Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • krr1
    • By krr1 13th Nov 13, 7:25 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 3Thanks
    krr1
    Parking Eye - "ticket" revoked simply by phoning !
    • 13th Nov 13, 7:25 PM
    Parking Eye - "ticket" revoked simply by phoning ! 13th Nov 13 at 7:25 PM
    I don't know if this will help anyone, but here is what happened to me.
    I went out for dinner with my boss and parked in his hotel car park. I did not see any signs advising me to pay for parking (I did actually look, as i was a little surprised I didn't need to do anything).
    I was there for just under 2 hours, and around 1 week later was horrified to receive a letter from Parking Eye, with photos of my car reg and expecting me to pay the usual 100 (or 60 for prompt payment).
    Upon browsing the advice here, I concluded that I had missed the opportunity to pay, and felt therefore it was an (un)fair cop and that I should just pay up.
    However, I decided to call the hotel and ask what i should have done, as i'm likely to visit again and didn't want to make the same mistake. Also I reasoned that following the advice here, if I had simply missed out on paying a couple of pounds to park, i could offer that in lieu of a fine.

imagine my surprise when the hotel simply said, "Oh yes, we never charge. You should have registered with reception. Give me the reference number and your registration and we will get it cancelled."

Seems to me that Parking eye are just profiteering here ! I was minutes away from paying up.
Page 1
    • Stroma
    • By Stroma 13th Nov 13, 7:51 PM
    • 7,917 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    Stroma
    • 13th Nov 13, 7:51 PM
    • 13th Nov 13, 7:51 PM
    That's it exactly , profiteering and issuing fake tickets that is all about making money, and nothing about management of the car park. So well done on achieving the Coupon Mad hall of fame and for following advice in getting this cancelled
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Nov 13, 10:41 PM
    • 25,180 Posts
    • 40,637 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Nov 13, 10:41 PM
    • 13th Nov 13, 10:41 PM
    From reading the thread title I took it to mean you'd made a phone call to ParkingEye and they agreed to cancel the charge.

I just went to check the calendar to make sure that today wasn't 1st April .

We'll done anyway
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case papers, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Nov 13, 10:46 PM
    • 76,795 Posts
    • 90,164 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Nov 13, 10:46 PM
    • 13th Nov 13, 10:46 PM
    Upon browsing the advice here, I concluded that I had missed the opportunity to pay, and felt therefore it was an (un)fair cop and that I should just pay up.
    Really? Despite the fact we never ever tell people to pay up, and we have this sticky thread on the go permanently at the top of the forum - that your case now features in (well done!). Your case joins all the others who have done the same, in hotels and all:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4766249

However, I decided to call the hotel and ask what i should have done, as i'm likely to visit again and didn't want to make the same mistake. Also I reasoned that following the advice here, if I had simply missed out on paying a couple of pounds to park, i could offer that in lieu of a fine. imagine my surprise when the hotel simply said, "Oh yes, we never charge. You should have registered with reception. Give me the reference number and your registration and we will get it cancelled."
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Traindriver4
    • 14th Nov 13, 8:22 AM
    • 14th Nov 13, 8:22 AM
    You will still need written confirmation from PE that the ticket has been cancelled.
  • Hovite
    • 14th Nov 13, 8:30 AM
    • 14th Nov 13, 8:30 AM
    You might want to read the advice on here more carefully in the future as it says nothing of the sort.

Well done anyway !
    • krr1
    • By krr1 14th Nov 13, 3:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    krr1
    • 14th Nov 13, 3:06 PM
    clearly I was naive !
    • 14th Nov 13, 3:06 PM
    Sorry i did read many posts, but didn't conclude that this was as barefaced as it clearly is.
    What are these major companies getting out of this scam ? Do they get paid by Parking Eye ? Do Parking Eye provide any kind of service to them ?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Nov 13, 3:11 PM
    • 76,795 Posts
    • 90,164 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Nov 13, 3:11 PM
    • 14th Nov 13, 3:11 PM
    They don't get paid by Parking Eye (in fact I think the landowners actually pay Parking Eye's VAT or something!), the hotels & retailers are often victims too, especially if a landowner signed a 'parking management contract' but the onsite retailers and businesses get the flak and lose custom.

Parking Eye have sold them what they have believed is a 'parking management system' which is free - so the landowners, or Head Offices of hotels and retailers grab the idea. Think of some suited 'Apprentice' wannabe doing a presentation and being really convincing even though the product is rubbish!

And then the retailers are stuck into a contract for YEARS. Somerfield, when they dumped Parking Eye for being aggressive to customers, were sued by them for lost income. Other retailers are wary to dump PE now.

PPCs are a parasite on the backs of real business and it's the public that lose out as well as the retailers getting a bad reputation...e.g. currently Aldi's facebook page has been receiving complaints constantly for 5 months, since June, every day, about Parking Eye but Aldi seem powerless. Could be wrong but I suspect they hate it but are stuck in a contract.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 14-11-2013 at 3:14 PM.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • 4consumerrights
    • By 4consumerrights 14th Nov 13, 4:01 PM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 2,842 Thanks
    4consumerrights
    • 14th Nov 13, 4:01 PM
    • 14th Nov 13, 4:01 PM
    There are other tax concessions that the landowners can also claim:

For instance relinquishing their car park can enable a reduction in business rates collected by local councils. It is then up to the council to chase the parking companies for this portion and the rating system is very complex as set out by the VOA depending upon size of car parks, number of parking spaces and revenue generated.

There are a number of variations of contracts between the landowner and parking companies - some will offer sub-leasing terms, some pay rent, others offer their services totally free of charge. A large proportion of parking companies often offer the landowners an incentive to use their services by offering a percentage cash rebate on the profits from parking charges collected. (As per brochures I've requested).
  • SadieJ
    Please check by going to the online payment section on ParkingEye website that they have cancelled this. I was told by a Store that they had cancelled my charge however a week later ParkingEye had not cancelled it and in fact had inflated the charge. I had to revisit the Store again before it was cancelled.
    • esmerobbo
    • By esmerobbo 15th Nov 13, 5:43 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 6,223 Thanks
    esmerobbo
    Do Parking Eye provide any kind of service to them ?
    Originally posted by krr1
    Apart from pi55ing their customers off not a lot no!
  • JohnColm
    Parking Eye
    I'm in the process of trying to get a ticket cancelled via Parking Eye, what a palaver. I was doing voluntary work for the National Deaf Children's Society in a hotel in Ayr.

First I knew about it was a letter from Debt Recovery Plus, referring to previous correspondence from Parking Eye. We'd never received anything from Parking Eye.

Question on these fines; is it illegal to cover up your number plates in a car park? That's how they 'catch' you, but if they can't read your plates...
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Nov 13, 11:27 AM
    • 76,795 Posts
    • 90,164 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You are in Scotland so the advice is different, you should have ignored this completely. Just search the forum for the keyword 'Scotland' and read results till you get bored of the IGNORE word, or read the sticky thread at the top 'newbies...have you got a private parking ticket? read this now!'. That sticky thread also shows you that you have a choice of sending (as keeper not driver!!) a robust get lost response to a debt collector which I think you should do since the keeper IS NOT LIABLE IN SCOTLAND.

Don't tell me you've given the game away about who the driver was though...please no reply here as this is another person's thread.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 15-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

2,218Users online

Martin's Twitter