Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 22nd Apr 05, 7:09 PM
    • 3,286Posts
    • 2,939Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    dental floss - great for sewing
    • 22nd Apr 05, 7:09 PM
    dental floss - great for sewing 22nd Apr 05 at 7:09 PM
    I don't know if this has come up before but I'm going for it anyway - dental floss is almost unbreakable so it's perfect for jobs where strength is more important than colour - I have just used it to repair a handle on my PVC shopper
Page 1
    • elona
    • By elona 22nd Apr 05, 8:05 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    • 22nd Apr 05, 8:05 PM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 8:05 PM
    That is a really good idea.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 22nd Apr 05, 9:51 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 48,845 Thanks
    maryb
    • 22nd Apr 05, 9:51 PM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 9:51 PM
    I mended the cutlery basket in my dishwasher which was letting knives fall through and stopping the arm going round- just sew dental floss backwards and forwards to fill the gap. Also those plastic plant ties/elctrical ties work well
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:16 PM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:16 PM
    I mended the cutlery basket in my dishwasher which was letting knives fall through and stopping the arm going round- just sew dental floss backwards and forwards to fill the gap. Also those plastic plant ties/elctrical ties work well
    by maryb
    I have the same problem with my dishwasher basket at the mo. I was looking on ebay to buy another one but i think i will try the dental floss first , thanks tons you've just saved me at least a fiver
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 9th Aug 05, 1:08 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 9th Aug 05, 1:08 PM
    • 9th Aug 05, 1:08 PM
    If those tied on bits come free and bind up your pump it would cost you a whole lot more. As temporary measures they are fine.

Better still find something made of plastic (even if it has no holes in) and cut it to fit snugly into the bottom of the basket.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • sunsetgirl
    • By sunsetgirl 9th Aug 05, 2:39 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    sunsetgirl
    • 9th Aug 05, 2:39 PM
    • 9th Aug 05, 2:39 PM
    dental floss is great! I definatly agree with you. I make miniature needle felted cats and bears for a hobby, and I use dental floss to joint the arms and legs to the bodies instead of using wire and cotter pins.
    It is so so strong and cheap too.
  • ancasta
    • 9th Aug 05, 2:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 05, 2:49 PM
    and as it has a slightly shiny texture to it, its very easy to remove from fabric. I used to use it as tacking thread when i was making stuff for people and doing a fitting, as it is minty, it is unusal and a bit of a talking point, and slides right out of the fabric as desired
    • Nile
    • By Nile 9th Aug 05, 3:01 PM
    • 14,344 Posts
    • 14,292 Thanks
    Nile
    • 9th Aug 05, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Aug 05, 3:01 PM
    I don't know if it would be flexible enough......but fishing line is very strong too.

You can buy it in differing thicknesses or breaking strengths.......designed to cope with landing Nile sized fish (1lb or less) or Nile's brother's fish (over 3lb) and even heavier breaking strains.

It would be useful to thread beads on to for a necklace.

Personally, I get fed up with buttons falling off jackets so I sew them back on with fishing line instead of cotton thread.........they never fall off again.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • raeble
    • 10th Aug 05, 3:51 PM
    • 10th Aug 05, 3:51 PM
    Where are you picking up this fishing line from? I wouldn't know where to look for it.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 10th Aug 05, 4:25 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Any fishing tackle shop - check your yellow pages
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Aug 05, 10:50 PM
    • 39,153 Posts
    • 36,057 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Do you not find that the floss frays easily though? Don't laugh, I tried using it to help cure ingrown toenails (on the advice of a chiropodist, who suggested packing thin bits of cotton wool round the corners and down the sides), but it just frayed away to nothing and was hopeless!

Although I have to say for buttons I always use Button Thread and that is also very strong, worth having a reel each of black and white, and I've also had waxed thread, which is good for leather.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 10th Aug 05, 11:16 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Hi Savvy, I used stuff called dental tape for the repair on the handle, it's a bit thicker than the normal floss.
  • KK
    sewing thread
    My hubby uses fishing line for shop display work, e.g. hanging baubles and garlands up at Christmas time. I have never thought of using dental floss as thread - shall try it on my homemade cards tonight for stringing beads onto cards. Another tip for buttons, is to dab a bit of clear nail polish onto the threads of a new garment and in theory the button should never unravel. Same nail polish can also be used for stopping small holes in opaque tights from getting bigger (only any use of the bits that don't show like heels or crotches!!)
  • janjan
    dental floss.
    I saw my cousin use dental floss to fix the handle on a dog lead and was facinated. The rope handle had come undone and so the lead was basically a rope. He bound the end round and tied it very tight and even when the dog pulled on the lead it stayed bound. As it is waxed you can seal it with heat too so it won't come undone. He said he used it when he worked on boats as it was strong and you could have a lot of it just in your pocket rather than in big reels.
    If it aint broke don't fix it!
    God bless
    Jan Jan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,202Posts Today

8,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin