Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 558
    • bobesox
    • By bobesox 16th May 18, 9:56 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    bobesox
    Yes I appreciate bad weather is not BA s fault but looking at the guide I do not feel they made suitable effort to provide a replacement crew which was meant to land at FLL from Orlando at 8pm to enable us to fly out that evening. Indeed updated we were able to obtain suggested we were still due to take off at 2am. It was staffing that was the issue for the very long delay not the weather or plane.
    Last edited by bobesox; 16-05-2018 at 9:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    CHEAP IN COST NOT IN STYLE...
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 17th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Yes I appreciate bad weather is not BA s fault but looking at the guide I do not feel they made suitable effort to provide a replacement crew
    Originally posted by bobesox

Be that as it may, BA will almost certainly deny your claim so you will need to take legal action to get a result. I doubt Bott & Co would take the case.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 17th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Tyzap
    The only hope you have imo would be to prove that BA did not take 'all reasonable measures' to shorten or mitigate the delay.

This is easier to prove at a home base or even a busy base like JFK where more resources are available to the airline. It would be an up hill battle, but if you feel strongly it may be worth a go.

I'd put your chances at about 30%.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Arthur Moog
    • By Arthur Moog 21st May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arthur Moog
    Blue Air
    4 px delayed 7 hours liverpool Alicante due 1600 euros compensation. However, Blue Air do not seem to have a UK presence, and I believe they are doing it on purpose. How do you go about suing them, and can it be done. I have spoken to oe online solicitor who explicitly states on their site they do not pursue Balkan Airlines. I called and they confirmed they do not go after Blue Air claims.

Has anyone been successful with a Blue Air claim, if so how to do it?

Many thanks
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    JPears
    It's a tough one. I understand that they do have an office in Germany, so you could use ESCP (Euro small claims court in UK)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Arthur Moog
    • By Arthur Moog 21st May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arthur Moog
    Blue Air
    Possibly that route, Thanks JPears. Anyone else with potential information for Blue Air? Cheers
    • JPears
    • By JPears 21st May 18, 9:34 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    JPears
    Dr Watson's most excellent notes in the Ryanair thread are a good start.

• FflurRoberts
    • By FflurRoberts 22nd May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FflurRoberts
    Can I check the reasons for flight delay
    Can anyone tell me where I can find the reason for a delayed flight in 2014. The company (British Airways) tell me that I cannot claim as it was delayed because of adverse weather conditions, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled.

However, I thought the flight was cancelled because of technical problems with the aircraft. How can I check this?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 22nd May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    jpsartre
    You can't really but if you take legal action, the airline will be forced to provide details of the delay. You can also try looking up your flight on Bott&Co or EUClaim's flight checkers.
    • Dave save
    • By Dave save 28th May 18, 1:30 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Dave save
    I can't easily see the answer to this so can anyone help? I booked a charter flight via a UK based agency to fly from a UK airport to a non EU country and return. The flights were cancelled less than two days prior to the outbound trip, with no alternative offered. The reason given was that the agent had not made sufficient arrangements (prior to selling the flights) with either the airline or the non EU airport for landing slots. I believe the airline chartering the plane was a non EU carrier. I have been informed that I am to receive a refund for the cancelled flights. Do the compensation rules apply and does the application for compensation go to the agent in the first instance?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th May 18, 1:49 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Compensation is always against the operating carrier. I am not familiar with any cases like yours. For you to be due compensation, it must be the case that the airline could not have taken reasonable steps to prevent the cancellation and it is impossible for anyone in here to determine whether this is so based on what you've said. If the carrier was a non-EU carrier, you would only be due compensation for the outbound flight.
    Last edited by jpsartre; 28-05-2018 at 1:55 PM. Reason: typo
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 28th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 672 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi Dave save,

You're obviously referring to the flights to Kiev for the cup final.

This is a very difficult area with a long, tenuous supply chain involved. It's not an easy one to answer and although a lot of people could guess at the answer, it is stretching our knowledge here. I would be tempted to try to bring a class action against whoever is responsible for this awful mess.

Someone like Botts may take it on if there were enough claimants involved.

Is there any way of getting everyone together on this?

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 28th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Do you know the only ship never to have docked in Liverpool?
    Last edited by Justice13075; 28-05-2018 at 2:02 PM.
    • worto03
    • By worto03 7th Jun 18, 11:08 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    worto03
    Hi,

My flight from Hamburg to Gatwick was cancelled when the airport was closed due to a power cut. It was closed on the 3\5\18 at 10:00am and didn't reopen until 5:00am the next morning

The next flight I was offered was two days later. We were put up in a hotel (2 adults & 2 children) where breakfast and evening meals were provided.

My questions are:

Am I entitled to EC261 compensation
    for this flight? (I read it that if the airport was closed it's not paid out because it's not the airlines fault)

If it's not covered by EC261 is there anything I can do about missed work.

My wife missed one day at work which she has been asked to take as TOIL, can we include a days wages for her in any expenses claim?

I missed two days at work which I can either take as holiday or unpaid leave, should I take them as unpaid leave then put in a claim for them (if it's unlikely I'll get the money back I'll take it as extra holiday but I then lose two days holiday.

Thanks for any advice.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th Jun 18, 11:17 AM
    • 11,325 Posts
    • 7,424 Thanks
    Caz3121
    no EU261 compensation as not within the airline's control. I assume there was a backlog of passengers so getting back earlier may not have been possible.
    Have you checked your travel insurance policy and see whether it covers for the situation
    • worto03
    • By worto03 7th Jun 18, 11:40 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    worto03
    no EU261 compensation as not within the airline's control. I assume there was a backlog of passengers so getting back earlier may not have been possible.
    Have you checked your travel insurance policy and see whether it covers for the situation
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Thanks,

no, I've not called the insurance yet, that's on my list of things to do today. I'll give them a call lunch time and see where that goes.
    • eef
    • By eef 8th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eef
    Aircraft collision
    Hi, I was on a flight with Ryanair from Stansted to Dublin recently, we were already an hour delayed when the Spanish aircraft behind us collided with us on the taxiway. In the end we got a new flight, arriving 3 hours 46 mins delayed. I knew Ryanair would claim this wasn't their fault when I tried to claim under the EU legislation, and they did, however, we weren't given refreshments or vouchers during the delay.

My questions are: is there any way of establishing whose fault this was and is there precedent for claiming from the Spanish airline? Also although the refreshment voucher value is very little, is it illegal that Ryanair didn't give us these?

Thanks in advance.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Jun 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    JPears
    I think Ryanair still has liabilty. This is little different to a vehicle or airbridge damaging an aircraft. As they haven't established whose fault it is yet (AFAIK) then both airlines are equally liable. Although it does appear to be caused by the Primera aircraft.
    What would be bizarre is if the Primera passengers could claim compensation as it was the Primera airline at fault but RA passenegers couldn't claim because it wasn't RA's fault and "out of their control" excuse?
    An interesting conundrum?

• jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 8th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 3,335 Posts
    • 2,147 Thanks
    jpsartre
    If this is the Primera Air incident from May 25th is unlikely that you are due compensation from Ryanair since, by all accounts, the Ryanair pilot did nothing wrong.

As for the refreshment vouchers, yes they should have provided this. If you had any expenses during the delay you can claim them back from Ryanair.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 8th Jun 18, 1:52 PM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    JPears
    If this is the Primera Air incident from May 25th is unlikely that you are due compensation from Ryanair since, by all accounts, the Ryanair pilot did nothing wrong.

Originally posted by jpsartre
    But the Primera passengers would be able to claim compensation for a delay as it was the airline's (pilot's) fault.
    That would be a bizarre anomaly of the regualtions?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,816Posts Today

7,493Users online

Martin's Twitter