Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savvy
    • By savvy 17th Feb 14, 4:47 PM
    • 29,768Posts
    • 45,399Thanks
    savvy
    0 WOW
    Flights, Currency & Car Hire Board Index
    • 17th Feb 14, 4:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Flights, Currency & Car Hire Board Index 17th Feb 14 at 4:47 PM
    This is an index to the previous stickies and important threads on this board:

Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Cheap Car Hire Article Discussion

Everyone Needs ESTA for US Travel

Feedback on Bureau de Change Providers

When Should I Buy My Currency?

US ($) Currency Thread 2
    Last edited by savvy; 18-02-2014 at 2:53 PM.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

Page 2
    • u202908
    • By u202908 15th Jul 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    u202908
    book on overseas sites - cheaper flights
    I just booked a flight from Edinburgh to Billund Denmark and paid 145 pounds via skyscanner uk.
    I now discover the same flight is 35 pound cheaper if using skyscannerdansk and paying in danish krone. I have no problem paying in Krone since I have a debit card with zero conversation or transaction fees. One thing that did worry me was that the ticket might be printed in Danish - would that be a problem for UK airport staff . Does anyone have any experience or advice about buying flights this way.??
    • KoCoda
    • By KoCoda 30th Sep 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KoCoda
    Free Currency Exchange
    There is a new Currency Exchange website called ‘Globetrotter Currency’. It allows free currency exchange with anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world.

It’s worth checking out! Just Google 'Globetrotter Currency'.
    • hamish63
    • By hamish63 8th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hamish63
    I do not bother with the cards and send money to my friends bank account directly using a FX Broker. If you have a bank account yourself or are travelling to visit a friend I would suggest you do the same, I use IFX and can highly recommend their service. You get much better rates than a card and as it is a direct bank to bank transfer its incredibly secure.
    • martynh99
    • By martynh99 13th Feb 18, 4:29 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    martynh99
    Just been booking flights for Sep for the family holiday, 8 of us with Ryanair.
    Checked prices for 1 person, £88 return , increased this to 8 people - £130 each.
    Played about with numbers and found that 3 people is where the price jumped.
    Now I understand that so many tickets go on at 1 price and when they are gone the next tier comes into play but why couldn't I take 2 @ £88 and 1 (or 7) @£130 ?
    So I started playing about with numbers and splitting the trip into outbound and inbound trips.
    In the end I made 4 bookings, 2 in £ and 2 in Euro and brought the price down from £1036 to £853 for about 30 mins effort.

Also one thing to beware of is when booking a flight with Ryanair that is charged in Euros, they default to doing the conversion for you from Euro to £. On my 2 inbound bookings they were giving me rate of 1.059 but on my Halifax Clarity card I got 1.132 which saved me £40.53
    • alfista
    • By alfista 21st Feb 18, 4:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    alfista
    Cash Passport Horror Story
    I will try to keep this brief :
    In 2013 I took out a Thomas Cook "Euros" Cash Passport, which I used with some success until September 2017.
    The only issues I had with the card were (a) fees being charged when I took out cash abroad, and (b) keeping track of the balance on the card (no statements are ever issued).
    A few weeks ago I loaded some extra money onto the card.
    Going through some paperwork I discovered that the card had in fact expired at the end of September 2017 (no notification of this was received).
    I took this up with the local Thomas Cook office , who said "we can't help, call customer services".
    Now the horror story starts :
    The call centre first of all said they would issue replacement cards, then said they couldn't because old card was T Cook, then told me to take out a new card, call them back and they would transfer the balance. I took out a new card (which I had to load with a min of £50), and called them. Oh no, the new card is not issued by T Cook, so we can't transfer. After much more discussion they agreed "exceptionally" to issue me new T Cook cards. After a few days, more calls to contradict previous statements, and suggesting I go to T Cook and get new cards myself ! At this stage I gave up and asked for them to transfer the balance of the "dead" card back to my bank. More telephone calls... eventually I gor the balance back in my bank, less £58 lost as a result of them playing fast and loose with exchange rates.
    Never again - be warned - I'll stick to wads of Euros in future.
    PS This saga involved literally hours of phone to call centres which are staffed with people who have a poor command of English and appear to have very poor job skills.
    PPS The last call involved me giving them my IBAN number - how many people in the UK even know what an IBAN number is ?
    It's only rock 'n' roll ...
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 10,491 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I'll stick to wads of Euros in future
    Have you considered joining the 21st century and seeking out value at the same time?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/travel-credit-cards
    • john bzc
    • By john bzc 23rd Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john bzc
    thanks
    thanks thats useful
    • russbailey
    • By russbailey 19th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    russbailey
    find flights
    Try google.com/flights - best prices and very easy to use.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,052Posts Today

8,488Users online

Martin's Twitter