Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Indie Kid
    • By Indie Kid 6th Jan 14, 1:31 PM
    • 21,629Posts
    • 29,326Thanks
    Indie Kid
    Things that made you smile
    • 6th Jan 14, 1:31 PM
    Things that made you smile 6th Jan 14 at 1:31 PM
    We have a what's irritating you thread, and I think we need a thread for things that have made us smile, etc.

Me - well, we have a puppy who is now 8 months. I let her out this morning and was hoping to keep the door open for her to come in. But it was too windy. I was stood by the door waiting for her, expecting to see her come down the steps.

I then heard a tap at the door. She'd come down the steps, which I hadn't seen and tapped to be let in. She also taps to go out.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - 75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 80.25
Page 165
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 24,550 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Oooooh! What do you have to do?

I was told years ago that I couldn't be on the bone marrow register due to my medication, (I'd already known I couldn't give blood), so if I can be on it now, I'd love to apply!

What do you have to do?
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    You register with DKMS, a charity devoted to deleting blood cancer, they send you swabs, you rub them on the inside of your cheek (one at a time, ideally first thing in the morning before you brush your teeth - the Things You Learn From Google, eh?!) send them back & the analysis gets logged on the register which is shared with the traditional teams like the blood donors & Antony Nolan lot.

Apparently when you it 61, you are removed from the list. Which I think is ageist but then while the technology has improved might actually be a kindness. (Although if my sons or hoped-for grandchildren ever needed a retrofitted immune system, I do hope their medics would not be unduly picky about best before dates if it gave said folk a respite. However, the cost of keeping folk alive is getting higher so maybe expectation management is important.

I grouch mildly about not being allowed to give blood - but let me persuade you this is a perfectly valid & acceptable alternative? Plus you get a card & key fob which may help remind your family of your donor intentions at some future time. (Dust to dust no doubt, but let as much of me as is useful take the scenic route!)
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Sep 18, 9:01 AM
    • 38,604 Posts
    • 142,743 Thanks
    Pyxis
    You register with DKMS, a charity devoted to deleting blood cancer, they send you swabs, you rub them on the inside of your cheek (one at a time, ideally first thing in the morning before you brush your teeth - the Things You Learn From Google, eh?!) send them back & the analysis gets logged on the register which is shared with the traditional teams like the blood donors & Antony Nolan lot.

Apparently when you it 61, you are removed from the list. Which I think is ageist but then while the technology has improved might actually be a kindness. (Although if my sons or hoped-for grandchildren ever needed a retrofitted immune system, I do hope their medics would not be unduly picky about best before dates if it gave said folk a respite. However, the cost of keeping folk alive is getting higher so maybe expectation management is important.

I grouch mildly about not being allowed to give blood - but let me persuade you this is a perfectly valid & acceptable alternative? Plus you get a card & key fob which may help remind your family of your donor intentions at some future time. (Dust to dust no doubt, but let as much of me as is useful take the scenic route!)
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Just had a look at the link, and you can't even register once you are over 55.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Sep 18, 9:19 AM
    • 11,520 Posts
    • 21,228 Thanks
    Sleazy
    I'm past the 'Best Before' and 'Use By' dates ...

I wanted to volunteer as a courier for the Anthony Nolan Trust, but guess I may be considered too old for that as well, as it can apparently be quite physical / hectic.

I'd rather be eccentric than egocentric
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Sep 18, 9:20 AM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 24,550 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Dash. Antony Nolan is even more prescriptive!
    People joining our register must:

be between 16 and 30 years old
    be in good health
    weigh over 7st 12lbs (50kg)
    have a body mass index (BMI) lower than 40
    Some days I shake my head in bafflement as to why there is such a range of charities etc to one stated purpose, but at least people can try.
    There's always organ donation (but you must be over 18!) I think if you can marry, you should be allowed to donate and miword I've not heard of a "designer sibling" being given any say but then placental stem cells are not exactly considered donation despite the effort gone into creating them.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Sep 18, 9:34 AM
    • 38,604 Posts
    • 142,743 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Dash. Antony Nolan is even more prescriptive!

Some days I shake my head in bafflement as to why there is such a range of charities etc to one stated purpose, but at least people can try.
    There's always organ donation (but you must be over 18!) I think if you can marry, you should be allowed to donate and miword I've not heard of a "designer sibling" being given any say but then placental stem cells are not exactly considered donation despite the effort gone into creating them.
    Even with organ donation, I believe that a lot of organs can't be used if you are over a certain age, which I suppose is fair enough, as you don't want to give someone a nearly worn-out organ.

EDIT....... Correction....I am wrong. Each organ is assessed individually, and people in their 80s and 90s have donated organs.

Where I was confused was because to be a living donor of, say, a kidney, there is an age limit, which seems to be 70.
    That's fair enough, as the risks to the donor probably escalate with increasing age.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 15-09-2018 at 9:39 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Sep 18, 9:47 AM
    • 24,651 Posts
    • 64,419 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Just seen a clip of Crosby, Stills and Nash on Breakfast.

I was musing on how lovely they looked, true 60/70s young men, then switch to now. David Crosby on the looking like Father Christmas!

OH's ageing looks damn good in contrast!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Sep 18, 5:12 PM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 24,550 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Originally Posted by Pyxis
    Where I was confused was because to be a living donor of, say, a kidney, there is an age limit, which seems to be 70.
    That's fair enough, as the risks to the donor probably escalate with increasing age.
    And yet, hope may yet spring - look at these two examples!
    male and a family member who said the donation was easy - coping with the media attention was a lot harder! &
    female

So hope on...
    Fiona Biggins, transplant recipient co-ordinator at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: "There is no age limit when it comes to organ donations, although each potential donor has to be assessed on an individual basis.

"We are always extremely grateful to all those who consider making this generous offer.

"This lady has been incredibly kind by donating her kidney at the age of 85 to a complete stranger and she is a real inspiration.

"She is a very traditional and matter-of-fact woman and we have thoroughly enjoyed caring for her.
    It could be you?

I'd reckon the upper limit may be on the recipient.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Sep 18, 5:52 PM
    • 38,604 Posts
    • 142,743 Thanks
    Pyxis
    And yet, hope may yet spring - look at these two examples!
    male and a family member who said the donation was easy - coping with the media attention was a lot harder! &
    female

So hope on...

It could be you?

I'd reckon the upper limit may be on the recipient.
    That's all very well, but if I can't be on the blood donor register, and I can't be on the bone marrow register, how are they going to know if I have a kidney compatible with someone?

I must admit, to be a living donor........ I think I would have to be a lot older than I am now, to consider doing that, ubless it were my child, etc.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Sep 18, 6:19 PM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 24,550 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I do wish the donor teams would do a roadshow on what's involved, what's needed, and open the doors a bit further. I don't need tea & biscuits, I need information!

As a colleague was a match for her brother, and donated a kidney, (even got paid time off!) but is now off some cough mixtures as they'd put too much load on her remaining kidney. It's nuggets of knowledge of the swings & roundabouts that make deciding to tell your GP you're interested in altruistic donation, but don't otherwise know where to start, trickier.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Sep 18, 8:13 AM
    • 8,056 Posts
    • 24,550 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Whimpering with laughter throughout elsien's camping with dog thread - it's not just the way she tells them, but the supportive nature of this site that brings tears to the eyes. If you haven't considered the potential - dive in & read, but put any beverage away from the IT tackle first....
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Sep 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4,498 Posts
    • 15,944 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    That's all very well, but if I can't be on the blood donor register, and I can't be on the bone marrow register, how are they going to know if I have a kidney compatible with someone?

I must admit, to be a living donor........ I think I would have to be a lot older than I am now, to consider doing that, ubless it were my child, etc.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Contact the organ donation folk at www.organdonation.nhs.uk and ask about options.

I was a platelet donor and on the bone marrow register since 1991 but medication has stopped me donating blood and although I have not been told, my name has probably been removed from the marrow register due to my age even though I signed up when young enough.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.4
    Total so far - 2848
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Sep 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4,498 Posts
    • 15,944 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The look on people's faces when they realise that my dog is actually watching the football match and I am not
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.4
    Total so far - 2848
    • colinw
    • By colinw 18th Sep 18, 11:55 AM
    • 53,051 Posts
    • 146,943 Thanks
    colinw
    The utter naivety of people who suddenly realise what they post on forums shows up in google for years to come, I just do not get how they can not realise this anyway I am not referring to people on this forum btw....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,298Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter