a replacement tin. If the last two tins didn't work then then next one won't either. In the meanwhile I bought a tin of Nippon fly killer, but the Red Top suggested by mioliere is probably the way to go.
    Originally posted by marmitepotato
    I wonder if they have changed the ingredients recently? Mine works fine, but I think I bought it last year.

I think someone here recently described how to make something similar to the red top. Perhaps the threads could be linked?
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 31st Oct 18, 6:25 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    APennySaved
    Anybody know much about the EFFECTS of inhaling too much aerosol spray from Raid Fly & Wasp Killer
    We have recently had a huge number of flies generating in the kitchen. Bit of a surprise in a cold October! :-(

And it took UMPTEEN sprays of Raid Fly & Wasp Killer before they went; & 4 - yes, 4! - fly traps (of wine vinegar + an old fruit segment + washing-up liquid on the surface to keep the flies from getting out). We mega-cleaned the area, too.

Anybody know much about the EFFECTS of inhaling too much aerosol spray from Raid Fly & Wasp Killer? The fly traps themselves sadly did not work sufficiently, as the flies just seemed to keep regenerating. So to get rid of the flies we had to 'zap' each fly as we saw it, & that of course left a lot of fuggy spray in the atmosphere.

We have looked this up this product & found a helpful webpage by the manufacturer:
    www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/gb/en/brands/raid/raid-fly-and-wasp-killer

That has told us that the active ingredients are :

1R-trans Phenothrin & Prallethrin

The details at the manufacturer's website re the active ingredients are :

1R-trans Phenothrin

Controls a specific pest in a biocide product, such as in an insecticide, antimicrobial or repellent product.

Prallethrin

Controls a specific pest in a biocide product, such as in an insecticide, antimicrobial or repellent product*
    Any ideas as what symptoms of any toxicity we should look out for?
    Last edited by APennySaved; 31-10-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . !

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 31st Oct 18, 10:46 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    I doubt if there is any effect, you wouldn't be able to buy it if there was any effect on health.

Various products are age restricted for example like cigarettes, alcohol and knifes.
    Prescription medicine can only be bought if you have a note from a GP. There are a lot of protections out there for the public.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 1st Nov 18, 11:42 AM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 26,236 Thanks
    Slinky
    I find with Raid that it isn't an instant fix, the flies take a while to die. I had some small flies around a plant pot, had a spray one evening to seemingly no effect, came down the following morning to find a load of corpses surrounding the plant pot.
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 9th Nov 18, 9:44 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    APennySaved
    Yes, that's what we thought too, BUT only if the user applies the RECOMMENDED amount . . . !
    I doubt if there is any effect, you wouldn't be able to buy it if there was any effect on health.
    [...] There are a lot of protections out there for the public.
    Originally posted by Linda32
    Thanks. Yes, that's what we too thought, but only if the user applies the recommended amount . . . !

And as we haven't, then the question might be better put as: what happens if use well over the recommended amount?! Yikes!
    Last edited by APennySaved; 09-11-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    APennySaved

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 9th Nov 18, 9:52 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    APennySaved
    Will be testing this idea
    I find with Raid that it isn't an instant fix, the flies take a while to die. I had some small flies around a plant pot, had a spray one evening to seemingly no effect, came down the following morning to find a load of corpses surrounding the plant pot.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Thanks.

That's actually approx. what Raid states on the can's instructions, but having read the instructions I always thought that:
    (i) Just a few puffs in a whole room wouldn't manage to kill them, if the spray was left for a while, as the patch-spray would be insufficient to do so, especially as the bloomin' ,-) flies always seem to escape the area the user is spraying
    (ii) We have no space - after puff-spraying loads i.e. over the whole room - to then close the doors on the kitchen. So that option of spraying a whole room was out.

So it's good to learn that this idea of leaving the spray a while - and spraying just in patches rather than the whole room - might work!

Will be testing this idea.
    Last edited by APennySaved; 09-11-2018 at 9:58 PM.
    APennySaved

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin