Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    • 1,132Posts
    • 3,663Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.
    • 22nd Jan 14, 8:38 PM
    Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans. 22nd Jan 14 at 8:38 PM
    So the title will become obvious later, but I figured I need a diary. It's my first. It is mainly to keep me focused but maybe someone will read it too. Here's hoping!

Stealing from another diary, I have decided my debts need paid off by my 40th, which is in 7ish months! It might not be completely achievable but I'm certainly going to try.

First about me. I have a lovely husband, we live in the country with a few cats and a couple of horses. These latter fluffy things are of course the reason for permanent poverty. We certainly don't have a cheap lifestyle, the mortgage is big, we take nice holidays and have nice cars. We can manage it all quite comfortably (both of us have well paid jobs) but I'm not very disciplined about money and have let it get a bit of a bother. That said I'm not a compulsive shopper either, don't buy loads of clothes, don't smoke, Don't go out much etc. My husband isn't in debt and has some savings but neither of us are as comfortable as we should be. On the down side, we've spent a lot of money on IVF in the last year, will be doing so again this year, and our house (old and cold) really needs a few things done. We also got married just over a year ago which cleared out all my savings and that plus the IVF tipped me over the edge. So financial discipline is certainly needed.

The debts:
    OD 4100
    Family member 5k
    Credit card 1600 on 0%

All of the above are my debts, so not my husbands responsibility.

We have assets. My car would cover most of my unsecured debt. I have 3k in an ISA. We have some joint savings. I own a rental flat with a very good LTV. My sister is in no rush for her repayment. So there is no panic stations. But no excuses either. So 7 months it is....

Wish me luck
    BTL Overpayments since 20/4 30.63

AFD June 8/15 NSD June 5/11

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 17,005
Page 39
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 9th May 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Haha well it was tempting but now it's drizzle (ok, full on deluge) again. Yuck.

Anyway - AFD's have been going well but tonight I have a glass of wine. NSDs haven't been as successful. We were away Thursday-Monday and each one of those involved some spending. Yesterday I bought DS some clothes using vouchers, so it almost made it but then I met my boss for coffee which I paid for. I did however make sure I used a proper mug, as I'd forgotten my keep cup. But today is a NSD at last. Tomorrow I might manage as well; but there is food shopping needing done very soon.

Other money news. The lorry bill came in. Ugh. It's 4 figures (though only just) which is waaaay more than I expected. I guess I forgot about the vat, the labour was a fair whack more than anticipated, and each of the parts was just a bit pricier than I would have guessed. My car is making a worrying noise too.

Slightly less scary, the current month Amex isn't too bad. But the one needing paid on payday is HUUUUGEEEE. There are other big bills though. All the stuff for the flat that's coming up (tax deductible, phew). My livery costs go down, but at the same time I might be shipping the horse off for some schooling so I'll have to start paying that. Won't be for too long though. And I do need to find them both somewhere to live if I haven't sorted my fencing out.

Oh I think I'm too tired for this post. I feel like huge sums of money are haemorraghing out at the moment.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 10th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Feel a bit less daunted today. The build project has been sucking a lot of time with planning stuff but today I've a free run at other things. Decided I'd had enough of paper congregating on the kitchen island so I did some filing. And in the course of doing so, discovered a policy that I'd forgotten about that may plug a hole or two

I also found a decent online price for my old Iphone which is now boxed up ready to send. Have listed the case for sale for a few pounds. Have managed to delay food shopping again - have leftovers to see us through tonight but likely to need done tomorrow.

Also getting through a few other admin things done like merging my Aviva accounts and checking the cat insurance has been adjusted for our recent loss . There's still stuff all over the kitchen island though!

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 11th May 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So the phone is posted. I also have an offer on something that is for sale on fleabay that I'd forgotten was on there. May accept it.

Need to do the food shopping - I have a Tesc0 7 off voucher so might try the self scan today. I've also got some emails to send re the house build, the lorry bill to pay, and a few other domestic things. Anyway that's not going to take all day so might do some packing up of boxes. First though I'm going to make coffee

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 11th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Well I've ended up not achieving much today really. But I did reply with a counter offer to my fleabay item which has been accepted and paid for. I also did the self scan. Not sure that overall it seemed quicker; but it did allow me to ensure I covered the voucher value. I was just under so added ingredients for cereal bars. So total cost was 51 less the voucher = 44. I know we will need more milk (started getting this at Aldi as it's cheaper than the bigger places) and maybe another couple of bits and bobs as the week goes on. But it was not a bad amount.

Must finish unpacking it, and then go and see the horses, pick up child, etc.

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 12th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Daunted is a good word for it MFM. I know how you feel, I am a bit overwhelmed by money stuff and realise I also need to talk to people in the next month or two about my main fee earning contract and whether it can be extended.. Ugh. . It all makes you stop, maybe falter a step but basically knowing you you will pick yourself up and get back into the fray... Going what feels like backwards sometimes is all part of the journey when you have big projects on, are switching your working life, have kids etc etc...but remember its only temporary.

I am going to take your lead and get up and make coffee.. everything will then seem much better!

Have a great weekend and I hope you get out for a ride

Brizzle x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal 76/750 July Goals: AFDs 11/25; Declutter 60 items 07/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 05/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 13th May 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Thanks Brizzle, a well timed empathic but also motivational post . I often debate about stopping my diary as I'm actually not in debt any more; but I know how honest it keeps me when the chips are down.

So the lorry bill is paid. I had 60% of it and the recent sales should cover 10% more; but I've also agreed to buy something a friend was selling, for the new house. So the logical thing would be to make my paypal balance cover that. Anyway I have other savings, just not badged for this particular cost.

Yesterday was a NSD, but a little GnT made it not an AFD. Today I've definitely spent money (fuel, the predicted Aldi shop, plus some potty training bribery in the form of Percy Pigs and a sticker book). I'm going to need horse feed this week too but the place isn't open today.

Have also sent off the paperwork for the policy I'd forgotten about, so lets see in a few weeks if that comes to fruition.

Have a ton of things to do next week re the housebuild, and the flat. And packing, and finding a house to move to and finding the horses somewhere to go. Sigh.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 14th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So claimed another AFD. It's interesting actually - we are nearly half way through the month and although I feel I've had loads of days not drinking, I'm only on about a 50% ratio - 7 days alcohol free out of 13 days elapsed (to yesterday). NSDs are even worse! But hoping for one today. Have done the nursery run and someone else is feeding my horses; so saving fuel plus no temptation to shop. That will keep me on target for the end of the month I hope. (I did pay a bill for the housebuild but I'm not counting bill payments).

It's another lovely day here. Have towels on the line. Feel like I should wash something else but it's mostly all up to date, hurrah. I have also knocked several things off the to-do list this morning - email stuff re the housebuild mainly, plus also the admin on my flat. And we've a house viewing lined up for Friday for a rental for the big move. Next up is to figure out my horses. So I need to talk to the water company and find a fencing guy for the field.

As it's nice though, I might go out to the garage and try to sort some of the stuff that's out there. It's that or pack boxes inside. Sigh.

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Well done on the progress. I know....my AFDs are never as much as I think but my mid week drinking is definitely less.

Towels on the line is good. We all love some pegging out as Alice says and of course the sunny days x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 25% [29% May 25% June] 2018 Income Goal 76/750 July Goals: AFDs 11/25; Declutter 60 items 07/60; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise 05/30 Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 17th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Gosh Thursday already? I have done ok on AFD and NSD's so far. Not sure how today will pan out yet - might need to get stuff before we get in the car (heading north yet again to look at a rental house).

First some good news. I did some checking last night and we've managed to siphon off nearly 10k since we moved out of our house last August. This all goes towards the housebuild fund and basically represents what we'd have been paying off the capital on our mortgage if we'd still had it. Second piece of good news is the current credit card month is sooooo much better. My share currently only 168 with a week or so to go. Realistically I expect it will be close to 300 but that's so much better than the...

....bad news
    Bill that needs paid tomorrow is 720 (my share only ). I have 30 left this month, and 100 coming from holiday fund. So still nearly 600 to find. On top of that, lots of flat expenses to pay for. My annual bills pots are being emptied faster than I can fill them. I paid the lorry bill so my pot is now in debt . I've got enough in the flat repairs pot for the charge that's sitting on my other credit card, but the work that was done this week hasn't been invoiced for and will be around 500. About a third of it can come from the HB payment I am still due to receive. The rest is just a big fat hole. I'm hopefully going to get the money for my old iphone at some point but that is basically earmarked elsewhere.

But: at the moment, next month's budget looks better. There's some surplus and that's allowing for topping up all pots normally. Nursery bill goes down so that might allow enough for the credit card catch up. But not the flat expenses; and not the possible extra costs of sending my horse away for schooling. Still - the focus is helping and I will find a way, I'm sure....

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 21st May 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe

Have a ton of things to do next week re the housebuild, and the flat. And packing, and finding a house to move to and finding the horses somewhere to go. Sigh.
    Originally posted by mfmaybe
    Well I think we've found a house to move to and somewhere for the horses to go to. Those were big worries. Need to work out timing and logistics but that's a load off my mind.

Yesterday was an AFD and a NSD. Today won't be the latter, might manage the first!

Today needs a list:
    Shower
    Coffee

Make soup
    Meal plan
    Shopping list
    Food shop - 2 places

Change of addresses before Thursday
    Follow up on lease
    Pack some boxes
    Clean house a little bit
    Last edited by mfmaybe; 22-05-2018 at 8:17 AM.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 22nd May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    So no NSD or AFD yesterday but still on target. Today I should get both, I think. No plans to spend money anyway! Food shop yesterday: Have been using T3sco vouchers so I did the scan and shop again and it was 51 minus a 5 voucher. However we'd already spent 10 in Aldi the day before and will need milk and cereal later in the week from there too. Spends are still within budget, but I was questioning the wisdom of my voucher. I realised I was probably short of the required 50 so found myself throwing some expensive olives in . I did also buy some YS meat though. Either way, current month Amex is waaaay down on normal so the focus is paying off. Oh I also ordered catfood yesterday. Was half price, but may take up to 4 weeks to arrive. Hope I don't run out before then.

I did find myself frittering away a good chunk of yesterday so list time:
    Shower etc
    Horses
    Nursery later
    Make lemon drizzle cake
    Pack boxes.
    Email tenant all the paperwork
    Pay the bills for work in flat
    Remember to collect keys
    Update blog
    Washing

Umm ok that will do for now but have a feeling I'm missing bits.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 23rd May 18, 8:12 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Well I can pretty much copy and paste yesterday's list. Part Groundhog day, part avoidance from me. Still, I did get a few boxes packed. (But it's a month until we get the keys and it's hard to pack too far in advance.)

I did manage a NSD and an AFD yesterday, so the targets are close to being met. DH thought they were good ideas and seems to be coming on board. We need to learn to cut our cloth differently as my income will be stopping soon, hence trying to keep our Amex as small as possible.

So far this morning I've ironed DH's shirts and put our duvet in to wash. I've asked Alexa to remind me to put it in the dryer, just in case

Shower etc
    Horses
    Nursery later

Make lemon drizzle cake
    Pack boxes.
    Email tenant all the paperwork
    Pay the bills for work in flat
    Remember to collect keys
    Update blog
    Washing

Tidy kitchen
    Make a moving plan
    Last edited by mfmaybe; 23-05-2018 at 9:38 PM.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 24th May 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Managed an NSD yesterday, meeting my target . I think I've inadvertently also partaken in a shopping ban. I've bought food and fuel but don't remember the last thing I bought or ordered that was "stuff". And today is Amex cut-off day so that's looking so much healthier.

This is just as well as I still need to pay that bill for the electrical work in my flat. I'm going to bite the bullet and do it today and give my spreadsheets a major going over. DH owes me some money, and I'm due a little in for selling my phone. As I am starting to pack up some stuff I really need to get some stuff sold. I need to bite another bullet and start getting rid of baby stuff but I just can't bring myself to do it yet

In terms of today it's all pretty similar! But I must make the cake today as there's someone coming for tea - have managed to get the butter out of the fridge at least. I also have to go and get milk and a couple of bits from Aldi. I don't know if I will add packing boxes to my list, as it's at that awkward too early stage. I've done a lot already, so think I might have to wait a little bit longer for the rest. There aren't too many glory holes stuffed full, because we've only been here 9 months. The garage is probably the worst culprit, but it's stuff for the stables and the bike shed etc and so I need to decide where it is all going temporarily.

• lucielle
    • By lucielle 24th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8,018 Posts
    • 34,303 Thanks
    lucielle
    All sounding like you have a plan.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 25th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    All sounding like you have a plan.
    L
    Originally posted by lucielle
    Well I have a spreadsheet, and that's almost the same thing

In exciting news, the cake finally got made. Although it tasted fine it was a bit err rustic. I used my silicon loaf tin which I have now decided must be a 3lb tin and is also no use for cake as it spreads out. But I used the last of the icing sugar (not buying more till we move) and finished one bag of flour. Also managed to empty 2 booze bottles, but they were near the bottom so it's not quite as bad as it sounds

I've also got the first generous carload of stuff out of this house and into a friend's storage. This was stuff like painting paraphenalia and garden shed stuff and some of the baby stuff that I should have been selling. A good pile of it came out of the garage. I think realistically that's the place to focus on. There are lots of half unpacked boxes and loose things. Same friend is going to take some stuff to their house next week too - that will be out of season clothes and whatnot.

Yesterday wasn't an AFD or NSD but today could be the latter. It's Friday though, so no promises on the first Oh and finally paid the annoyingly huge bills for the flat, which means I can email the paperwork to the tenant and get the keys collected.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 25th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Amex news. The bill was doing really well but at the very last minute the annual fee got added. Still, I actually have my share saved up so without that it's a mere 250. This is the lowest I can recall it for a very long time. Of course I've just added 600 to my other card paying the bills for the flat, but at least that's all tax deductible.

Talking of which, I must get my P60 from work so I can get my tax return done. I put some money into the tax provision pot but maybe I won't need it. Ha.

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 25th May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Just catching up...you do sound like youre making progress, well done on sorting that electrical bill, just sometimes its slower than youd like

Have been deep cleaning the house all morning. Deep joy. But it was getting me down. Shuffled some money too so all good and still in the black
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 28th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Thanks Brizzle. Ugh to the deep cleaning. I hope you have more fun stuff planned today?

I've done all my errands for the day including the food shop. A load of towels hanging on the line. May do another load to make the most of the glorious weather, and then I am going to find every excuse to be outside, not packing boxes and not cleaning the house.

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 28th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Thanks Brizzle. Ugh to the deep cleaning. I hope you have more fun stuff planned today?

I've done all my errands for the day including the food shop. A load of towels hanging on the line. May do another load to make the most of the glorious weather, and then I am going to find every excuse to be outside, not packing boxes and not cleaning the house.
    Originally posted by mfmaybe
    Well the excuse was: glorious sunshine, a picnic mat and a book that accidentally made it on to the grass, and a child in nursery all day

• mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 29th May 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    I don't think our forecast is nearly so good today so I may be a little more productive! I am taking a trip to the blue and yellow swedish place today. My only intended purchase are some stools for DS. He's out of nappies now (yaaaaay) but switching between the toilet and the potty so needs a taller step so that he can comfortably get on the loo by himself. And another one for the kitchen as the step he uses is a bit unstable. But my intention is to spend a bit of time there in the kitchen department as well as otherwise generally looking for ideas, like lighting etc. (I do need to make sure I don't spend otherwise though. Have loosened the purse strings the last couple of days and I know from experience this is where it all goes wrong.)

Also going to try to pack up some out of season clothes and perhaps some more boxes if I can.

Moneywise, no movement on the current account yesterday. I need to keep an eye on it though. I am waiting for the first DD of the monthly rent from the new tenant, and in my experience there are often issues at first. But if it doesn't come in on time I will need to pad the balance from savings. I'm also waiting on the money for my phone. I also seem to recall a small dividend usually comes in around May but that should go to my mortgage overpayment.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

265Posts Today

3,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin