Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • kingmonkey
    • By kingmonkey 19th Jun 07, 9:33 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    kingmonkey
    • 19th Jun 07, 9:33 PM
    • 19th Jun 07, 9:33 PM
    No why should he? If thats the price thats the price.
  • DavidHM
    • 19th Jun 07, 10:12 PM
    • 19th Jun 07, 10:12 PM
    No conflict for me here.

If he buys some full price food then that's some food that made it off the shelf before hitting the bargain bin, reducing the supply of bargain food in just the same way as if he'd bought it cheaply.
    Debt at highest: September 2003 - 26,350
    Debt now: 14,100 :rolleyes:
    Debt free day: October 2008
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 19th Jun 07, 10:56 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    • 19th Jun 07, 10:56 PM
    • 19th Jun 07, 10:56 PM
    No conflict for me here.

If he buys some full price food then that's some food that made it off the shelf before hitting the bargain bin, reducing the supply of bargain food in just the same way as if he'd bought it cheaply.
    Originally posted by DavidHM
    This is a brilliant observation and I agree completely
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
  • bandraoi
    • 19th Jun 07, 11:01 PM
    • 19th Jun 07, 11:01 PM
    You can't take it with you. He should buy the food he wants to eat regardless of the price.
  • miffys_mummy
    • 19th Jun 07, 11:57 PM
    • 19th Jun 07, 11:57 PM
    This is a brilliant observation and I agree completely
    Originally posted by Mics_chick
    yes I agree too but would not feel able to take all the goodies out of the bargain section if someone else was after them at the same time unless I was really in need and was going to use that food F.x
  • emmajon
    • 20th Jun 07, 1:03 AM
    • 20th Jun 07, 1:03 AM
    I agree, I think that if you can seriously afford not to worry about your shopping bill money for the rest of your life then for goodness sake buy good quality stuff at normal prices. I only really buy reduced food if I'm struggling financially because if I'm managing then I've already taken into account how much I need to spend and would always base that on paying full price as you don't know till you get there what has been reduced. I just know there have been occasions when that reduced section has been my only affordable food options, whatever was in there I had to choose from because that was the only way we could eat. I just consider food such a nice pleasure, if I could afford the good stuff then I would get it.
    Last edited by emmajon; 20-06-2007 at 1:09 AM. Reason: pressed enter too quick
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 20th Jun 07, 7:06 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 20th Jun 07, 7:06 AM
    • 20th Jun 07, 7:06 AM
    Go for the bargains!!! Im sure there are loads of rich people that do!!
  • Queenie
    • 20th Jun 07, 7:24 AM
    • 20th Jun 07, 7:24 AM
    Buy what he wants - the whole point of stickered items isn't aimed at consumers with low incomes per se, it's a way of getting rid of food before the final rubbish bin!

Mind you, whether you'd *want* to target stickered reduced goods when you are a billionaire is another matter! :confused:

I remember my Mum saying that wealthy people often became wealthy *because* they watched their pennies
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • reecebot
    If you quit the bargain bin because supplies aren't endless then what next? Every other offer that says <<while stocks last>>?

"A fool and his money are soon parted" - I bet this goes for billionaires too.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 20th Jun 07, 7:34 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Why on earth should he not buy bargain food ? Rich people stay rich by not wasting money and actually his financial status is not anybody else's business.
  • Sand Man
    First Come First Served

Regardless of wheather you are super rich or not, if you see it first and want its yours
    • starkj
    • By starkj 20th Jun 07, 8:42 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    starkj
    Leave it out
    See the right wing compassion coming out here. The Me first society.

So if Lord Sainsbury elbowed you out the way to get to the bargains you think that would be ok? Fair competition isn't?
  • liz.kingdom
    Yes, there's no reason for him not to buy the bargain basket food - it's not means tested. However perhaps he should consider giving time and/or money to support charities which work with those struggling to manage
  • Steel
    I agree.....
    The food is discounted for everyone. There's no sticker that says "discounted for the hard up only. Rich people sod off to the more expensive stuff on the shelf." If it's a food he buys because he enjoys it and lo and behold it's on offer, he entitled to buy the one on offer.

Moneysaving principles don't just apply when you're are skint. They're equally as important when you're not. Otherwise you won't stay in the money for very long and be back where you started.

I say rock on Aristotle and well done for not succumbing to the temptations of blowing your cash just 'cos you've got it. Now go spend what you've saved on helping others and give some of it to charity.
    "carpe that diem"
  • cazrobinson
    if i was rich i would buy top quality items, but still cook for myself and my family. often the yellow labeled foods are high in salt, fat and processing, or meat/fish that is meeting it's sell-by (going-off) date.

it is only a bargin if you need it!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • ohit
    • By ohit 20th Jun 07, 9:14 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ohit
    Revenue - Costs = Profit.
    Just because he has the money, doesn't mean he should just go out and spend it. Reduce his costs and he'll have more left over for other things to secure his future or future of family/kids etc.
    • anntics
    • By anntics 20th Jun 07, 9:15 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    anntics
    See the right wing compassion coming out here. The Me first society.

So if Lord Sainsbury elbowed you out the way to get to the bargains you think that would be ok? Fair competition isn't?
    Originally posted by starkj
    If he did it to me I would get out me moby, snap him rooting in the bargain bin, sell the pics and hopefully never have to shop in the reduced section again.
    Cheers

Ann
    • ROBDOLPHIN66
    • By ROBDOLPHIN66 20th Jun 07, 10:33 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 42,348 Thanks
    ROBDOLPHIN66
    He is a billionaire. He does not need to watch the s let alone the pennies.
    I doubt that he would even go to the supermarket! If his family are / were billionaires I would not be surprised if he had never been to a supermarket let alons the reduced section of one.
    Items that are reduced might be fine for human consumption but they are not as fresh as longer dated versions of the same product. If I had the choice and money was no object (which it would not be to him), I know which I would buy.
  • dumpty
    Supermarkets do not restrict the sale of reduced items to "poor and needy people only" - EVERYONE has the right to buy it. However, I would only buy items that I intended to use reasonably soon - I wouldn't buy more than I wanted just because it was reduced! I think the key word is "moderation".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

932Posts Today

6,240Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin