Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZhugeEX
    • By ZhugeEX 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    • 1,154Posts
    • 461Thanks
    ZhugeEX
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)
    • 4th Aug 13, 9:30 PM
    Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD) 4th Aug 13 at 9:30 PM
    OFFICIAL MSE INSERT

Please see a more up to date forum thread on this topic here:

Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion

Hello and welcome!

This is a post that contains the hottest sim only deals right now. It also contains a link to a spreadsheet with a full list of every networks best sim only deals with cashback rates updated every week. This is a great way to compare Sim Only deals between providers and get the best bang for buck.

{Edited by Forum Team}

The website can be bookmarked and viewed from any device at any time. The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom of the page for different types of deals, there is also an FAQ page. Please read it (FAQ also on second post of this thread)

Visit the HUKD thread for more:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/best-sim-only-deals-megathread-1623625

Apologies for any mistakes in the above post.

On August 4th 2013 i created a thread on HUKD and MSE that compiled a list of the best sim only deals in the UK from major and minor networks. The deal was received well on HUKD with over 65,000 views and 5,000 degrees of heat within the first 24 hours. One month on the thread has been viewed over 100,000 times

The thread was a continuation of HUKD member QyestionMarks sim only thread which he had started 18 months earlier and closed down at the end of June. He was happy for me to take over and create my own take on an ultimate sim only guide. This led to the creation of the ultimate sim only deal spreadsheet which a lot of you will have seen by now. Maybe even used.

The goal of the spreadsheet is to create a concise and up to date guide with all sim only deals from major and minor networks. The first page deals with 2G and 3G deals. It also filters in cashback into the deals, shows the best rates for international calls, includes a selection of recommended apps to save money and it has 2 honourable mentions of pay as you go deals that may be useful to those who don't want a sim only or who are low users.

My goal is to create an ultimate sim only guide that is maintained and up to data at all times and that anyone can open and view on any device at any time.

Please view the 2G/3G Sim Only deals here-
    CLICK HERE FOR SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Are you ready for 4G?
    Starting from September i've updated the sim only deals spreadsheet to include 4G Sim Only tariffs from EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three.

At the moment Vodafone offer the best 4G tariffs due to cashback of over 130 from both Quidco and TCB. Three offer the best 4G deals for data but their 4G network won't launch until December. The page also contains a handy FAQ as well as a section on 4G handsets and why 4G won't work on the iPhone 5 on O2 and Vodafone.

Feel free to have a look through the 4G Ready Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR 4G SIM ONLY TARIFFS

And now i've included the best data sim only deals. This is a list of all networks that provide data sims for your Dongle, Mi-Fi or iPad/Tablet. This is very useful for those who need data on the go in the form of mobile broadband and already have a mobile broadband device.

The deals include some little known deals from Ovivo and Samba who provide a virtually free data service.

Feel free to have a look through the Data Sim Only deals section below-
    CLICK HERE FOR DATA SIM ONLY TARIFFS

Written 05/09/2013
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 12-11-2018 at 2:46 PM. Reason: {Edited by Forum Team}
Page 38
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Aug 18, 9:21 AM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I was with freedompop but have left them and looking for alternatives I like the look of smarty at 7.5 for 2 gig a month.

Is this the best on offer or does anyone know of anything cheaper or with more data. Not too fusssed about text and calls.
    Originally posted by Malti
    If only MSE had the common sense to include links at the top of this page where they could list all of the most current best deals at various levels.
    • Malti
    • By Malti 11th Aug 18, 10:44 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Malti
    Thank you Colin-maybe

As the links at the top of the page wasn't even listing smarty when I originally posted (it is now though) I thought I would ask the MSE forum for their advice, not sarcasm.

goodbye.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Aug 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thank you Colin-maybe

As the links at the top of the page wasn't even listing smarty when I originally posted (it is now though) I thought I would ask the MSE forum for their advice, not sarcasm.

goodbye.
    Originally posted by Malti
    Except that you already knew about the Smarty deal and you were enquiring about other deals which ARE listed above so you're welcome
    • aubergine
    • By aubergine 14th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    aubergine
    Virgin Mobile - wouldn't touch them with a bargepole
    I have just left Virgin mobile after a lot of timewasting and unhelpful customer service (mostly in Philippines I think).

I was on their 5 sim only, they kept putting it up with RPI while still selling 5 to new customers but put it back to 5 every time I complained.

However, since the cheapest sim became 6 they applied a 1 discount so I still paid 5, until the RPI increase which they applied to the 6 so my increase was actually more than RPI.

It seems their small print basically allows them to do what they like, so long as they tell you. They didn't tell me, but apparently there's no recourse if they don't.

Anyway, if you had a 5 sim only with Virgin check your increases. They were rude and unhelpful and have lost a customer for life for the sake of what was 3p a month, though this year would have been 6p a month. I now have GiffGaff and Plusnet which so far I'm happy with and offer better value for money.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    However, since the cheapest sim became 6 they applied a 1 discount so I still paid 5, until the RPI increase which they applied to the 6 so my increase was actually more than RPI.

It seems their small print basically allows them to do what they like, so long as they tell you. They didn't tell me, but apparently there's no recourse if they don't.
    Originally posted by aubergine
    Every single company will apply any increase to the base price, not the discounted price. That should be obvious to anybody to be honest.
    • aubergine
    • By aubergine 14th Aug 18, 11:53 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    aubergine
    "Every single company will apply any increase to the base price, not the discounted price. That should be obvious to anybody to be honest."

Even when the discount was apparently just an accounting function to put you back onto the the 5 contract you signed up to?

Not exactly fair and honest especially when they don't tell you and actually agree the price rise was wrong initially before backtracking.

I know they're not my friend, they're just another money grabbing corporation but it seems dishonest to me.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Even when the discount was apparently just an accounting function to put you back onto the the 5 contract you signed up to?

Not exactly fair and honest especially when they don't tell you and actually agree the price rise was wrong initially before backtracking.

I know they're not my friend, they're just another money grabbing corporation but it seems dishonest to me.
    Accounting function? They gave you a discount on a contract that had risen in price. What did they not tell you? Did you think you were on a 5 a month deal for life?

Sorry, you're talking nonsense.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 9,567 Posts
    • 7,212 Thanks
    pmduk
    They did tell you, you chose to ignore that part of the agreement.

Anyway, if you had a 5 sim only with Virgin check your increases. They were rude and unhelpful and have lost a customer for life for the sake of what was 3p a month, though this year would have been 6p a month.
    Who knows how you spoke to them? especially as you cancelled a contract over 3p a month!
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 16th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Inclusive allowances usually cover:
    - UK landline numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079.

Landline and mobile numbers allocated in Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are usually excluded - but there are other ways to call these at no additional charge.

Personal numbers starting 070 are currently charged at eye-watering premium rates. Ofcom proposals currently being considered will see these numbers included within inclusive allowances from early 2019.

Numbers starting 0800, 0808 and 116 and other numbers such as 105, 111 and 112/999 are free-to caller on landlines and on mobiles.

Numbers starting 055, 056 and 076 have non-standard charges, but are so rare they are barely worth mentioning.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    I had no idea 076 numbers weren't regular mobile numbers and I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the population at large didn't know either. Nearly got caught out with the 070 numbers a few years ago because AdMag encouraged advertisers to include these wretched numbers without informing readers of the cost. I'm pretty sure it was the paper that creamed off the profit, but I can't remember how.
    This just leaves numbers starting 084, 087, 09 and 118. These are all premium rate with an Access Charge and a Service Charge. Usage of these numbers is now banned for very many purposes.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    Haven't 118 numbers always been restricted to directory enquiry services?
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 16-08-2018 at 7:24 PM.
    • aubergine
    • By aubergine 16th Aug 18, 9:15 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    aubergine
    Accounting function? They gave you a discount on a contract that had risen in price. What did they not tell you? Did you think you were on a 5 a month deal for life?

Sorry, you're talking nonsense.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    No, it was supposed to go up by RPI, they applied an additional increase.
    • aubergine
    • By aubergine 16th Aug 18, 9:18 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    aubergine
    They did tell you, you chose to ignore that part of the agreement.

Who knows how you spoke to them? especially as you cancelled a contract over 3p a month!
    Originally posted by pmduk

The agreement was they can make increases if they notify the increases *they did not notify the additional increase*

And I am always very polite. I hadn't cancelled at that stage.
    • dazedandconfused_123
    • By dazedandconfused_123 20th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    dazedandconfused_123
    I second "Don't touch Virgin Mobile with a barge pole" but I think aubergine was very lucky to actually get the discount from them!
    I was told I would get a discount by one of their OS call centres, but it never materialised! I do get the feeling some of these agents just want you off the phone ASAP and will lie to achieve this.

I don't like being lied to so have cancelled and am in process of swapping to Plusnet.
    Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support

• trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 20th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I second "Don't touch Virgin Mobile with a barge pole" but I think aubergine was very lucky to actually get the discount from them!
    I was told I would get a discount by one of their OS call centres, but it never materialised! I do get the feeling some of these agents just want you off the phone ASAP and will lie to achieve this.

I don't like being lied to so have cancelled and am in process of swapping to Plusnet.
    Originally posted by dazedandconfused_123
    hello daz, what is plusnet offering by chance?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • dazedandconfused_123
    • By dazedandconfused_123 20th Aug 18, 8:57 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    dazedandconfused_123
    I'm lucky I can connect to wifi most of the time so don't need much data,

Data 500 mbs
    Text 500
    Mins 250

6/month on 30 day contract.

• trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 20th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone

Data 500 mbs
    Text 500
    Mins 250

ok kool, sounds nice
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 21st Aug 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Data 500 mbs
    Text 500
    Mins 250

That's actually poor by Plusnets standards but it looks like they have minimal offers at the moment.

Keep checking their website and grab the next deal at the same price level, when you've changed over to the new plan keep checking and rinse and repeat if something better comes along.

I've done that twice since joining them and am presently on:

Data 1,500 Mb
    Text 1,000
    Mins 1,000

5 a month on 30 day contract.
    • dazedandconfused_123
    • By dazedandconfused_123 21st Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    dazedandconfused_123
    Thanks for the tip I keep an eye on the web site.

• Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 22nd Aug 18, 9:23 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Futuristic

Data 500 mbs
    Text 500
    Mins 250

You should check out https://smarty.co.uk, you get back 1.25 for every GB you don't use. Go through Uswitch and you get 2nd month free. So you'd get 1GB + Unlim mins/txt for 6.25/mo on 30 day and you can even use Three's Wuntu app they have some good offers on (like free food/drinks )
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 22nd Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Futuristic
    That's actually poor by Plusnets standards but it looks like they have minimal offers at the moment.

Keep checking their website and grab the next deal at the same price level, when you've changed over to the new plan keep checking and rinse and repeat if something better comes along.

I've done that twice since joining them and am presently on:

Data 1,500 Mb
    Text 1,000
    Mins 1,000

5 a month on 30 day contract.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Here's the link, still active https://www.plus.net/mobile/deals/5/unl/unl/aug
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Plusnet have a new deal up:

Data 2.5 GB
    Text 2,000
    Mins 2,000

7 a month on 30 day contract.

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,027Posts Today

8,716Users online

Martin's Twitter