Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy
    • 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy 12th Sep 13 at 12:02 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Green Star Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Update February 2016:

You might also like to read our Green Star analysis.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-02-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Page 20
    • johnnybgoode
    • By johnnybgoode 18th Dec 17, 2:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    johnnybgoode
    At least I'm not alone
    A problem shared and all that!

Having similar problems; switched with the collective in May and still awaiting my first bill. At one point they offered to refund me half my money as they couldn't work out who was supplying my gas. Turns out it is them (under the name Hudson Energy).

Have started the official complaints process and have been told that its with the billing department. The same department who would sort it in 5 days back in August and November.

Why, oh, why, did I feel brave enough to try a small supplier? Could the Cheap Energy Club use their collective bargaining power to collectively sort out this mess for so many of its trusting members?
    • Vicks0001
    • By Vicks0001 17th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vicks0001
    Don't touch Green Star Energy, initial thoughts were positive - the switch is easy enough, the account is easy to manage online however I have now discovered that they do not deliver on customer service.
    I have just had a boiler failure and couldn't get a new boiler fitted until the gas test nipple on the meter was repaired which is normally a priority call out given no heating or hot water.
    I spent over 2 hours on the phone to them, was told that a manager 'didn't want to talk to me', that metering department who deal with meter repairs wouldn't help, the priority call out team didn't want to help and that my gas distributor needed to deal with the problem but they didn't know who that might be. I have lodged a complaint and am waiting for their response.
    • lamanva
    • By lamanva 31st Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lamanva
    green star penalty
    I have had poor service from Green Star. In these circumstances is there anyway i can leave them with out paying the penalty?
    • Feeling opressed
    • By Feeling opressed 8th Feb 18, 12:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Feeling opressed
    Awful customer service on death
    Reported death of customer to them via web site and then emailed asking for change of account to his wife with copy of death certificate and request for change of account to DD from as his account had been frozen. Result? Dunning letter to a DEAD PERSON threatening consequences from unpaid DD; bill recalculated back 270 days at HIGHER TARIFF and made out to a DEAD PERSON resulting in £50 more to pay than is due under the fixed tariff agreed; took 2 long calls to customer service even to get the account holder name changed, still waiting for the bill to be calculated properly and the DD to be changed as requested. NB there is no facility on their web site to change account for DD, customer services are 2 weeks behind reading emails. Only switch to these people (who are Hudson Energy) if nothing can possibly change and you don't want to switch banks during your contract period!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 5,735 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    Hengus
    I have had poor service from Green Star. In these circumstances is there anyway i can leave them with out paying the penalty?
    Originally posted by lamanva
    Yes, switch to a supplier that will credit you your exit fees when your transfer is complete.
    Or raise a complaint in writing which gives to a reserved right to escalate it to The Energy Ombudsman. Given the time that The Energy Ombudsman takes, I would probably look to switch and ditch.
    • spurtime
    • By spurtime 13th Feb 18, 1:04 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    spurtime
    MSE ... what have you done!!
    I can't believe you recommended Green Star Energy. This company is an absolute joke!!

I had a smart meter installed while with OVO, but swapped from economy 7 to a single tariff prior to joining GSE. Seeing as GSE do not support smart meters (unbelievable!!) I have to take readings myself. Since my last official reading they have jumped to the main numbers and I canít resubmit the true readings!!

They also keep cancelling my bills, which makes me wonder if they are really using this as an excuse to bill me more. I have a healthy credit in my account but Iím expecting that to be wiped out by these crooks!!
    • Mikes Saving
    • By Mikes Saving 13th Feb 18, 9:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mikes Saving
    If you contact Hudson Energy UK HQ (and be assertive) they can put you through to the Green Star Energy complaints resolution team and you stand at least half a chance of getting something done. One of my previous postings has the contact details I think.
    Good luck!
    The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money.
    Anon

• Mikes Saving
    • By Mikes Saving 13th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mikes Saving
    JohnnyBGoode:
    Yes there is. I pressed them to return me to my previous supplier under the erroneous transfer rules. This returned me to that supplier 'as if I had never left'. Its not ideal, but it does get you out of the Groundhog Day that is Green Star's catatonic customer service department.
    Talk to your previous supplier too. Mine was Eon and they were excellent at explaining the options that Green Star had and helping me to see through their incompetence/deceit (difficult to believe they're that incompetent, so perhaps they're doing it deliberately?).
    If you can't get one of their call centre script readers to put you through (they seem determined not to) try ringing Hudson Energy UK HQ (contact details in one of my previous posts) they put me through to the complaints team straight away from where I eventually forced some action.
    I stopped my direct debits as they were unable to demonstrate to me how much power I'd used or how they'd arrived at my bill. That seemed to focus their attention a little.
    I'm now back at Eon (it took about 2 months from the point when GSE said they'd do it for the second time - they didn't action it the first time and I only knew because I was talking to Eon) and my stress levels are slowly reducing to normal!
    Last edited by Mikes Saving; 13-02-2018 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Add intro
    The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money.
    Anon

• Mikes Saving
    • By Mikes Saving 13th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mikes Saving
    Always invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee with your Bank when this stuff happens. You get the money back and don't have to hope that the Energy Company refund you "in 10 days"
    Originally posted by trickytree1963
    Good advice - I did exactly this with GSE, who were blissfully ignorant of their responsibilities under the DD guarantee. I insisted that, because they couldn't demonstrate how they had calculated my bill, they had effectively guessed the amount they had taken and had done so without my consent. It resulted in a refund of all monies I'd paid them (after about a week) and precipitated them to a) talk to me, and b) return my account to Eon.
    Anon

• Inverchaolain
    • By Inverchaolain 5th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Inverchaolain
    After an enormous amount of frustration and hassle over billing which ultimately required the intervention of the Energy Ombudsman to rectify I managed to leave Green Star on the 20th Dec. At this point you would think my worries were over, but nooooo.......

It has taken until the 28th Feb (10 weeks) to get a final bill from them despite their T&Cs stating up to 6 weeks. During this period Green Star refused to acknowledge that my new supplier had passed them the initial readings to allow a bill to be generated. My new supplier had to contact Green Star on a number of occasions to point out their error. Even on my call with Green Star on the 28th the customer service agent was denying that the info to prepare a bill was available and only when I refused to accept this was correct did she take the trouble to look into it and came back after 20 mins on hold to state that a bill would be issued within the hour.

I have posted a number of times about Green Star and would repeat that at the first sign of trouble raise a complaint with them and once the 8 week resolution period has finished raise the issue with the Energy Ombudsman. Over the 8 months I was with Green Star I have seen a change in their handling of complaints and not for the better. Forget what is stated on your bill and in their T&Cs it is now impossible to get a customer service agent to escalate your issue and submitting a complaint by email will probably not get a response. I was unable to raise a complaint regarding the time and difficulty I was experiencing in getting a final bill as Green Star deemed this a topic which could not be complained about. I raised this with the Energy Ombudsman and was told that Green Star cannot refuse to accept a complaint and if they do so the customer should ask for a deadlock letter. At this point the Energy Ombudsman will take the customers complaint, even if they refuse to issue a deadlock letter, and consider Green Star to have waived their 8 week resolution period.

If you are unlucky enough to be a customer of Green Star I sympathize with you. If you are considering joining Green Star please reconsider as you are about to enter a world of grief.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 5th Mar 18, 11:16 AM
    • 5,735 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    Hengus
    After an enormous amount of frustration and hassle over billing which ultimately required the intervention of the Energy Ombudsman to rectify I managed to leave Green Star on the 20th Dec. At this point you would think my worries were over, but nooooo.......

It has taken until the 28th Feb (10 weeks) to get a final bill from them despite their T&Cs stating up to 6 weeks. During this period Green Star refused to acknowledge that my new supplier had passed them the initial readings to allow a bill to be generated. My new supplier had to contact Green Star on a number of occasions to point out their error. Even on my call with Green Star on the 28th the customer service agent was denying that the info to prepare a bill was available and only when I refused to accept this was correct did she take the trouble to look into it and came back after 20 mins on hold to state that a bill would be issued within the hour.

I have posted a number of times about Green Star and would repeat that at the first sign of trouble raise a complaint with them and once the 8 week resolution period has finished raise the issue with the Energy Ombudsman. Over the 8 months I was with Green Star I have seen a change in their handling of complaints and not for the better. Forget what is stated on your bill and in their T&Cs it is now impossible to get a customer service agent to escalate your issue and submitting a complaint by email will probably not get a response. I was unable to raise a complaint regarding the time and difficulty I was experiencing in getting a final bill as Green Star deemed this a topic which could not be complained about. I raised this with the Energy Ombudsman and was told that Green Star cannot refuse to accept a complaint and if they do so the customer should ask for a deadlock letter. At this point the Energy Ombudsman will take the customers complaint, even if they refuse to issue a deadlock letter, and consider Green Star to have waived their 8 week resolution period.

If you are unlucky enough to be a customer of Green Star I sympathize with you. If you are considering joining Green Star please reconsider as you are about to enter a world of grief.
    Originally posted by Inverchaolain
    Your experience is becoming all too common. The actual Licence Condition requires suppliers to use their 'reasonable efforts' to raise a Final Bill within 6 weeks. Contract lawyers make £Ms arguing about what constitutes 'reasonable efforts/endeavours' in Courts around the land. I suspect that the problem for Ofgem is that this particular Licence Condition comes under the umbrella of EU Law.

Like you, I was faced with a similar situation last year. On Day 42 after the transfer, I got the gaining supplier to e-mail me confirmation that a verified meter reading had been produced along with the date that it had been passed to the losing supplier. I put all this information into a written complaint and I received a Final Bill within the hour of the complaint being sent.
    • duckydd
    • By duckydd 12th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckydd
    MyGreenSatrEnergy
    My husband received a letter from MyGreenStarEnergy Saying 'Thank you for choosing Welcome to to Green Star Energy as a new Customer'.
    He has not changed the energy supply, which is in my name anyway and he never uses the Internet so does not fill in any forms etc. Plus they have used his name abbreviated, which he never does.
    I have rung my supplier and explained that my energy account is not being transferred to another supplier, they said that this has been happening a lot lately.
    I have also rung MyGreenStarEnegy, which took a 36 minute call, and made sure that I cancelled the so called account that they have set up and stated that I am not happy about the way this has been done.
    They had no explanation , just said that my husband must have seen a broker or done it on the internet,untrue.
    I fell that this sort of this is disgusting.
    Anyone else had this happen to them?
    • kendizle
    • By kendizle 12th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kendizle
    10 months & no Bill
    I dont mind helping out the new guy. I dont mind if the new guy is small. What I dont like is the fact that every month they take my money and every month I give them a meter reading and request a bill, but 10 months later I still havent received one.

After the 1st month I was told that they senf it every quarter. Fine, I simply worked out my own bill based on the standing charge and unit rate after the 1st and second quarter I still have no bills. Ive worked out that I am paying more than I need to based on my usage, but cant adjust the amount, because they havent calculated my first bill.

I know that they can only back bill you for energy up to one year, but to be honest, I dont want to stay with these guys any longer than my get out clause allows for, so I dont get charged exit fees. You would think they would care about keeping loyal customer for a company so new.

My advice is avoid if you want a supplier you can talk to and gets your billing right. If you cont care and dont mind not being given a bill, then join at your own peril. Im happy for the cheap price, but I dont know what I'm actually paying for.
    • #NWBLD
    • By #NWBLD 12th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    #NWBLD
    Poor Customer Service
    I have been paying £67 per month for Green Star Dual Fuel energy, not sure of the proper tariff name.
    Anyway, i was heavily in credit with my account until by 3rd bill came in and wiped out my credit.
    their system has deleted my old bills so i can not reference them.
    I contacted them by email and it took the 18 days to respond , where they told me..

I can confirm your transfer to Green Star Energy has been cancelled and you will remain with your current supplier.
    I would like to thank you again for contacting Green Star Energy.

THEY ARE MY CURRENT SUPPLIER
    VERY VERY POOR SERVICE
    • digger27
    • By digger27 5th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    digger27
    Appalling
    I switched dual fuel in May 2017 or so I thought after your recommendation. My circumstances changed so I decided to pull out during the cooling off period and backed my phone call up with an email as there was some confusion. "Because the switch had gone through according to them" even though I had cancelled during the cooling off period the system couldn't take this on board. After a number of calls I decided to leave it as it was for the sake of a few quid.
    That was a mistake as they now couldn't switch the gas as Scottish Power wouldn't agree to whatever. Chased Scottish Power and they assured me the go ahead had been given.
    Got cashback for Electric but not for gas. This has been going on for months after I got final bill from Scottish Power but still not with Green Star even though they asked for meter identity number and eventually read the meter in Feb.
    I have now received 3 bills this week which is 10 months down the line. Imagine my surprise upon being billed for gas for some 20 days using estimates plucked out of the sky! Apparently my gas was ceased on 7th June and I have been charged a penalty just to add insult to injury. I haven't been billed for gas since June and have no idea as yet who I need to pay when this eventually gets sorted.
    Needless to say this could take a while as emails don't seem to do the trick and their operatives pay lip service in the hope you will go away.
    Looks like I will have to compose a blow by blow account and copy in the ombudsman at the same time as am fed up with these jokers.
    • Mikes Saving
    • By Mikes Saving 5th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mikes Saving
    I switched dual fuel in May 2017 or so I thought after your recommendation. My circumstances changed so I decided to pull out during the cooling off period and backed my phone call up with an email as there was some confusion. "Because the switch had gone through according to them" even though I had cancelled during the cooling off period the system couldn't take this on board. After a number of calls I decided to leave it as it was for the sake of a few quid.
    That was a mistake as they now couldn't switch the gas as Scottish Power wouldn't agree to whatever. Chased Scottish Power and they assured me the go ahead had been given.
    Got cashback for Electric but not for gas. This has been going on for months after I got final bill from Scottish Power but still not with Green Star even though they asked for meter identity number and eventually read the meter in Feb.
    I have now received 3 bills this week which is 10 months down the line. Imagine my surprise upon being billed for gas for some 20 days using estimates plucked out of the sky! Apparently my gas was ceased on 7th June and I have been charged a penalty just to add insult to injury. I haven't been billed for gas since June and have no idea as yet who I need to pay when this eventually gets sorted.
    Needless to say this could take a while as emails don't seem to do the trick and their operatives pay lip service in the hope you will go away.
    Looks like I will have to compose a blow by blow account and copy in the ombudsman at the same time as am fed up with these jokers.
    Originally posted by digger27
    Ask for your transfer to them to be treated as an erroneous transfer and insist it goes ahead quickly. Ring Hudson Energy's Head Office number (see one of my earlier posts or Google it) and insist on being put through to the GSE complaints team.
    Get the Ombudsman involved PDQ.
    Stop any Direct Debits you have set up. Make it clear that you will pay when they can demonstrate what it is you owe, but not before.

Lastly - MSE.com is severely derelict in it's duty to its' customers. I've heard absolutely Diddley Squat from them in respect of sorting out this appalling recommendation from them. GSE are charlatans and MSE.com recommended them - why aren't they doing something to A: help those in difficulty and B: warn others to avoid GSE.

Hang your head Martin, admit you got it wrong, apologise and help put it right!
    Anon

• QuidProQuo
    • By QuidProQuo 5th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    QuidProQuo
    I switched to Green Star Energy with the collective switch last year. Just looking at alternatives now as it's within 50 days from the end. I should imagine there are many others in a similar situation. Bulb is looking the favourite at the moment.
    One thing I have noticed is that if I do it through MSE Cheap energy club the cashback is £25 but if I do the switch through Quidco it will be £40.
    I'm undecided if to stick with the Cheap Energy club and let them have the commission or pocket the extra £15 myself. It is convenient to login to the energy club and have it remind me exactly what tariff I'm on and exactly when it ends.
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 6th Apr 18, 10:53 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I switched to Green Star Energy with the collective switch last year. Just looking at alternatives now as it's within 50 days from the end. I should imagine there are many others in a similar situation. Bulb is looking the favourite at the moment.
    One thing I have noticed is that if I do it through MSE Cheap energy club the cashback is £25 but if I do the switch through Quidco it will be £40.
    I'm undecided if to stick with the Cheap Energy club and let them have the commission or pocket the extra £15 myself. It is convenient to login to the energy club and have it remind me exactly what tariff I'm on and exactly when it ends.
    Originally posted by QuidProQuo
    I'm in the same position. I hope the MSE Cheap energy club will live up to its name and when all those that are in the collective reach the point were they have their tariff put up and also can leave GSE without penalty. MSE will negotiate another collective deal. So I will not get into a new contract involving a leaving penalty too quickly in case another cheap deal comes up.
    On another subject: If you read a thread like this one its actually quite hard to tell if MSE made a mistake in negotiating a cheap deal with GSE because I think most people are only motivated to post when things go bad and you don't see many people posting saying things are going smooth even if they are.

Utility Week say this.

https://utilityweek.co.uk/know-green-star-energy/

In the end I want a cheap price which I think the energy club has given me for a year.

Seeing the above posts I may live to regret saying this if my account goes the same way.
    • Mikes Saving
    • By Mikes Saving 6th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mikes Saving
    OMG Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!
    You might like to know that the Ombudsman made a mistake in returning the findings of my case; they initially sent me someone else's file!
    The circumstances and findings were extremely similar to mine and were also in relation to Green Star Energy, so the mistake was perhaps understandable!
    GSE are getting it wrong a lot and when they do they are extremely difficult to deal with.
    I understand mistakes can happen and need reasonable time to correct, but I won't tolerate being treated with contempt, especially when such large sums are involved.
    Anon

• Steve Wade
    • By Steve Wade 6th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve Wade
    Bill for Energy a year after leaving
    I have a particular problem with Green Star Energy that i would like some help with.
    I left Green Star Energy via an MSE switch for gas and electricity at the end of 2016 and changed to N Power, on a one year deal.
    I have subsequently switched again at the beginning of 2018.
    In February 2018 i received a bill from Green Star saying that i owed them £188 as a final bill.
    They say this is because they had a dispute over the final reading with Npower, which they thought was too high. My question is does anybody know if they can bill me for this, a year after i switched and also do this on a estimated reading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

875Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin