Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 26th Jul 13, 2:32 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Car insurance costs falling sharply, AA says
    • 26th Jul 13, 2:32 PM
    MSE News: Car insurance costs falling sharply, AA says 26th Jul 13 at 2:32 PM
    "Car insurance costs have fallen by record levels over the past year, while home insurance is also down, says the AA..."

Read the full story:

Car insurance costs falling sharply, AA says

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • tenuissent
    • By tenuissent 2nd Dec 13, 10:01 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    tenuissent
    • 2nd Dec 13, 10:01 PM
    • 2nd Dec 13, 10:01 PM
    I am about to renew our car insurance, currently with Saga, who ask for a basic premium of £500.94 plus breakdown cover of £121 (UK and Europe).

Coincidentally, Confused.com sent me a list of premiums based on facts I once gave them, including an AA basic of £177 (with free breakdown cover).

I have asked Saga (twice) to explain this enormous difference, but they reply with meaningless standard emails. I have checked all the facts with the AA and increased the breakdown cover, making a total premium of £255. We have an 8 year no claim bonus.

We are an "elderly" couple, the only two named drivers, with certain health problems which I tried to disclose to the AA, but they don't want to know. They said that as long as we had not been told not to drive by doctors or the DVLA, they will cover us at this price.

This seems almost too good to be true. Has anyone any comments or warnings?

(Saga seem impervious to my efforts to reduce their premium - I have quoted the AA premium to them without any reaction).
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 2nd Dec 13, 10:09 PM
    • 38,799 Posts
    • 22,753 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 2nd Dec 13, 10:09 PM
    • 2nd Dec 13, 10:09 PM
    If you put your details into any of the compsrison sites you will find a massive difference between cheapest and most expensive.

Just vote with your feet if the policy you are looking at covers your requirements, you have given saga the opportunity and for whatever reason they aren't going to play ball with you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,034Posts Today

3,850Users online

Martin's Twitter