Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 10
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 4th Jul 16, 3:45 PM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    Froggitt
    Hi, I am hoping someone could help me with my query?
    Helms (glasgow) installed our Solar Panels via a loan from Shawbrook Finance. We were completely mis-sold these panels as we were told the money received every month from the panels would more than cover the monthly d/d from Shawbrook.
    As you can guess, it no-where near covers the d/d and we are out money that we cannot afford every month. Helms is now in liquidation and we have no-where to go with this.
    We cannot keep paying the d/d and wonder how we would go about trying to get this cancelled or a resolution, without using one of these no win no fee companies?
    Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by karenr3243
    Mis-sold or mis-purchased?
    illegitimi non carborundum
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 4th Jul 16, 4:35 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi, I am hoping someone could help me with my query?
    Helms (glasgow) installed our Solar Panels via a loan from Shawbrook Finance. We were completely mis-sold these panels as we were told the money received every month from the panels would more than cover the monthly d/d from Shawbrook.
    As you can guess, it no-where near covers the d/d and we are out money that we cannot afford every month. Helms is now in liquidation and we have no-where to go with this.
    We cannot keep paying the d/d and wonder how we would go about trying to get this cancelled or a resolution, without using one of these no win no fee companies?
    Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by karenr3243
    Just did a google of helms glasgow and this was the first item that popped up
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/judge-customers-left-misleading-credit-7770294

Whilst I am not a lawyer, I would say you have entered a contract which you must abide by.
    If you are struggling to pay it, then seek debt counselling before you too "go into liquidation"

You may wish to seek independent legal advice about the accusations you make regarding misselling. However, if you do, do be upfront with the fact the supplier is in liquidation. The outcome may be that such a fight will not be worth the effort, but your legal adviser will be better positioned to advise.

Edit: Further complicated by the fact this was a Scottish business, and Scottish laws apply
    • beathhail
    • By beathhail 6th Jul 16, 9:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beathhail
    My other half was approached by "Solar Panel Funding" today, has anyone heard of them I'm deeply suspicious of them as they seem to be one of those "free install" companies that do finance agreements?
    • eastcott5
    • By eastcott5 11th Jan 17, 3:08 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    eastcott5
    Solar Panels
    Hi,

We already have solar panels, and my son has just bought a house with 3.1kw of panels installed in 2011. The FIT and electricity are both EDF. Re-registering has not been simple - photo IDs required and information about the installer and house insulation certificate - which they should have. The paperwork says that he must have EDF as an electricity supplier to continue with the FIT unless his supplier doesn't do FITs. How many energy club users have switched to one of the FIT suppliers from a FIT supplier and been told to take away or re- register the FIT with their new supplier - a messy process at best? I can find no information? it is clearly not a problem using smaller suppliers. The companies get the FIT money from the government - so its not as if they are out of pocket.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 11th Jan 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4,170 Posts
    • 5,387 Thanks
    zeupater
    ... The companies get the FIT money from the government - so its not as if they are out of pocket.
    Originally posted by eastcott5
    ... 'the government' itself effectively has absolutely no money ... never has done, never will do ... if there's no debt then what's there is 'public', therefore ours - but don't get too excited at the thought of a windfall as your proportion of the debt is currently huge ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Steviebh
    • By Steviebh 12th Jan 17, 10:23 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    Steviebh
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this is a silly question .

We are currently renting a property with solar panels (first time for us) and wanted to figure out how we go about getting use out of them.
    When we moved in, we didnt really know what to do and just set up a standard tariff. Are the panels working for us now ? or do i need to do something else.
    I did ask the landlord who didnt really have a clue.

Thanks
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 12th Jan 17, 6:33 PM
    • 6,974 Posts
    • 11,300 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this is a silly question .

We are currently renting a property with solar panels (first time for us) and wanted to figure out how we go about getting use out of them.
    When we moved in, we didnt really know what to do and just set up a standard tariff. Are the panels working for us now ? or do i need to do something else.
    I did ask the landlord who didnt really have a clue.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Steviebh
    Hiya. Basically, the PV generates and this leccy goes through the house via the consumer unit. If you are generating more than you are using, then the excess goes out to the local grid. If you are generating less than you are consuming, then the difference is imported.

The trick therefore is to try to use leccy items when you are generating more. For a south facing system it will peak around noon, or 1pm after the clocks change. So generation will rise before, then drop off afterwards.

However, consider the weather, if you need to put the dishwasher on, and its going to rain from 11am to 1pm, then avoid that time. As the days lengthen, so will the generation period.

The house will always use generation first, so try as best you can to match demand to generation.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Shirepasty1
    • By Shirepasty1 5th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shirepasty1
    local solar scheme
    Hi,
    local solar scheme are pushing their services hard in Devon. Has anyone heard of this company?
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 5th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    Froggitt
    Interesting article here, solar and battery.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-4754182/Will-Ikea-s-solar-panel-battery-cut-bills.html
    • Paesy
    • By Paesy 21st Sep 17, 1:28 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Paesy
    Hi Can you update the guide there is new free solar scheme that EDF are doing is it worth it??
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 21st Sep 17, 5:57 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Terry98
    Hi Can you update the guide there is new free solar scheme that EDF are doing is it worth it??
    Originally posted by Paesy
    Is this the one you mean https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/12/edf-free-solar-panels-buy-power-generated-20-years ?

Initially it looks like it is was only available to 100 homes and that was in August!
    • Cheryl 1961
    • By Cheryl 1961 7th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cheryl 1961
    Pigeon Pest Control Issues
    Hi this is the first post I have made but here goes.
    I had A shade Greener solar panels fitted on my roof in 2015. I agree great service when installed and regular feed for energy production. However I have a pigeon pest control problem, they roost and have bred under the safety of my panels. I have contacted a number of pest control companies in my local area who state this is an increasing issue. I also contacted A shade greener for support. Quotes are coming in at around 800 to evict and pigeon proof my roof .... I requested advice from A Shade Greener they just replied with a quote of 450 plus scaffolding to rectify.
    I am now faced with this astronomical charge without actually benefitting from 800 return on my bills, as a full time worker I felt my carbon footprint was important and anything I gained was a bonus.
    When advising anyone regarding solar panels please advise pigeon proofing is a necessity and needs to be considered and agreed before installation.
    I am an unhappy pigeon breeding and hotel at present saving hard to resolve the issue before the spring so my family can enjoy a pigeon poop free summer
    regards
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 27,359 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    Hi this is the first post I have made but here goes.
    I had A shade Greener solar panels fitted on my roof in 2015. I agree great service when installed and regular feed for energy production. However I have a pigeon pest control problem, they roost and have bred under the safety of my panels. I have contacted a number of pest control companies in my local area who state this is an increasing issue. I also contacted A shade greener for support. Quotes are coming in at around 800 to evict and pigeon proof my roof .... I requested advice from A Shade Greener they just replied with a quote of 450 plus scaffolding to rectify.
    I am now faced with this astronomical charge without actually benefitting from 800 return on my bills, as a full time worker I felt my carbon footprint was important and anything I gained was a bonus.
    When advising anyone regarding solar panels please advise pigeon proofing is a necessity and needs to be considered and agreed before installation.
    I am an unhappy pigeon breeding and hotel at present saving hard to resolve the issue before the spring so my family can enjoy a pigeon poop free summer
    regards
    Originally posted by Cheryl 1961
    Welcome to the forum.

This has been covered many times on this forum, and this is the latest thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5617212

IMO A Shade Greener's(ASG) attitude is an absolute disgrace and I would take them to the Small Claims Court.

Alternatively doesn't the contract commit ASG to remove the panels from the roof twice?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 8th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 3,137 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Smodlet
    In case anyone is interested I have just tried every number I can find for ASG and not one is in service. Doesn't bode well, does it?

I also remember a clause stating they will remove the panels and re-fit them free of charge twice within the 25 year contractual period but can I find the paperwork?

Emailed for a copy of my contract which arrived this morning and clause 5.1 definitively states they will remove the panels free of charge twice in the 25 years for a maximum of three months at a time. There is also a whole load of bumf in section 4 prohibiting the landlord (i.e. us) from removing, damaging or in any way interfering with their panels so I would advise care when pigeon proofing without involving ASG.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 09-01-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Gripper.marseglia
    • By Gripper.marseglia 30th May 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gripper.marseglia
    Solar Panel New Service and Maintenance provider
    I took 7 free solar panels in Jan 2016 with Global Heat Source part of Levantera Development Limited.

Global benefit from the FIT.

I received a letter from Solar Maintenance Services (SMS) advising me that they are now servicing and maintaining the PV system and there appears to be a fault with the system.
    I need to call them so they can inspect and repair the PV system.

I found out very quickly that Global Heat source is now Dissolved as of May this year.
    SMS and Global (Dissolved) have the same Director and both have links to Levantera Development Limited.
    Levantera Development Limited recently went from having multiple people in London to only one, and now all officers (people of interest) reside in Toronto, Canada.

1) Should I be concerned that the letter was addressed to Owner/Occupier?
    2) Does this sound like they are fishing and need me to sign another lease with SMS as Global is Dissolved?
    3) Would my electricity provider know if the PV system is faulty?

Any advice, greatly received
    Thanks
    Last edited by Gripper.marseglia; 30-05-2018 at 5:59 PM.
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 31st May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 3,068 Thanks
    Froggitt
    Sounds like the call I had about my Sky dish maintenance contract being up for renewal. Took about 20 minutes, but I negotiated a cracking deal with the guy on the phone, which he then rescinded once I told him that I don't have a Sky dish, and never have done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

581Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter