Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    • 1,141Posts
    • 3,694Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.
    • 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans. 22nd Jan 14 at 8:38 PM
    So the title will become obvious later, but I figured I need a diary. It's my first. It is mainly to keep me focused but maybe someone will read it too. Here's hoping!

Stealing from another diary, I have decided my debts need paid off by my 40th, which is in 7ish months! It might not be completely achievable but I'm certainly going to try.

First about me. I have a lovely husband, we live in the country with a few cats and a couple of horses. These latter fluffy things are of course the reason for permanent poverty. We certainly don't have a cheap lifestyle, the mortgage is big, we take nice holidays and have nice cars. We can manage it all quite comfortably (both of us have well paid jobs) but I'm not very disciplined about money and have let it get a bit of a bother. That said I'm not a compulsive shopper either, don't buy loads of clothes, don't smoke, Don't go out much etc. My husband isn't in debt and has some savings but neither of us are as comfortable as we should be. On the down side, we've spent a lot of money on IVF in the last year, will be doing so again this year, and our house (old and cold) really needs a few things done. We also got married just over a year ago which cleared out all my savings and that plus the IVF tipped me over the edge. So financial discipline is certainly needed.

The debts:
    OD 4100
    Family member 5k
    Credit card 1600 on 0%

All of the above are my debts, so not my husbands responsibility.

We have assets. My car would cover most of my unsecured debt. I have 3k in an ISA. We have some joint savings. I own a rental flat with a very good LTV. My sister is in no rush for her repayment. So there is no panic stations. But no excuses either. So 7 months it is....

Wish me luck
    0% card was 1126.91 / Now 1101.51

AFD June 8/15 NSD June 5/11

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 17,005
Page 41
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 14th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Hope alls good...paying off the mortgage sounds amazing. Very jealous
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    It's a nice feeling Brizzle, but my current situation has come about via a combination of a very long-ago purchase, and a health situation I'd rather not have had. Still, if the health stuff continues to be good news, then I'm glad the policy was there and it's taken away a level of worry, and given me flexibility to enjoy my little guy whilst he's still little

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 13th Sep 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I am so very very remiss in terms of posting here!

So what's happening? Well DS is now in his funded hours at nursery, so I have 4 mornings a week free. Predictably I could fill those hours several times over. I cracked back on with the C25k and made it to target, so now I'm trying to run 3 times a week. But I might need to switch from doing that in nursery time and ask a grandparent to babysit for an hour in the afternoons instead. I really need the 4 straight hours to Get Stuff Done. There's admin for the housebuild; and research; and physically meeting people on site, and (like this week) physically doing hard labour to save money. When DS gets home he wants to go for a walk or go to the park or play Duplo with me and there's a limit to how much I can plonk him in front of Duggee to make progress with my to do list.

In money news:
    1. I paid off the BtL. So no mortgage at all right now.
    2. I did put something house related on the 0% card so that's new debt. Currently just paying the minimums deliberately. It's a 30 month offer but I'm going to put it in my signature as a new target. I actually want to spend more on there, with the house build, so watch this space.
    3. We're a week away from finishing our first month on a single salary. There is still money in the joint account but I need to go and check the credit card.
    4. There are logistics I need to work out. How do I switch my spreadsheet to now covering 2 bank accounts (mine and the joint, DH can take care of his own!) How do I make sure DH's work expense rebates end up against the card, not being happily spent by him. How do I monitor housebuild expenses against normal expenses, etc.

Anyway already only 15 minutes until I need to leave so I better spend that on my spreadsheet.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 14th Sep 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ok so current sit rep.

360 in cash to spend out of the accounts, not including the card payment that's due. DH gets paid a little later than I used to so need to cover that before pay day (will do so temporarily from savings).

850 in the account. Sounds like we've underspent but I've not put any money into savings. (Except we did pay for our new puppy out of this month's income )

Card is horrendous - 1500. Food shopping was 580 . Then there were tons of birthdays and a fair whack of fuel too. So with the leftover in the account we have 1000 to find. I've about 300 in my annual bills pot, and DH reckons about 200 of expenses. So maybe 500 left.

But then, the next one is already 1300 too. This includes my ludicrous 500+ car tax; the subject of my whole diary! Maybe one of these days I will actually find a way to cover this.

I've had a look at the September budget and it's ok if you ignore the credit card. Actually it's still ok, because a good chunk of the budget IS the stuff that goes on the card. I'm hoping that things will be a bit less spendy. Fuel we probably can't do heaps about but we did have a lot of birthdays in August. We had 2 meals out (very unusual for us) and had lost control of the food shopping a bit too. That's becoming less scary now that DS is at nursery a bit - I'm less inclined to use a walk to the shops as a way of occupying him!

Anyway I should probably go and occupy said child now

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th Sep 18, 5:38 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Glad you’re good...enjoy your weekend x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 18th Sep 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 3,694 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So monthly card paid. So far, 700 "short", less whatever comes back in expenses. Payday in 2 days so will repay the savings and see where it leaves us.

I've done some switching of balances. We've a second joint current account so I'm moving my Annual Bills pot into this and will save jointly. So a single car tax pot, single insurance pot etc. I'll also put money in here to pad out for house bills. For example just transferred a little from our current account as we've not had a bill from SSE this month. I've also set aside one month's rent in here.

In September, I have 900 in the budget to go into various savings pots. Given I'm going to have to replace the Amex, and cover the next one, I can safely say this won't be happening. So it's the same old story. Be as tight as we can on the fuel, food etc to try to eek out every penny. Try to get this Amex bill back down to a much more manageable amount. Ever feel like we've heard this before

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

367Posts Today

5,151Users online

Martin's Twitter