Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • planteria
    • By planteria 23rd Feb 14, 9:17 AM
    • 5,000Posts
    • 1,110Thanks
    planteria
    Iii
    • 23rd Feb 14, 9:17 AM
    Iii 23rd Feb 14 at 9:17 AM
    i am looking at moving from HL to III with my ISA, and potentially SIPP.

any thoughts re. the following?:

1. Financial Safety: is money safe with them?
    2. Customer Service Levels: do they sort problems efficiently?
    3. Website functionality?
    4. Paper copies of trades and holdings?
    5. Whether you can invest in US shares?

They certainly look competitive, for larger portfolios, as here:

http://langcatfinancial.co.uk/2014/02/strawberry/

are there any real downsides to III?

http://www.iii.co.uk/help
Page 99
    • goRt
    • By goRt 3rd Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    goRt
    Just received a 'secure message' relating to the SIPP provider transfer iii chose to undertake.
    The same pitiful admin persists:
    I'm in FP14, the letter states I'm not
    My retirement date is 15 years out (I retired at 50, not retiring at 65, if it's state pension age then that would be 67 for me)

Let's see the excuses and how long it takes to get remediate.
    Originally posted by goRt
    Well things get worse - I'm still outstanding 4k in tax which iii hoped/guessed would appear after it transferred its back-office pension admin, however, nothing appeared late Dec/17, it's not answering secure messages and the timeline has expired on the previous formal complaint without response.

All messaging history deleted without prior notice.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 7th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

I have TDW account and II, thought they would merge on completion, will they eventually merge?
    Y'all take care now.
    • bart999
    • By bart999 9th Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bart999
    Does anyone know how to see when the next quarterly fee is due?

The fee payments staements are blank and all the secure messages have disappeared.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 5,443 Thanks
    anselld
    Does anyone know how to see when the next quarterly fee is due?

The fee payments staements are blank and all the secure messages have disappeared.
    Originally posted by bart999
    12th January
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    Before reading these threads I had expected to open an II account in 2018 to continue spreading my investments across the financial services industry but I am now giving them a wide berth of several years until someone has anything good to say about them.
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 10th Jan 18, 12:12 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    JohnRo
    I'm still waiting for a cheque to arrive for dividends which should have credited in mid and late December, their email alleges that a cheque will be sent soon after they're paid, so just how 'soon' that is hasn't materialised yet.

Why they can't just forward the dividend payments to the same place as the account transferred to, as part of the process, and retain the ISA wrap on them is beyond me.

Smacks of gaming (ex)client accounts, a small price to pay to be shut of them.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • TheTracker
    • By TheTracker 10th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    TheTracker
    Before reading these threads I had expected to open an II account in 2018 to continue spreading my investments across the financial services industry but I am now giving them a wide berth of several years until someone has anything good to say about them.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Iíve been with them 5 years with not a single issue. Trades executed, deposits credited, accurate holdings, good website availability, ok mobile app. Iím sure 95%+ of the complaints on this thread are accurate, but nearly all seem to be about dividend payments, changes of circumstance, drawdown, etc. If you have simple needs as I do - fund and trade and years from retirement - then you should analyse suitability on that basis.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 9,394 Posts
    • 9,527 Thanks
    Linton
    I agree with Tracker having had an ISA with ii for 8 years. The only problem in that time was with pay away of dividends which sometimes didnt work a few years ago. However, that is history. It has been working well since and appears to be OK with the new platform. The change to retain the transaction charge credit beyond 3 months will be a useful benefit for me.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 25,576 Posts
    • 15,105 Thanks
    xylophone
    My Isa is still in process of transfer from II to iWeb (began the process 31 October). The actual reregistration process (funds disappeared from II) began 27 November. Four OIECs were involved.

The dividends due end December on three of the funds would have gone to II and despite assurances from II, they have not yet been received in iWeb.

Reregistration of one of the funds completed 29 December (before record date for January) so that dividend should go direct to iWeb.

However, the record date for the other three was missed so that the dividends payable January/February will also go to II.

That an in specie transfer of four bog standard large funds can take this length of time beggars belief - intolerable really.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 10th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    That an in specie transfer of four bog standard large funds can take this length of time beggars belief - intolerable really.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Somewhere someone isn't giving it priority. I was amazed how long it took to move my SIPP from YouInvest to Halifax SD given my contacts on both sides worked in the same AJ Bell building.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 25,576 Posts
    • 15,105 Thanks
    xylophone
    Somewhere someone isn't giving it priority
    The customer is never right.... ( or deserving of a timely and efficient service)?
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 10th Jan 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    JohnRo
    The customer is never right.... ( or deserving of a timely and efficient service)?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    II are fine.. if they don't have to do anything much.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 25,576 Posts
    • 15,105 Thanks
    xylophone
    if they don't have to do anything much.
    or anything at all?
    • planteria
    • By planteria 13th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    planteria
    has anyone else noticed that iii seem to have lost track of which year's ISA allowance has been made? according to them i didn't contribute in the previous tax year.

also, US shares were shown in my ISA with sterling values previously, but now are shown in dollars. is there a way of changing this?
    • darren72
    • By darren72 13th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    darren72
    Does anyone know what the procedure is for the quarterly fee? - I've been with them for some time and now moved over to their new tariff (£22.50 fee per quarter). I have a cash balance in my ISA and SIPP, but they have deducted it from my Trading account (Which I don't use), showing a negative balance of £22.50 ??
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 13th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    capital0ne
    has anyone else noticed that iii seem to have lost track of which year's ISA allowance has been made? according to them i didn't contribute in the previous tax year.

also, US shares were shown in my ISA with sterling values previously, but now are shown in dollars. is there a way of changing this?
    Originally posted by planteria
    It does show, go to portfolio > overview and you get a panel on the RHS showing your Current ISA allowance and it tells you Current Tax Year Limit is £20,000.00

And you can't make any contributions for the previous tax year so why bother showing it?
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 13th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    LHW99
    Does anyone know what the procedure is for the quarterly fee? - I've been with them for some time and now moved over to their new tariff (£22.50 fee per quarter). I have a cash balance in my ISA and SIPP, but they have deducted it from my Trading account (Which I don't use), showing a negative balance of £22.50 ??
    Originally posted by darren72
    They have appeared to have deducted both mine (SIPP only) and my OH's (SIPP + ISA) from our current account. That's the same for me, but for my OH they used to deduct them from his ISA balance. They used to try to deduct from the trading accounts first, which were always empty, and generated a couple of secure messages about it every quarter before trying elsewhere.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 13th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    planteria
    Originally posted by darren72
    i set mine up to be taken from my current account by DD. just been taken this week.. i'd rather not pay it, of course, but it's still good value overall, with both SIPP and ISA with them.

sorry capitalOne, what i was saying is that 'it does show' but it shows wrong.

and you don't want it coming from your ISA if you are looking to maximise your use of the tax free allowance LHW99.
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 13th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    LHW99
    and you don't want it coming from your ISA if you are looking to maximise your use of the tax free allowance LHW99.
    Yes, not quite sure how it got set up that way - I think it was just relief that they'd managed to transfer it in weeks rather than months, as happened with the SIPPs.
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 13th Jan 18, 11:17 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    capital0ne
    sorry capitalOne, what i was saying is that 'it does show' but it shows wrong.

Originally posted by planteria
    Mine is correct but I did use the full £20k
    Good point on where it gets paid out of - I must look into that, but I'm considering a move to iWeb now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,577Posts Today

7,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin