Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 11th Dec 19, 6:39 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 3,220 Thanks
    matelodave
    Contact your energy company/distribution company and request them to remove the meter and cap the supply - I dont know if they'll charge to take it away but I'm sure they will to re-instate it.

You need to ensure that the supply is properly disabled otherwise you can still get charged the s/c
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • MilkyJoe
    • By MilkyJoe 12th Dec 19, 8:18 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    MilkyJoe
    I suggest you consult a comparison site.

For a usage of 20 per year on the previous Ebico zero tariff that had no mimimum charge (about 306kWh), there are about 35 tariffs from a range of suppliers that would allow you to buy the same quantity of gas for less than 104 per year. Prices start from about 60 per year (before you consider possible cashback)

You may be better off overall on a dual fuel tariff, so check that possibility too.
    Originally posted by EnergyTwist
    I use this site's comparison energy club. Apparently I'm on the cheapest. I'm pretty sure they don't take into account the minimum charge so it's confusing to compare their findings. I've looked into disconnecting and the charge means I may as well just pay for gas.
    It looks like you have some knowledge of tariffs, can you point me to one or 2 that you mention, as the ones I've checked the standing charge puts the amount I'll be paying back into the at least 100 range. The only one with no standing charge I can find is Utilita, and the extra I'll be paying for electric seems to make up for the little I'll be paying for gas. I only typically use around 2 kWh a day in electric so their 2 tiered rates (which they say 2 kWh a day is their switch to the cheaper rate) make it confusing also.

P.S. I meant 25 a year, but close enough.
    Last edited by MilkyJoe; 12-12-2019 at 8:24 AM. Reason: Math
    The View Belongs To Everyone
    • meldrew58
    • By meldrew58 14th Jan 20, 12:26 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    meldrew58
    Just tried to sign up to Ebico.
    Their 'zero standing charge' Green V4 claims to have no standing charge.
    However they now have a minimum annual charge of 108!

Remaining option seems to be Utilita - their ZSC seems valid but to get it you have to sign up to their expensive (30pkwh) electricity.

Thinking of signing up & then directly moving the electricity to a better provider.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Cheers
    Originally posted by Pjeff
    Been with Ebico for 12 months as property empty and for sale. Their new Green Fixed 4 does still offer no standing charge but you have to meet their "minimum overall spend" which is 52 for electricity and 104 for gas even if you don't actually use any at all! Not very ethical.
    Think Utilita offer no standing charge but you have to have Smart Meter and not sure if there's any minimum spend as their website is really unhelpful - wonder why.
    • Kitchen Sink
    • By Kitchen Sink 14th Jan 20, 1:29 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Kitchen Sink
    Been with Ebico for 12 months as property empty and for sale. Their new Green Fixed 4 does still offer no standing charge but you have to meet their "minimum overall spend" which is 52 for electricity and 104 for gas even if you don't actually use any at all! Not very ethical.
    Think Utilita offer no standing charge but you have to have Smart Meter and not sure if there's any minimum spend as their website is really unhelpful - wonder why.
    Originally posted by meldrew58
    Utilita does have some tariffs that require you to have smart meters, and sometimes a PPM

However, they also have a tariff for traditional credit meters.

It's a 2 tier tariiff, iirc, and charges something like a quid for the first kWh used per day for electricity.
    Gas is also highly priced.
    Other than that, there is no minimum charge provision.

Consult a couple of good comparison sites to find the best deal for you.
    e.g. Benight indicated quite a good deal for the OP of this thread last weekend
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6090218 (post#5)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,269Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter