Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    • 13,840Posts
    • 37,597Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 9:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 9:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 181
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Apr 18, 12:25 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 10,782 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Dinner was out of the freezer again
    Sausagemeat with apricots and chestnuts wrapped in bacon - frozen last October, followed by sponge and apple frozen last September. Custard - but that was fresh today.

Tomorrow for lunch I've got some green pea soup but I'll add bits of bacon and croutons and maybe a dash of cream. DH always likes something sweet after lunch so I'll defrost a couple of gooey brownies for him
    Dinner - not sure yet but I'm sure I'll find something without too much trouble
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • dannie
    • By dannie 11th Apr 18, 5:46 AM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    Since last Sunday, several freezer food packages have been used from the freezer. Not much at all (size) has been added which was homemade (not recently purchased). Two "glut" areas consisting of Brussels sprouts and melons are getting less too.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday
    In: tinned tomatoes, lamb mince, lamb chops, dried chickpeas, turkey/pork mince patties, baked spuds
    Out: crusty roll, cream, root ginger, portion spiced chicken & lentils
    Used up: parsnips

• caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Today
    In: nothing
    Out: small tub of piri piri pork
    Used up: beetroot, 1/2 a red pepper, flat mushroom
    Ditched: remains of an elderly jar of olives that were looking really manky!
    Last edited by caronc; 11-04-2018 at 8:57 PM.

• caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: baked spud, corn cobette, 2 salmon portions
    Used up: nothing

• dannie
    • By dannie 12th Apr 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    Used up two "old" freezer recipes but lots more packages went in today. Yesterday, did go shopping after all. "Yellow stickers" and "clearance" food were available. These seem to have been replaced/renamed and are now more expensive per weight. Consequently, purchased some of these and so makes my monthly freezer challenge harder!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 10,782 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Yesterday
    I had just been veg shopping and got some cheese so that did lunch with a salad
    D: turkey from freezer, onion and oats from store/cupboard plus a carrot made into turkey burgers.
    Pudding home made brown bread ice cream. I make icecream when I have a lot of spare eggs - all different flavours, my current favourite is dark chocolate and ginger.

Today
    L: need to use up a squash so will probably turn it into soup, rolls from freezer
    D: I've several packs of mince so I may do cottage pie but stretch it with mushrooms as some in the fridge need using up.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: soup, stuffed pasta, mozzarella
    Used up: cottage cheese

• dannie
    • By dannie 14th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    Freezer drawers 8th April - 14th April 2018 = Drawer space is now over 1 and three quarters (about 1.92% from 2%). My challenge of emptying two drawers by the end of the month is nearly achieved?

Weekend shopping at the local store food store to have a look at the "clearance" and "yellow-stickers" tomorrow, maybe. Also, next week is my online food grocery order for mainly UHT milk.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday & today:
    Out: duck breasts, duck stock, lorne, tattie scones, passatta
    Used up: potatoes, red peppers

• dannie
    • By dannie 16th Apr 18, 5:52 AM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    There were plenty of "yellow-sticker" and "clearance food items that I could have purchased yesterday. However, didn't get any of them. I have very similar cheaper freezer stored ones to use up.

Yesterday, started to use up my frozen "carrot glut". Made some "carrot crisps". Quite some space appearing now in that drawer!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: oven chips, beans, chicken thighs
    Used up: profiteroles ....LOL
    Last edited by caronc; 16-04-2018 at 8:25 PM.

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 16th Apr 18, 11:41 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 10,782 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I actually went to M&S this evening and only bought a loaf of bread and a couple of pack of biscuits, that must be a first for me.

i'm now on a money diet regarding food. Milk, bread fresh vegetables and fruit only to be bought. I hope to wean myself off buying most of the fruit and vegetables over the summer as I grow quite a lot myself - here's hoping
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • dannie
    • By dannie 17th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    My online food grocery delivery arrived today and largely consisted of UHT milk. Nothing was requested that would have to be frozen.

My (frozen) "carrot glut" is still being used up e.g's. pickled carrots and carrot buns made today. Will try and not put any back in the freezer.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    In- sausage rolls, pork ribs
    Out - bacon steaks, pitta bread
    Used up- pate, mange tout

• caronc
    • By caronc 18th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: lamb mince, chopped tomatoes, white sauce, parsley
    Used up: kale, baked beans

• caronc
    • By caronc 19th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: crusty roll
    Used up: sumac chicken, cucumber, greek yoghurt

• dannie
    • By dannie 20th Apr 18, 6:25 AM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    Hi, I've been busy these last few days; gardening and also acquiring a lot of free fresh vegetables and fruit. These have taken some time to prepare and therefore not to waste. Oops, so I think a lot of them will have to be frozen. Must have originally cost a lot to buy though.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 29,324 Thanks
    caronc
    In: 3 portions of moussaka
    Out: roll, pork ribs, spaghetti, clams, tomatoes, parsley
    Used up: cheese spread, satsumas

• dannie
    • By dannie 21st Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,307 Thanks
    dannie
    Freezer drawers 15th - 21st April 2018 = Drawer space is slightly more than the 14th April (about 1.95% from 2%). This is "deceptive", however, as the fridge is packed full with perishables. Last day to see if I can achieve 2 drawers empty is the end of the month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

263Posts Today

1,374Users online

Martin's Twitter