PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I join in too please.

There are 2 of us here and the animals.

We have recently filled up the freezer thanks to both lucky reductions and leftover / hm things. I am planning to go through a draw at a time.

Tonight we have a small pork roast, DH's tradition, all leftovers and some veggies will be turned into a stew thing for tomorrow.

Other than milk and fresh veg usually from Lid3, or a lovely fruit and veg stand, I don't think we will need to shop for anything else until the end of January.
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    Another joiner today - my presses are bursting after the holidays and I'm hoping to put the grocery savings away so that we can buy a shed in the spring ��
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OH made bread for today so lunch was a bacon sandwich bacon from freezer. Dinner was pie from freezer.
    We also batch cooked some chilli in slow cooker. I didn't have kidney beans but used some pinto beans at their best before date from cupboard and replaced sundried tomatoes with tomato paste from cupboard. We also used up some of the cheese left from Christmas. We increased the veg to meat ratio and stretched a recipe that should make 8 portions to 18 portions! There are 2 of us so we made 4 meals worth of enchiladas and 5 meals of chilli. All in freezer now.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    We have used up some left over turkey in a stir fry and we all had cheese and crackers for lunch.

Used up more of the cherry pie also, just 1 piece left of it that I'll have for lunch tomorrow.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm going to join in with this, as I have loads of food in my freezer and cupboards which I really need to use up.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 January 2017 at 5:34AM
    Options
    I cannot tell you guys how happy I am that this thread rebooted! I have cooked about halfway through one freezer and am looking forward to having company.

I started with two overstuffed upright freezers and one big freezer drawer in my large American refrigerator. My kitchen is being slowly remodeled (cabinets, sink, and stove are out) and I'm left with a slow cooker and microwave in the laundry room. Thankfully there is a full sized sink in there too. It's quite a challenge but I'm having fun making things work.

I now have a large pantry that was just finished (put a door in the wall where an obsolete heater once lived and moved the hot water heater...added shelves) and I can see my food stores. It's heavenly!

The cost has us cinching our belts even tighter than last year. I learned a lot from the OSMS site last year and am looking forward to going further in my frugality education. (Reading your posts carefully Jackie :A)

DH hates leftovers so I have lots of leftover meals in the freezer, which thankfully come in handy as we continue to remodel. He's not quite so [STRIKE]spoiled[/STRIKE] picky now that it's harder to come up with meals.:D

First shop this year was today by DH as I was feeling poorly. Some dairy, veggies and sale meat (crock pot worthy) plus a few canned things we use all the time. We hadn't gotten groceries in weeks since we were out of town.

Happy frugal New Year!! :beer:
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Yesterday I used from the freezer for hubby 1 fondant fancy and 1 slice of Birthday cake.
    Sadly I added 4 bags quorn mince on offer and I use it a lot,also 2 cabbages steamed and portioned up they were on sale 2p each and some dry fried roast potatoes yes the potatoes were on sale 49p:-)
    Will update my spends as we did the grocery shop but I spent a third of what i normally do:-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    WP I love your signature!!!!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Aww Thank You it has taken a good while 2 years I am hopping by end of this year to be at goal weight:-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Maiden_Mum
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was pleased to use up half of last year's small Xmas pudding last night with the expensive shop bought custard that I bought Xmas Eve that was a few days out of date but tasted fine. Still got the big Xmas pudding that I bought this year to go though!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback