Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    • 3,226Posts
    • 16,386Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free...
    • 17th Sep 13, 9:49 AM
    Puzz tries again.. this time with claws... My DMP Journey. I will get debt free... 17th Sep 13 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

I'm Puzz, and I've been hanging around these dfw threads and diaries for a long time now... I've tried many times to sort out the money mess I have made but have now hopefully settled on a path that will lead me to where I wish to be...

What I don't know is how I didnt' know about DMP's before, as I say I've been here for at least 5 years if not longer and only discovered them in my darkest place back in July.

So this diary is to track my progress, keep me in check and maybe offer someone else some assistance along my way!

I have been in debt my entire adult existance. I am now the wrong side of 40 and still in debt. I wouldn't say I've had my head in the sand as I can tell you exactly how much I owe and to who at any given time. I have this all written in my special money book that goes back to 2008..

The debt has increased year on year, but slowly over the last 3 until this summer when it all caught up with me again and I realised that I had to do something now. I have tried snowballing but never had enough snow to throw the ball far enough away! And don't talk to me about consolidating.....

Stumbling across the dmp mutual support thread, I then researched debt management plans and went onto StepChange website did the debt remedy.. and there was my answer. I have read threads 7,8 and 9 of the dmp support thread, it is a wonderful place and if you are thinking of a dmp it is a great place to start.

My debt is huge and is going to get bigger before it gets smaller which is perfectly normal at the start of a dmp. I'm still at the sending letters and token payments stage, my new bank account is up and running and my salary switch is at the end of the month. It is at this point when my largest creditor (od/loan and cc) will be receiving the news that I don't want to do this anymore.

I spent the money I don't deny that. I have every intention of paying it back. BUT... I have paid out a fortune in interest and I no longer feel guilty that I can't do it anymore. I will be working very hard to get my creditors to play nice with me, and am more than prepared to sharpen my claws and involve the FOS when needed.

So that's the start.. I know a dmp isn't for everyone, I know it will trash my credit record, but I don't want credit anymore. I want to live again..

I think that's enough waffle for one morning, and being a cat its probably time I stretched out and had a little kip... oops no I've got work to do.... maybe later...

Christmas 2018 250 cash/74 vouchers
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 54% done
    60062/27269.76 - 12068k UE
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
Page 74
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy day...

Not something I celebrate I must say.. very

I can't seem to get going this week.. nothing unusual there....! Need to get out and do some visits today, but its so chilly....!

Nothing exciting has arrived in the post.. I got a 5 voucher from Iceland after I complained about a damaged container, I did say it was my fault for not checking before I purchased the ready meal, but they sent me a 5 anyway.. how kind. also got 3 tesco clubcard vouchers, i don't use tesco very often... a 20 Pizza Ex card from my ss for Christmas.. bit late...! and I am waiting for a voucher from Morrisons following another complaint about rubbish quality food....

Go me...

Other than that nothing very money orientated to say...

Still doing well on the walking have so far achieved 9 walks this month, totaling 4 hours 10 mins.. Just the 5 hours and 50 minutes to do in the other half of the month to meet my goal.. we shall see....

Have bff coming over tomorrow after work for bubbles and another friend over Friday evening, we shall either pop out for something to eat or get a takeaway.. so a bit spendy.. will try not to spend much over the weekend as its still awhile till payday...

dd still hoping the lecturers strike so she can come home mid week for a week.. best keep my purse shut.. although our new cinema has finally opened so no doubt a trip there and she wants a haircut.. Although I was given 20 by a friend who owed it from awhile back so that's half the hair...

Right best get on , work computer shouting at me... rude...

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 26,771 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Not been around much, a bit bogged down with Real Life stuff at the moment

My brother passed away early this morning from lung cancer. He was a non smoker but, according to a snippet on the news last night, the incidence of it among non-smokers is extremely high. Often, because it can cause no obvious symptoms, it remains undiagnosed until it's too late. He was only diagnosed at the beginning of December, and then only as a result of a totally unrelated examination, and was by then at Stage 4.

I went to see him at the weekend when the medics and his wife had decided that the kindest thing was to cease treatment and move to palliative care. I hadn't expected the end to come so soon afterwards though. I'm feeling numb and gutted at the moment. We had been a bit estranged in recent years, I feel terribly sad there were so many things that will now remain forever unsaid and sorted between us. When I was there at the weekend he was already drifting in and out of consciousness. I spoke to him but I'm not sure he could hear or understand what I was trying to say to him. It's just something I'm going to have to live with.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1209.25

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 14th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat

My brother passed away early this morning from lung cancer. He was a non smoker but, according to a snippet on the news last night, the incidence of it among non-smokers is extremely high. Often, because it can cause no obvious symptoms, it remains undiagnosed until it's too late. He was only diagnosed at the beginning of December, and then only as a result of a totally unrelated examination, and was by then at Stage 4.

I went to see him at the weekend when the medics and his wife had decided that the kindest thing was to cease treatment and move to palliative care. I hadn't expected the end to come so soon afterwards though. I'm feeling numb and gutted at the moment. We had been a bit estranged in recent years, I feel terribly sad there were so many things that will now remain forever unsaid and sorted between us. When I was there at the weekend he was already drifting in and out of consciousness. I spoke to him but I'm not sure he could hear or understand what I was trying to say to him. It's just something I'm going to have to live with.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hi CBC,

So sorry to hear your sad news, thinking of you at this time. xxxx

love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 14th Feb 18, 2:58 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 2,440 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget

So sorry. They do say the hearing is one of the senses that remains until the end so he will have heard the things you said, please take comfort from that sending hugs x
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 15th Feb 18, 6:38 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Morning Puzzcat, still love to read through your diaries and get so much knowledge from you and January and Carbootcrazy x oh Carbootcrazy I am so terribly sorry to hear of the passing of you brother. Sending hugs xx
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 28,791 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Hi CBC, so sorry to hear your news. it was sudden but it's such a horrible illness that the speed was probably for the best. take care
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,897.72, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 227.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 18th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Happy Sunday morning...

Bit noisy here as the bathroom cabinet just fell off the wall.. Luckily only OH was in the bathroom at the time.. and I blame him anyway as he leans on it.. he blamed dd's shampoo and conditioner.. umm what is a bathroom cabinet meant to hold.... Anyway that's a job for him to fix later...

So my Friday night changed plans as my friend was poorly so I got OH to pay for our takeaway.. we only have one a month so not too naughty...!

Had lost another 1lb but probably found it again after a kebab....

Yesterday LM came over and we went for a wander around the local town, I spent my 5 Iceland voucher with a top up of 4.50 netted me 7 meals.... She also bought me a bottle of wine so she could have a glass before she went home.. very

Still walking.. not sure I will hit my target of 10 hours but will give it a good go....

Today off to visit relatives this afternoon, then homemade toad in the hole for tea... trying to eat out the freezer as much as possible, although i'm not sure there is that much in there.. should do an inventory soon just to check nothing is lurking unplanned...!

I have been reading a few diaries recently and find it quite sad that people my age and younger are in similar amounts of debt as I was and have yet to turn on the full LBM and start a dmp.. If I had known about dmp's I would have done mine years ago.. ho hum..

The groundhog day cca is still going round, the debt has been passed back to ca*ot and they would like a payment plan.. umm no, have posted and emailed the 'this is UE letter' with the diary of events which is getting very long now.. and we wait and see what comes back...

Busy week of work planned and hopefully dd's return for a recharge...!

Have a lovely sunday.
    Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 24th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat

Quick post from me today.... check out my signature...

Finally the cca doing the groundhog day has stopped circling...received communication today to say it is currently UE (as I told them..) and they will cease any collection on it...

That one was a touch under 9k

I also won the euromilions.... only 2,60 though... its a good day today..

Back tomorrow..
    Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 24th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 28,791 Thanks
    in need of direction
    do you get a refund or is that too cheeky?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 75,897.72, target 65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today 227.27 target 5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund 0.7/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss RUBBISH need to refocus
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 24th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    do you get a refund or is that too cheeky?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Nice idea INOD, but it just means they can't do anything legally to enforce the debt, so happy days..
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 25th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 26,771 Thanks
    carbootcrazy

Quick post from me today.... check out my signature...

Finally the cca doing the groundhog day has stopped circling...received communication today to say it is currently UE (as I told them..) and they will cease any collection on it...

That one was a touch under 9k

I also won the euromilions.... only 2,60 though... its a good day today..

Back tomorrow..
    Puzz. x
    Originally posted by Puzzcat
    I'm so happy for you. Puzz. Couldn't be happier. What a result! That will certainly make a big dent in your remaining debt balance.

Massive congratulations to you for keeping on with it and seeing it through after all the delays and frustrations from the creditor.

Have you any more that might end well? I must try harder with a couple of mine. I still haven't sent the CCA documents over to Niddy @AAD yet. Problems with my scanner software is my only excuse. Your fabulous news has just given me a kick up the rear. Ouch!
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 25-02-2018 at 8:49 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1209.25

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 26th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    I'm so happy for you. Puzz. Couldn't be happier. What a result! That will certainly make a big dent in your remaining debt balance.

Massive congratulations to you for keeping on with it and seeing it through after all the delays and frustrations from the creditor.

Have you any more that might end well? I must try harder with a couple of mine. I still haven't sent the CCA documents over to Niddy @AAD yet. Problems with my scanner software is my only excuse. Your fabulous news has just given me a kick up the rear. Ouch!
    Hi Cbc,

I have 3 more that are enforceable according to the creditors but haven't had them checked out yet.. a job for another day...! I must update AAD!

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 26th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Morning... and its a monday.. and I am on leave...

Unfortunately only today and tomorrow and of course the lovely fluffy white stuff has been falling on and off all morning... sun's out now so hopefully that's it for the day, although we are forecast a load over night.. I hate the white stuff...!! Although I like watching it out the window...!

I still can't believe that they finally came back with UE for that debt.. that reduces my creditors down to 6, 4 cc's and od + loan...

I have had one of the cca's checked of those remaining and that was enforceable so I shall get round to scanning the others in (one is huge) and hope AAD will check them for me...

Nothing very exciting to report otherwise.. LM finally gave up on the smartphone and we have now got her a basic one, which still took 5 hours training yesterday for her to work it....bless... she has gifted the other one to me, which is quite useful as mine is on its last legs.. just need to get it unlocked from her mobile provider.. but no rush.. I am sick to death of mobile phones...!

Today dd is suppose to be getting her haircut if she gets out of bed... and tomorrow snow depending we are suppose to be going to the cinema.. all... .. right before payday... ho hum.... also rather rashly did a just giving donation last night so probably left myself short now....I'm sure I will manage...

Right off to clean the bathroom as it didn't get done yesterday due to phone training....! and more washing.. where does it all come from....!

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 27th Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Only just found your diary. Will start following it now as you are definitely an inspiration. You are doing so well.
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 1st Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Only just found your diary. Will start following it now as you are definitely an inspiration. You are doing so well.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    thanks ploppy. xx
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 1st Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Morning...

And I am on leave again...... Couldn't face the traumas of trying to work in this white stuff so as I still had 5 days left to take/carry over I booked today and tomorrow.. its suppose to rain at the weekend so hopefully the white stuff will be gone for Monday...

dd also still with me, she was suppose to go back yesterday and we then moved it to today... but her uni is on strike again next week up until Friday so she is staying put.... and we are just chilling.....

Nothing went right at the beginning of the week, we failed on hair cut and cinema.. cheaper for me though....!! We will at least try again for the cinema over the next week...

Payday came and went... pots filled.. lovely... No other money news.. all quiet... and not much spending going on as I won't drive in the snow so am limited to walking to the little local supermarket for any extras.. main shop was delivered last night but i hadn't catered for dd so will need to do a top up...! Out in my wellies later....

End of month news..

Jan lost 4lbs and walked 6.15 hours
    feb lost 3lbs and walked 7.35 hours... So I hit the weight loss goal but not the 10 hours walking...

2018 Weightloss = 7lbs..

Goals for March...
    3lb weight loss and 10 hours walking...

Right off to make a cuppa....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 1st Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Well done on the weight loss and walking. I am trying to walk more, not for loosing weight, but because I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and I need to increase my weight bearing exercise and walking is one of those. I also need to do more strengthening exercises etc as well, but am finding it hard going to fit it all in. Real life and work get in the way of exercise don't they...?
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Summer12
    • By Summer12 4th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Summer12
    Hi

I!!!8217;ve subscribed to your diary well think I have still getting used to this site. I was up really late reading your posts last night. So many great ideas about saving pots and ways to make a little extra. Your diary has also made me realise the importance of emergency fund, there!!!8217;s always something that crops up that!!!8217;s just life. Think I need a spreadsheet of my monthly shop as think money could be saved here. Although not sure how creditors will feel if I put my pet expenses down for 27 of cat litter a month! I!!!8217;ve never actually added it up before!! Anyway looking forward to reading the rest of your diary, currently on page 26 of 74!
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 9th Mar 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    So Puzz has been AWOL again...

Not sure why, maybe as ploppy says RL gets in the way sometimes....

So what can I report....

dd finally gone back to uni following the strikes/snow etc.. although only for one day as they are striking again next week.. well worth the 9250 she's paying... but she has some work to do so may stay or may come back.. we shall see...

Half day for me today, I was suppose to be going to London to do the dmp research interview but my anxiety took over as i am not good at travelling to the unknown so I cancelled but still have the afternoon off.... Shame as when I previously did a research like this it was really good, but anxiety is a bind I live with...

So not a lot to report really, off for drinks at a neighbours later, probably pop into town as I need to go to the bank... My account is overflowing with money.. unfortunately its not all mine as OH has sorted out the loan for dd's year abroad and its now sitting in one of my saving pots.... puzz is loaded.. albeit only for a few months....

I have been given some overtime so will be working part of each weekend for the rest of the month... =

Right best finish off working and then get on with the rest of my day...

Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
    • Puzzcat
    • By Puzzcat 12th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 16,386 Thanks
    Puzzcat
    Marvelous Monday Morning...

So another weekend done and dusted....

Drinks with neighbour Friday night.. An overtime visit for Saturday completed, despite horrendous traffic.. but still more pennies for me...

Mothers day, lovely card from dd. then I spent 3 hours with LM teaching her yet again how to use the most basic phone in the world.... An evening to myself last night as OH was working and dd is at her uni house..

Today, home working this morning and then into the office this afternoon to plan out my busy week....

Nothing new to report money wise.. dd's SF has come through and due to year abroad its a bit more than previous which is good.... between that, my savings and the loan OH got we should hopefully be covered...

Nothing exciting planned for the week, although I do have a social on Friday at that well known pizza restaurant.. I am hoping to use the gift card I got given for Christmas for part of my share..

I also complained.. (yes again..) to Mr J Lewis as one of the gifts I bought for OH was very badly packaged and they are sending me a 10 gift card... we love free money...!

Walking has taken a back seat, one I have not been here and I also managed to damage my toe by dropping a tool box on it.. best not ask... will hopefully resume soon...

Right onwards and upwards, shortly off out into the rain....

Love Puzz. x
    Pot Of Gold - 520.00
    MY DIARY -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin