Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• We booked a package to Luxor, Egypt with a well known British tour operator to a 5 star hotel in Luxor. The out bound flight from Newcastle and hotel stay were excellent (apart from a bout of sickness & diarrhoea which I can't blame on the airline!) until we got on the coach to go back to the airport. There we were told that our flight was delayed for 24 hours, as the aircraft was still in Newcastle. We were taken to another hotel, which was adequate but not of the same standard, and duly departed 24 hours late. Would these new rules be grounds for a claim? I would welcome opinions.
  • My partner and I were set to travel Amsterdam - Southampton in December 2006, which was the Christmas that the fog rolled in and spoiled everything. We were offered re-routes to Norwich (!) or Exeter, neither of which appealed as they would have been several hours train ride or very expensive taxi ride away. In the end a fellow passenger who had just booked the ferry on his mobile said he'd add us on as fellow passengers and drive us down as far as Winchester if we gave him £120 once we reached England.

We got half the flight fares back (seeing as we still took the return Southampton - Amsterdam leg of the journey with Flybe). Still, are we entitled to compensation as well?

Last question: my girlfriend has thrown away credit card statements and deleted e-mails, so the only proof we have of the flight is a confirmation of refund e-mail from Flybe, and the only reference number that has is a cancellation reference, which seems pretty generic (VTRHNN). Is that enough to go on?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Weather delays - eg the fog, which are outside the airlines control do not qualify for compensation
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    leitmotif wrote: »
    My partner and I were set to travel Amsterdam - Southampton in December 2006, which was the Christmas that the fog rolled in and spoiled everything. We were offered re-routes to Norwich (!) or Exeter, neither of which appealed as they would have been several hours train ride or very expensive taxi ride away. In the end a fellow passenger who had just booked the ferry on his mobile said he'd add us on as fellow passengers and drive us down as far as Winchester if we gave him £120 once we reached England.

We got half the flight fares back (seeing as we still took the return Southampton - Amsterdam leg of the journey with Flybe). Still, are we entitled to compensation as well?

Last question: my girlfriend has thrown away credit card statements and deleted e-mails, so the only proof we have of the flight is a confirmation of refund e-mail from Flybe, and the only reference number that has is a cancellation reference, which seems pretty generic (VTRHNN). Is that enough to go on?

They'll say fog, no compensation - do you think a county court judge would agree with them?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Hi guys,
    I'm just looking for advice really on wether anyone thinks i have a claim worth claiming for.

A few months ago i flew from manchester to orlando with my family. The trip there was fine but it was on the way home that the trouble started.
    We were due to fly from Orlando Int-Washington Dulles- Manchester which a 10 hour wait time at washington. Our bags were checked through to manchester so after an (on time) flight to washington we decided to leave the airport and head out to a local mall to grab food. We arrived back at the airport 2 hours before our scheduled flight only to find (once through security) that the flight had been completely cancelled due to mechanical failure. We then queued for an hour at the desk told the only flight we could be put on was the next morning leaving from Washington Reagan - Newark - Manchester. We accepted and the airline arranged our hotel and issued us with food and taxi vouchers.

The next day we arrived at the airport in plenty of time, our departure time came and passed by 5 hours.. there were heavy storms in the area and all flights had been grounded. However we were told we had to go to newark because our plane hadn't officially been cancelled and therefore couldn't be rebooked on another flight the next day from dulles.
    By the time we had boarded the plane our connecting flight had already departed from newark.. and by the time we arrived we had to stand in a 3 hour customer service queue to reschedule our flight.
    We were then told we could wait 2 days for another flight to manchester (on the airport floor- there were hotels because of the influx of people- and they had also run out of blankets and pillows!) or be put on to a flight to Edinburgh which had 3 free seats which was departing in an hour.

At this point we had been traveling for 2 days and it was 1am. So we chose the Edinburgh option- no clothes/bed for 2 more days didn't seem like a very palatable idea! The flight went out on time, but when we arrived in Edinburgh the customer service desk informed us that our booking had been closed, and therefore they could not issue us with transportation home. So our choices were a budget airline (we had 2 hand-luggage items each so would have had to have paid to have these checked) or a train to manchester airport to pick up our car. We chose the train, which cost us £120 and meant we arrived at manchester airport at 9.30pm.
    Obviously we also had no luggage which thankfully got delivered to us 2 days later at home.

We were traveling for over 48 hours and obviously had to pay out of our own pocket in order to get home.
    Do you think i've got a leg to stand on, or will they just say that the weather was the issue and therefore our claim is invalid?

Any advice on this matter would be massively appreciated!
  • Hi I'm new to this and hoping someone can help me before I go to the trouble of emailing the airline. We got married in Cyprus in 2006 and on our return home we were dragged to and from the airport 3/4 times over the 39 3/4 hours. We were put up on and off in the Hilton with meals provided that we're often difficult to access die to the times we were told to be back for the coach to go to the airport again. Anyway as we were due home Sunday morning but didn't get back until Tuesday morning I wrote to complain. We were sent a cheque for £20 each which I was loathed to cash as I felt it an insult. Would we still be able to seek compensation???
    Thanks in advance
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cacawheel wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to this and hoping someone can help me before I go to the trouble of emailing the airline. We got married in Cyprus in 2006 and on our return home we were dragged to and from the airport 3/4 times over the 39 3/4 hours. We were put up on and off in the Hilton with meals provided that we're often difficult to access die to the times we were told to be back for the coach to go to the airport again. Anyway as we were due home Sunday morning but didn't get back until Tuesday morning I wrote to complain. We were sent a cheque for £20 each which I was loathed to cash as I felt it an insult. Would we still be able to seek compensation???
    Thanks in advance

Which airline?
    reason given for the delay?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Shoe.girl wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm just looking for advice really on wether anyone thinks i have a claim worth claiming for.

A few months ago i flew from manchester to orlando with my family. The trip there was fine but it was on the way home that the trouble started.
    We were due to fly from Orlando Int-Washington Dulles- Manchester which a 10 hour wait time at washington. Our bags were checked through to manchester so after an (on time) flight to washington we decided to leave the airport and head out to a local mall to grab food. We arrived back at the airport 2 hours before our scheduled flight only to find (once through security) that the flight had been completely cancelled due to mechanical failure. We then queued for an hour at the desk told the only flight we could be put on was the next morning leaving from Washington Reagan - Newark - Manchester. We accepted and the airline arranged our hotel and issued us with food and taxi vouchers.

The next day we arrived at the airport in plenty of time, our departure time came and passed by 5 hours.. there were heavy storms in the area and all flights had been grounded. However we were told we had to go to newark because our plane hadn't officially been cancelled and therefore couldn't be rebooked on another flight the next day from dulles.
    By the time we had boarded the plane our connecting flight had already departed from newark.. and by the time we arrived we had to stand in a 3 hour customer service queue to reschedule our flight.
    We were then told we could wait 2 days for another flight to manchester (on the airport floor- there were hotels because of the influx of people- and they had also run out of blankets and pillows!) or be put on to a flight to Edinburgh which had 3 free seats which was departing in an hour.

At this point we had been traveling for 2 days and it was 1am. So we chose the Edinburgh option- no clothes/bed for 2 more days didn't seem like a very palatable idea! The flight went out on time, but when we arrived in Edinburgh the customer service desk informed us that our booking had been closed, and therefore they could not issue us with transportation home. So our choices were a budget airline (we had 2 hand-luggage items each so would have had to have paid to have these checked) or a train to manchester airport to pick up our car. We chose the train, which cost us £120 and meant we arrived at manchester airport at 9.30pm.
    Obviously we also had no luggage which thankfully got delivered to us 2 days later at home.

We were traveling for over 48 hours and obviously had to pay out of our own pocket in order to get home.
    Do you think i've got a leg to stand on, or will they just say that the weather was the issue and therefore our claim is invalid?

Any advice on this matter would be massively appreciated!

United is not an EU based operating air carrier, so no compensation.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Eme
    Eme Posts: 7 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping to put in a claim for delayed flights with Iberia. The brief scenario is:
    Flight from London Heathrow - Madrid Barajas - all ok
    Madrid - Santiago, Chile - delayed by an hour due to technical problem. Then we had to turn back to the Canaries due to someone being ill. Sat at Canaries for 2 hours.

Resumed flight but was diverted to Brazil as tripulation could not fly for longer than 20 hours. Sat in hot aeroplane for 2 hours, with no drinks as they had ran out and we couldn't get off to get any. Absolutely awful.
    The flight was due to arrive after 13hrs 50 mins but a rough estimate was that we were at least 7 hrs late.

As a consequence, I got ill the day after we arrived and I ended up on antibiotics 5 days later.

I would be grateful for views as to whether you think I could claim for a refund and compensation and whether an estimated time is suffice for a claim. I checked on the recommended site to see exact arrival time and it wasn't available due to a problem.

Many thanks beforehand, :)
    Eme
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    Which airline?
    reason given for the delay?

We went with Olympic holidays and I'm sure it was their airline. They gave different reasons each time. Initially it was a technical fault then they had no available planes although my sister and family flew home as scheduled 12 hours later that first day with the same company. One of the last times we were even told we were being held up due to the wrong food being in the plane!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback