Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,775Posts
    • 37,500Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 192
    • dannie
    • By dannie 5th Jul 18, 6:29 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    dannie
    Finished 1 from 3 of the batched cooked recipes that I am trying to have by the end of Saturday. Don't think I will manage them all.

This month so far, received an online (food) grocery delivery which had one fridge and one freezer item missing. However, purchased more "yellow-stickers" beforehand, elsewhere. Balanced things out a little (regarding space) but a reminder of how I can be!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 5th Jul 18, 7:19 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,324 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I've got a slight problem hopeless case. The runner bean guy says I can have a couple of bagsful in exchange for some piccalilli and chutney. Now, my problem is this...
    Do I take the beans and put them into the freezer, thus taking up space I have created, or do I just give him the goods free, gratis and for nothing? I love runner beans, but I am trying to create space - not fill it up. I suppose I could always make runner bean chutney for future bartering...
    Originally posted by mrssd
    Personally I'd take the beans - I love runners and they are so expensive to buy and such a short season. I grow my own (though they are sluggish this year due to the heat) and always try and freeze some to enjoy throughout the year. I don't blanch them just chop & freeze in bags and they are so much tastier than the commercial frozen ones
    Originally posted by caronc
    I would take them too, and freeze them - this is the dilemna I found myself in, once you start taking stuff out of the freezer, and feel like that is your target, it starts to feel wrong to be putting stuff back in, then I started questioning what my aim was and if I even wanted a freezer at all,, but the runner beans would definitely be 'good' freezing, using and managing your freezer, and as caronc says, it's a short season and he'll be gaining from the swap
    Finished 1 from 3 of the batched cooked recipes that I am trying to have by the end of Saturday. Don't think I will manage them all.

This month so far, received an online (food) grocery delivery which had one fridge and one freezer item missing. However, purchased more "yellow-stickers" beforehand, elsewhere. Balanced things out a little (regarding space) but a reminder of how I can be!
    Originally posted by dannie
    How annoying - have you queried the missing items? Will they replace them

In: Nothing
    Out: Bagel and 2 pitta breads
    Used up: fennel bulbs which I bought and then didn't use a couple of weeks ago
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 5th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    Mrsd, I freeze all cheese but tend to find the harder cheeses get a bit more crumbly when defrosted but still better than wasting them. Soft cheeses freeze very well and defrost perfectly.

As for the beans, whilst I appreciate you goal is to cut down on buying items when you already have so many, they would effectively be a swapsie - trading something you have a glut of for something you don't but like. I say yes to the beans, bung them in the freezer and keep bartering while you can. Continue to eat through your stockpile and then when the allotment picking are over in the winter, you will still have lots of lovely produce to eat and won't need to buy more.

as for my progress (very little I am afraid)
    In
    nothing

Out
    two mini pizzas
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 5th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 7,606 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Currently virtually housebound with sciatica so eating out of the freezer is going very well, I can see a bit of space but mostly everything doesn't fall out when I open the door now! I have frozen a lot of raspberries but what is left on the canes now will be bird food as I cannot pick! The freezer food is a God send at the moment, I am pleased to have enough to last for a while more as carrying shopping doesn't look doable in the near future.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 17th September 2018 1,000.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 5th Jul 18, 12:39 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    Thanks, caronc. After a quick look online this morning and seeing how expensive they are, I decided to take the beans - and very nice beans they are, too! I've stringed and chopped them (they weren't to stringy) and put them into the freezer in suitable sized portions. Never thought of doing that before without blanching them. Didn't barter anything this as there weren't many gardeners around, but tomorrow might be better. Apparently, most of them play bowls on a Thursday!
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 5th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    Yes - I took the beans.
    Thinking of putting the OH's name down for an allotment. Don't think he'll thank me, though!
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 5th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    Ouch! Sciatica is horrible. A GP once told me the best thing to "cure" it was to hang from a bar attached across a doorframe. Haha - I doubt our doorframes could stand the strain - even if I could get up there. I still get attacks - especially in the summer months, but that has been overtaken by rheumatoid arthritis, which didn't bother me too much in the past, but is now accelerating with a vengeance: another reason to clear all the clutter and get my house in order before I can no longer manage everyday things.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jul 18, 8:35 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 28,053 Thanks
    caronc
    Ouch on the sciatica, less dramatic than hanging from a door is to stand against said door as straight as you can with shoulder blades, buttocks and the back of your head touching it. Clench your bottom and hold for up to a minute. Relax & repeat x 5. Do a few times a day. It's sore at the time but does help (got this tip at physio). If you have access a jacuzzi or hot tub it can really help but float, don't sit in it and pedal your legs gently. Hope it clears up soon.

In: tiger loaf, peri peri marinade
    Out: HM swedish meatballs, cream sauce, chicken wings, spaghetti
    Used up: carrots, green beans

• Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 6th Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 5,324 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Out: Whole YS tortilla, pack of casserole beef, small pack of blanched and chopped YS carrots, some more out of big kale pack, 2 more pitta breads

In: Nothing
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 44.75/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 6th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    Thanks for the tip on sciatica: I'll certainly give it a go next time I have a flair up, as it has to be worth it to cut the pain. Luckily, I don't get it too often, so I really feel for anyone who has it constantly.

OK. The prepped pastrami is now in slow cooking away for the next 6 hours - one for us to start tonight and the other for son to take away.

Out: lamb mince to make a moussaka for tomorrow. Tinned toms and tom puree for same.
    Veggie friend coming today, so more tinned toms and puree to use up with a load of (nearly) fresh salad veg from the fridge and make some gazpacho to have for lunch, together with a ciabatta from the freezer and some raspberries to puree and serve with rest of the macarons.

Tin of corned beef and box of a certain brand of tea bags for bartering purposes this morning. OH is fussy about his tea and won't drink these and I don't drink black tea. Hoping to swap for some fresh salad stuff for the weekend.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 6th Jul 18, 7:17 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    I missed out the duck legs! For some reason known only to me, I bought 4 packs in a flash sale online. As per, I stuck them in the freezer (out of sight and all that...) until I could decide what to do with them. They're ALL in the oven now with the slow cooking pastrami and I'll make a duck confit. Also used a couple of tins of goose fat leftover from a few Christmas's back. I've not been able to find them since and the clearing of the food mountain revealed these also. I'll bottle them when cooked and they can do for a cassoulet (or three) later in the year.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 6th Jul 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,790 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    dannie
    Hopeless Case - I meant that the items were unavailable so not sent. The store also sent an email before the delivery arrived informing me of this.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 6th Jul 18, 7:30 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    NOTE: There has been a recall on certain brands of frozen sweetcorn and products containing it. I don;t know how to post a link, but worth checking if you have any in the freezer. It shouldn't really be a problem if you cook it, but I often take out a handful to use without cooking.
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 6th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    I saw the recall - 4 people have died so I would defo take anything you have with sweetcorn in it back to the store. Lucky for me, I can't stand the stuff.

In
    nothing

Out
    sausage meat
    shortcrust pastry
    monkfish cheeks
    2 x chicken burgers
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 3,701 Posts
    • 34,074 Thanks
    maddiemay
    out 1 M&S Sourdough type GF loaf, handful of onions and spinach to make a bolognaise type sauce with the last of the beef joint.

Used up the last of the tomatoes, new potatoes, an avocado and a packet each of bolognaise mix and a large sachet of tomato sauce from an enchillada kit.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 28,053 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: peri peri marinade
    Used up: hard boiled egg, 1/2 a pepper, LO new potatoes

• mrssd
    • By mrssd 6th Jul 18, 10:38 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    mrssd
    Just finished in the kitchen...
    The pastrami was a success and we had it with some dill pickles and a potato salad with the rest of the ciabatta from lunchtime, plus a few other bits that needed using up.

I've bottled the ducks legs for later in the year and made a moussaka for tomorrow.

Managed to barter the corned beef and teabags for a rather nice lettuce, spring onions, radishes, some greenhouse tomatoes and a couple of courgettes that are almost marrows.

On the way back, popped into Morrisons for more garlic, but I also 2 kgs of strawberries for 4 - and that is all I bought! Result on both counts (cheap strawberries and sticking to what I went in for). The strawberries are in the maslin pan with sugar from the food mountain and will macerate overnight. I've everything ready and I'll add some lemon juice tomorrow, boil up and get into the jars. I'm doing a cream tea in a couple of weeks to help a local charity, so the jam (or some of it) will come in handy then. The rest will be eaten: mostly by me.

Right. Off to watch Corrie on catch-up and then to bed. Exhausted!
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 7th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Had pork cheeks and veg from freezer last night, lamb chops and veg (freezer) tonight, Thai style chciken & soya beans for veg (freezer) tomorrow. Am cooking about half doz jmedium jkt spuds in SC today to put in freezer for when I get back home from operation. Am doing a mystery shop job on Sunday and an item which has been on my wish list (when I went there again and had room) is sriracha steaks (they were soo good when I had before) and habanero chick thighs, these are on offer so happy to buy them now. Gradually using older stuff from freezers but did put 6 portions of soup in yesterday (that makes about 2 weeks worth) and some yoghurt buns (15) some of them had a glace cherry on top so just have about 1/3 big pot jog left to use up. Used the mozz (before it explodes) and need to use the feta. Some cooking bacon to go with I think the Italian potatoes so fridge is clearing too. Checked my sweetcorn and mixed frozen veg and am OK with them. Will boil some eggs for snacks over the next few days. Op. day approaching. Well done mrsd you have really started on your mountain and encouraged me too thanks.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 8th Jul 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 9,367 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    This week =
    In 8 slices of bread, 4 bread rolls.

Out
    chicken & mushroom lasagne
    white sauce
    sliced gammon
    garlic bread slices
    salmon fillet
    pork & black bean chilli
    an avocado
    3 large handfuls green beans
    Tin of condensed mushroom soup
    6 LMc red onion and rosemary sausages
    tin borlotti beans
    tin cannellini beans
    pkt Schwartz seasoning

First time I've had LMc sausages and I didn't like them too much, also the Schwartz seasoning ruined my bean casserole - binned leftovers (not very mse but no point taking up freezer space with stuff I wont eat )
    NSD's =
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 8th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    When I was veggie for 26 years, I couldn't eat LMc sausages as they were so salty! I always stuck to quorn ones Need2bthrifty.

In
    12 mini magmums (got to be done)
    a sliced loaf of bread
    2 cheap pizzas

Out
    pack of sausages
    packet of prawns
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,529Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter