Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 30th Sep 13, 3:59 PM
    • 10,414Posts
    • 9,406Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    Shoe repairs?
    • 30th Sep 13, 3:59 PM
    Shoe repairs? 30th Sep 13 at 3:59 PM
    I notice my leather boots are starting to wear a little. At first i thought i must have funny feet but apparently all/most people show heel wear towards the rear outer edge more !

So what are the options?

Heel looks like tacked on rubber block,sole is leather.

Fit Blakeys segs ? metal or rubber? I notice they now have their own website.

DIY glue on sole/heel?

Cobblers if you can find one.. or Timpsons?

How much is a heel and/or sole repair job these days?
    ta
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Page 2
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 6th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Shoes wear down on the outside of the heel because we are not flat-footed. In fact, if your shoe-heels wear down on the *inside* then you should probably see a podiatrist or physio about the way you walk, because it can lead to major knee problems...

Ideally, your heel strikes the ground with a little more weight on the outside, although all of your heel-back should make contact. Then as your weight moves forward above your foot, you should be rolling onto only the outside edge of your foot being in contact, with the arch of your foot being a spring to deal with pressure and strain, and finally the weight goes across the ball of your foot from the outside rolling across to all of it evenly, before your toes push you hard off the ground to step forward.

Walk barefoot on wet sand come summer - and get a small child to walk as well - then compare, and you'll see what we do to our poor feet over a lifetime!

Back to the OP - I do virtually all my own cobbling now. I'm actively only buying shoes and boots which *can* be repaired... I have boots and shoes I've lovingly re-soled and re-heeled, only to have the fake-leather PVC fabric disintegrate from old age, so now it's leather only! I'm slowly gathering some really good footwear, having heels replaced if needs be by Timson's in our local Sainsbury's, and then just keeping on with Blakey's non-metal segs, stick-on rubber soles, and looking after them as well as I can!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,828Posts Today

6,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin