Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,769Posts
    • 37,500Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 191
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 2nd Jul 18, 6:38 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Thank you, all. I have passed the first challenge and that is trying to find this thread again!
    Originally posted by mrssd
    I've just discovered subscribing - you click on 'Thread tools' on the green bar, then 'subscribe to this thread', then 'add subscription'. You can then go straight to your subscribed threads via by clicking on 'Quick links'.

I'm pretty sure I've joined a few challenges which I haven't been able to find again before I found this
    I was up at 5 this morning and sorted that damn food mountain out into categories: I guess it was on my mind to do something about it. OH got up and asked what I was up to: he never ventures into "my shed" and was amazed at what he saw. In my panic, I said I had been collecting it from sources for a charity. I don't think he believed me, but thought perhaps it was time that the "charity" benefited So, I came clean. He was remarkably good about it considering...

We have packed up boxes of tinned and packeted stuff we definitely will not use, together with anything with a short use-by date and he was going to take it to the tip. However, having seen the comments from Frogletina and other, he is going to take it into our local food bank tomorrow. Talk about missing the blinking obvious!

He's happy to help me wade through the stash left, as long as he doesn't get the same thing every night. So it's a tuna nicoise salad tonight, which involves cooking eggs only - and BONUS! - it will use up some of the tuna. It will also use up one of the 9 tins of anchovy fillets and a few olives from one of the 7 jars I found in one of the cupboards. Tinned pears and ice cream from the freezer for afters.

It is going to take time as the inventory is worse than I first suspected, but I'll get there. Every time I use something from the pile, I am going to put some money in a box (kind of buying it at a a bargain price) and then treat myself to something non-food related with half and give the other half to a charity, which should keep me motivated.

I still have the freezers to sort through, but it really is too hot at present to even contemplate it.

I'll keep popping in to let you know how am doing. A MASSIVE THANKS TO YOU ALL.
    I'm glad your OH has been so understanding and great that the food bank will benefit

Out: Frozen chicken
    In: Nothing
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 36.61/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 2nd Jul 18, 1:23 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    Welcome Mrsd. Sounds like your strategies to work through your stockpile are progressing well and I love the idea of bartering your tins for allotment produce. I wish you the best of luck.

As for my own progress:

In
    nothing

Out
    4 chicken burgers
    beef stir fry strips
    • dannie
    • By dannie 2nd Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 4,212 Thanks
    dannie
    caronc - Thanks for your message. I dare not start to think I am "winning" although I suppose something is improving.

Hopeless Case - Thanks for your message too. My thinking is similar, "to keep on top of what's in it (the freezer) and use it wisely".

Good luck to those new to this challenge.
    Last edited by dannie; 02-07-2018 at 4:46 PM.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 2nd Jul 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 4,212 Thanks
    dannie
    For the first week of July, I aim to use up more previously prepared freezer stored batch cooked recipes. These make up three and will each have several servings. They are in the fridge and I have been using them yesterday and today.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 2nd Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Thanks, hopeless case. I've managed to find this thread with no trouble tonight.

So, last night I opened one of the freezers...
    I took out a ham put there post-Christmas which was a cut-price bargain. I also took out two rolled brisket joints and left them defrosting overnight.

Today, I unrolled the brisket and trimmed the fat that tends to be hidden in the middle and put them into a large plastic box in brine. They're in the fridge and will sit there for 3 days after which I shall make up a rub and convert them into pastrami: one for us and one for my son who is due a visit from Manchester at the weekend. He's a big lad and will, no doubt, manage to eat it single-handed. I put the ham in my electric pressure cooker (best thing I EVER bought by way of gadgets. Can't recommend these multi pot things enough. Anyway, that's another thread in the making - my overindulgence in gadgets). We had some of the ham tonight with the bartered courgettes, which I sauted with some garlic and tomatoes I swapped for a tin of salmon whilst collecting the courgettes! I have the promise of some strawberries in exchange for a jar of piccalilli tomorrow. This thing is working!

OH mentioned this scheme of bartering at work and one or two of the lads he worked with said they would rather have his sarnies than what their partner makes up. I never, ever buy packeted cooked meats and always cook, or prepare my own. So - ever resourceful - he has asked them if their partners would be prepared to provide him with a bit of cake and piece of fruit in exchange for a round of sandwiches each day. If they agree and don't make stupid demands (no smoked salmon, please: you get what he gets) then this should help, also.

I have read through the whole thread now and cannot believe just how many people have a food hoarding problem similar to mine. I thought I was unique: Who'd have guessed? I hope I can be as successful as others here. I am enjoying this and setting it down here is certainly therapeutic, but if I am waffling on too much, just tell me to shut up. I've been a member here for over 10 years, but only just started posting when I found this thread.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 2nd Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 4,630 Posts
    • 27,931 Thanks
    caronc
    HM pastrami mrsssd how lovely
    Today-
    In: chicken stock
    Out: tea bags
    Used up: camembert, tea bags, coleslaw
    Last edited by caronc; 02-07-2018 at 9:17 PM.

• mrssd
    • By mrssd 3rd Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    I've been up since 5 again: I tend to be an early riser, anyway, but 5 is an hour earlier than normal! Sorted through the small kitchen freezer and it is not too bad - well once I got the drawers out! Everything in there is relatively new with nothing more than 6 months old, so I've transferred some of it to one of the bigger freezers and moved some of the older stuff up. I've got some chicken breasts and a frozen puff pastry defrosting from big freezer no 1 and I'll use up some of the ham that is left to make a couple of pies: one for tonight and one to freeze in the new found kitchen freezer space. I'm keeping a note of when it went in on my spreadsheet to make sure it doesn't get forgotten about.

Some of the chicken has freezer burns, so I'll poach these for the mutt, which should put a smile on his little face, as he loves chicken and it will save on dog food. I'll then refreeze it in suitable sized portions for him. I had a pile of dog food in store as well, but took it to the Dogs' Trust who appreciated it. To explain: the mutt had to go on a special diet and I had a load of dog food that he could no longer have.

I did wonder about the merits of cooking and refreezing stuff I am trying to get use up, but decided it is the only way to avoid waste.

So, today I'll have used up the rest of the ham; some chicken, pastry and sweetcorn from the freezer; the rest of the bartered courgettes; LL milk, a tin of new potatoes (why did I buy tinned spuds?) from the stored food mountain and we'll be having the strawberries I'll have bartered today with some Greek yogurt that needs using up.

Another question to answer, please...
    I rarely have anything in the fridge to throw out, but wonder if soft cheeses (somebody above mentioned Camembert) freeze ok? I often throw away that and brie - as well as yogurt from the fridge. NOTE TO SELF: Don't make quite so much yogurt! I tend to freeze rinds from Parmesan and the like and use up when making soups that can take it (minestra, broccoli, cauliflower etc.) I just throw one in and take it out before serving. It's crazy, as a part of me loathes waste and - yet - I am stockpiling enough food to feed Colchester Garrison when they come to visit!

Right. Off to walk the dog via the allotments. Thanks for reading and all your help.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 3rd Jul 18, 7:39 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    caronc: May I ask? What does the GC at the foot of your posts mean? I'm not what can be described as forum savvy!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 4,630 Posts
    • 27,931 Thanks
    caronc
    caronc: May I ask? What does the GC at the foot of your posts mean? I'm not what can be described as forum savvy!
    Hi it stands for "Grocery Challenge" which is a separate monthly thread on this board. Worth joining as another nudge for accountability

• maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 3rd Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    In
    nothing

Out
    1 pack of chicken mince
    packet of mozarella
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 3rd Jul 18, 7:25 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Thanks, caronc. I'll have a look. I need to cut back on the spending on food. It is shameful what I manage to spend each week. Hopefully, now a thing in the past! I was fortunate enough to retire on a good pension that is index linked, but OH will not have much in a private pot when he retires (he is younger than me He has another 5 years or so to go, but I need to get into the habit of budgeting BIG TIME now. It is not that I don't know how to budget: it is simply a case of never having to budget. Or - at any rate - for a very long time.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 3rd Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    maisymoo5: I see you took out some mozarella. That answers my question on freezing soft cheeses, so I won't be throwing brie and Camembert out now.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Jul 18, 8:52 PM
    • 4,630 Posts
    • 27,931 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: pork burger, onion rings
    Used up: cheese spread, flat peaches, cherry tomatoes, home grown cucumber

• Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 4th Jul 18, 7:38 AM
    • 885 Posts
    • 5,283 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I'm with you on cooking and refreezing stuff mrssd, it's all part of the process for me!

Out: frozen apples and blackberries
    In: 3 x YS grilling cheese
    Nov GC 80.34/200
    NSD target: Nov 1/15
    Bring Your Lunch to Work Target Nov 1/15
    1 a day: Nov 36.61/45
    Tesco CC Aug 18 10,151.56 9950.56 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC Aug 18 4321.80 3968.77 0% til Feb 20
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 4th Jul 18, 10:35 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Mrssd, you are well on the case, wish I was as focussed but when I am recuping back at home I will use up some of the freezer stuff as will be unable to go to shops for a while. I am bad for buying cheeses (soft) and yoghurt and not using them at the time so they sit in fridge for ages - I mean could be months, unopened. I took a moz. out yesterday, 2 months OOD and used it, it was fine, I do sometimes freeze a yog but I have a big greek one in fridge at the mo, couple of months over, but intend to use this week, pre hospital, have made a search for uses for it so a pizza base and some yoghurt buns. Really must get my act together too, doughter will be coming round to help once she has had me at her home for a couple of weeks so she will look all over and she is a best before person!!!! Oh dear
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 4,630 Posts
    • 27,931 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: pollock, rice, brisket joint, pitta
    Used up: cooked chicken, cucumber, radishes, boiled OOD eggs for use over the next couple of days
    Last edited by caronc; 04-07-2018 at 9:36 PM.

• mrssd
    • By mrssd 4th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Sorry to hear that you have been unwell and hope your recuperation goes well and you are back firing on all four cylinders soon.

Be careful with that past its best mozzarella. I once forgot about one and opened the fridge one day to find it had quite literally exploded out of its packaging: the mess was unbelievable! Having said that, it was getting on for 9 months' old I was so angry at having to empty the fridge and clean everything that I vowed never to use my fridge as a dustbin again: Shame I resorted to using my "shed" and the freezers instead!

I had the grandkids today (forgot they were coming), so the food mountain and freezer took a well deserved knock. We found some pizzas lurking in a corner of the big freezer that looked fine and used them at lunchtime with a tin of beans (strange combo, but the kids like it) and made a shepherd's pie for tea, which we ate with some bartered runner beans from this morning's walk with the mutt. Cost me one jar of home-made marmalade. They also managed to eat some crisps that were a couple of weeks past their best and the best part of a tub of ice cream. Hope they are not sick tonight, but they looked fine when their dad picked them up. They've gone home with several jars of home-made jam and marmalade, a Christmas pudding and the rest of the rest of the out of date crisps. Fill them up with junk and send them home hyper. No doubt, their mother will be mortified and it will only confirm her belief that I am nuts. I call it Grandma's Revenge for all the grief their dad caused me when he was their age.
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 4th Jul 18, 10:01 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    I've got a slight problem hopeless case. The runner bean guy says I can have a couple of bagsful in exchange for some piccalilli and chutney. Now, my problem is this...
    Do I take the beans and put them into the freezer, thus taking up space I have created, or do I just give him the goods free, gratis and for nothing? I love runner beans, but I am trying to create space - not fill it up. I suppose I could always make runner bean chutney for future bartering...
    • mrssd
    • By mrssd 4th Jul 18, 10:11 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    mrssd
    Out for tomorrow:
    Something without a label, which might be chilli, or then again, it could be bolognese. Either way, it will get rid of either some of the rice or pasta.
    One packet of frozen macarons left over from Christmas.
    Sliced wholemeal bread.
    Two salmon fillets (now poached and half made into sarnies with not much out of date salad cream for OH and his workmate: rest for me tomorrow lunchtime - sans salad cream).
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 4,630 Posts
    • 27,931 Thanks
    caronc
    I've got a slight problem hopeless case. The runner bean guy says I can have a couple of bagsful in exchange for some piccalilli and chutney. Now, my problem is this...
    Do I take the beans and put them into the freezer, thus taking up space I have created, or do I just give him the goods free, gratis and for nothing? I love runner beans, but I am trying to create space - not fill it up. I suppose I could always make runner bean chutney for future bartering...
    Personally I'd take the beans - I love runners and they are so expensive to buy and such a short season. I grow my own (though they are sluggish this year due to the heat) and always try and freeze some to enjoy throughout the year. I don't blanch them just chop & freeze in bags and they are so much tastier than the commercial frozen ones

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin