Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angellore
    • By Angellore 23rd Jan 14, 5:26 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 136Thanks
    Angellore
    What products do you miss?
    • 23rd Jan 14, 5:26 PM
    What products do you miss? 23rd Jan 14 at 5:26 PM
    I was wondering if there were any products you just can't get anymore and you miss? Maybe they don't make them anymore, or you just can't find them - other people might be able to tell you where you can. Could be anything - food, cleaning products, whatever.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 28-01-2014 at 7:58 PM.
Page 33
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 10th Aug 18, 7:06 AM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 17,119 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Dark chocolate walnut whips.
    Hedgehog crisps (no they didn't contain hedgehog!)
    Originally posted by welshbookworm
    My dad used to bring these home from the pub in the 80s
    GC 2017 (£3,434.09/£4,000) Jan £264.28, Feb £179.18, Mar £290.38, Apr £182.39, May £210.24 Jun £122.33, Jul £149.45, Aug £199.22/£220 Sep £211.66/£210 OCT £176.54/£220 (£1,809.13 up to and incl Sep/£3,250 p.a)

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 10th Aug 18, 7:17 AM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 17,119 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    From when I worked in the local sweet shop/newsagent

Fuse
    Spyro
    Cabana
    Texan
    Nutty Bars
    Tiffin Bars
    Mini Eggs sold loose

Disco 45
    NME
    Jackie (reading it on my paper round and only ever buying it if I wanted the free gift, it was delivered to the last house in Arundel Grove and was the last house on my round so loads of time to read it)

The TV I remember
    Seaside Special
    CHiPS
    Dukes of Hazzard
    Wrestling with Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks
    Bonanza, High Chapparal
    Sunday afternoon western
    The Good Old Days
    Black & White Minstrel Show

Other foods
    5 Pints, powdered milk
    Five Alive
    Some pudding that you mixed and put in a Pyrex dish with a topping baked in the oven and when it came out the top had gone syrupy and sunk and the bottom was now on top as a sponge
    Cucumber spread
    Pease pudding
    Fruity sauce
    Supermousse
    London cheesecake
    Funny feet and funny face ice lollies

The seafood man coming into the club,pot of prawns, cockles, mussels etc

Sunday meat raffle

Dinner being at lunch time
    And what is now dinner being tea

The pools man
    Provident cheques
    The insurance man
    Milk man

Waking up to ice on the inside of the wIndows, with pretty patterns made by the net curtains
    Originally posted by gilly1964
    We still sell peas pudding in our shop. Shall I send you a tin ?
    GC 2017 (£3,434.09/£4,000) Jan £264.28, Feb £179.18, Mar £290.38, Apr £182.39, May £210.24 Jun £122.33, Jul £149.45, Aug £199.22/£220 Sep £211.66/£210 OCT £176.54/£220 (£1,809.13 up to and incl Sep/£3,250 p.a)

• K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 10th Aug 18, 7:18 AM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 17,119 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Does anyone remember a chocolate bar called Tiffin. It had small bits of biscuit in the chocolate and I think it had raisins in as well.

Don't know who made it, probably Rowntree, I am sure it wasn't Cadbury.

Candlelightx
    Originally posted by candlelight 2013
    Cadbury still make and sell it now. We get it in our shop.

• Cocketts
    • By Cocketts 10th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Cocketts
    I really miss Flex hair shampoo and conditioner - the smell was divine.
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
    • Cocketts
    • By Cocketts 10th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Cocketts
    I remember this, a bit like House of Elliot but I am sure it was not that. I would love to look on you tube but not sure what to search for.
    Originally posted by Linda32

I much prefer French & Saunders 'House of Idiot'
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Pacers
    Pacers were originally called Opal Mints and were in a tube same as Opal Fruits before they had yo change their name yo Starburst for some European Reason.
    Yes they were square white chews with green strioes thru them.
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Vim
    But Vim really did work unlike all these crap sprays we clutter our under sink with now a days and hardly any of them work. I remember working in a supermarket and vim was 19p. Lol
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 12:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Terrys chocolate lemon
    Im so glad you mentioned these chocolate lemons as i remember them but people seem to think im crazy ad they have never heard of them.
    They really did exist didnt they !!
    I also remember the Frys Five Centres although i wasnt that keen on them. I also remember Peanut Treets they were also in bags of Revels befote thry had yo take then out because of nut allergy just like the coconut ones that were replaced by coffee ones. I also seem to think there was a strawberry one in revrls ad well these days its like a bag of maltesters with a hidden one thrown in
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Secret bars
    I remember Secret mar they used to have a piece of cardboard in the pack yo stop them getting squashed.
    I also remeber tudor crisps they had fliures you couldt imagine these days.
    I remember Gammon and Pineapple znd also
    Hot Dog and mustard with an american themed package.
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Ringos
    Ringos are currently in Aldi in 6 packs i saw them just to.day
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Fish n Chips
    Them nsty old burtons fish n chips are in nearly every shop near where i live they also do salt n vinigar ones curry sause and pickled onion flavours
    They are usually in a 6 pack for 99p or £ in Poundland
    • JustNiel
    • By JustNiel 31st Aug 18, 1:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JustNiel
    Supawhip
    I shared this memory on facebook just a few weeks ago.
    It was made by Birds Eye in a tub and was soft enought to scoop out and eat.
    It qas the same era as tge Birds Eye Trifles and Peach Melbas in a single square tub with a pattern on the botton of it.
    Same era as the birds eye mousses.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 31st Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Redfern cheese and tomato crisps
    • klew356
    • By klew356 31st Aug 18, 4:25 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 1,877 Thanks
    klew356
    I miss fuse bars, they were the best – don’t understand why they stopped making them

More recently, Bernard Matthews turkey burgers, closest I could find is the escalopes, not the same!!
    Orange and mango Robinsons cordial, they have brought out their fruit creations in this flavour, not as good and twice the price, most gutted about the burgers though
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 31st Aug 18, 7:43 PM
    • 4,172 Posts
    • 30,314 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    The biscuit I miss most and would sell my soul for were made by Symbol. A dark chocolate biscuit with a hole in the middle called Revs. As a child growing up in the 40's and 50's they were my favourite treat and I can almost taste them even now when I think about them!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 31st Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I remember 'honey and milk' biscuits from childhood. They were an oval sandwich construction with an oval hole in the top so you could see the sticky brown and white filling. A really delicious flavour combination. Not seen them in several decades.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 31st Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 3,080 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    More recently, Bernard Matthews turkey burgers, closest I could find is the escalopes, not the same!!
    Originally posted by klew356
    Seconded, I do miss those.

Other recentish (within the past 10 years) products I miss are:

Levi roots reggae reggae beefburgers
    Levi roots tomato sauce
    Glenfiddich Liqueur
    Carte D'or Spagnola ice cream
    Tesco sweetfire beetroot (this one only disappeared earlier this year, replaced with manky sounding horseradish and pepper beetroot)
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 31st Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 5,884 Posts
    • 63,948 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    i too remember the "Milk and Honey" biscuits. Yum I think they were made by Peek Freans.

monnagran I remember frozen chocolate mousse and strawberry too, but not lemon. I wonder if it was only on sale in certain parts of the country?
    • DWhite
    • By DWhite 2nd Sep 18, 11:40 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    DWhite
    Itís not something thatís gone from the shops but something Iíd forgotten about and stopped using, talc!
    It was used when I was younger, by my mum. Then when I had my DD, now 10, I used it a lot with her as a baby. I guess when she grew out of nappies I stopped thinking about it. During the heatwave I bought some to give it a try to help with sweat, not sure it helped really, I was using it before deodorant. But it feels nice after a shower to dry off then use the talc. So itís a favourite of mine again, and the bathroom smells nice after Iíve used it!
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 2nd Sep 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 7,158 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    We certainly had the lemon mousse in Cambridgeshire. The butcher used to sell it in his freezer cabinet. I think he was the only shop in the village with a freezer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,454Users online

Martin's Twitter