Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jovichick123
    • By jovichick123 13th Jun 07, 7:22 PM
    • 928Posts
    • 8,852Thanks
    jovichick123
    Loads of Courgettes and Cauliflower... Please help!!
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:22 PM
    Loads of Courgettes and Cauliflower... Please help!! 13th Jun 07 at 7:22 PM
    Hi all,

I need help again :rolleyes:

I got my veg box last week and it had 5/6 medium sized courgettes in it.. I don't really like courgette (it always seems to taste bland to me but that could be the way I cook it ) I managed to use 4 of them in a chilli, spag bol and soup so felt quite proud of myself...

Have got in from work to find my fridge neatly stocked with 6 courgettes So my question is can I do anything else with them other than disguise them in soups etc?

I also have the biggest cauliflower I have ever seen in my life!! Any ideas for what to do with that would be much appreciated also

Thanks in advance,

Sarah xx
Page 1
  • savingsara
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:33 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:33 PM
    I believe you would normally use marrow, but I wonder if you could make picallili (sp) with courgette and cauliflower (sorry I don't know what else goes in it as I don't like it myself ) but it would disguise the cauli and spice up the courgettes!!
  • Garnet_Gem
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:53 PM
    I don't know about the courgettes (blurgh) but you could make cauliflower soup. Stock cube, large onion, large potato, cauliflower, water, S & P, cook till softened, mash or blend together, add a swirl of cream if you have any - delicious.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 13th Jun 07, 7:56 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:56 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:56 PM
    One of our favourite Hugh F-W recipes, happens to be vegetarian

Grate or chop your courgettes really finely. Put them into a pan with a little oil, and cook slowly with no lid on until they're mushy and have lost most of their moisture. Season with black pepper and nutmeg, add a slug of cream and loads of freshly grated parmesan. Keep warm while you coo some pasta. Serve with lots more parmesan.

Freezes really well, too.

For your cauliflower, another veggie recipe. Boil some new potatoes until just tender (don't over cook). Cool and cut into 3cm chunks. Prepare a similar volume of cauli into similar sized pieces. Put some oil into a frying pan and add whole cumin and coriander. Heat the oil and fry the cauli and potatoes until they are brown around the edges. Serve with curry. We eat with rice, naan and raitha.

HTH, Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • grannybroon
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 7:58 PM
    I use courgette as the main ingredient for ratatoullr. Courgettes, any other ve, garlic, tin of tomatoes (or two depending on quantity). Simmer for about 45 mins. Serve with potatoes and grated Cheddar cheese over the Rat. Delicious. Had it the other night because Lidl's veg so cheap and we have frozen 3 x 2 portions for future meals. One of our at least twice a week veggie meals!

GB x
  • grannybroon
    • 13th Jun 07, 8:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 8:00 PM
    I use courgette (or when we got a hug marrow last year as a pressie) as the main ingredient for ratatouille. Courgettes, any other veg diced small, garlic, tin of tomatoes (or two depending on quantity). Simmer for about 45 mins. Serve with potatoes and grated Cheddar cheese over the Rat. Delicious. Had it the other night because Lidl's veg so cheap and we have frozen 3 x 2 portions for future meals. One of our at least twice a week veggie meals!

GB x
    • dND
    • By dND 13th Jun 07, 8:03 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 6,971 Thanks
    dND
    • 13th Jun 07, 8:03 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 8:03 PM
    Courgettes arn't my favourite either but I like them sauted in a little butter with lots of thyme. It gives them some flavour.

As for the cauliflower, I'd second cauliflower soup. Ages ago I had it with stilton and it was nice. Just found this one of cauliflower with Roquefort which sounds lovely.
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cauliflower-soup-with-roquefort,1330,RC.html

Apart from that, what about good old cauliflower cheese with tomato and bacon bits?
  • Lil2002
    • 13th Jun 07, 8:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 8:37 PM
    Mmm, sliced courgette, tossed lightly in olive oil, onto a baking tray, sprinkle with a little garlic and either parmesan or blue cheese. into a hot oven until it starts to brown.

I eat them as a side veg, but I've also done this and then tossed it with some pasta, and a spoon full of creme fraiche.

If you have a food processor, (or a sharp knife ) julienne the courgettes with some carrots, a quick stirfry, and then use them as an extra layer in a shepherds pie. Really nice, and a great way to get extra veg into your diet.

Cauliflower curry!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    • 13th Jun 07, 9:36 PM
    • 13th Jun 07, 9:36 PM
    Hi there
    if you are doing anything with mince..grate up the courgettes and carrots..and use them to bulk it out.... i do this quite often...
    and the cauliflower would have to be cauliflower cheese....any left over is nice in a jacket potato, or on a slice of toast and stuck under the grill until golden ....or mixed up with leftover mash..which you can then form into "fishcake" sized disks and bake in the oven, or shallow fry...and they are nice with baked beans
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 13th Jun 07, 11:02 PM
    • 7,857 Posts
    • 28,001 Thanks
    Nicki
    You can use courgettes instead of aubergines in a moussaka. The other flavours should help with the blandness of the courgettes. I used to do this all the time as my OH doesn't like aubergines in any shape of form.

I also like cauliflower cheese, so that would be my first choice. Alternatively you could lightly boil the cauli and serve with cream, bacon, mushrooms and peas, which would be nice as a meal on its own. Or as its summer eat raw with a dip as a crudite, or dip in cheese sauce with other veg as a fondu
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 13th Jun 07, 11:14 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi jovichick,

These older threads might give you some ideas:

Courgettes

Cauliflower? Recipe please

Pink
  • dm1465
    Hi, a few summers ago when I was really skint, I lived on courgettes from my friend's garden! I became Miss 101 ways with Courgettes! Here are a few of my favourites:
    Courgette and Parmasan Omelette
    Courgette and Blue Cheese Risotto
    Stuffed Courgettes
    Courgette and Tomato Soup
    Roasted Courgette Pasta Sauce

I also like them fried in garlic butter, or roasted with other veg as a side dish or for a pasta sauce.
    If you would liky any recipes I'll be happy to post them,

Cheers Debx
    Friday April 9th 2010 the day I become Mrs Jones!

Weight loss campaign! 26th November - 10st 8lb Need to lose a stone!
    1st December - 10st 4lb
  • katzen
    My dad grew courgettes one year, I think we ate them every dinner for most of the summer! One of my favourites is dead simple, slice them up and fry them in a little oil with loads of garlic & lemon juice
    Starting early before it all gets out of control!

Debts: Student Overdraft 2,080 April 07/1,780 May 07
    Student Loan over 10,000

Savings Targets: ISA 3,000 by end 08

June GC: target 80;
    Week 1: 15.79 (64.21)
    Week 2: 19.26 (44.95)
    Week 3: 15.26 (29.69)
    Week 4: 13.47 (16.22)
    week 5: 17.41 - wine = 14.43 (1.79)
  • boo81
    I used them in roasted veg and ratatoiulle mainly.

I got a nice recipe whish I make quite often: makes one portion
    2 rashers of bacon chooped
    1 small courgette sliced fairly thin
    olive oil
    3 tablespoons creme fraiche
    Basil
    Garlic or garlic powder
    1 tomato

Fry the bacon bits and the courgette in a small amount of olive oil until nicely browned whilst cooking some pasta. Drain the pasta and mix the courgette and bacon, add the tomato (uncooked), creme fraiche, basil (they say half a teaspoon but I just put in until theres enough!) and garlic powder (if using fresh garlic, crush and fry with the bacon).

Its very nice but be careful not to burn the courgette as it can taste a bit bitter.
    • jovichick123
    • By jovichick123 14th Jun 07, 8:18 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 8,852 Thanks
    jovichick123
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I think I'll have a go at frying the courgettes, see if it improves the taste any!!

Cauliflower soup sounds interesting, will have a go at that later on today... I assume I can freeze it?

Deb, I would love the recipe for stuffed courgettes if you have it?

Once again, thanks all, this veg box is great as it means that we are eating veg that I normally would have just passed by in the supermarket... hence why I have no idea what to do with it when it arrives lol

Sarah xx
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 14th Jun 07, 8:42 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    I like to cut courgette and carrot ribbons (using my wide potato peeler) and then cook them in some butter - sometimes with a couple of tablespoons of white wine if I have an opened bottle - and a little salt and pepper. Looks an impressive served with a main course and tastes delicious.

With cauli I sometimes add florets to left over cubes of chicken, put it in a shallow ovenproof dish, cover with a sauce and some cheese and bake.
    • mouseymousey99
    • By mouseymousey99 14th Jun 07, 8:42 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mouseymousey99
    Bit of a late one - How about Aloo Gobi with the cauliflower? You can eat as main with rice or freeze and use to supplement a take away??
    Mx
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 14th Jun 07, 8:46 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi jovichick,

Cauliflower soup is lovely! It's one of the easiest soups to make, this is the way I do it.

This website is really useful if you find something unusual in your veg box and want recipes: Veg Box Recipes

Pink
  • tr3mor
    I make cauliflower cheese soup. Basically like all the other cauliflower soups, but with cheese added. It's good.

Make a ratatouille with the courgettes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

1,402Users online

Martin's Twitter