Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 6th Jan 14, 1:31 PM
    • 21,629Posts
    • 29,326Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Things that made you smile
    • 6th Jan 14, 1:31 PM
    Things that made you smile 6th Jan 14 at 1:31 PM
    We have a what's irritating you thread, and I think we need a thread for things that have made us smile, etc.

Me - well, we have a puppy who is now 8 months. I let her out this morning and was hoping to keep the door open for her to come in. But it was too windy. I was stood by the door waiting for her, expecting to see her come down the steps.

I then heard a tap at the door. She'd come down the steps, which I hadn't seen and tapped to be let in. She also taps to go out.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - 75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 80.25
Page 179
    • colinw
    • By colinw 20th Nov 18, 4:05 PM
    • 54,800 Posts
    • 151,302 Thanks
    colinw
    Loft only took an hour, got all my crap back up the loft, and did the floor part of my clean-a-thon. Have now given up and put my dinner on early, having forgotten about lunch, and am about to do the bathroom and surfaces part of the cleaning while dinner cooks. I like days when I feel like I've actually done stuff, although I do feel like one of those annoying t*ts on FB who's always bragging about what a busy life they lead while typing this.

Anyway, my flat looks like a tidy flat again instead of a dumping ground and it makes me very happy.
    Originally posted by Sunny Intervals
    You are forgiven for being an annoying tit today
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Nov 18, 3:17 AM
    • 40,673 Posts
    • 150,559 Thanks
    Pyxis

I am really craving smoked kippers, but a) they reek, which means my entire flat will reek and b) the bones drive me crazy.
    You can get vacuum-packed fillets that you cook in the bag with minimal smell and minimal bones.
    More expensive, though, but good for an occasional treat.

I just fell down a brief internet rabbit hole while looking at tinned fish. I'd never heard of sild before, so I googled it.

It turns out sild is a young herring, especially one that's been canned. Sild is also the Danish word for herring and a slang word for an attractive young woman. I can't see that going down well over here.
    Oh memory lane!
    I used to eat loads of sild, notably as an impoverished student, as they were cheap.
    Haven't had any for years, though.

Nb. Bloaters are herring, too, but I've never seen any.
    The name probably puts people off.

Edit. Pilchards are herrings, too.
    Memories of school dinners.

Herrings have a lot to answer for.

It's all the same length except for the fringe, just below chin length.

Would probably be called a Lob (long bob).
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    We is twins, then!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 21-11-2018 at 3:25 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 21st Nov 18, 7:36 AM
    • 15,095 Posts
    • 58,233 Thanks
    joansgirl

We is twins, then!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Actually, mine is more like a bush than anything else, and still annoying me so is still being scraped back in an elastic.

Maybe I should have a Sunny Intervals cut
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 21st Nov 18, 9:13 AM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Zinco
    The good neighbour gave me a lift home from the shops again.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 21st Nov 18, 2:15 PM
    • 40,673 Posts
    • 150,559 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Part of the reason mine got shorter and shorter is because I have what a hairdresser called "strong growth patterns", which is apparently hairdresser speak for "grows in about 72 different directions". Even now, when I shave it off, I have to go over it many times in several directions and I still end up with a couple of little tufts. Keeps my head cool, though, and saves a fortune on hair products and haircuts.

I've actually let it grow out a bit lately while I've been dealing with all the deliveries and workmen and stuff. Even at a couple of inches, it's already all over the bloody place. Might do it later today if my uterus releases me from this semi-foetal position.
    Have you considered going on the pill? That would release you from the lunar torments. It was a life-changer for me.

Re. The bushy hair: mine would also be a horticultural marvel, fit only for topiary, in this current chin-length style, were it not for the Nobel-Prize-winning invention that are hair-straighteners.

Ok, it's a faff, but it tames the gorse into silk better than Androcles did his lion.

Re. shaving your head, do you shave it all off, or just the back and sides?
    If you shave it all off, you could paint a lovely picture on your bonce. Seriously. There are some pics on t'net somewhere.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 21st Nov 18, 3:35 PM
    • 8,927 Posts
    • 29,237 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Whilst being shackled to a desk at work, I am much enjoying this.

Also watching a superlatively irreverent colleague serenely detonating a minor war amidst the training people. I'm only on the ripples as Cc'ed in, but if I am rippling [with choked laughter], what can the recipients be doing?! Suddenly the inbox has become interesting so it'll stick shut for hours now.
    • quoia
    • By quoia 21st Nov 18, 10:39 PM
    • 13,205 Posts
    • 141,650 Thanks
    quoia
    Monty Python's LIFE OF BRIAN ......

.... a screening tonight at 8:30pm ....

.... IN .....

DERBY CATHEDRAL
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ()
    () Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • quoia
    • By quoia 22nd Nov 18, 12:52 AM
    • 13,205 Posts
    • 141,650 Thanks
    quoia
    Some POLAR BEARS in the Isle of Man

.... in a shopping centre Xmas display
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ()
    () Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 22nd Nov 18, 3:25 AM
    • 40,673 Posts
    • 150,559 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I

No 1 all over, so not totally bald. It's very soft.

I used to see a guy on my bus to work sometimes who had a rather rude tattoo on his head. I've also seen some very pretty ones online that women have had after chemo or alopecia.
    Hair tattoos are lovely! (Patterns cut into the hair).
    Very high maintenance, though, I would think.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Nov 18, 8:04 AM
    • 8,927 Posts
    • 29,237 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    On a cold & frosty morning, where motorists are misjudging corners & paying the price, I grinned at the police cars light strobing to the beat of my car radio playing "Staying Alive".

Whomever is picking the music to bracket the traffic report has an impressively black sense of humour.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Nov 18, 2:09 PM
    • 8,927 Posts
    • 29,237 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    You'll smile even more when you go to buy the same tins in a few months & the prices have gone up - food is now a shrewd savings method.

Middle son decided to use this Black Friday opportunity to replace his phone, and mindful of the squawks that thus spending his money would trigger, shrewdly picked out his bargain at John Lewis. That they'd sold out by the time he'd got me ready to pay was unfortunate but he'd already checked Amazon had the same gadget at the same price. I was outmanouevered but amused.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 22nd Nov 18, 3:00 PM
    • 9,309 Posts
    • 9,762 Thanks
    pogofish
    A former senior government minister telling me that - "people used to look at me and laugh when I said that one day I would lead them" - Err... OK...!
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 22nd Nov 18, 3:17 PM
    • 27,244 Posts
    • 115,572 Thanks
    candygirl
    My dogs, watching the water board dig up the pavement outside One of the blokes came n cuddled Bonnie
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Nov 18, 4:45 PM
    • 8,927 Posts
    • 29,237 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    My class. Chomped through their lunchbreak to get away early, so I have an extra hour! Wonderful young people.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 23rd Nov 18, 7:23 PM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    My dog licking clean the peanut butter jar
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 23rd Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    • 15,538 Posts
    • 32,215 Thanks
    Sleazy
    My dog licking clean the peanut butter jar
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    Something in the air Wiz - our cat has decided that he likes fishing for food in the bin! I suspect if he scavenges his own bin, he probably scavenges elsewhere too ... and he always has plenty of food and isn't skinny at all!
    Weekly Distance Walked 32 km / Total For Year 376 km
    Anything posted here falls under The Official Secret Eater's Act
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 24th Nov 18, 10:13 AM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Moonshine Shadows

The 7am walk today saw us in an avenue of trees with the only light being from the Moon which was straight ahead of us and when the whispy cloud moved away and the light was full, it picked out the shadow of my dog ahead of me perfectly
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 24th Nov 18, 11:46 AM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    England's bowlers
    • Zinco
    • By Zinco 24th Nov 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    Zinco
    Sad neighbours across the road who spend more time smoking outside than they do indoors.

Seriously they chain smoke!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 24th Nov 18, 6:11 PM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Sad neighbours across the road who spend more time smoking outside than they do indoors.

Seriously they chain smoke!
    Originally posted by Zinco
    I have a neighbour like that and she goes out to smoke all day in her pj's
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,592Posts Today

7,835Users online

Martin's Twitter