Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion
    • 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion 5th Jul 13 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection:
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
    - How you found the experience:

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-07-2013 at 4:59 PM.
Page 58
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 26,698 Posts
    • 96,175 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi does anyone know why I can't get a grant for a boiler when I live in a flat
    Originally posted by Nik1115
    Well if you don't know, how on earth would anyone else? You think you can't, so who told you that and what was the reason that they quoted?

Like the poster above, you are looking for simple answers to complex questions.

'Free' and subsidised boilers aren't just dished-out like Smarties; suppliers require you to jump through hoops regarding income/benefits and to show that the property where they might be installed is suitable.

It's not something that automatically gets you the best deal. I suspect many of these offers are there just to get a high-pressure sales person through the door....and we all know where that leads!

Maybe far better to get 3 quotes from long-standing local firms and pay with a loan you arrange yourself, rather than something provided by a slick-talking Johnny with only their own interests in mind.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 23-08-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • pampam
    • By pampam 15th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    pampam
    I think I may have been ripped off for my Loft Insulation?
    I have had a rat infestation in my loft. My local council advised me to remove all the loft insulation which I did. It has taken 2 years but I am pleased to say I am now rat free.
    The council gave me a phone number to claim free loft insulation from a local company
    https://heat-insulation.co.uk/.
    A surveyor came yesterday and said that I must get it done within 3 weeks as the government funding was ending?
    He measured my loft and sid I would need 75 square meters of insulation as I live in a bungalow.
    I got a phone call to say that I would have to pay £280 as the grant of £230 would not cover the cost??
    Can anyone advise if this is true or am I being ripped off?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Sep 18, 3:51 PM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I think I may have been ripped off for my Loft Insulation?
    I have had a rat infestation in my loft. My local council advised me to remove all the loft insulation which I did. It has taken 2 years but I am pleased to say I am now rat free.
    The council gave me a phone number to claim free loft insulation from a local company
    https://heat-insulation.co.uk/.
    A surveyor came yesterday and said that I must get it done within 3 weeks as the government funding was ending?
    He measured my loft and sid I would need 75 square meters of insulation as I live in a bungalow.
    I got a phone call to say that I would have to pay £280 as the grant of £230 would not cover the cost??
    Can anyone advise if this is true or am I being ripped off?
    Originally posted by pampam
    Sound like a rip off to me. Get some local quotes and see what the real price is without "grants" or buy it yourself from B&Q.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 18th Sep 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13,557 Posts
    • 151,379 Thanks
    Anon
    Do grants for free boilers really still exist? There seem to be a number of websites suggesting they do, including the MSE article that linked me to here, but I didn't know if the information is out of date? Thank you
    Last edited by Anon; 18-09-2018 at 8:48 PM.
    • 4236perkins
    • By 4236perkins 10th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    4236perkins
    Promotions on new boliers
    We had a BG engineer visit to check out a minor' fault, however he raised his eyebrows when he first saw it (made that tut tut sound!!)!
    Removed from cover and said "its been leaking" ..... No water or damp could be seen, however he said the 'heat exchangers ALWAYS fail'..... He then priced me a new boiler.... !!! but i said no way as the fault is minor. So he went away and said he would try and get parts. (Major section of boiler)
    i puzzled for a while and found out we are only insured for £1000 inc VAT...so.I just wanted to make sure he had diagnosed the problem correctly BEFORE its dismantled!!!!
    Ive seen many boilers dismantled in BG vans and then the engineeer trys to resell a new boiler by explaining the old boiler was 'too old' and 'worn' to reassemble....... (annoyingly ive seen 'fitters' do this all the time with elderly customers as it leave them no option but to negotiate and pay extra if needed to fit new boiler at £2400plus.

Most engineers are trustworthy & good, but this guy didn't seem to want to do anything, and just take the easy route....

Therefore we have asked BG for a 2nd opinion before we take the plunge, plus if we do take the plunge I want a wriiten statment of how much we will/could be liable to pay...... They just seem reluctant....??? Im i wrong to ask for this??

So new boiler options may be my option. It is 11 year old but always been serviced by BG. Heatexchangers replaced & cleaned etc plus PcB damaged from an old repaired leak.

He could be 100% right, but the engineer ileally need to give the custoner full parts breakdown, plus if it goes wrong during the rebuild who is responsible then???

so many engineers know nothing about 'writting a 'formal diagnosis', and standing in court stating it is 100% correct etc , most of them will be too scared to do it - Thats unless they did their training during the good years !! 40,50,60,70's !!!!!

Thank you !
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Oct 18, 11:00 AM
    • 6,110 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    LeeUK
    We had a BG engineer visit to check out a minor' fault, however he raised his eyebrows when he first saw it (made that tut tut sound!!)!
    Removed from cover and said "its been leaking" ..... No water or damp could be seen, however he said the 'heat exchangers ALWAYS fail'..... He then priced me a new boiler.... !!! but i said no way as the fault is minor. So he went away and said he would try and get parts. (Major section of boiler)
    i puzzled for a while and found out we are only insured for £1000 inc VAT...so.I just wanted to make sure he had diagnosed the problem correctly BEFORE its dismantled!!!!
    Ive seen many boilers dismantled in BG vans and then the engineeer trys to resell a new boiler by explaining the old boiler was 'too old' and 'worn' to reassemble....... (annoyingly ive seen 'fitters' do this all the time with elderly customers as it leave them no option but to negotiate and pay extra if needed to fit new boiler at £2400plus.

Most engineers are trustworthy & good, but this guy didn't seem to want to do anything, and just take the easy route....

Therefore we have asked BG for a 2nd opinion before we take the plunge, plus if we do take the plunge I want a wriiten statment of how much we will/could be liable to pay...... They just seem reluctant....??? Im i wrong to ask for this??

So new boiler options may be my option. It is 11 year old but always been serviced by BG. Heatexchangers replaced & cleaned etc plus PcB damaged from an old repaired leak.

He could be 100% right, but the engineer ileally need to give the custoner full parts breakdown, plus if it goes wrong during the rebuild who is responsible then???

so many engineers know nothing about 'writting a 'formal diagnosis', and standing in court stating it is 100% correct etc , most of them will be too scared to do it - Thats unless they did their training during the good years !! 40,50,60,70's !!!!!

Thank you !
    Originally posted by 4236perkins
    Don't bother with BG, instead, find a local independent gas man who will be more than happy to fix it without ripping you off on a new boiler at an inflated price. 11 years old is in no way classed as old or obsolete in my eyes. Do people really go changing their boiler every 10 years??!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,542Posts Today

9,511Users online

Martin's Twitter