PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Hi everyone my meal plan for tonight is meatball pasta bake making my own meatballs as well i don't have any jar pasta sauce going to try make my own have pasatta(sp?) and chopped tomatoes sure i could make one anyone have any ideas thank you.

I'm making my own sauce for the first time this week too! I'm not using a recipe but just going to use passatta, fresh toms, red onion (or normal depending on what I've got!), 1 garlic clove and mushrooms. I'm not sure how it'll come out but I'm going to give it a try! Good luck with yours too!:T
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • I usually use roasted tomatoes from garden(frozen) onions,garlic mushrooms very easy to make and if no garden tomotoes I will use passata or tinned tomatoes

Out
    Egg bake

in
    Nowt as yet but bought hubby a chicken so portions will be put back in for later in week.
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • theresamum2
    theresamum2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 23 February 2015 at 3:07PM
    thats excatly what im using passata and a tin of chopped tomatoes don't have any fresh tomatoes in im hoping its going towork also going to put some mixed herbs in sauce as well and going to fry some chopped onions and put them in quite nervous im one for using jar of sauces never made my own sauce good luck with yours too. going to see if the kids notice the difference :)
    Mum to two girls chloe & Lily-Rose
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    thats excatly what im using passata and a tin of chopped tomatoes don't have any fresh tomatoes in im hoping its going towork also going to put some mixed herbs in sauce as well and going to fry some chopped onions and put them in quite nervous im one for using jar of sauces never made my own sauce good luck with yours too. going to see if the kids notice the difference :)

It will be fine - taste better than the jars I am sure! One tip I would add either a little bit of sugar - or sweetner - to taste as the tomatoes can be quite acidic. Add a little, then taste till you are happy - good luck!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • update on the homemade sauce it was a hit tasted so much better. the kids enjoyed it said what do like that sauce or the sauce from jar and my oldest chloe who is 9 said can you make this again tastes nicer :)
  • update on the homemade sauce it was a hit tasted so much better. the kids enjoyed it said what do like that sauce or the sauce from jar and my oldest chloe who is 9 said can you make this again tastes nicer :)

glad it was so well received.
  • I notice this thread, like the StoreCupboard one, is thinning out, which is a shame as it really helps to have company when doing this. Anyway ill chat to myself and see if it picks up. Basically i have spent too many years bulk buying and now have a ton of storecupboard supplies. I also want to stop wasting money and get myself some kind of financial security, rather than living from month to month. Im hoping to use up stuff from the freezer, so I can get stuck into filling it with stuff made mainly from stores. Tonight is gonna be a Risotto and veg from freezer.
  • Hi savedosh i was thinking the same just want to say hi :)
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    OUT:

Handful of sweetcorn
    Veggie burger
    Few slices of lemon lime

...well, every little helps ;)
  • Hi savedosh i was thinking the same just want to say hi :)
    Hi back
    MandM90 wrote: »
    OUT:
    ...well, every little helps ;)
    It really does
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business