Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dp7
    Parking eye charge notice
    • 21st Nov 13, 3:58 PM
    Parking eye charge notice 21st Nov 13 at 3:58 PM
    Can anyone please advise?

I received a parking charge back in October for overstaying on a car park of 'The Range' store by less than 15 minutes (apparently there is a 2 hour limit free of charge). As a genuine customer of the store I was outraged and chose to ignore the notice which claimed the 100 charge would be reduced to 60 if I paid within 28 days.

I have now received a further charge from Parking Eye of 100 which should be paid within 14 days. I have no receipt for the store and paid cash for refreshments whilst meeting a family member - I am not in the habit of keeping receipts for weeks on end in case I get a ridiculous parking bill!!

Can somebody please advise? I am unsure if I can now appeal, unsure whether to continue ignoring or write to the store / PE direct. I cannot understand how a customer can be treated this way for a genuine short overstay whilst using the store!!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    Last edited by dp7; 21-11-2013 at 4:00 PM.
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Nov 13, 6:59 PM
    • 73,774 Posts
    • 85,986 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 21st Nov 13, 6:59 PM
    • 21st Nov 13, 6:59 PM
    Welcome to MSE, this is pretty much covered in the sticky thread 'newbies, have you got a private parking ticket? Read this now!' where I say even if you are technically too late to appeal, appeal anyway as keeper and complain to the retailer. There's another sticky thread about 'successful complaints' at the top of the forum - and you don't need receipts although the Range are shocking sometimes with their response.

Try the local Store Manager and appeal to PE online right now. Do read both sticky threads first for confidence with the complaint, & information about appealing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • dp7
    • 22nd Nov 13, 2:51 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 2:51 PM
    Thanks.

I have read through those and thought I was too late to appeal as I have to appeal to PE first of POPLA doesn't recognise the appeal? There seems to be so many pieces of advice I don't know where to start!

I will complain to the store manager and appeal to PE online as you suggest.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 22nd Nov 13, 4:00 PM
    • 23,793 Posts
    • 38,103 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 22nd Nov 13, 4:00 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 4:00 PM
    Thanks.

I have read through those and thought I was too late to appeal as I have to appeal to PE first of POPLA doesn't recognise the appeal? There seems to be so many pieces of advice I don't know where to start!

I will complain to the store manager and appeal to PE online as you suggest.
    Originally posted by dp7
    Make sure you ask PE that, if they are rejecting your appeal, they forward your POPLA verification code.

Once you've got that you'll be well on your way to getting rid of this charge. PE have lost every single POPLA appeal that has been advised/assisted by this forum and/or PePiPoo.

Make sure you get on with this; don't wait for the outcome of your complaint to The Range.

Let us know when you've received it. Don't do POPLA on your own if you're not sure where you are with it.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 22-11-2013 at 4:02 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Nov 13, 7:54 PM
    • 73,774 Posts
    • 85,986 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 22nd Nov 13, 7:54 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 7:54 PM
    Thanks.

Originally posted by dp7

Why not read it again, start at the top of my newbies thread. It's not that complicated to understand whether to appeal and how (seeing as I provide copious simple links to example appeals wording by way of a little bit of much-needed spoon-feeding for newbies).

And I don't even understand the question you typed above!
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Redx
    • By Redx 22nd Nov 13, 8:14 PM
    • 22,859 Posts
    • 29,079 Thanks
    Redx
    • 22nd Nov 13, 8:14 PM
    • 22nd Nov 13, 8:14 PM
    Why not read it again, start at the top of my newbies thread. It's not that complicated to understand whether to appeal and how (seeing as I provide copious simple links to example appeals wording by way of a little bit of much-needed spoon-feeding for newbies).

And I don't even understand the question you typed above!
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    I think that the OP seems to think they can no longer appeal to the PPC due to the time that has passed

assuming they are within the time frame for a "soft appeal" then clearly that is what they must do, then get the POPLA code for the "proper appeal" to take place (assuming the PPC dont waive the charge)

so in a nutshell

you appeal to the PPC after receiving the letter to RK (normally without naming the driver)

if this doesnt get the charge waived, you obtain a POPLA code from the PPC and appeal to popla with a more detailed appeal which should ensure that POPLA uphold your appeal and the charge is then waived

in simplistic terms, that is the process for england and wales for PPC charges

crucial dates are

the day it happened

the day the notice to keeper arrived

the time limit for the right to appeal it- so that date is important too

after that is the time limit to send in your popla appeal, so that is also an important date
    Last edited by Redx; 25-11-2013 at 8:09 AM.
  • dp7
    • 25th Nov 13, 8:06 AM
    • 25th Nov 13, 8:06 AM
    Coupon-mad - Sorry for the poor rushed wording, I am extremely busy.

Yes, I was trying to say that I thought I was too late to appeal but I have done anyway. I will let you know when I receive a response.

Thank you all for your comments.
    • Jill from Swindon
    • By Jill from Swindon 25th Nov 13, 12:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jill from Swindon
    • 25th Nov 13, 12:54 PM
    Parking Eye - are they run by robots?
    • 25th Nov 13, 12:54 PM
    My first post - I hope I'm getting it right!
    Anyway - problem: I'm embroiled with Parking Eye in a ridiculous wrangle: to cut a long story short, I didn't understand how their ticket machine worked, and put my 1 in before realising I had to enter my car registration. I couldn't find any means of retrieving my coin, but went back to the car to check the reg, and of course in the meantime someone else came to use the machine. So I wrote a note explaining that I had paid but hadn't been able to obtain a ticket. A few weeks later I received the letter saying I was being fined for not showing a valid parking ticket, with photographic evidence showing my entry and exit from the car park an hour and one minute apart. I appealed, explaining the circumstances. This was rejected - I appealed again, using a template from this website, and once again was turned down. I responded saying if the fine wasn't cancelled I would send copies of all the correspondance to the two Norwich MPs, the Eastern Daily Press - and Martin Lewis. I now have a letter threatening me with court action and associated costs. This is an utterly ridiculous state of affairs over a disputed 1 discrepancy - I have every intention of pursuing this to a sensible conclusion (i.e.getting the fine cancelled, of course) - but I'd welcome some comments please. This is a shortened version of events! One mistake I seem to have made is to continue corresponding with Parking Eye rather than POPLA- is this fatal? No human names have appeared on any of the letters I have received from them, and there is no indication that my letters have been read at all. Hence the title asking if PE is run by robots - Cybermen or Daleks I should think! Sorry this is so long.............
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Nov 13, 1:02 PM
    • 73,774 Posts
    • 85,986 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 25th Nov 13, 1:02 PM
    • 25th Nov 13, 1:02 PM
    Yes that was a close-to-fatal error, you only needed to Google it and come here sooner, and OMG we win every time at POPLA which you've missed if you actually ignored a POPLA code. PE will take you to court now unless you robustly head off their claim by responding as per the advice in the 'LBCCC fightback' thread.

Start your own thread about this if you have not already! This isn't your thread.
  • dp7
    If I have appealed to PE after alleged '28 day' period am I likely to be ignored by PE or would I still be likely to receive a rejection notice from them? I am unsure how long to leave it before chasing again?

Is it possible to obtain a POPLA verification code from PE if your appeal is late? The POPLA website seems to suggest not?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Nov 13, 5:09 PM
    • 73,774 Posts
    • 85,986 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Wait and see. Why are you assuming you were late? You had 28 days to appeal from service of the Notice to Keeper (first letter) which is assumed served 2 working days after the posted/issued date. I think you may be confusing two 28 days periods as there won't be anything on the POPLA website about how long you had to do your first (non-POPLA) appeal.
  • dp7
    I'm assuming it will be deemed 'late' as the initial charge notice is entitled 'reminder' despite being the first thing I have received and has an issue date of 11th October. I have only appealed to PE online since finding this forum and receiving another notice demanding the increased charge of 100 within 14 days.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 25th Nov 13, 6:19 PM
    • 73,774 Posts
    • 85,986 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    PE seem to have had another problem with their post recently. You are not the only one never to have received the initial NTK this Autumn, and only getting a reminder later on.

I think you should get yourself back to the Store (even though you have no receipts) and speak to the Store Manager about getting this cancelled. Be assertive and go in dressed smartly (suited & booted more than you normally would for shopping as it really WORKS when you complain). Take with you the offending letter and other Range receipts or bank statements which would show you to be a regular customer (even borrow a family member's receipt or backdated Bank Statement from the Summer/Autumn...doesn't have to be from that day, it's just to show you & family are regular Range customers who are horrified at this harassment). Even if the Store Manager won't act to cancel the charge, tell him/her that you NEVER got the first notice so this is wholly unfair and you at least require them to write an email to point out to PE that you are a genuine customer and that you never received anything except the reminder, so can they at least consider your appeal and send you a POPLA code if rejected.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 25-11-2013 at 6:24 PM.
  • dp7
    I think you're right. I've already penned a letter of complaint to the range so I think I'll hand deliver it to the store manager and make my point verbally at the same time.
  • dp7
    Current update is that I visited The Range and explained the situation in an honest and polite yet assertive manner - I spoke with the person responsible for collating the PE information who said they have the power to have the charge quashed. They took details of the charge and said they would email PE and request that the charge be revoked as they recognised that I was a regular customer and genuine customer on the day. I was told it normally takes 2 weeks for the confirmation to be sent out. Its been 11 days so far and still waiting. Meanwhile I have received the LBCCC letter from PE but also another letter saying that proceedings will be put on hold for 14 days to allow me to provide evidence of the genuine store visit (ie. receipt etc.). Hopefully the store confirmation will sort this out. I am heading back to the store tomorrow to request a copy of the email they sent to PE just in case!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Dec 13, 4:12 PM
    • 73,774 Posts
    • 85,986 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    And make sure you reply to PE as well, even if the Range say they will. Never rely on a third party who say they are sorting such a thing out, always cover yourself. If you look at the thread by lainieee re the Range Southampton, she relied on the Range to cancel her papers (which were court papers from PE). They didn't - and she got a default judgment against her which she has had to waste time getting set aside. She's planning a counter claim though in 2014 as she has grounds for damages!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 10-12-2013 at 4:14 PM.
    • Folkiedave
    • By Folkiedave 10th Dec 13, 4:18 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Folkiedave
    Assuming it is cancelled - PE's next letter will be a claim for 50.00 because they started the court claim.

The answer to this is that it was cancelled because you had proof were a regular customer. This seemed to be a "secret" term and condition of which you were unaware.

You could also refer them to Arkell v Pressdram.
  • android26
    ...but also another letter saying that proceedings will be put on hold for 14 days to allow me to provide evidence of the genuine store visit (ie. receipt etc.). Hopefully the store confirmation will sort this out.
    Originally posted by dp7
    I'm hoping this is not the ultimate result of the Range intervention, unless you've managed to find a receipt for that day, but rather from your appeal to PE. The word of the store that you are a genuine customer should be taken at face value by the parasitic scamers.
  • dp7
    I have now replied to the LBCCC stating that they should already have received a request from the store to revoke the charge and should they wish to ignore this then should forward a fully compliant LBCCC as the one received was not (it was as per the example you provide). I rejected their statement that POPLA can no longer be used at this stage and stated that if they wish to ignore the stores request then POPLA verification code should be forwarded to me.

I have visited the store again who claim that the request to revoke the charge was sent although they couldn't provide a copy as the email contained other peoples details also. They agreed to send another in reply to latest letter (which stated the 14 day hold on the charge so I could send evidence) of which they took a copy and agreed to copy me in on the email - I wait with bated breath.

I also intend to reply to the latest letter once I receive the email which I will attach. I will be back in store tomorrow if it has not arrived.
  • dp7
    I have now received written confirmation from Parking Eye that the charge has been cancelled.

Contrary to some other thread's I have read I found the store to be very helpful, limited as they are. It seems as though it was my discussions with the store's staff and managers that have provoked the charge to be dropped and would urge anyone in a similar position to really keep on at the store to help you out. Be polite but assertive.

In this instance it seems The Range are not the landowner and they have their own grievances at having to deal with PE and the very regular irate customer!!

Thank you to everyone who has offered words of advice on this thread - it is very much appreciated. Keep up the good work!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

3,475Users online

Martin's Twitter