Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    • 1,232Posts
    • 3,566Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion
    • 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion 5th Jul 13 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection:
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
    - How you found the experience:

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-07-2013 at 4:59 PM.
Page 58
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 23rd Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 27,312 Posts
    • 97,650 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi does anyone know why I can't get a grant for a boiler when I live in a flat
    Originally posted by Nik1115
    Well if you don't know, how on earth would anyone else? You think you can't, so who told you that and what was the reason that they quoted?

Like the poster above, you are looking for simple answers to complex questions.

'Free' and subsidised boilers aren't just dished-out like Smarties; suppliers require you to jump through hoops regarding income/benefits and to show that the property where they might be installed is suitable.

It's not something that automatically gets you the best deal. I suspect many of these offers are there just to get a high-pressure sales person through the door....and we all know where that leads!

Maybe far better to get 3 quotes from long-standing local firms and pay with a loan you arrange yourself, rather than something provided by a slick-talking Johnny with only their own interests in mind.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 23-08-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    'There are places to go beyond belief'

Neil Armstrong, apparently referring to worlds beyond the solar system.
    • pampam
    • By pampam 15th Sep 18, 3:00 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    pampam
    I think I may have been ripped off for my Loft Insulation?
    I have had a rat infestation in my loft. My local council advised me to remove all the loft insulation which I did. It has taken 2 years but I am pleased to say I am now rat free.
    The council gave me a phone number to claim free loft insulation from a local company
    https://heat-insulation.co.uk/.
    A surveyor came yesterday and said that I must get it done within 3 weeks as the government funding was ending?
    He measured my loft and sid I would need 75 square meters of insulation as I live in a bungalow.
    I got a phone call to say that I would have to pay £280 as the grant of £230 would not cover the cost??
    Can anyone advise if this is true or am I being ripped off?
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Sep 18, 3:51 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I think I may have been ripped off for my Loft Insulation?
    I have had a rat infestation in my loft. My local council advised me to remove all the loft insulation which I did. It has taken 2 years but I am pleased to say I am now rat free.
    The council gave me a phone number to claim free loft insulation from a local company
    https://heat-insulation.co.uk/.
    A surveyor came yesterday and said that I must get it done within 3 weeks as the government funding was ending?
    He measured my loft and sid I would need 75 square meters of insulation as I live in a bungalow.
    I got a phone call to say that I would have to pay £280 as the grant of £230 would not cover the cost??
    Can anyone advise if this is true or am I being ripped off?
    Originally posted by pampam
    Sound like a rip off to me. Get some local quotes and see what the real price is without "grants" or buy it yourself from B&Q.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 18th Sep 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13,657 Posts
    • 152,257 Thanks
    Anon
    Do grants for free boilers really still exist? There seem to be a number of websites suggesting they do, including the MSE article that linked me to here, but I didn't know if the information is out of date? Thank you
    Last edited by Anon; 18-09-2018 at 8:48 PM.
    • 4236perkins
    • By 4236perkins 10th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    4236perkins
    Promotions on new boliers
    We had a BG engineer visit to check out a minor' fault, however he raised his eyebrows when he first saw it (made that tut tut sound!!)!
    Removed from cover and said "its been leaking" ..... No water or damp could be seen, however he said the 'heat exchangers ALWAYS fail'..... He then priced me a new boiler.... !!! but i said no way as the fault is minor. So he went away and said he would try and get parts. (Major section of boiler)
    i puzzled for a while and found out we are only insured for £1000 inc VAT...so.I just wanted to make sure he had diagnosed the problem correctly BEFORE its dismantled!!!!
    Ive seen many boilers dismantled in BG vans and then the engineeer trys to resell a new boiler by explaining the old boiler was 'too old' and 'worn' to reassemble....... (annoyingly ive seen 'fitters' do this all the time with elderly customers as it leave them no option but to negotiate and pay extra if needed to fit new boiler at £2400plus.

Most engineers are trustworthy & good, but this guy didn't seem to want to do anything, and just take the easy route....

Therefore we have asked BG for a 2nd opinion before we take the plunge, plus if we do take the plunge I want a wriiten statment of how much we will/could be liable to pay...... They just seem reluctant....??? Im i wrong to ask for this??

So new boiler options may be my option. It is 11 year old but always been serviced by BG. Heatexchangers replaced & cleaned etc plus PcB damaged from an old repaired leak.

He could be 100% right, but the engineer ileally need to give the custoner full parts breakdown, plus if it goes wrong during the rebuild who is responsible then???

so many engineers know nothing about 'writting a 'formal diagnosis', and standing in court stating it is 100% correct etc , most of them will be too scared to do it - Thats unless they did their training during the good years !! 40,50,60,70's !!!!!

Thank you !
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Oct 18, 11:00 AM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 2,839 Thanks
    LeeUK
    We had a BG engineer visit to check out a minor' fault, however he raised his eyebrows when he first saw it (made that tut tut sound!!)!
    Removed from cover and said "its been leaking" ..... No water or damp could be seen, however he said the 'heat exchangers ALWAYS fail'..... He then priced me a new boiler.... !!! but i said no way as the fault is minor. So he went away and said he would try and get parts. (Major section of boiler)
    i puzzled for a while and found out we are only insured for £1000 inc VAT...so.I just wanted to make sure he had diagnosed the problem correctly BEFORE its dismantled!!!!
    Ive seen many boilers dismantled in BG vans and then the engineeer trys to resell a new boiler by explaining the old boiler was 'too old' and 'worn' to reassemble....... (annoyingly ive seen 'fitters' do this all the time with elderly customers as it leave them no option but to negotiate and pay extra if needed to fit new boiler at £2400plus.

Most engineers are trustworthy & good, but this guy didn't seem to want to do anything, and just take the easy route....

Therefore we have asked BG for a 2nd opinion before we take the plunge, plus if we do take the plunge I want a wriiten statment of how much we will/could be liable to pay...... They just seem reluctant....??? Im i wrong to ask for this??

So new boiler options may be my option. It is 11 year old but always been serviced by BG. Heatexchangers replaced & cleaned etc plus PcB damaged from an old repaired leak.

He could be 100% right, but the engineer ileally need to give the custoner full parts breakdown, plus if it goes wrong during the rebuild who is responsible then???

so many engineers know nothing about 'writting a 'formal diagnosis', and standing in court stating it is 100% correct etc , most of them will be too scared to do it - Thats unless they did their training during the good years !! 40,50,60,70's !!!!!

Thank you !
    Originally posted by 4236perkins
    Don't bother with BG, instead, find a local independent gas man who will be more than happy to fix it without ripping you off on a new boiler at an inflated price. 11 years old is in no way classed as old or obsolete in my eyes. Do people really go changing their boiler every 10 years??!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 30th Nov 18, 11:25 AM
    • 8,963 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    We have a 15 year old Worcester (combi) condensor boiler that needs constant topping up

Annual servicing has not fixed the leak.

Is there any way that we can ger a "free replacement" boiler

We do receive warm home rebates annually - based on low income and DLA !
    We are with Scottish Power and own our own home.
    The rules are unclear
    Who can benefit?

Most ECO work is aimed at homes where someone is getting some form of means tested benefit. You may qualify for this if you claim:
    • Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
    • Working or Child Tax Credit
    • Income Support
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Based Jobseekerís Allowance
    • Universal Credit
    • Disability Living Allowance
    • Personal Independence Payment
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Carerís Allowance
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits
    • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
    • Constant Attendance Allowance
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    • Child Benefit
    But DLA is NOT means tested !!

Who do I approach first - my supplier ?
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 30-11-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    • WhitbyAmmonite
    • By WhitbyAmmonite 13th Dec 18, 2:00 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhitbyAmmonite
    I tried to apply to eon, as they are currently named as the only company providing boiler help if you are eligible, however despite fulfilling the criteria, they didn't contact me. I contacted them after the 5 working days that they say they will get back to you, only to be told that although I am eligible, they could not help me as there are no installers in my area. (Norfolk).

My boiler was condemned last week, and I have no hot water or heating, but the government help doesn't seem to be there ... Or only if you happen to have an eon installer in your area.

Maybe the info on the thread could be amended so that people don't get too excited thinking that they may have found the answer after going round and round in an endless circle of scams
    • WhitbyAmmonite
    • By WhitbyAmmonite 13th Dec 18, 2:03 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    WhitbyAmmonite
    I don't think there is any assistance at the moment unless you have an eon installer in your area, as they seem to be the only company listed as offering help, and then will only carry out the work if they have someone in your location

Hope you get lucky ...
    • Philli2
    • By Philli2 14th Dec 18, 1:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Philli2
    Hi all, i`m about to embark on a replacement boiler trail and will keep you posted.
    I am in receipt of qualifying benefits and have contacted my supplier(not involved in scheme?)
    Eon who seem to be the only one to offer the ECO scheme and i have registered, and awaiting reply and my local council under the warm homes scheme and are awaiting a referral for an assessment using a local supplier.We will see how it unfolds,here`s hoping!!
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Boiler Schemes
    I tried to apply to eon, as they are currently named as the only company providing boiler help if you are eligible, however despite fulfilling the criteria, they didn't contact me. I contacted them after the 5 working days that they say they will get back to you, only to be told that although I am eligible, they could not help me as there are no installers in my area. (Norfolk).

My boiler was condemned last week, and I have no hot water or heating, but the government help doesn't seem to be there ... Or only if you happen to have an eon installer in your area.

Maybe the info on the thread could be amended so that people don't get too excited thinking that they may have found the answer after going round and round in an endless circle of scams
    Originally posted by WhitbyAmmonite
    I don't think there is any assistance at the moment unless you have an eon installer in your area, as they seem to be the only company listed as offering help, and then will only carry out the work if they have someone in your location

Hope you get lucky ...
    Originally posted by WhitbyAmmonite

Hello WhitbyAmmonite and I'm sorry we were unable to help on this occasion.

Malc
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Boilers
    Hi all, i`m about to embark on a replacement boiler trail and will keep you posted.
    I am in receipt of qualifying benefits and have contacted my supplier(not involved in scheme?)
    Eon who seem to be the only one to offer the ECO scheme and i have registered, and awaiting reply and my local council under the warm homes scheme and are awaiting a referral for an assessment using a local supplier.We will see how it unfolds,here`s hoping!!
    Originally posted by Philli2

Hello Philli2 and welcome to the Forums.

Happy to confirm, we're part of the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme to help with energy saving stuff like boiler replacements and loft and cavity wall insulation.

The scheme is open to both E.ON and non-E.ON customers.

To qualify for help with a replacement boiler, the existing boiler needs to be broken or not working properly and be more than 5 years old. To be eligible, you'll need to own your home or rent privately from a landlord and claim certain income related benefits. There's more information including an application form on our website.

Hope this helps Philli2.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Philli2
    • By Philli2 17th Dec 18, 9:56 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Philli2
    Hi Malc, thanks for your confirmation and guidance, although my boiler is still functioning it is not a condensing type it is (Ideal Classic) and is over 20 years old and served us well, its efficiency is rated at about 73%.It makes some "clonking" noises although we regularly vent and filter the system.
    My understanding of the acceptance criteria is that of an inefficiency and not necessarily broken down or unrepairable boilers , do I read this correctly?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 18th Dec 18, 10:44 AM
    • 8,963 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I am in a similatr position - although our 12 year old boiler is a condensing one (Worcester greenstar) - it leaks like a sieve and needs constant topping up
    I understand that being on DLA and warm homes is enough to obtain a free replacement boiler ?
    Malc - could you please confirm or deny this fact ?
    E.ON ECO Scheme
    Hi Malc, thanks for your confirmation and guidance, although my boiler is still functioning it is not a condensing type it is (Ideal Classic) and is over 20 years old and served us well, its efficiency is rated at about 73%.It makes some "clonking" noises although we regularly vent and filter the system.
    My understanding of the acceptance criteria is that of an inefficiency and not necessarily broken down or unrepairable boilers , do I read this correctly?
    Originally posted by Philli2

Hello Philli2 and thank you for the additional information.

To qualify for help under our ECO scheme, existing boilers need to be broken or not working properly. Each situation is looked at individually. Our ECO team will talk to you about your boiler and the current circumstances. If they think we're able to help, they'll arrange a free home visit to see if you qualify.

There might be certain costs involved depending on the individual circumstances. For instance, we might ask for a part payment towards a replacement boiler (there's more details on our website under 'Affordable Warmth'). There could also be additional costs to cover things like safety work, pipework, scaffolding, extra radiators etc.

As I say, we look at each situation individually and go through all aspects of the application during the home visit. The assessor will let you know how much you're looking at on completion of their survey. It's then up to you if you want to go ahead with the installation.

To start the ball rolling, have a talk to our ECO team - contact details are on our website.

Thanks for your interest Philli2.

Malc
    E.ON ECO Scheme
    I am in a similatr position - although our 12 year old boiler is a condensing one (Worcester greenstar) - it leaks like a sieve and needs constant topping up
    I understand that being on DLA and warm homes is enough to obtain a free replacement boiler ?
    Malc - could you please confirm or deny this fact ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle

Hello 50Twuncle and, as above, each situation is assessed individually. Have a talk to our ECO team (contact details are on our website). If they think we can help, they'll arrange a free home visit to check and let you know what's involved. The ECO team will also go through the qualifying benefits with you.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction 50Twuncle.

Malc
    • hulkgti
    • By hulkgti 19th Dec 18, 5:04 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    hulkgti
    boiler cover
    Hi, just had a read of this thread as my boiler cover is due to end. All the insurers I looked at so far will only offer replacement boiler for current boilers under 7 years old. How do you cover older ones? I didn't realise my boiler was classed as old. Looking to get a new one for this reason but I have looked at the schemes which are supposed to assist with this and they appear to only help if the current boiler is broken and its a 12wk timeline from application to fitting. Have I understood this correctly? Do you just hope that the boiler breaks down in summer?! Any advice appreciated. Thanks
    Also if anyone is aware of schemes that assist with new windows & doors can you point me in the right direction please?
    Last edited by hulkgti; 19-12-2018 at 5:10 PM.
    • ccderby
    • By ccderby 3rd Jan 19, 12:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    ccderby
    Annoyed Iíve just wasted nearly half an hour to get through to EON to be told they wonít send someone out to assess my boiler. Although it is 14 years old and had problems recently, apparently as it is currently working intermittently an assessment will not be possible. That EONs rep, Remy, was really unhelpful and bored on the phone didnít help my frustration.

Is it not possible to assess this? Not sure how Iím meant to know if itís faulty, surely thatís the point of an assessment.

Hello Philli2 and thank you for the additional information.

To qualify for help under our ECO scheme, existing boilers need to be broken or not working properly. Each situation is looked at individually. Our ECO team will talk to you about your boiler and the current circumstances. If they think we're able to help, they'll arrange a free home visit to see if you qualify.

There might be certain costs involved depending on the individual circumstances. For instance, we might ask for a part payment towards a replacement boiler (there's more details on our website under 'Affordable Warmth'). There could also be additional costs to cover things like safety work, pipework, scaffolding, extra radiators etc.

As I say, we look at each situation individually and go through all aspects of the application during the home visit. The assessor will let you know how much you're looking at on completion of their survey. It's then up to you if you want to go ahead with the installation.

To start the ball rolling, have a talk to our ECO team - contact details are on our website.

Thanks for your interest Philli2.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 3rd Jan 19, 2:03 PM
    • 8,963 Posts
    • 2,214 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Hello 50Twuncle and, as above, each situation is assessed individually. Have a talk to our ECO team (contact details are on our website). If they think we can help, they'll arrange a free home visit to check and let you know what's involved. The ECO team will also go through the qualifying benefits with you.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction 50Twuncle.

Malc
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc

Malc,
    Thanks for this
    I am not an EON customer - does this make any difference to any offer ?
    E.ON ECO Scheme
    Annoyed Iíve just wasted nearly half an hour to get through to EON to be told they wonít send someone out to assess my boiler. Although it is 14 years old and had problems recently, apparently as it is currently working intermittently an assessment will not be possible. That EONs rep, Remy, was really unhelpful and bored on the phone didnít help my frustration.

Is it not possible to assess this? Not sure how Iím meant to know if itís faulty, surely thatís the point of an assessment.
    Originally posted by ccderby

Hello ccderby and I'm sorry you weren't happy with the way our ECO advisor handled your request.

I'd suggest raising a formal complaint. A dedicated Complaints Manager will investigate and listen to any relevant recordings of phone conversations. They'll offer a resolution. If you're unhappy with this, the complaint will be sent to our Reviewers for a second opinion. They'll either uphold the original resolution or offer an alternative. If this remains unsuitable, we'll give you a letter detailing our final position and advise how to go to the Energy Ombudsman for an independent review. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Sorry again you weren't happy with our approach and hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Malc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,651Posts Today

9,172Users online

Martin's Twitter