Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 28th Nov 13, 3:48 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    • 28th Nov 13, 3:48 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 3:48 PM
    You always get random bits popping up at lidl/aldi! Haven't seen this in our branch yet though. Where is it on their website? If it is there.

Edit: Just found it, it's got a 3 year warranty which is decent. There are some opinions online. One thread here: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/tools-at-lidl-t52100.html
    Last edited by MrBrindle; 28-11-2013 at 3:52 PM.
  • fleeto3
    • 28th Nov 13, 4:59 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 4:59 PM
    It's on sale from Monday. As you say a three year warranty isn't to be sniffed at. I'll get the Mrs it as part of her Christmas lol
    • michaelgordon
    • By michaelgordon 28th Nov 13, 6:58 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    michaelgordon
    • 28th Nov 13, 6:58 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 6:58 PM
    tempted to get one of these didnt realise how much of a mess thses stoves create, i presume ash that is collected can just be put back on the grate
  • fleeto3
    • 28th Nov 13, 7:28 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 7:28 PM
    [QUOTE=michaelgordon;63915886]tempted to get one of these didnt realise how much of a mess thses stoves create, i presume ash that is collected can just be put back on the grate[/QUOT

Why would you put it back in? It's been a while since I've had a coal fire and I recall cold embers were great for getting it to light in the morning. Ash not just clog it up again?
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 28th Nov 13, 7:39 PM
    • 13,039 Posts
    • 11,636 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 28th Nov 13, 7:39 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 7:39 PM
    In all 6 years of having a stove and burning wood I have never needed a vacuum cleaner, most of the ash goes in pan and a simple dust pan and brush to remove any that might miss when emptying the ash pan.Of course I do this when the ash is cold most goes in the bin, I keep some back sometimes for composter/garden which is all wood ash
    Last edited by savemoney; 28-11-2013 at 7:51 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 28th Nov 13, 7:42 PM
    • 66,485 Posts
    • 390,696 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 28th Nov 13, 7:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 7:42 PM
    tempted to get one of these didnt realise how much of a mess thses stoves create, i presume ash that is collected can just be put back on the grate
    Originally posted by michaelgordon
    No, you remove it from the house, dispose of it. If you've a garden, you lob it out there in a pile.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 28th Nov 13, 8:01 PM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 1,916 Thanks
    SG27
    • 28th Nov 13, 8:01 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 8:01 PM
    In all 6 years of having a stove and burning wood I have never needed a vacuum cleaner, most of the ash goes in pan and a simple dust pan and brush to remove any that might miss when emptying the ash pan.Of course I do this when the ash is cold most goes in the bin, I keep some back sometimes for composter/garden which is all wood ash
    Originally posted by savemoney
    No not needed but a hell of a lot easier to just suck up the excess ash now and then rather than mess about taking out the ash pan. Might put it on my Christmas list.
    • Greenfires
    • By Greenfires 28th Nov 13, 9:55 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Greenfires
    • 28th Nov 13, 9:55 PM
    • 28th Nov 13, 9:55 PM
    Never known a chimney sweep use an ash vacuum - and never read a good review of one come to that!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 28th Nov 13, 10:12 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Originally posted by savemoney
    I was shoveling excess ash from the stove a couple of days ago into a plastic tub I use for taking it out.

I slipped and dumped a shovelful of ash onto myself and the carpet. As I was trying to brush the ash off myself, I knocked over the plastic tub, spreading even more ash over myself and the carpet.

I certainly needed the vacuum cleaner then!

I don't have a fancy ash vac - just an antique Goblin cleaner that seems pretty much indestructible.
    • suisidevw
    • By suisidevw 29th Nov 13, 7:06 AM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    suisidevw
    Just sweep up and put it back as ash bed in the fire! Then if I ever do need to empty the ash, just put it into a cereal box and put on the compost heap = tidy.
    • alleycat`
    • By alleycat` 29th Nov 13, 9:40 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    alleycat`
    Considered getting one when they were 18.

I then realised i could get a cheap electric "bagged" vac for 10 from Argos in the sale and bought that instead.

It rarely gets used but when it does get used it is purely for the few odds and ends that have spilled from the ash pan when getting taken out.

Two years now and the Argos Vac is still working properly.

I wouldn't use it for hoovering up vast quantities of ash but in reality i can't see why that would ever be necessary.
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 29th Nov 13, 9:56 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    We don't really use a vacuum either, even though I have been tempted on numerous occasions to buy one. I just use our Henry to hoover up any small amounts of ash that falls down between the sides of the grate inside our stove, and just hoover the floor after cleaning it out.
    • alleycat`
    • By alleycat` 29th Nov 13, 11:28 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    alleycat`
    We don't really use a vacuum either, even though I have been tempted on numerous occasions to buy one. I just use our Henry to hoover up any small amounts of ash that falls down between the sides of the grate inside our stove, and just hoover the floor after cleaning it out.
    Originally posted by MrBrindle
    Tend to agree with what you are saying.

Only reason i got the cheapie was i'd heard / read that fine ash from stoves can seriously upset/break some of the bagless types.

I didn't want to wreck the Dyson for the sake of 10.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 30th Nov 13, 7:03 AM
    • 12,444 Posts
    • 79,059 Thanks
    kittie
    we have a small amount of fine ash daily from a pellet stove, half a handful and we clean the burner each day. It is a 3 minute job to vac the burner and the loose ash on the door ledge. We bought and use a henry specifically for the job, so much quicker and easier than any other method. 3 1/2 years old now and I wouldn`t change it
    • John_the_Boy
    • By John_the_Boy 30th Nov 13, 7:02 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    John_the_Boy
    I got one a couple of years ago and have to say I'm glad I got one.

I bought this one from Coopers of Stortford....

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-auto-ash-cleaner-prodst08833i/

A bit dearer that the Lidl one at 39 but have found it to be good value with a washable filter.

One thing to remember with these is to clean the filter regularly or the motor can overheat and blow.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 30th Nov 13, 9:07 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    LeeUK
    My chimney sweep uses a Henry vacuum to get the left over ash out. I sometimes vacuum the ash up with my normal vacuum if I'm giving the fire a good clean out. Otherwise I just scrape up the excess ash into the ash pan with a brush.
  • npjrogers
    Bought a Lidl ash vac, great job. No probs with leaks. Good fabric inner filter. Good suction. Safety indicator of any leaks and sensible sized vac tube. As of Dec 2014 the mk2 version seems to cure any of the previous critisisms. Happy 2 recommmend. Nick, Belfast
    • LostShepherd
    • By LostShepherd 14th Dec 16, 2:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LostShepherd
    Total Junk
    We got one of the parkside one's recently from Lidl I just threw it in the bin after about 6 uses, the issue is that I spent way more time cleaning the filter and unblocking the hose than I did cleaning out the ashes.

Using a brush, pan and bag is much quicker than this gimmick. If your ash has any lumps in it, BANG there is a blocked pipe and you are 10 mins clearing it, if your ash is lump free then give it two cleans and BANG you have to clean the filter, another 10 mins lost.

Total waste of money and a gimmick, avoid like the plague...
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Dec 16, 10:30 PM
    • 2,478 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I've got a wood burner and last weekend was the first time I've taken out any ash from the bed this burning season since wood burners _need_ a bed of ash to operate efficiently. I just shove it into a container and chuck it on the compost. I use a normal Henry for any ash lying around on the hearth but that's it. Don't see any need for an additional appliance for which I haven't got the space anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,241Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Being honest, do you take into account the environment impact when you choose to book a flight?

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Do you need to show your boarding pass at the airport? And how to make 'em pay you for doing it... https://t.co/g5biFxotXF

• Follow Martin