Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 519
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 19th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Congratulations Roz!! Yeah I agree, nothing can prepare you but definitely the best job in the world. Enjoy every moment, even the poo nappies and sleepless nights, all very precious xx
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 20th Dec 17, 4:52 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Eurgh, I had my GTT this morning and I feel so rough - I still take anti sickness tablets every morning to function and I suffer with acid reflux even when not pregnant which requires medication twice a day and numerous gulps from my bottles of gaviscon and wasn't able to until this afternoon.
    Add in an infected wisdom tooth and I couldn't even take paracetamol and I have not been a happy bunny today.

The drink wasn't as bad as I'd been told but I felt so sick. Vomiting invalidates the test which isn't fun so I was trying to hold it in but didn't succeed 100%. Didn't throw it all up so hoping all is ok with the bloods.

Anyone else having a GTT?
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    Mortgage - £158.500.00 (2017/2018 O/P £3491.79) PAYDBX 17 - £18,442.82
    PAYDBX 18 #006 £3850.92/£4000
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 20th Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Eurgh, I had my GTT this morning and I feel so rough - I still take anti sickness tablets every morning to function and I suffer with acid reflux even when not pregnant which requires medication twice a day and numerous gulps from my bottles of gaviscon and wasn't able to until this afternoon.
    Add in an infected wisdom tooth and I couldn't even take paracetamol and I have not been a happy bunny today.

The drink wasn't as bad as I'd been told but I felt so sick. Vomiting invalidates the test which isn't fun so I was trying to hold it in but didn't succeed 100%. Didn't throw it all up so hoping all is ok with the bloods.

Anyone else having a GTT?
    Originally posted by kirtsypoos
    It's such a cruel test!! Let's starve and dehydrate a pregnant woman then let them drink a sugary drink when feeling sick - yeah. Not fun. I was OK until they couldn't get my blood (probably because I was so dehydrated) they had to call the doctor, by that time I felt quite faint. I got mine at 16 weeks because I had borderline GD last time. I check my bloods daily again.

Hows the tooth? I've got my aneathnatist appointment tomorrow x
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 21st Dec 17, 12:27 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    What a pain for you, that does not sound fun. Luckily she only had a bit of trouble with the second blood, she got it on 2nd try and I was so happy to be allowed out to eat and drink that I didn't mind!

Tooth isn't great, I'm struggling to eat properly still so I'm hoping it eases before Christmas.

Hope your appointment does well today x
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid)
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 24th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Happy tummy Christmas baby bumps, hope we can all make lovely memories of the Christmas carrying baby in tummy. Missing my little princess angel this christmas and always, she would have been 21 months. Xxx
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 27th Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. It must be difficult for you sweet, I hope you managed to enjoy the day xx

I got a call back on Thursday about my GTT - I failed miserably so now have a GD diagnosis. Perfect timing just before christmas. I opened 5 big boxes of my favourite chocolates which was gutting - OH had to hide them from me

Tooth still a sore mess as well, eating is not going well for me at the moment!!!
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 28th Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Thanks kirstypoos. Argh! It's just typical, diagnosis at christmas! My treat has been oatcakes and cheese...a bit more GD friendly lol. All worth it, only for 14ish weeks. I bought 1 bag of crisps but haven't even opened them.

I have been totally loaded with the cold again! Coughing so so much. Hope it goes away soon.

Have you bought any baby things in the sale?
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 28th Dec 17, 1:30 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I won't lie, I was gutted that I couldn't partake in all the lovely chocolates and desserts! I've been pretty good with carbs though, it's chocolate and suchlike that affect my sugars so I'm having one choc with a handful of nuts - pairing will be my saviour I'm sure!

Oh no, fingers crossed you feel better soon - it's so frustrating not being able to take anything when you feel so poop.

I haven't done much sale shopping - donut and I are pretty much already kitted out from furniture, clothes and moses basket to breast pump and maternity pads. I did go into mothercare and buy myself some mat bras and 2 nighties for labour. Have you managed to get stuff ticked off the list or do you already have most of it?

Had my first diabetic midwife appt today and she was lovely. Can't have a water birth though, and will be induced on or before my EDD, dependant on my growth scan results - the first of which is next Tuesday... so soon!
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 29th Dec 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Yeah I was induced on my due date last time. Hope you manage to diet control OK. Do you get growth scans? My next scan is the 8th of Jan - first day back at work!
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 30th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Yes my first growth scan is 2nd Jan so not long to wait Next one after that will be 32, then 36 weeks

A bit gutted that I can't have the waterbirth I wanted but will do whatever is best for donut. Are you managing to diet control ok at the moment?
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 31st Dec 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Yes my first growth scan is 2nd Jan so not long to wait Next one after that will be 32, then 36 weeks

A bit gutted that I can't have the waterbirth I wanted but will do whatever is best for donut. Are you managing to diet control ok at the moment?
    Suppose it's good you'll get more medical care the other side although I can see why your disappointed. I think if all goes well it can be re-negotiated but your more likely to need medical assistance so it's not usually advisable.

I've ended up on a quarter of a dose of metoformin because my fasting bloods were a little high. Managed to diet control in my first pregnancy so it's a bit annoying but trying my best. Just hope they are OK :-)

Not long for your scan at all! That's super exciting!
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 31st Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I have asked to discuss it with my consultant because I think it's silly to put a blanket no on it yet, I'd rather see how things go! Water has always been my pain relief so I was really hoping it would work for this too. I'm not opposed to any kind of pain relief if I need it so hopefully if they put the kibosh on it I'll still be ok....trying to keep an open mind!

Fingers crossed the metformin continues to work for you then - will you be induced early if you're on medication?
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 31st Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    I have asked to discuss it with my consultant because I think it's silly to put a blanket no on it yet, I'd rather see how things go! Water has always been my pain relief so I was really hoping it would work for this too. I'm not opposed to any kind of pain relief if I need it so hopefully if they put the kibosh on it I'll still be ok....trying to keep an open mind!

Fingers crossed the metformin continues to work for you then - will you be induced early if you're on medication?
    I can't be induced because I was induced last time at 40weeks (took 5days) and it ended in EMCS because I was only 4cm dilated after 17hrs from my waters being broken. They won't induce you after a c-section. As long as my growth scans are fine (my daughter wasn't too big around the middle) then I'll be getting a c-section at 39 weeks.

I suppose it would depend if you need to be induced or if you go into natural labour? Also I suppose it depends if you are borderline or acute GD. I'm sure the consultant will discuss the options with you. Only problem is if they want an early delivery, it's less likely to happen naturally.

I really tried to go without pain relief but ended up having to have an epidural to be allowed to progress. Turns out she was back to back, that paired with the IV drip it was pretty painful!! I just thought that's how it is for everyone at the time though. I'm hoping to hold off until my planned c-section this time and get a spinal.
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 31st Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Hypnobirthing is meant to be really good. I plan on reading a bit more about it this time.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 2nd Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Ouch sweet, that doesn't sound fun at all! Fingers crossed you can avoid the labour and have a nice calm C Section.

My growth scan showed that his weight is fine for now but his head is on the 98th percentile and his tummy is on the 90th so his measurements are 2 weeks ahead at the moment.....EEK!
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 2nd Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Ouch sweet, that doesn't sound fun at all! Fingers crossed you can avoid the labour and have a nice calm C Section.

My growth scan showed that his weight is fine for now but his head is on the 98th percentile and his tummy is on the 90th so his measurements are 2 weeks ahead at the moment.....EEK!
    Wow he's a big boy, glad they are keeping a check on you though! Did you get to chat to your consultant or is that a seperate appointment?

Ah, yeah, it didn't go quite to plan lol...I was just so determined to have a natural delivery, total opposite this time! All worth it for sure, the most perfect few weeks of my life. Fingers crossed this little one holds in tight lol.
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 3rd Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I saw him for a few minutes but very brief - he was reluctant to discuss any birth options with me only being 28 weeks, he said it would be looked at nearer the time which wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear but I see them again in 2 weeks and then have a growth scan in 4 weeks so hopefully I'll get more of an idea then!

It's so exciting, it feels so far away but it really isn't!

Sounds much more preferable to plan everything as needed and not be worrying about your previous experience so stay put until your section little one!
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 12th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    How is everyone doing?
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 13th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 14,977 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    All good over here sweet, I'm 29 + 2 now. How are you getting on?
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 13th Jan 18, 5:43 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    All good over here sweet, I'm 29 + 2 now. How are you getting on?
    Glad to hear! I'm 29 tomorrow! Can't believe it. Baby is measuring well, 50th centile compared to my daughter on 52nd. Started sorting through baby clothes this afternoon, I have so so much!! Work is getting tiring, 7 weeks to go. 4 people are going for my job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,063Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter