Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 28th Apr 05, 4:20 PM
    • 13,149Posts
    • 9,492Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Corned Beef Hash
    • 28th Apr 05, 4:20 PM
    Corned Beef Hash 28th Apr 05 at 4:20 PM
    Is tonite's offering.

Anyone else use this as Money Saving Old Style standby?

Delia has a recipe, so it must be OK
Page 1
    • MATH
    • By MATH 28th Apr 05, 4:39 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 28th Apr 05, 4:39 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 4:39 PM
    I often make corned beef hash. I do two different versions. One is quite dry and the corned beef cubes remain intact, stir fried in a wok and the other is cooked like a casserole so that the corned beef breaks up into a rich gravy/sauce.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 28th Apr 05, 4:47 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 28th Apr 05, 4:47 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 4:47 PM
    I'm lazy. Boil and then drain & mash the potato in the saucepan, add chopped corned beef and mash a bit more. Pour some gravy over it, and maybe throw some peas in and, when I'm on my own - eat it straight out of the saucepan. Yummy. And minimal washing up.
    Last edited by squeaky; 28-04-2005 at 5:19 PM. Reason: my brain hurts
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 28th Apr 05, 5:03 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 28th Apr 05, 5:03 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 5:03 PM
    I'm lazy. Boil and then drain & mash the potato in the sauspan, add chopped corned beef and mash a bit more. Pour some gravy over it, and maybe throw some peas in and, when I'm on my own - eat it straight out of the saucepan. Yummy. And minimal washing up.
    by squeaky
    This is how I do it except I also cook some finely chopped onion in butter and add this to the mash too. Yum!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 28th Apr 05, 5:14 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 28th Apr 05, 5:14 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 5:14 PM
    I do yet a different version using diced pre-boiled potatoes (especially nice with new ones or whole baby salad potatoes still in their skins) then stir-fry these in a little olive oil with a chopped onion ... add the cubed corned beef and a tin of baked beans and heat through.

Sometimes I'll do something similar but layer the corned beef/onion/baked bean mix with thinly sliced potatoes in a casserole dish, top with grated cheese and pop in the oven for 30-40 mins

Yummm I could just eat that right now as it happens
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 28th Apr 05, 5:16 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 28th Apr 05, 5:16 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 5:16 PM
    A variation - add a small tin of Heinz Curried Beans, almost drained
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 28th Apr 05, 7:58 PM
    • 10,230 Posts
    • 16,808 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 28th Apr 05, 7:58 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 7:58 PM
    Cooked mashed potatoes, fried onions, mashed (smashed to flakes) corned beef, bit of grated cheese. Mix together, top with sliced tomatoes and more grated cheese, heat in oven for as long as it takes.

Serve with baked beans.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• mink35
    • 28th Apr 05, 8:07 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 8:07 PM
    Not at all! Can't stand the stuff
    Mink
    • elizabethp
    • By elizabethp 28th Apr 05, 8:18 PM
    • 74,785 Posts
    • 37,423 Thanks
    elizabethp
    • 28th Apr 05, 8:18 PM
    • 28th Apr 05, 8:18 PM
    Ohhh I make it totally different to this. I boil an onion, potato's, carrots and a small amount of cabbage together in a pan, with an oxo. When it is nearly cooked I add the tin of corned beef. Sometimes I also put it in a oven proof dish and put a pastry lid on. mmmmmmmmmmm making me hungry now lol

Liz x
  • Quackers
    I am a veggie now but have fond memories of corned beef hash pie that my Nan used to make.

She simply mashed the potatoes as usual and added a tin of corned beef and mashed again. Then she'd put the mix in pastry and make a pie. She always kept back a bit of the potato & corned beef mixture as a base for the gravy. Served with loads of veggies.

If we were lucky enough to have any left the next day we'd slice the top layer of pastry off, add a dollop of brown sauce and eat cold.

aaaaahhhhh, aren't memories luverly The thought of opening a tin of corned beef makes me gag but I've gone all teary eyed at the same time 'cos it reminds me of my Nan :rolleyes:
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 28th Apr 05, 10:36 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I just do sliced potatoes, diced onion, chopped corned beef and gravy, bung in pan and cook until soft.

Found a portion in freezer when defrosting yesterday - so had for lunch. Love it with pickled red cabbage or day old with a fried egg. Yummmmmm
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 29th Apr 05, 8:26 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    I'm lazy. Boil and then drain & mash the potato in the saucepan, add chopped corned beef and mash a bit more. Pour some gravy over it, and maybe throw some peas in and, when I'm on my own - eat it straight out of the saucepan. Yummy. And minimal washing up.
    by squeaky
    But Squeaky, the best bit is the crunchy topping when done in the oven or under the grill :rolleyes:
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 29th Apr 05, 9:24 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Watch my lips... I'm lazy...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 29th Apr 05, 12:50 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
  • tootles
    Try a variation on a theme, pre cook a chopped up onion, melt some dripping in a pan and put in onion and sliced potato and pepper (no salt), put the lid on the pan and give it a good shake so the dripping coats the potato, then put a veggi stock cube in a very small amount of water and pour it down the side of the pan, put the lid on and turn down the heat, give the pan a couple of shakes whilst the potato is cooking, then they are soft and slushy turn off the heat and put in a tin of chopped up corned beef, put the lid back on the pan and leave for about 10 minutes, then serve........ a variation on stovies I learnt to cook when we were living in Scotland. It was a Monday washday dish, served with brown sauce and thick slices of bread and butter. I usually serve it with baked beans with most of the liquor poured out.
  • mcoletta
    Corned Beef Hash Recipe Request
    Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone had a recipe for corned beef hash? Thanks in advance.
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 18th Mar 06, 4:38 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Here`s mine.I put peeled chopped up potatoes in pan along with a couple of carrots and an onion - all chopped up then cut up the contents of a tin of corned beef.Fill pan with water, add salt and pepper and bring to boil.Then let it simmer for a couple of hours.Have a taste now and again to see if you need more seasoning.enjoy.
    val
  • SueRob
    My CBH recipe is as follows:-
    Boil and mash some potatoes
    Soften a chopped onion in a little oil
    Mix together onion, mashed pots & tin of corned beef
    Cook on the hob over a low heat in a thick bottomed frying pan till brown & crispy on the bottom.
    Sue
    The mind is like a parachute, it works best when open
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 18th Mar 06, 4:44 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    For cornbeef hash I just mash cornbeef into mashed potato and fry.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • pol
    • By pol 18th Mar 06, 4:48 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    Peel and dice about 2-3 lbs potatoes, put in a pan with a chopped onion, couple of carrots. Add a stock cube and pour over boiling water. Cook till soft, add pinch mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste. (I like brown sauce in ours.) Add the diced corned beef at the end so it stays cubed. If you like it mixed in just keep stirring till it breaks up. If you like a lot of corned beef use the whole tin, if not, use half and freeze the rest for another day.

Takes about 20 mins, start to finish, it's not called "mile-a-minute" stew for nothing!

pol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

2,624Users online

Martin's Twitter