Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 552
    • timodell
    • By timodell 5th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    timodell
    What are the rules then when (as in this case) airlines choose to consolidate flights in order to "reduced the risk of delays" to other (long-haul) flights when bad weather is anticipated? As I understand it, many flights were cancelled last week on this basis, even though there was no operational necessity for these particular short-haul flights not to fly as weather was fine.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    There are no rules that I'm aware of.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 5th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,674 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    It is their operational decision to make such changes and therefore their responsibility if that affects the customer under reg 261/2004
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • micholly
    • By micholly 5th Mar 18, 2:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    micholly
    Just starting to read the information here.

I was in Venice last week for a holiday. Our return flight was supposed to be on Wednesday night with Ryanair. We had reached the airport before finding the flight had been cancelled due to bad weather at Edinburgh. There had been no communication from Ryanair, and I was unable to get through via phone or live chat.

Their next flight was on Friday, a 48 hour delay, and we were able to find an earlier flight back with easyjet, so opted for the refund and rebooked.

The Easyjet flight was also cancelled! However, they arranged our hotel and meals for the next two nights, and transfers to and from the airport.

Were Ryanair obligated to help us at all, when the cancellation was weather related? Even if they were, are they off the hook because I took the refund option? What should I look to do from here? I will at the very least write a complaint.

Thank you!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Yes, Ryanair had a duty of care regardless of the reason for the cancellation. You can pursue them for the difference if you had to pay extra to reroute yourself. They would not be obligated to cover your hotel, transport, etc once you cancelled your ticket and booked from another carrier but since easyJet took care of that anyway it's a moot point.
    • micholly
    • By micholly 5th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    micholly
    Thanks JPSatre, we'll need to get in touch with them. Their flight on Wednesday was cancelled and we paid for our own accommodation for the next two nights - Wed night and Thursday night. We'll try to claim for these nights.

The easyjet flight was on Friday morning. It was cancelled, and they gave us the hotel for Friday and Saturday night until we could finally fly on Sunday.

What I've realised now, going through tweets, is that Edinburgh airport was open from 10:00am on the Friday. Easyjet chose to cancel the flight, so that wouldn't be weather related. Is that correct? Could I claim compensation for this cancellation?

Thanks!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I see, I misread the timeline. In that case, Ryanair should cover the cost your accommodation. Send them your receipts. If I understand you correctly, you rebooked yourself onto an easyJet flight that was scheduled to depart on the same day as the alternative Ryanair offered you? If so, you may struggle to argue that Ryanair should cover the difference.

As for the cancelled easyJet, whether you're entitled to compensation depends on why it was cancelled. If it was because of bad weather you won't be entitled to compensation. Even if EDI was open from 10am that day it doesn't mean bad weather didn't cause the cancellation as the airport was far from operating as normal that day.
    • Carlos77
    • By Carlos77 5th Mar 18, 3:25 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Carlos77
    Delayed flight to come.
    I booked flights for the family to go from Newcastle to Harbin in China with Air France at the end of this month. The flights are from Newcastle to Paris, then from Paris to Shanghai, then from Shanghai to Harbin. They have since cancelled the last leg (Shanghai to Harbin) of my flight as the flight has been re-scheduled to such a time that makes a transfer impossible, and as such have give us flights that will arrive at our destination over 7 hours later than the original flights. Although the flights were all booked through Air France, the flight that has been cancelled is with Southern China Airways.

Now the question is, as I booked through Air France leaving from an EU airport, and the entire trip has been delayed by 7 hours, would I be entitled to any compensation?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    When are you flying and who is operating the flight from Paris to Shanghai?
    Last edited by jpsartre; 05-03-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    • Carlos77
    • By Carlos77 5th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Carlos77
    We fly on the 28th March and it is operated by Air France, I did speak to a guy from Air France on the phone, and he told me I should put a claim in when we get back, but I'm not convinced Ill have any luck, so wondered if anyone had knowledge or similar experience. It makes a 22 hour flight into a 29 hour flight, so not too nice!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    In that case you have no claim on two fronts as you've been given more than 2 weeks notice and the flight in question is operated by a non-EU carrier departing from a non-EU country.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 5th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Just starting to read the information here.

Their next flight was on Friday, a 48 hour delay, and we were able to find an earlier flight back with easyjet, so opted for the refund and rebooked.

Thank you!
    Originally posted by micholly
    Hi micholly,

When a flight is cancelled you should be given all your rights and options under the EC261 regulations, that is a prerequisite.

What some of the disreputable airlines are doing is pushing you to accept a refund and not making all the other available options clear to passengers. This completely goes against what the regulations stipulate.

If you do accept a refund the airline can then avoid any further responsibility for costs etc. You are then on your own.

Anyone who accepts a refund absolves the airline for all further responsibility, that is why the disreputable airlines push passengers in that direction. Just read the last few days posts on the Jet2 thread!

The airline must look after you until they get you to your original destination, it's called a 'duty of care' and includes meals, hotels and transport etc. If the airline say you must wait for three days before they can get you to your destination, and you refuse to accept a refund, they must look after you for those three days.

It's all in the regs, which are the law, and can be found in Vaubans great guide, see below for details.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Claire Parsley
    • By Claire Parsley 9th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire Parsley
    Can anyone advise? we were delayed on a Thomas Cook flight in December, from the EU, for 8.5 hours, due to 'pilot illness'. Thomas Cook refused compensation in the first instance so I have proceeded down the CEDR route. They've taken on our case. TC have responded saying that pilot illness is an 'extraordinary circumstance' and they did everything in their power to resolve the issue. I have until next Wednesday (14th March) to respond and put a counter case together. Can anyone advise?
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 9th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Justice13075
    Check this.
    https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/flight-delays-caused-by-crew-sickness
    • Brewster22
    • By Brewster22 14th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brewster22
    Hi all,

Would anyone be able to help me out with this?
    Flight with Wizzair from Gdansk, Poland to London Luton in December 2017 when we were hit by fairly heavy snow.
    We were diverted to Doncaster airport, arriving around 2-3hours later.
    On the plane we were told that there would be buses waiting for us to take us back to Luton. When we got into the terminal there was no-one to help, no representation from Wizzair, none of the ground staff knew what was going on.
    Outside the terminal it was a mad free-for-all with people grabbing taxis to the train station etc.

I was travelling with my Mum and Sister and we got into a taxi with 3 others. Ended up taking the taxi all the way back to Luton (close to 3hr drive) at £50 each.
    We have the receipt from the taxi to claim the money back.
    Wizzair have offered £100 back when as 3 of us we are due £150. What are our rights here?

Thank you
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 14th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Wizzair are responsible for that cost, you are entitled to claim that back from them, with receipts of course.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • peter.h
    • By peter.h 14th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peter.h
    Wizz Air Flight Delay & Cancellation
    Hi, i am wondering if i have a case to claim against Wizz Air for 2 of my flights.

First flight - Gatwick to Bucharest on the 2nd March. Delayed more than 4 hours
    Second flight - Bucharest to Gatwick on the 4th March. Cancelled all together, with next available flight 2 days after

I have emailed Wizz Air seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for both flights.
    Wizz have replied and said:
    First flight - delayed due to severe weather so we wont get compensated (which i understand cause it was snowing that day). However upon research, other flights departed Gatwick airport that same night?
    Second flight - cancelled due to a 'Air Traffic management decision'. Is there any way to check the validity of this? I feel like this is a cop out excuse but don't know where i can check this...

EDIT: i also checked bottonline and it said I would be able to claim

Appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by peter.h; 14-03-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added info
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Lots of flights were cancelled on March 2nd. Airports may reduce traffic in poor weather conditions so the fact that some flights took off doesn't necessarily mean anything. As for flight 2, there's nowhere to check (that I know of). Wizz Air are signed up to Aviation ADR so you could file a complaint there and they will (probably) provide more specific details about the cancellation.

The fact that Bott and Co says you you have claim means very little.
    • peter.h
    • By peter.h 14th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peter.h
    Thanks for the feedback jpsartre! Understand the first flight we won't get compensation which is fine. Will file a complaint with Adviation ADR to see if we can get more details.

Another question - As we needed to book another flight back to London (£200 through Turkish airways) would we be able to claim that cost considering their next available flight was 2 days after? I'm guessing not... just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 14th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Another question - As we needed to book another flight back to London (£200 through Turkish airways) would we be able to claim that cost considering their next available flight was 2 days after?
    Originally posted by peter.h
    Yes, you have a very good case for claiming that back from Wizz Air since EU regulations gives you a right to rerouting at the earliest opportunity. However, you will probably have to fight to get it. Don't request a refund for the unused flight, just request reimbursement of the new ticket you had to buy (you can cite EU261 article 8). If they refuse (as they probably will), you can complain about that with AviationADR as well or simply skip AviationADR and move straight to small claims court.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin