Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,659Posts
    • 37,098Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 194
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 10th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd

p.s.
    I meant to ask...
    Anybody know how long a whole salmon safely keeps in the freezer? I looked on line and opinions vary. I have two (yes, I know: greedy) bought at the end of January in a flash sale. Both are gutted and I've wrapped them well. If safe, I'll defrost one and poach and refreeze in smaller portions for sandwiches and stuff. The mutt also likes salmon. The other I'll keep as long as it is safe.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 10th Jul 18, 2:15 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Hopeless Case: Watch your dogs eating aliums (onion, garlic, leeks etc) as it is poisonous to them. Having said that, we once had a Staffie/Jack Russell cross who ate absolutely ANYTHING and, if it didn't agree with him, returned it from whence it came, or - as was more usual - threw up on the kitchen floor. I can't leave bananas in reach as the mutt loves them. Same with blueberries. He's also good at hoovering up frozen peas that I regularly manage to spill. NOTE TO SELF: seal the bl**dy bag before putting back in the freezer.
    Originally posted by mrssd
    Thanks, that's good advice, I knew that onions and garlic were poisonous to dogs, but it hadn't occurred to me that chives also were! He's a menace really, he stands by my feet when I'm cooking and anything which I drop is gone in a flash, so I have to be so careful - he has eaten bits of garlic skin and things like mushrooms and bits of potato, which I know are also bad for dogs, before I could stop him, so I really have to be on my guard. My spaniels are fussy, gentle eaters so his arrival has been quite a culture shock

He also pounced on and ate my other dog's worm tablet once - I'd pushed it into cheese but he still managed to eat the cheese and spit the tablet, and Mr Pug was on it in a flash. I was worried at first but thankfully as it wasn't an overdose! I swear I could just drop his tablet into his open mouth and he'd eat it without even questioning what it was but lesson learned, I shut him in the other room when worming the others now!

I can relate to you not being able to get the freezer top closed. HINT: a 4 pack of beans and a 4 pack of tomatoes on the lid helps!
    Sadly it's an upright freezer so I have to stare at the seal and make sure it's closed then just push if it isn't
    Sept GC £62.58/£240
    NSD target: Aug 21/20, Sept 8/14
    Sept Bring Your Lunch to Work Target
    7/13
    £1 a day: Aug £60.88/£31
    Sept £29.63/£30
    Tesco CC £10,151.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4321.80 £4111.7 0% til Feb 20
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 10th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    In
    nothing

Out
    1 chicken breast
    pack of chicken mince
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 10th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 33,145 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Another no shop day today (even though I was tempted to get out of the house) so nothing IN

OUT - 1 carton YS Chicken, Mushroom & Rice Soup, salad bits

FINISH - Carton of Eggs, packet of ham, pork pie.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 4,413 Posts
    • 27,025 Thanks
    caronc
    Not much movement in the in/out department over the past couple of days as out for lunch today
    Yesterday & today

In: beef stock
    Out: chicken breast, tinned tomatoes

Used up: radishes, cream cheese, spring onions
    GC - Jun £206/£230, Jul £211/£150, Aug £105/£140, Sep £152/£160
    GC YTD 2018- £1186/£1390
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 11th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Big YS deals yesterday - great for the budget, but not for emptying the freezer!

Out: 2 pitta breads, bagel, 3 slices pastrami, handful of blackcurrants

In: Loads of cherries; large piece of YS cod cut into 9 portions; large piece of YS salmon cut into 6 portions
    Sept GC £62.58/£240
    7/13
    Sept £29.63/£30
    • dannie
    • By dannie 11th Jul 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    dannie
    Hi mrssd,

Yes, I've found it handy to label and also, to have separate notes about what food "stocks" are in the house. My recipes made are usually additionally described as what they seem like to me (e.g. sweet, savoury, very nice, not keen etc.) If a recipe does not seem appealing, I usually want to "improve" it quickly. It usually works!
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 7:01 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    He also pounced on and ate my other dog's worm tablet once - I'd pushed it into cheese but he still managed to eat the cheese and spit the tablet, and Mr Pug was on it in a flash. I was worried at first but thankfully as it wasn't an overdose! I swear I could just drop his tablet into his open mouth and he'd eat it without even questioning what it was but lesson learned, I shut him in the other room when worming the others now!
    I didn't know pugs were such gannets! Wish the mutt would take his tablet. It doesn't matter what I hide it in, he manages to avoid it.
    Sadly it's an upright freezer so I have to stare at the seal and make sure it's closed then just push if it isn't
    Originally posted by Hopeless Case
    You could always take the baskets out for a bit more room I had that "bright idea" for the kitchen freezer. I opened the door and everything cascaded all over the kitchen.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 11th Jul 18, 7:04 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    dannie
    Not been out since last Sunday, so no local (food) shopping. This may be "helped" because my usual preferred transport (i.e. bicycle) to the shops is still broken. Nevertheless, plenty of black currants from the garden are being collected and frozen.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 7:05 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Hopeless Case: I know it is probably somewhere, but I'm still learning to drive this forum: What is "YS" in your posts?
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 11th Jul 18, 7:05 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Hopeless Case: I know it is probably somewhere, but I'm still learning to drive this forum: What is "YS" in your posts?
    Originally posted by mrssd
    It's 'yellow sticker'
    Sept GC £62.58/£240
    7/13
    Sept £29.63/£30
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Yes, I've found it handy to label and also, to have separate notes about what food "stocks" are in the house. My recipes made are usually additionally described as what they seem like to me (e.g. sweet, savoury, very nice, not keen etc.) If a recipe does not seem appealing, I usually want to "improve" it quickly. It usually works!
    Originally posted by dannie
    Great idea re separate notes. I need to add a column to my spreadsheet. Thanks
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    That was a quick response. Thanks. Once I clear the backlog - in about 4 years, I reckon I intend to use the flash sales and reduced aisles a bit more savvy. Coupled with a proper record of what I have, it should work.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Ok. Planned for today.
    Got "Joe" his goosegog jam (2 jars) and his cottage pie. Looking forward to those blackcurrants! I need to find out if he has a freezer of some description, as it would make sense to give him a load of stuff all at once then he can decide what he wants to eat and when. I could also deliver it (he must be local as he has a bike) rather than it sitting in his allotment shed defrosting. I been thinking a lot about him and it would be no big deal for me to make up a little extra single portion each time I cook and freeze it in readiness: it would also save OH from stuffing his face too much.

OUT OF FREEZER: sausages (for us); cottage pie and small crumble for "Joe".
    IN FREEZER: Courgette fritters. Also used up flour, eggs, spices etc from weekly store.
    IN STORE: 6 jars goosegog jam.
    OUT STORE: sugar for jam. Teabags.
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 11th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    What a generous idea mrsd. I think 'Joe' will be absolutely thrilled.

In

nothing

Out
    another chicken breast
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 9,365 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Use up day yesterday – ½ tin each of cannellini and borlotti beans, the last sweaty carrot and ½ tub coleslaw. I made bean burger/patties – 1 to eat in a Portobello mushroom bun with some salad & coleslaw for dinner.

In – 6 mini bean patties.
    Out – broccoli soup for lunch & savoury mince for dinner, chicken breast x 2 (sc chicken curry tomorrow, yum)
    Keep Moving = 554.00mls/1000mls @ week 26

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 4/14
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 11th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 33,145 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Shopping day today, we - I really mean I try not to go more often than every 10/14 days for main shop and top up with milk/bread/salad/veg in between at local shops.

Lots of INs of fridge and store essentials, but only 3 to go in freezer - lightly dusted haddock (2 portions), packet ready grated Mozzarella and a Viennetta for OH.

OUT from freezer Bara Brith.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Oh, my...bara brith! Years since I've had that. I'll probably have to find a recipe and make some now. Of course, I won't eat it all myself
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 10:25 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Joe gave me around 3lbs of blackcurrants, which I decided to freeze rather than turn into jam. We had some tonight and they really are delicious. I didn't get around to broaching the subject of delivering meals in bulk, but I have established that he has a big fridge/freezer and really only keeps one drawer full. I need to be careful how I bring it up, as I think he is quite proud.

The sausages out the freezer smelt a bit odd when they defrosted and I didn't want to risk eating them, so they got binned. Took out a small fish pie for him and cooked from frozen. I had some falafels from the freezer. He was a bit miffed, as he'd had tuna sarnies today, but perked up when I said there was a blackcurrant fool for pud. I even managed to slip in some Greek yogurt and he didn't notice. He hates yogurt.

Took out some venison bought in a flash sale for tomorrow. He hates venison, as well. Good job he thinks it's beef! I plan on cooking it with some of the blackcurrants. Joe is getting the other fish pie, which I take out in the morning. I've also found one of those insulated freezer bags I don't need, so I'll take Joe's stuff in that as I am concerned about it defrosting until he takes it home and perhaps going off.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 11th Jul 18, 10:28 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Lots of INs of fridge and store essentials, but only 3 to go in freezer - lightly dusted haddock (2 portions), packet ready grated Mozzarella and a Viennetta for OH.

OUT from freezer Bara Brith.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    If you freeze mozzarella, it is easier to grate. It's usually cheaper ungrated, but not always.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,821Posts Today

8,060Users online

Martin's Twitter