Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,587Posts
    • 37,028Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 201
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Aug 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Just when I thought I was on top of things I find a block of puff pastry buried at the back of the fridge, forgot I’d bought it and BB 31/07 so I made some sausage rolls, 2 small frangipane tarts, one with nectarines the other apricots, suffice to say yesterday’s meals were not the most balanced or healthiest.

Out – pork sausages, block of puff pastry,

In – 3 small sausage rolls,

Used up – 2 nectarines, 4 apricots, ground almonds,
    Keep Moving = 554.00mls/1000mls @ week 26

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 4/14
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 26,231 Thanks
    caronc
    Since Friday:
    In: portion courgette, rice & feta filo pie, tattie scones

Out: bbq ribs, rump steak, peppercorn sauce
    Used up: green beans, an over ripe tomato
    GC - May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £69/£140
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • t1redmonkey
    • By t1redmonkey 13th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    t1redmonkey
    I haven't posted in this thread at all yet, but I have been applying this philosophy to the way I eat, and have so far only spent £12 in total on food in August (which is entirely on lunchtime sandwiches) and I reckon I'm still good for another few weeks at least

Amazing how many meals we can get out of food we already have in the freezer and cupboards once we take stock!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 26,231 Thanks
    caronc
    Hi t1redmonkey- it's scary how much builds up in stores. I suspect I could last several months.

In: nothing
    Out: cupasoup, Greek pitta
    Used up: slightly wrinkly red pepper
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 14th Aug 18, 6:54 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    mrssd
    We all seem to be winning this battle, folks. I don't know about others, but I get a huge sense of achievement when I see how little I am spending now and how much room I now have in my she-shed: I could fit another freezer in (joking!).

Grandkids gone back home armed up with enough tablet to keep them hyper for months. So, that got rid of two tins of condensed milk and a load of sugar from the store. I have told them to dish it out amongst friends. The freezer and store have taken good knocks whilst they were here So have the loo rolls.

I got loads of sorrel from Joe's allotment before he went on holiday and onions, so have made some lentil and sorrel soup for the freezer and chopped and frozen the rest of the sorrel.

OUT: loads!
    IN: Two top quality stuffed turkey breasts. Too good to miss flash sale, so that's Christmas sorted!
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 14th Aug 18, 7:01 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    mrssd
    I read that as being BB 2007. I did wonder what 11 year old pastry from the fridge would taste like... It's early and it took me a few minutes for my brain to catch up with the rest of me, which is slow at the best of times I often do that: I buy blocks of the all butter pastry when it is on special, shove it in the fridge and forget all about it until it is too late. Well done on rescuing yours in time.
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 14th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 13,685 Thanks
    Maisie M
    morning all

Dh has been plodding through his soups so starting to see some space in the freezer.

IN - my normal weekly shop, 3/4 jar of pizza topping from making pizza on saturday

UU - left over roast beef from sunday's dinner for lunch and the cheese left over from making pizzas on saturday was used for the top of the lasagne

Out - 3 x soups from freezer, 2 x bolognaise from freezer as made a lasagne

• Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    Stoke
    After attempting this earlier this year around Christmas.... I am now 100% focused on actually emptying my cupboards of almost everything. I essentially want to start again. I may even re-organise my kitchen when I do. It does mean I am eating some food I probably wouldn't usually when taking my slimming world seriously but it's all about a balanced diet and counting those syns
    • dannie
    • By dannie 14th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    dannie
    Sorry, not been around as much as things have kept getting in the way. Also, with no clear aim for this challenge this month, it has affected my motivation somewhat? However, notable was coming home yesterday with a lot of free plums picked from a nearby tree and the current freezer drawer space is 2 from 4 only being used. Need to collect more garden edibles and free blackberries soon.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 26,231 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: pork fillet, pitta, french beans, tea bags

Used up: yoghurt dip, peppercorn sauce
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • dannie
    • By dannie 15th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    dannie
    Went out this a.m. for free blackberries and came back with a fairly heavy carrier bag of them. Still a lot more available to pick. Left the (mentioned) gardening task for another day.

Started to sort out all my "old" herbs and spices. Sorted some fenugreek seeds and am trying to sprout them. Also, have to decide what to order for my online (food) delivery tomorrow.
    Last edited by dannie; Yesterday at 2:37 PM.
    • littlesimplelivingcottage
    • By littlesimplelivingcottage 15th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    littlesimplelivingcottage
    Hello all, I've just started reading this thread to get ideas as I am wanting to go through my cupboards to make them more manageable but unsure on exactly how I should go about it! Do you make a physical list or is there some sort of computer thingy I can use to make it easier???? Should I just start with one cupboard and then go around the kitchen??
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Aug 18, 7:45 PM
    • 4,217 Posts
    • 26,231 Thanks
    caronc
    Hello all, I've just started reading this thread to get ideas as I am wanting to go through my cupboards to make them more manageable but unsure on exactly how I should go about it! Do you make a physical list or is there some sort of computer thingy I can use to make it easier???? Should I just start with one cupboard and then go around the kitchen??
    Originally posted by littlesimplelivingcottage
    Welcome to the thread.
    I use physical lists pinned on the freezers and inside the computer. They are easy then to update as things go/in or it. I type them so keep a copy so updating them when they get messy is easy. It works for me but I'm sure others will have different approaches.

Out: parmesan, rolls, tuna, brambles, 1/2 pack stuffed pasta

Used up: hallomi skewer, turned roasted toms into tomato sauce
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin