Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,653Posts
    • 37,084Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 195
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 12th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    I've decided that the venison would be better eaten on a cold autumn day, rather than in the heat we are having at the moment, but I'll still put the lot into the slow cooker and then freeze it - properly labelled, of course - for later in the year. I'm going to do that with a lot of the meat in the freezer; cook and refreeze into suitable size portions. As I am eating less meat these days and becoming more of a natural veggie, it makes sense, but I will never get OH to that stage: he thinks Quorn is a place not far from us where they still hold a hunt! I tried him on it a couple of times (quorn: not hunting) and he would not eat it, even although I didn't tell him what it was. He's having a pizza tonight with a salad (got to use some salad stuff up rather than bin).

OUT OF FREEZER: rest of the venison to cook and refreeze. Pizza dough. Joe's fish pie. Bread. Bag of fruit salad. Large bag of coffee beans.
    FROM STORE: passatta for pizza and rest in venison. Tin of corned beef for OH and Co's sarnies. Jar of pickle.

Have a good day, everyone. I'm going to tackle my ironing this afternoon, as I haven't done any since Christmas for over a week, apart from essentials. I've decided I iron too much and from now on, tea towels and sheets will no longer be done and I am wondering if I can get away with leaving OH's copious amount of t-shirts. I hate ironing.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 12th Jul 18, 7:20 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    [QUOTE=maisymoo5;74515283]What a generous idea mrsd. I think 'Joe' will be absolutely thrilled.

It's quid-pro-quo, maisymoo. He is helping me enormously - as are all of you on this forum. Since retiring, I was sinking into depression at home, hence the excessive shopping. Getting the mutt has meant I meet more people whilst walking him as I can't walk him on-line. When you have a dog people stop and talk and I have met so many new people. I realise that - like me - they may go the whole day without speaking to anyone, so I always make a point of at least saying "hello". I think "Joe" will become a good friend and already I am learning from him to be happy with my lot. Very humbling.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 12th Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    The mutt is busy demolishing a carrot on the kitchen floor, so I can stop on here a bit longer before walking him.

Somebody above said a big spend was on beer for OH. Just a suggestion, but why not get him brewing his own? You could buy him equipment for his "new hobby" for birthdays, Christmas etc. Same for anybody who likes a glass if wine. It is really easy to make your own, especially if you grow your own fruit and veg and, of course, have the time or inclination. I don't drink, but used to make wine (when we had a big garden and grew lots of fruit and veg) and was amazed at how easy it was. Just a suggestion, but don't want to be responsible for anyone turning into a raging alcoholic!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 12th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    [QUOTE=mrssd;74518567]
    What a generous idea mrsd. I think 'Joe' will be absolutely thrilled.

It's quid-pro-quo, maisymoo. He is helping me enormously - as are all of you on this forum. Since retiring, I was sinking into depression at home, hence the excessive shopping. Getting the mutt has meant I meet more people whilst walking him as I can't walk him on-line. When you have a dog people stop and talk and I have met so many new people. I realise that - like me - they may go the whole day without speaking to anyone, so I always make a point of at least saying "hello". I think "Joe" will become a good friend and already I am learning from him to be happy with my lot. Very humbling.
    Originally posted by maisymoo5
    I've suffered from depression, and I find that although dogs are a tie, I wouldn't be without one for getting out and talking to people, and just for making me walk when I probably wouldn't otherwise - I love it when I'm out there and you feel more in touch with seasons etc, but I've got a car and don't work within walking distance, the town centre and my family aren't within walking distance, so I wouldn't be out there appreciating it without my boys . There's a really good dog walking community around here, and we all get together for a big Christmas meal, which is lovely

A neutral day in terms of the freezer yesterday

Out: Nothing
    In: Nothing
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    6/13
    1 a day: Aug 60.88/31
    Sept 29.63/30
    Tesco CC 10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC 4321.80 4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 26,983 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday:
    In: Lo chicken fajita mix
    Out: lamb steaks, parmesan

Used up: bacon, basil, walnuts
    GC - Jun 206/230, Jul 211/150, Aug 105/140, Sep 152/160
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 13th Jul 18, 6:40 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Yes - getting the mutt has made a huge difference. All good!
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 13th Jul 18, 6:57 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Lots of eggs to use, so omelettes tonight: I'll stick some mushrooms in them. Use up rest of fruit salad for pud
    FROM FREEZER: chips and peas (to go with above).
    IN FREEZER: venison casserole. Loads of Cavalo Nero and spinach from Joe
    OUT STORE: chicken thighs to cook for mutt.
    FOR JOE: made a couple of calzone from rest of pizza dough, as he said he likes pizzas as long as they are not too big and the "bread bit" not too hard. Established he's got a m/w, so popping them into it should result in a soft crust.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Jul 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 33,086 Thanks
    maddiemay
    My usual trip to the market today, so stores will gain FR eggs and lovely Baker's bread.

Neutral day for freezer for me too, need to do a new food plan.

mrssd it is lovely that you and JOE have met, sounds like a lovely mutually beneficial relationship/budding friendship. So pleased that you have a mutt in your life too, we are coming to the age (or perhaps already there) that when miss furry MM passes on we may well be too old to have another one live with us and that is an awful thought.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jul 18, 10:00 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 26,983 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday
    In: nothing
    Out: turkey steaks, orzo
    Used up: cucumber, tomatoes, mushrooms
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • dannie
    • By dannie 13th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    dannie
    From the 10th July - end of 16th July, I am using up "food stocks" to hopefully assist another challenge that I am doing (health-related). Foods being used are mainly what I have plentiful amounts of ("gluts").

Food coming in =

- (garden) black currants

- two "yellow-stickers" yesterday (bike transport available now). These were dates 800gr 1 (long dated) and two food flavours.

- online grocery delivery (much the same as last week regarding items not being available, so were just topping up of products regularly used (e.g. UHT milk).
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 13th Jul 18, 1:09 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    In

nothing

Out
    4 wholemeal rolls
    packet of ham
    pork mince
    wholemeal wraps
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 13th Jul 18, 10:03 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd

mrssd it is lovely that you and JOE have met, sounds like a lovely mutually beneficial relationship/budding friendship. So pleased that you have a mutt in your life too, we are coming to the age (or perhaps already there) that when miss furry MM passes on we may well be too old to have another one live with us and that is an awful thought.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Thanks, maddiemay. It is obvious that Joe misses his wife enormously. He showed me a photo of her today taken when she was quite young and she was very pretty. They never had any family, so his pain is even greater, I imagine. He has also taken to the mutt, even though he did dig a great big hole amongst his lettuces!

We thought we were too old for another dog, also, but adopted a slightly older one from the Dogs' Trust and they were great in ensuring that the dog matched us and our capabilities. He's been hard work (still is!) but he follows me around all day and then follows OH around when he gets in from work.

You can be foster parents to a dog from Dogs' Trust if you do not want to commit to a permanent addition (although many do become permanent) and there is also a scheme whereby you can leave specific instructions re any pets you may leave behind if anything happens to you: includes things like going into a nursing home etc., as well as the obvious one.

I know it sounds daft, but we both love the little fella - even if he does wake us in the middle of the night by wanting on the bed, out for a pee, or just wants to play: It's like having a toddler in the house!
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 13th Jul 18, 10:15 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    OUT FOR JOE: Beef and barley stew and dumplings. Chicken casserole. Apple pie. Parkin.
    I'll take these to him in the morning, as we are away most of the weekend.
    IN: Runners, a lettuce and more blackcurrants from Joe.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 14th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    In (sideways move ) : chicken from fridge which we're not going to use in time
    Out : nothing
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    6/13
    Sept 29.63/30
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 33,086 Thanks
    maddiemay
    IN Chicken thighs, must decide what I am making from them for supper tonight. Eggs. Cherries.

OUT some french fries and chips, more salad, HB eggs.

FINISHED Cucumber, sausages, pack of eggs.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 26,983 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday
    In: HM pesto
    Out: lamb keema, chickpea/lentil/veg mix, pitta
    Used up: turkey, orzo with pesto, celery
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • dannie
    • By dannie 15th Jul 18, 6:48 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    dannie
    Lots of fresh salad, fresh vegetables, peanuts that are getting "old", protein powder recipes, "toffoo" (i.e. tofu), nori sheets, dressings, pastes and sauces have been my main focus to use up. Also, still finding more black currants and have frozen quite a lot. Will also need freezer space for the blackberry season.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 15th Jul 18, 9:14 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 4,351 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I've lost track of where everything is since i got rid of the fridge freezer and moved all the frozen into the big freezer.

I'm still keeping track of what goes in and out and making a note of which shelf new things are on, but the things from the little freezer are still marked as being in there on my inventory, not where they are now, and it's a bit full to search properly! Time to take it all out and rearrange and redo inventory I think!

Another neutral day today as having a birthday meal at sister's house and we won't use anything for breakfast/lunch

Out: nothing
    Sept GC 62.58/240
    6/13
    Sept 29.63/30
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 26,983 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday:
    Out: tattie scone, corn cob
    Used up: cheddar
    GC YTD 2018- 1186/1390
    • dannie
    • By dannie 16th Jul 18, 6:08 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    dannie
    No weekend (local) shopping purchases. Online food grocery order could be next week depending upon the person I share delivery costs with. A big gap to use up food "stores" then, that is if nothing is acquired locally.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,587Posts Today

6,948Users online

Martin's Twitter