Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    • 1,144Posts
    • 3,712Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.
    • 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans. 22nd Jan 14 at 8:38 PM
    So the title will become obvious later, but I figured I need a diary. It's my first. It is mainly to keep me focused but maybe someone will read it too. Here's hoping!

Stealing from another diary, I have decided my debts need paid off by my 40th, which is in 7ish months! It might not be completely achievable but I'm certainly going to try.

First about me. I have a lovely husband, we live in the country with a few cats and a couple of horses. These latter fluffy things are of course the reason for permanent poverty. We certainly don't have a cheap lifestyle, the mortgage is big, we take nice holidays and have nice cars. We can manage it all quite comfortably (both of us have well paid jobs) but I'm not very disciplined about money and have let it get a bit of a bother. That said I'm not a compulsive shopper either, don't buy loads of clothes, don't smoke, Don't go out much etc. My husband isn't in debt and has some savings but neither of us are as comfortable as we should be. On the down side, we've spent a lot of money on IVF in the last year, will be doing so again this year, and our house (old and cold) really needs a few things done. We also got married just over a year ago which cleared out all my savings and that plus the IVF tipped me over the edge. So financial discipline is certainly needed.

The debts:
    OD 4100
    Family member 5k
    Credit card 1600 on 0%

All of the above are my debts, so not my husbands responsibility.

We have assets. My car would cover most of my unsecured debt. I have 3k in an ISA. We have some joint savings. I own a rental flat with a very good LTV. My sister is in no rush for her repayment. So there is no panic stations. But no excuses either. So 7 months it is....

Wish me luck
    0% card was 1126.91 / Now 1669.11

AFD June 8/15 NSD June 5/11

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 17,005
Page 40
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 29th May 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Giving myself a very large pat on the back for literally only having bought the 2 things I went to Ikeeeea for. . Although I did spend 1 on a hot dog too, but I had just been to the dry cleaners to drop off suits (one for me that is going into storage, one for DH after our little darling threw up on it ) and I found a few pound coins in DH's pocket. So I stole one of them, haha (my tip for going).

Tomorrow I have DS at home but am hoping to make it a NSD. Today is going to be an AFD as my target is tight.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 30th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Quick note to self. Must make an urgent decision on childcare and cancel standard order of childcare vouchers to the nursery. The payments are month in advance so we might not have another payment to make after today, but I've 2 more paydays to go.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 30th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Made another overpayment as the dividend came in. Was tempted to whip it into savings but I promised myself extra money would go to the BtL, so there it is. Still tiny - so far I've overpaid about 10 days interest, but it's all in the right direction.

Also managed a NSD so far. Just need to not spend anything in the next couple of hours. Hopefully achievable!

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 31st May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Today has not been massively productive so far. I need to get off my computer and DO STUFF. Though I have mapped out a moving plan for the next few weeks and we've ringfenced a tentative date to shift furniture. We have a month overlap between houses, but they are a few hours apart, so needs careful planning.

I have had a look at the childcare stuff. I think we will have one more small payment to make in a month, for a week or so of July's nursery. I think DH's voucher will cover this. But we've decided to keep buying the vouchers, but to cancel my payment to nursery as of next month. This will give us a slush fund in the childcare vouchers that will give us the option of extra childcare for a little bit.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 1st Jun 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    BTL Overpayments since 20/4 30.63

AFD May 14/15 NSD May 12/10

End of month Sig. Good on the NSD. Missed target on AFD but I'm ok with it. Made a conscious decision to open something fizzy to mark the passing of an important milestone.

Targets for June will be similar with perhaps an extra NSD in there.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 5th Jun 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Doing ok on the AFD but haven't managed a NSD at all. Friday was a takeaway (we were babysitting for SiL), Food shop (47 - not bad at all), we were out for the day on Saturday and bought lunch. Then I had a blowout in my car so yesterday had to pay for a new tyre. Sigh.

Anyway today I am hoping for a NSD. I have something I am looking at for DH as a father's day present but undecided. Will hold off pressing go for today.

Few lifemin things to get under control though
    - Contact BG about getting our landlord cert now that the meter has been replaced.
    - Email stuff to tenant that I've been meaning to do for ages
    - Washing on line when done
    - Prep house for viewing ie remove clean washing and tidy up toys a little.

I have to go for a "run" too. I subscribed to couch to 5k. Don't need to lose weight but do need to get fitter and also I need the distraction. So after my very first session my lovely DH ordered me a garmin watch. . He promised it was a "good buy" but I feel under pressure. Especially considering my trainers are already packed and moved, so I did my session in my slip-on skechers

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Jun 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Doing ok on the AFD but haven't managed a NSD at all. Friday was a takeaway (we were babysitting for SiL), Food shop (47 - not bad at all), we were out for the day on Saturday and bought lunch. Then I had a blowout in my car so yesterday had to pay for a new tyre. Sigh.

Anyway today I am hoping for a NSD. I have something I am looking at for DH as a father's day present but undecided. Will hold off pressing go for today.

Few lifemin things to get under control though
    - Contact BG about getting our landlord cert now that the meter has been replaced.
    - Email stuff to tenant that I've been meaning to do for ages
    - Washing on line when done
    - Prep house for viewing ie remove clean washing and tidy up toys a little.

I have to go for a "run" too. I subscribed to couch to 5k. Don't need to lose weight but do need to get fitter and also I need the distraction. So after my very first session my lovely DH ordered me a garmin watch. . He promised it was a "good buy" but I feel under pressure. Especially considering my trainers are already packed and moved, so I did my session in my slip-on skechers
    Originally posted by mfmaybe
    Ooh, a Garmin, been stalking one of those since I've upped my runs. Don't feel pressure though, just enjoy the endorphins, I'm a bit addicted
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 7th Jun 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ooh, a Garmin, been stalking one of those since I've upped my runs. Don't feel pressure though, just enjoy the endorphins, I'm a bit addicted
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    I would never have spent the money myself PF (at least not after 1 run!) but I like being able to check my heartrate and the stats give me something to check progress on. Already I can see each run getting faster (or rather covering more distance in the time) which is very motivating. I'm competitive enough to compete against myself

Anyway the rest of the day is mine. I have a few things to get through including some very exciting steam cleaning while DS is not here. Aside from that I probably need to start doing some more serious packing and I really need to do the lifemin things that are floating about.

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 8th Jun 18, 3:38 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 2,374 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Ooh. very exciting. I am currently obsessed with the stats from my FitBit...much the same really.

Hope the lifemin stuff gets sorted leaving more time for the runs
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 October Goals: AFDs 2/25; Decluttering 10/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 13th Jun 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ugh I'm a bit behind. I have a stinking cold, and yesterday DS accidentally scratched my eye. Cue an optician appointment, a lot of agony, and 20 in the chemist afterwards. As today goes on I am starting to feel a little better on all counts, but it meant I've not been able to carry on with the C25k. I know from serious runners in my family that doing so with a chesty cold/cough is bad news. So I need to wait for my chest to clear and then I suspect I should start again.

Money things are a bit scary. Got a huge bill in for some stuff for the plot. It's actually just field stuff and definitely worth doing just now but all a big capital expense. Luckily I am managing to (largely) keep a lid on the monthly expenses, but we're a mere 5 weeks away from my last pay cheque.

• lucielle
    • By lucielle 13th Jun 18, 6:09 PM
    • 8,060 Posts
    • 34,504 Thanks
    lucielle
    Scary but exciting times ahead. At least you can plan for the last pay cheque and beyond.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 14th Jun 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    That's true L. Hope things are good with you?

Today I need a plan. Slowly slowly recovering from both the lurgy and my eye injury. But I am tempted to go back to bed for a bit as I'm pretty tired. Can't decide if I will regret that.

There are a raft of things I should get done today but they are all boringly domestic. Still not well enough to run, plus the weather is wild. So it's chores and spreadsheets and maybe some packing of boxes.

Also need to go to the shops for milk, cook a ham, collect DS from nursery and well that's about it.

Hmm - going back to bed seems more tempting by the second

• lucielle
    • By lucielle 14th Jun 18, 6:27 PM
    • 8,060 Posts
    • 34,504 Thanks
    lucielle
    A 4.30am start for me so bed does indeed sound good.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 15th Jun 18, 3:44 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Ouch - that is early!

Have done one of the important money things. Cancelled the SO from my childcare voucher scheme to the nursery. Next month he only has one week and DH's voucher will cover it. We've decided to let mine build up before my last pay cheque, so we can use them towards more sporadic childcare once we move.

Took DS for shoes today. We live near an outlet shop, so got a couple of pairs of too big skechers before we move; However to counter that (sort of) I paid in some birthday cash of his that has been kicking around forever. Also 14 of coin smush went into our bills account. Did a bit of food shopping. This has been a bit more disorganised recently as I've been feeling so bleurgh that I can't be bothered with it all.

Really need to get my head into moving mode. Next big task is to pay the deposit on the new place.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 19th Jun 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So the deposit and first month's rent has been paid. I've paid this out of savings. Fortunately yesterday was payday and the last of my bonus went in, which has re-instated that part of the balance. Plus I should get our 1800 back from this place once we move out.

So only one more paycheque to go though. In 5 days our new credit card month kicks off and I will have to tell DH that from then on, he has to pay the full balance. So reality is going to start biting.

I haven't actually updated my budget for this month. Perhaps I should put that on today's list. It's that or pack boxes. Ah the fun life I lead

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 27th Jun 18, 10:23 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 2,374 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope all going OK. You're bound to have patches when you're a bit less focussed (especially if you've been ill/had an injury!)..be kind to yourself.

Hope you have a good rest of the week and weekend. Weather here is lush, think it is your way too
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 October Goals: AFDs 2/25; Decluttering 10/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th Jul 18, 12:24 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 2,374 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope you're doing OK MFM....keep in touch xx
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 23rd Jul 18, 6:54 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Hope you're doing OK MFM....keep in touch xx
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    I'm here and fine. Moved house and just got internet back. Lots and lots to catch up on!

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 31st Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Still lots and lots to catch up on. Got the deposit back for the old house in full. Need to sort electricity out on the new house. Have received both my last pay cheque, and my redundancy. And the other policy paid out that I had forgotten about. So I've requested a redemption statement and will pay off my BtL mortgage. That will take down my monthly DD's to well under the BtL income so takes the pressure off DH's pay cheque.

On the very much not good news basis, our food shopping is out of control. We've been to the Co-op every day as far as I can tell, and seem to spend 15 every single time. This is going to have to stop. I've got the online shopping set up but still not quite in the groove. Must. Do. Better.

Anyway another busy few days ahead so just popping in to say I'm still here, really!

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th Aug 18, 11:15 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 2,374 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope alls good...paying off the mortgage sounds amazing. Very jealous
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,601Posts Today

8,427Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin