Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,597Posts
    • 37,034Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 200
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 7th Aug 18, 6:56 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    Those with an excess of courgettes/garden veg might like this recipe.
    Allotment Slice (serves 4)
    Originally posted by caronc
    What a great recipe, caronc - and one I haven't come across before. I have leftover ham from yesterday and everything else to make this and will do so later today/tonight for lunch tomorrow with the gannets grandkids. I'll also make a small one for Joe. Thanks.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 7th Aug 18, 7:29 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    I've got a bit lost in this thread, so apologies to anyone I've missed.
    Eric: It's fine to use stuff with freezer burn. I often get it because of either not freezing quickly enough (i.e. using fast freeze), or inadequate wrapping: both of which I am prone to doing. You know: Open freezer and bung it in!

OUT FROM FREEZER: a bargain ham there since Christmas. Used most last night in a salad and sliced a load for Joe. Rest to be used in the allotment loaf recipe from caronc.
    1 kg steak mince. 500 gms pork mince. 500 gms rose veal (to be minced) 1 kg sofritto. 1 punnet chicken livers.

FROM STORAGE: 2 jars passata; 2 tins tomatoes. 2 tins kidney beans.
    Used up a some of Joe's tomatoes and most of the rest will be used in bulk-cook ragu and chili for the freezer today. It will also use up some peppers and a plethora of other veg I have "accumulated". No doubt, the grandkids (here from tomorrow for the best part of a week) will make short work of it and everything else, no doubt! (Note to self: make lots of cookies and flapjack).
    1kg chicken breasts - some kept and sliced for sandwiches for OH and workmate: the scheme is going well!. Rest turned into casseroles and katsu without the panko coating, refrozen (once cooked) into small portions. So, also used up loads of herbs, spices etc.
    1 tin tuna; 1 tin corned beef (for sandwiches later in the week).
    Cooked a kilo bag of brown rice and refroze into portions. I was given a rice cooker some years back and never used it, so thought it was about time I did. I've never thought of cooking and freezing rice before, but it works (apparently). We'll see.

Hope today is cooler than yesterday, as it gets rather hot in the kitchen.
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 7th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 13,686 Thanks
    Maisie M
    hi all

used up: last of the crunchy peanut butter. So glad this has gone as I normally buy the smooth stuff as the nuts get stuck into my teeth. Also used up a half can of soup, half a can of beans yesterday for the boys lunches. Today I had leftover Spanish chicken from last nights dinner as I was going to pop it in the freezer then decided to have it for lunch today instead.

Out: DH has taken out two more of his soups yesterday and today which is great as he went on a bit of a mammoth soup making session before the hot weather started and as a result they have been in the freezer for ages. Now its a bit cooler here he has started taking them again.

• caronc
    • By caronc 7th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,311 Thanks
    caronc
    Hope your allotment slice worked well mrssd, I love old WRI recipes like this for using stuff up.

In: savoury mince
    Out: cooked rice, chicken & chorizo casserole, salmon portion, cupasoup

Used up: pate, mushrooms, 1/2 red pepper, spring onions, smoked pistachio nuts
    GC - May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £69/£140
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 8th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    caronc: Your allotment loaf looks great and I can't wait to try some. It should keep the grandkids happy - especially if they "help" me knock up some cheese scone to go with it. I've made a couple of small ones for Joe and will take them today, along with some chili, which he likes. He's letting me have some potatoes and (broad?) beans today - and beetroot and broccoli toomorrow. The grandkids can help themselves to what is left of his blackcurrants, so I hope they behave! The woman on the allotment next to Joe's is childminding this summer holidays and has her grandkids with her, so she says mine can come over and play with her two who are making nettle and sheep-poo fertiliser today! Sounds messy.

Maisie M: I've a lot of soups that needs using, also. Hope the grandkids will eat it this week.

IN: It was horrendously hot again yesterday, but I plodded on with my batch-cook and put a load of chili and ragu sauces into the freezer. Of course, to avoid my usual mishaps of "What the heck is that?" I have properly labelled everything.
    OUT: sausages for tonight; tinned beans; courgette fritters made the other week (let's keep it simple!) Bread and tuna for sandwiches to eat at allotments. Parkin. Bit of cooked chicken bits for the mutt.

Have a good day all.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 8th Aug 18, 8:05 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Out: Loads of blackberries (today is jam making day), chicken breast, slices of pastrami
    In: 4 packs of RTC mini corn tortillas
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 12/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 8/11 Aug £1 a day £58.09/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4276.80 0% 18mnths
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 8th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    beardiedog
    Sorry if this subject has been covered previously. It's my first time on this thread and didn't fancy trawling through almost 4K posts

I have unopened and partly opened packs of sausages, pies, oven chips etc in the freezer which are well past their SBD. For instance, the sausages are dated October 2017.

Is it safe to use these or should I chuck them out?
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,311 Thanks
    caronc
    beardiedog - Oct 17 is recent in terms of the stuff in my freezers. Assuming you don't just have an ice compartmant in a fridge but a proper freezer or fridge freezer everything should be absolutely fine. Even if not well wrapped the worst that can happen is they get a bit freezer burned. Still perfectly edible & safe to eat.

Today
    In: nothing
    Out: cupasoup
    Used up: allotment slice, 1/2 cucumber, bread
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 8th Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 13,686 Thanks
    Maisie M
    In - nothing

out - some frozen blueberries (to make muffins), frozen Rhubarb to make muffins

Have used up some more baking ingredients and also started on the glut of frozen fruits in my freezer.

• dannie
    • By dannie 9th Aug 18, 5:31 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    dannie
    Not a lot has happened since my last post. Usual online food grocery order and local shopping has meant "not many" (food) purchases this month so far. Food acquired has tended to be free e.g. blackberries, plums and garden salad bits.

One freezer drawer is nearly full of free stuff. Presently, the fridge is less cluttered and the store cupboards moderately "stocked".
    Last edited by dannie; 09-08-2018 at 5:36 AM.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 9th Aug 18, 5:45 AM
    • 644 Posts
    • 3,671 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Nothing in or out of the freezer, but I used up some veg which needed using up, and I've nearly got through the brown rice which OH hates - only one more meal's worth left I reckon now
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 12/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 8/11 Aug £1 a day £58.09/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4276.80 0% 18mnths
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 9th Aug 18, 6:51 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    Welcome, beardiedog. I was recently given a good tip for checking if some stuff is ok to eat. Things like sausages, bacon and processed meats nearly always contain nitrites/nitrates to help their keeping properties: they are preservatives. If, when defrosted, these items smell a bit "fishy" then the preservatives have - somehow - changed. They would still be safe to eat as long as they were frozen correctly in the first place, but might taste a bit odd.

I had a tendency to just toss stuff into the freezer without proper packaging and overwrapping and had this happen a few times. I had always assumed the reason was because said items had come into close proximity to something like fish fingers! Thanks to this thread, I have learnt my lesson.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 9th Aug 18, 7:23 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    I took the grandkids to the allotments yesterday where they had great fun making the nettle and sheep poo fertilliser. Unfortunately, the dog "helped" and needed hosing down before getting back indoors. So did the grandkids, but I thought it better to strip them off in the hall and then put them in the bath. The allotment loaf went with us to the allotments and was really enjoyed by all at lunchtime. Joe picked some tomatoes to go with it and the lady (name forgotten already!) from the next allotment provided the rest of the makings of a salad. Very nice it was, too.

I didn't have time to make anything last night, apart from tea, but have taken out some wraps from the freezer and a cottage pie for Joe. The grandkids want spagbol tonight, so took out a portion of the batch that has just gone in! The wraps can be used with 2 tins of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn from store to make a load for the allotments today.

I've solved the problem of transporting stuff to Joe in the hot weather. OH picked up one of those plug-in coolboxes from a workmate - the type that plugs in to a 12v socket in the car. It can also be switched to mains and is really good, as frozen stuff stays frozen for a long time. He is also getting into this thrifty and bartering business, as he swapped it for our petrol lawnmower for which we no longer have a use since we moved to a smaller property and the garden is much smaller with virtually no lawn. Oh hates gardening and has put down some artificial lawn. He hoses the "grass" down now We kept a strip of the real stuff for the dog, as he likes to dig holes and do his businesses on the Real McCoy.

OUT: (besides the ragu); assorted fish to make fish pies later. Peas. Apple crumble (I think it's apple: no label). Cottage pie for Joe.
    IN: broad beans. None of us like them as a veg, but they make good soup!
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 9th Aug 18, 8:55 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    beardiedog
    beardiedog - Oct 17 is recent in terms of the stuff in my freezers. Assuming you don't just have an ice compartmant in a fridge but a proper freezer or fridge freezer everything should be absolutely fine. Even if not well wrapped the worst that can happen is they get a bit freezer burned. Still perfectly edible & safe to eat.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks. Proper freezer. I'll give the snags and chips a try tonight
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 9th Aug 18, 9:01 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    beardiedog
    Welcome, beardiedog. I was recently given a good tip for checking if some stuff is ok to eat. Things like sausages, bacon and processed meats nearly always contain nitrites/nitrates to help their keeping properties: they are preservatives. If, when defrosted, these items smell a bit "fishy" then the preservatives have - somehow - changed. They would still be safe to eat as long as they were frozen correctly in the first place, but might taste a bit odd.

I had a tendency to just toss stuff into the freezer without proper packaging and overwrapping and had this happen a few times. I had always assumed the reason was because said items had come into close proximity to something like fish fingers! Thanks to this thread, I have learnt my lesson.
    Originally posted by mrssd
    Thanks for the tip. Everything is prepacked so should be OK. I can only try them. If they smell a bit iffy though they're going in the bin.

I haven't tried cooking and freezing my own stuff yet, maybe when I retire
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 9th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 9,362 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I'm starting to get a bit of wriggle room in the freezer now and most of the stuff that's going in will only be there short term, so I think I'm still on track to defrost by end of September

Almost a week since my last post but if my memory serves me well this is how its gone.

In - 2 flatbreads, braised lamb steak, griddled aubergine slices, a small sliced loaf.

Out - sumac chicken, stewed liver, 4 bread rolls, tomato risotto, jar of salmon paste, small tin sweetcorn

Used up - swede.
    Last edited by Need2bthrifty; 09-08-2018 at 3:44 PM.
    Keep Moving = 554.00mls/1000mls @ week 26

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 4/14
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Aug 18, 9:12 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 26,311 Thanks
    caronc
    In: cupasoup
    Out: teabags, tin of tuna, IKEA meatballs, root veg mash
    Used up: nothing
    GC YTD 2018- £998/£1230
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 10th Aug 18, 7:14 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    We had some heavy rain yesterday evening: much needed!
    Fish pie (made yesterday) for tea tonight and one to Joe So, some runners out to go with it. Joe is away from tomorrow for a week's holiday to his sister-in-law in Mablethorpe, so his allotment neighbour will keep an eye on his patch. The grandkids go home tomorrow morning, also. My life is going to be so quiet! Still, I think the mutt will be glad of a bit of peace.

The grandkids managed to clear up a lot of the store of food and had a bit of fun playing shops sorting it all out from the kitchen cupboards Amazing how much I managed to fit in. At least it is all in date - well - nearly all. I think the highlight of their sorting was finding a 3-pack of Jaffa cakes, which they have mostly devoured.

OUT: From freezer runners, last of the ice cream and some strawberry couli.
    From store - tin of corned beef for wraps today.
    IN: Joe's beetroot (cooked and chopped); pizza; broad beans.
    Also got a load of potatoes from Joe, so must remember to use them all. He's got his onions up and they are drying in his shed, so have been promised some on his return. Nice!

I haven't kept a record of how much money I've saved, but my on-line shop is minimal now consisting of weekly basics. I struggled this week to make the minimum spend for delivery, but by the time I stocked up on dog food and laundry products (both on special) I had spent a fair bit I think I am going to go back to shopping as I need things, with the exception of specials that I REALLY need and have a high turnover (like dog food and laundry stuff!) and perhaps bread to freeze. It seems to make sense, providing I am disciplined enough

I don't know about where you are, but the temperature here has dropped 20 degrees from what it was at this time of day at the beginning of the week and I might have to put my vest back on. Have a good day, all.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 10th Aug 18, 7:21 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mrssd
    [QUOTE=Need2bthrifty;74638097...
    In - griddled aubergine slices, ...[/QUOTE]
    I didn't know aubergine slices could be frozen. What do you do when you take them out to reheat? I assume spread on a baking tray and bake? Aubergines are my favourite veg and I often stuff them Turkish-style, but never thought of freezing (I assumed they wouldn't and go mushy). Advice appreciated, please. Thanks.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 10th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 9,362 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I didn't know aubergine slices could be frozen. What do you do when you take them out to reheat? I assume spread on a baking tray and bake? Aubergines are my favourite veg and I often stuff them Turkish-style, but never thought of freezing (I assumed they wouldn't and go mushy). Advice appreciated, please. Thanks.
    Originally posted by mrssd
    Hi Mrsd

Because Iím cooking for one I tend to griddle the whole aubergine and then open freeze the slices, just taking out however many I need for my individual moussaka or melanzane parmigiana. The only other way Iíve frozen it was in ratatouille.

I havenít tried stuffing them as it would be too much for me to eat in one sitting and like you I doubt it would reheat well.
    Keep Moving = 554.00mls/1000mls @ week 26

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 4/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin