Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 26th Jun 07, 5:45 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Great 'Cheap Ways To Get In Shape For Summer' Hunt
    • 26th Jun 07, 5:45 PM
    The Great 'Cheap Ways To Get In Shape For Summer' Hunt 26th Jun 07 at 5:45 PM
    Summer's nearly here – despite the horrendous weather outside. It’s that time of year when people start thinking about shedding that spare tyre and squeezing into unforgiving trunks/bikinis. So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers’ collective knowledge to find cheap ways to get fit for summer

To share your ideas click reply.

Tell me:
    • what you do
    • how cheap/much you save
    • how long does it take to feel/see the benefit
    I'll start you off - MSE Antelo's noticed a free three day gym pass to any Fitness First gym on production of a can of Adidas deodrant (which is currently 99p in Savers) in the Metro, a free weekday newspaper available at London train and underground stations, every Monday for the last three weeks. As long as he's disciplined, and uses all three days, that's at least a week's worth for the average gym membership user, meaning a saving of around £15.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 26-06-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 26th Jun 07, 5:55 PM
    • 26,328 Posts
    • 107,592 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 26th Jun 07, 5:55 PM
    • 26th Jun 07, 5:55 PM
    You can also get a free 3 day pass to carrefour gyms if you go to their website www.carrefour.uk.com
    Last edited by candygirl; 26-06-2007 at 5:59 PM.
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
  • phantomteabagger
    • 26th Jun 07, 6:00 PM
    • 26th Jun 07, 6:00 PM
    • what you do
    Run/Cycle
    Costs £0
    Immediate benefit

Why anyone would pay to keep themselves in fitness I do not know.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 26th Jun 07, 6:28 PM
    • 26,328 Posts
    • 107,592 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 26th Jun 07, 6:28 PM
    • 26th Jun 07, 6:28 PM
    • what you do
    Run/Cycle
    Costs £0
    Immediate benefit

Why anyone would pay to keep themselves in fitness I do not know.
    Originally posted by phantomteabagger
    I don't know yet as i've just joined, but thought the 3 day free pass would be good for anyone who wanted to try a gym out
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • jamtart6
    • By jamtart6 26th Jun 07, 8:57 PM
    • 8,650 Posts
    • 25,443 Thanks
    jamtart6
    • 26th Jun 07, 8:57 PM
    • 26th Jun 07, 8:57 PM
    I do my davina dvd 3 times a week costs around £10! plus quidco!

Being Thrifty Gifty again this year

• Pound
    • By Pound 26th Jun 07, 11:15 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 1,323 Thanks
    Pound
    • 26th Jun 07, 11:15 PM
    • 26th Jun 07, 11:15 PM
    My car insurance is up for renewal, the provider I'm with wants £750! I'm seriously thinking of not renewing it and spending a few hundred quid on a good bike.

On top of the insurance, I'd save on petrol, road tax, parking, maintenance. At least a grand if I can hold out for a year.

• imtight
    • 27th Jun 07, 7:37 AM
    • 27th Jun 07, 7:37 AM
    :confused: Joined weight watchers last week. Look up the site and print out the coupon for free joining fee. supposedly saves you £9 or £7.50 pensioners. Mind you when I got there I found out that there is always an offer on. weekly fees are £4.50 or £4.25 for over 60's. you are charged 20p for a cardboard cup of nasty coffee which you have to make yourself. I asked if I could stay for the first evening without joining to see if I thought it was suitable for me, but was told no I had to join on arrival. They give you lots of booklets and a chart to record your weekly food intake. Seems a lot to pay for being weighed each week, not much else happens in the hour that you are there, a lot of it is taken up waiting for each member to be weighed, a raffle and talk of other money making ideas. If you need to ask any advice you do it while you are being weighed or telephone. You could photocopy the food chart and then weigh yourself each week, but the terms and conditions I signed, I was not allowed to take a copy home with me they say they keep that. Apparently you are allowed two weeks 'holiday' in other words, if you don't turn up without booking it as holiday, you are liable for the £4.50. I would like to look again at the terms and conditions I signed. The lady who was running it was very vague when I asked how long I had signed up for, only saying that she would telephone me if I didn't turn up one week without being on 'holiday', and would be liable for the £4.25. Not very satisfactory in my opinion.
  • jjjggg
    • 27th Jun 07, 9:23 AM
    • 27th Jun 07, 9:23 AM
    Be brave, find and join a friendly running that has a programme to help people develop. We joined the Stragglers club in Kingston upon Thames (£5 per annum) and by going along regularly helped us get much fitter and stronger. We started off with walking and slowly progressed from there. They have groups for all abilities and don't leave anyone behind. The positive encouragement from the people who go along is fantastic. http://www.stragglers.org/littlefeet.htm

Buy a decent pair of trainers, not from high street joke shops like JJB/ JD/ Sportsworld etc., but from a proper running shop such as up and running or sweatshop who have properly trained staff to help you select the right shoes for you. With your running club membership card you would probably get 10-15% off of the price of your shoes i.e. £6-12 which more than covers the cost of your membership.

Read and follow the free beginner's tips and schedules from Runnersworld. Follow them religiously and don't go mad and you will surprise yourself with your progress. Just focus on getting out and enjoying the next session- don't look too far ahead and ignore the weather. Running with others can help with motivation. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1461

If you go running at night make sure you wear bright clothes.

Take 5 minutes a day and try and do as many sit ups as you can in that time. keep your feet on the floor and your knees well bent. keep a record and try to improve your number each day, but don't kill yourself. Stop whenever you need to. Your waistline will shrink, your posture will improve and your back will get stronger.

Cost around £8 or £9 per month.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 03-07-2007 at 11:33 AM.
  • lcparkinson
    • 27th Jun 07, 9:53 AM
    • 27th Jun 07, 9:53 AM
    Go hiking.

Either go it alone on one of the many, many well marked and signposted trails and paths looked after by people such as the National Trust and local councils, or buy a book or map and go cross country if you've got the navigational skills and proper equipment. Most popular walking car parks now have lots of information boards, and tourist info centres with free or very cheap leaflets with maps and walking routes.

There's a path for everyone - from a couple of miles nice flat wander through some woods to the really hard core routes which take several days and require you to carry all your kit for camping wild as well. Hiking is also very child friendly - and they'll sleep all the way home in the car most likely!

Walking magazines often have routes and maps in them, charity shops usually have one or two local maps for sale for under a quid. Local ramblers groups are also plentiful if you'd like a guide or to go with some more experienced folk. You don't have to pay to join the Ramblers Assoc on your first couple of trips out.

You don't need much equipment for the easier stuff. Waterproof jacket is always handy, some lunch, plenty of water, a few warm layers of clothing and emergency rations like chocolate in case you get stuck anywhere is about all. You will of course need to be properly equipped with a compass, map, survival blanket/bivvy bag and small first aid kit for more serious hiking.

It's a great feeling of achievement to get to the top of the mountain and survey the view - and I promise you, you'll discover bits of your lungs you didn't think you had on the way up. Enjoy your lunch and the view and then potter down to a nice cream tea/pint in the pub.

It's a fantastic way to keep fit, get fresh air, meet people, and see the beautiful country we live in.
  • suzithefloozy
    Trampolining!!
    Now, I don't have kids, but I know lots of people do, and I've also noticed the sudden appearance of these massive trampoline things in the gardens of most people who have kids.

Having been on one (yes I had to have a go!) I noticed that after about one minute of bouncing I was absolutely cream crackered! It really wears you out and therefore must be great exercise, so I recommend all adults whose kids have these just to get on them for about 5 mins a day and you'll have a great workout for no extra money (so long as you make sure it can support your weight first lol!), you don't even have to leave the house and you'll have absolutely loads of fun too. In fact, when we move to our new house I'm gonna get myself one!! (anyone know where I can get one cheap??)
    Last edited by suzithefloozy; 27-06-2007 at 10:07 AM.
    Trust me - I'm a scientist!!!

Mortgage - too big to comprehend!

CC debt - none!
    • Hime
    • By Hime 27th Jun 07, 10:01 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Hime
    fit for free
    Get together with a friend or friends, once a week at least and power walk around your local park or area. Great chance to exercise and keep in touch with people. You could start your own group and help each other not to loose motivation. Wear bright clothing if you walk at night.
    • Kitty_jc
    • By Kitty_jc 27th Jun 07, 10:16 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Kitty_jc
    Just Walk!
    As a qualified fitness instructor, the best advice I can give to get fit for free is to just WALK! You don't even need to power walk. You just need to walk. And it doesn't matter how you do it. Make sure you have some suitable shoes (trainers, walking shoes, comfy flat ones), step out of your front door and keep going! get your heart rate up and keep going for at least 30 minutes, 3-5 times per week.

Make sure that you stand tall as you go and breathe evenly.

And from a dietary point of view (and the following is personal not professioal experience). Although not technically free, if you eat properly, you will feel full longer thus need to spend less money on food. I don't go in for "fad" diets at all, but the GI or GL plan is fantastic. It's scientifically based and is basically just a sensible healthy diet. The GL diet book is reasonably cheap and gives plenty of advice.

Happy Getting Fit!
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 03-07-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    • Kitty_jc
    • By Kitty_jc 27th Jun 07, 10:26 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Kitty_jc
    [quote=jjjggg;5577950]
    Take 5 minutes a day and try and do as many sit ups as you can in that time. keep your feet on the floor and your knees well bent. keep a record and try to improve your number each day, but don't kill yourself. Stop whenever you need to. Your waistline will shrink, your posture will improve and your back will get stronger.

quote]

Please don't do this: you cannot target a specific area of your body like this. You also need to work all the surrounding muscles. By just doing sits ups, it is physically impossible for your waist to shrink as you are not working the muscles in your waist. Your back will actually be weakened as you are only exercising the muscles in the front of your body so they will most likely become tighter and shorter, and as your back muscles weaken, they will become pliable and longer and you could end up with a hunch in your back.

A full set of abdominal exercises should consist of working the muscles in your stomach, the muscles on both sides of your waist and the muscles in your lower back.
    • A little stressed!!
    • By A little stressed!! 27th Jun 07, 10:29 AM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    A little stressed!!
    Rampant Sex!
    Having sex is a great work out and it proven to boost your immune system and make you happy! (Releases loadsa chemicals)

Also sex is usually free, but can cost u a few Bacardi Breezers.

"Sexual therapists remind us that frequent sex is a form of exercise. And feeling secure in a relationship leads to feeling happier, which could lead to greater health…and a younger look."

2 WARNINGS
    - THE ONLY SEX IS SAFE SEX
    - DON'T GET PREGNANT BECAUSE YOU WILL GET FAT

HAVE FUN
  • rls1973
    [quote=lcparkinson;5578225]Go hiking.

Walking magazines often have routes and maps in them, charity shops usually have one or two local maps for sale for under a quid. Local ramblers groups are also plentiful if you'd like a guide or to go with some more experienced folk. You don't have to pay to join the Ramblers Assoc on your first couple of trips out.

quote]

also, regarding maps/routes, a lot of local councils will send you a pack of maps containing cycle/walking routes in the area, and this should be free

(if you don't count the highway robbery that is your council tax )
  • Rebecca M
    WeightWatchers: cheaper online access
    Hi,

I just read the post about weightwatchers: WW do promote an excellent healthy eating plan and I have been sucessful following the plan.

What I did to avoid paying ~£20 a month:-

I got the code off the leader at the first meeting which enabled me to access the information online and joined up to that at £6.75 a month. So I can still access all the progress cards, recipes, healthy eating tips, motivation tips etc . . . without having to go to weekly meetings.

Normally if you join online it costs ~£30 a month
    Last edited by Rebecca M; 27-06-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
  • lee c
    Funny this has come up. I have just started Body for Life.

I am not going to buy all the meal supliments, but just do the excercises they have online.

www.bodyforlife.com

cheers
    Lee
  • ms piggy
    My car insurance is up for renewal, the provider I'm with wants £750! I'm seriously thinking of not renewing it and spending a few hundred quid on a good bike.

On top of the insurance, I'd save on petrol, road tax, parking, maintenance. At least a grand if I can hold out for a year.
    Originally posted by Pound
    dont accept quote for renewal, shop around and get quote from same company as if you were a new customer. I did this with my son's car and got nearly 50% off the renewal quote with the same company.
    Then buy yourself a second hand bike!
  • Justie
    buy seasonal veg (and the reduced stuff in the supermarket) and make soup - there is evidence that eating the same number of calories and volume of fluid in soup form fills you up for longer than eating the same caloires and drinking the same volume of water therefore it's a good way to lose weight. There are lots of soups that work well cold too for if the weather ever gets any better.

grow your own salad leaves - can be done in a pot if you've no garden
    If you've grown it yourself you're more likely to eat it plus you can pick as much or as little as you need and the rest will keep growing
    sprout your own beansprouts too

put aside the tea/coffee and fizzy drinks and drink filtered tap water (hot with a slice of lemon in a morning for a quick pick me up) - if you usually buy a latte a day you'll soon save enough for a new bikini/trunks

make the most of the good weather and walk - borrow a dog if you don't have one to make it more "fun" (offer to dog sit when friends are on their holidays and you could earn money too)

get a skipping rope and skip - burns lots of calories and you can do it in a small space (although mind your lights if you try it indoors)
  • claire1847
    I'm with Kitty! Having found the GL / dietfreedom.co.uk info on here when they were doing the free month trial offer earlier this year I have lost almost 2 stone, and am walking as my exercise. It has been life changing for me, and I have busted a lot of really bad food habits!

As for the sex, well yes, it's GREAT exercise and the more weight I lose and the more I walk the more sexy I feel and the Other Half is VERY pleased ;o) it's all gone a bit honeymoon in our house right now!

www.dietfreedom.co.uk - not expensive for what you get, and apparently a big site revamp is underway (am a member so you get to hear about these things). On the money saving side in the latest GL book which is the GL Diet made Easy there is a 20% off voucher in the back and I'm going to be naughty and tell you it's GLDME. You're gonna want to buy the book anyway, it's good!

Also invest in a good body brush and give your whole body a brush each morning before the shower, you'll have lovely skin and tan better and it's apparently one of the best things for cellulite, give good moisturising after your shower too.

anyway that's my thoughts on looking delicious for summer - good luck everyone xx Claire
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,420Posts Today

8,030Users online

Martin's Twitter