This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I was thinking Gravesend Goldie. I'm thinking of making it a bit of a trip as there is a temple there that does tours as well so would be a nice afternoon out.

I didn't know they did tours, that's interesting to know
    Although the working hard comment does touch a nerve. Something I've been coming to terms with over the last couple of weeks is that in the past I've spent a lot of time working and in the last few years in renovating the house and building the business and as a result I have few friends.

Now of course I have friends - but - I've realised just how small that circle is and I'm sad I don't actually have any family. Well I do have family, I have a sister and two nieces but my sister will have nothing to do with me (family history stuff) and thats it. Somehow I seem to have grown up to late to have a family of my own, and never realised how much of my earlier years were wasted in work.
    Somewhat reflective.

As I'm fairly shy and not naturally gregarious, I don't have masses of friends, but the friends that I have are good friends, so I think that's what counts.

I also have a shortage of family. Both myself and Mr Goldie are only children with no children of our own, and our parents are no longer with us.

We both have cousins. I've lost touch with some of the cousins, but I'm close to one who lives in Canada, and we email on a regular basis. I was very close to 2 cousins when we were growing up, they were almost like brothers. But something really bizarre and awful (complicated family stuff) happened about 10 years ago, which means we no longer have contact anymore, which I'm sad about.

But we're in touch with some of Mr Goldie's cousins, which is nice.

Having done my family history, I know there are lots of distant cousins floating around, but I'm not 100% sure I want to contact them - mainly shyness really.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,756
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Lucky and Goldie. Certainly thought provoking.

Not best of days here. Most Handsome very resistant to doing anything yesterday and today. Am dreading a return of his health issues. Asked the professional rider for an opinion and she suggested getting physio back. Physio now booked for Monday.

On the plus side some work finishing off end of year accounts revealed a client who had not paid around £500 worth of invoices from April 2014. I was a very brave business lady and tackled client - who - it seems agreed there was a discrepancy and has agreed to pay them. Phew. The business cashflow is slowly improving after the hit it took helping me pay off mortgage and I've managed to pay back £1000 of the money I owe company.

So financials positive but mood has nose-dived with concern over pony.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Hi Watty
    I would class myself as having only two true friends. They are both from primary school and one lives on another continent.
    Everyone else is a neighbour, a friendly colleague or family and you can't choose any of them!
    My Gran had a very dour view that friends always disappoint you. Not sure about that but I know animals are less likely to.

Sorry to waffle. I hope Most Handsome gets with the program.x
  • Sending you hugs Watty. Well done on being a fabby brave business lady xx
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • Watty1 wrote: »
    Thanks Dobbibill and Norfolk Dream :)
    Well I do have family, I have a sister and two nieces but my sister will have nothing to do with me (family history stuff) and thats it.

Ditto with the sister thing Watty!!
    Must be one in a lot of families I guess?
    But I do have three lovely bothers and as the youngest of them tells my Mum "Four out of five an't bad!" :D
    Debt free 24/03/2015./ On Dave Ramsey's Baby Step 3./Full Emergency Fund 2500/6000./ Got mortgage on the 28/08/15./ 2015 MFW #117 1242.89/2000
  • I dont really have a true friend who I would say I am close to. I dont live near family so only see them once every 5-6 weeks. I've become a bit of a recluse, although I would love to have a close friend, someone I can share laughs, daysout etc. I have just never really bonded with anyone like that and it does get me down from time to time.

Hope Mr H will be ok.
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,756
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You are all so lovely. Thank you for posting. Guess my situation is more common than I thought. Hard to credit an anon forum can be so supportive. Thanks (dodgy group hug)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • I have always wanted to meet up with like minded people on here but we are so spread out it would be impossible.
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • Watty1 wrote: »
    You are all so lovely. Thank you for posting. Guess my situation is more common than I thought. Hard to credit an anon forum can be so supportive. Thanks (dodgy group hug)

"dodgy group hug" :rotfl: I love it!!!! :D :rotfl:

Hope you are all having a great day regardless of all the lemons life is throwing at you! Oh and don't forget the lemonade or as I read recently freeze the lemons and throw them back!! :D
    Debt free 24/03/2015./ On Dave Ramsey's Baby Step 3./Full Emergency Fund 2500/6000./ Got mortgage on the 28/08/15./ 2015 MFW #117 1242.89/2000
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Something I've been coming to terms with over the last couple of weeks is that in the past I've spent a lot of time working and in the last few years in renovating the house and building the business and as a result I have few friends.

Now of course I have friends - but - I've realised just how small that circle is and I'm sad I don't actually have any family. Well I do have family, I have a sister and two nieces but my sister will have nothing to do with me (family history stuff) and thats it. Somehow I seem to have grown up to late to have a family of my own, and never realised how much of my earlier years were wasted in work.
    Somewhat reflective.
    I got my work-life balance badly wrong for years and years - I'm paying for it now, I have very few present day friends, my business partner being my best friend. And the woman I'd have counted as my closest other friend was diagnosed with cancer, and has refused to see me for almost a year :(

I'm pretty quiet anyway socially, plus I still have very little "social energy", so I'm on my own a lot of the time.

I *am* close to my sister, and there's no falling out with my brother, its just that I don't see him more than once a year, and sometimes not even that.

People like us, who are quiet or don't have many friends - by definition, we don't get "seen" in public life, or in the media. I think there's an awful lot of us.
    Sending you hugs Watty. Well done on being a fabby brave business lady xx
    This is true as well! Good for you :j
    I dont really have a true friend who I would say I am close to. I dont live near family so only see them once every 5-6 weeks. I've become a bit of a recluse, although I would love to have a close friend, someone I can share laughs, daysout etc. I have just never really bonded with anyone like that and it does get me down from time to time.
    And this is the downside of being quiet, its true - its really hard sometimes, but I know I've coped the best I could.
    Hope Mr H will be ok.
    From me too :grouphug: the famous dodgy group hug :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family