Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    • 1,221Posts
    • 3,555Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion
    • 5th Jul 13, 4:56 PM
    Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion 5th Jul 13 at 4:56 PM
    Hi all,

We've written a new guide on Free Boilers and Insulation, and it would be great to hear your feedback. Please do share your experiences and any extra tips to help others.

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection:
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions):
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed:
    - How you found the experience:

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Jenny
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 05-07-2013 at 4:59 PM.
Page 57
    • gner_ex
    • By gner_ex 1st Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    gner_ex
    Is it still possible for a homeowner not in receipt of benefits to get free loft insulation please?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 25,306 Posts
    • 93,054 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Is it still possible for a homeowner not in receipt of benefits to get free loft insulation please?
    Originally posted by gner_ex
    It was in 2015, because we renewed ours then after taking it all out for the duration of our refurb. People who were renting asked for our original stuff when we Freecycled it.

The company that did the work was based in South Wales and we had the impression it was a way of giving employment to those in the building trade from that area. We're in the South West.

They did a really good job too.

Latest info here. Looks like EDF's customers score:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation#bginsulation
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • littlewren
    • By littlewren 22nd Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    littlewren
    Npower Eco scheme
    Would be grateful for any replies following my application for a free boiler through Npower's Eco scheme please.

I made the phone call and a survey was arranged, which was done nearly 3 weeks ago. I've been phoning to chase up whether or not I qualify - my boiler is 35 years old and needs a part to keep it firing, which is obsolete. I'm also over 60 and in receipt of pension credit.

I've just phoned again, but no news yet. If I'm told I've been accepted for a new boiler, will I need another survey? I keep reading about a technical survey. The surveyor who came out took loads of photos of the house, meters, boilers, rooms, radiators etc. and told me what pipework would need to be installed and where. If I qualify, will I need yet another survey before the boiler can be fitted or will his survey suffice?

Many thanks in advance.
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th Jan 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8,351 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Are Scottish power involved in the FREE BOILER scheme ?
    It seems wrong for me to apply to a company with whom I have never had (or never will) be paying - such as NPower or Eon!!
    • Sue waller
    • By Sue waller 5th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sue waller
    Free boilers and loft insulation
    Hi we have applied for loft insulation and a new boiler as we are on tax credits.However have been told that as the tax credits document mentions our income for 2015/16 which was above the threshold we are not eligible.Can you clarify why this is as our current and previous years income was below the threshold?
    • bery_451
    • By bery_451 8th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    bery_451
    Hello what qualifying criteria is needed for free boiler?

If no free boiler available anymore then whats the max usual contribution is paid for a heavily subsidised boiler replacement?

What contributions everyone been paying lately?

Cheers,
    • Bab Boon
    • By Bab Boon 8th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bab Boon
    Promised a Boiler - No Boiler arrives
    Hi Sadd

OK first off this is potentially difficult but should be fairly straight forward to fix if you go about pulling out of the contract - or rather asserting you are not bound by the contract as the company which said they would supply you within two weeks has broken it.

Because I don't know what you have signed I can't give certain advice.

You asked who can help -

The best answer is Citizens Advice Bureau, failing them try Trading Standards.

Best of all legal advice from a lawyer – but although you might get a 30 minute ‘freebie’ I suspect anything beyond that will cost you. Hey, ask for a freebie though!– many do as a sort of pro bono public service.

Emphasise from the start when asking for an appointment with any of those options it is time critical - You are about to loose out on a free boiler wit ha cut off date of (check cut off date).

I EXPECT their advice will be along the lines of send an email to the Company.

As you do that send a copy concurrently to a friend's email as proof you did all you reasonably could to contact the company.

State:

They assured you you would receive your new boiler in two weeks.

It was because of that assurance you agreed to go with them.

They are in breach.

Unless you have confirmation within 36 hours - basically allow part of one day, a clear day, and a couple of hours in the morning of the next day which is when the deadline kicks in - that they will have a boiler installation team at your house by the day after that (avoid Sundays in these counts) you will hold they are in breach of the contract. (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT GO ON TO SAY >) I would have preferred to have given you more notice but as your 'sales team' emphasised to me, time is of the essence. Unless I act swiftly I will miss out on the Free Boiler scheme.

(AND ALSO SAY) Note too that IF as a result of your failure I miss out on a Free Boiler I shall hold - name of Company - liable for making good any costs and losses incurred in obtaining an equivalent boiler.

Come to think of it - Given time is so tight - You might want to send that email asap on the basis IF Citizens Advice / Lawyer or other body tell you you're leaving yourself open you can PROBABLY retract it or modify it.

Bear in mind tho I am not a lawyer and ideally you should get Citizens Advice, Trading Standards advice or Legal advice before you act.................. The problem you have is how little time remains in which to do that.
    • Bethmiss
    • By Bethmiss 11th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Bethmiss
    Beware of Government schemes offering Free Boilers
    Hello All,

I've arrived at this thread by chance, having been side-tracked while looking at something else. My mother got a free new boiler and central heating system "installed" (I use the word very loosely!) in 2010 through the Scottish Govt Energy Assistance Package. All she wanted was a new boiler, but told she had to have whole new central heating system as that was how the scheme had been drawn up She was also told that old pipework and radiators wouldn't be compatible with the new boiler anyway. Scottish Gas contractors arrived to start on 12th April 2010, and one of first things we were told was "we don't go under floors". How can you take out old underfloor pipework and put in new without going under the floor? They took out our old radiators, and fitted horrible white things with no finish to tops and sides. We're fairly sure our radiators went to sombody else's house! They ripped out the old boiler, failing to remove all the screws first, so made a very large hole in the cupboard wall - which he covered over with the new boiler. New boiler fitted at different height in cupboard (so as to conceal the hole he left), and so now we have very little use of what was a very good airing cupboard.

We were advised to leave the house while they were working, but Mum happened to be here all the time - fortunately. That meant she saw them loading all the new copper piping into their van, rather than having connected it to the radiators/heating system. Remember the old pipework and radiators wouldn't be compatible with the new boiler!!

Scottish Gas Inspector summoned them back to put in new pipework, and new hot water cylinder. They came in July to do that, and managed to get air in the system. They also managed to break our kitchen taps trying to get air out of the system. We bought new taps, which ScotGas Inspector got plumbers to fit for us when they were back trying to get radiators to work properly in November 2010. We had a terrible time that winter with condensation in the kitchen - never had a problem before. Finally discovered that the man who fitted the taps had left us with a leak behind the kitchen sink unit. Kitchen taken apart on 1st Aug 2011 and not properly back in use till 22nd Dec. That's a long time to be without a kitchen sink. Floor units all removed, with all (except sink unit) having damaged legs due to damp. Sink unit has metal legs. Through all this we were still having problems with clunking radiators, and poor hot water pressure. Showering had to be done sitting on floor of shower! They "overhauled" every tap in the house, bar one set, by turning them off to tight. This included the shower. Exception was at sink in toilet at back door - they obviously never saw it when they'd used toilet - yuck! Cold water to shower had to be turned off in attic to prevent constant water flow, and hot water now turns on and off by accessing gate valve through a hole in ceiling beside the shower!

I contacted GasSafe about the hole in the wall behind the boiler, and their inspector ordered Wiseman's plumbers to remove the boiler and put it back up on a non-combustible boarding. He sort of filled the hole behind it first, I think. Room is warmer anyway.

Man from Scottish Gas finally held hands up in 2013 and said "get quotes for new kitchen units and flooring". We did that, and sent all details to Scottish Gas. I supplied examples of more expensive options too, so that they'd see we weren't taking advantage. What we also did though was to get planner to redesign the kitchen to be more suitable for a woman in her 80's and one in her 50's. We explained to Scottish Gas that we'd be happy to discuss costs and that we weren't expecting them to pay for everything. The cost of all units and appliances was to be around £6000 with joiner then charging approx £3000 for doing all the necessary work. We'd already paid out £645 to a joiner, and £420 to a plumber for taking the kitchen apart and putting it back together again in 2011. Scottish Gas sent a Loss Adjuster to look at things. He said waiting for hip replacement so couldn't go under floors or up to the attic - should never have come in that case! He took photos in kitchen, wrote copious notes, and led us to believe he accepted what we were telling him. He then went back and submitted a report to Scottish Gas, which basically accused us of trying to get them to pay full cost of a top of the range new kitchen. We were actually hoping to fit Howden's second cheapest kitchen!

Scottish Gas, and then British Gas people, accepted the loss adjuster's word. The man who'd told us to get quotes had apparently left Scottish Gas, I was told. I managed to track him through LinkedIn - employed by British Gas!

Through all this we've still got clunking radiators, and dodgy water pressure at the shower.

I've contacted various people and organisations for help. Daily Express Crusader was worse than useless. Various MSPs, MPs, prospective politicians and TV programmes have been contacted and been useless. First one I contacted was back in 2010, and was our MSP at the time. He also happened to be First Minister! He was useless too! Emailed Rip Off Britain and got an Auto Reply then nothing. Emailed Watchdog in 2011, and got an email back in 2013 saying "Not Read".

The last we had from Gas bunch was in January 2015, when they said they wouldn't budge from their offer of £1256.27. That was plumber and joiner costs for sorting out mess in 2011, plus cost of new flooring. They also wanted us to pay for cost of four extra radiators fitted in 2010. Mum did pay for them at outset, but Scottish Gas lost the cheque! I stopped it through the bank when we were told that, and we refused to pay it again on grounds that the job hadn't been properly completed.

We got a new plumber of our own to look at things. He serviced the boiler, and said he'd set it up as per the instructions in the Worcester manual - which it hadn't been before!

Mum had a mini-stroke in 2014, and another one in July 2016. I haven't forgotten about Scottish Gas/British Gas/Centrica, but haven't really felt able to start fighting all over again.

I know this a long post, and apologise for that. Take comfort from the fact that I haven't listed the whole sorry saga, just the worst bits.

Thank you very much to anybody who takes time to read all this, and thank you for the opportunity to give my feedback on "Free Boilers". If anybody can help us, I'd be very grateful. I used to enjoy cooking and baking - now it's a chore.
    • scott_lithgows
    • By scott_lithgows 13th Mar 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    scott_lithgows
    I,m looking at these threads again as my Scottish gas installed Worcester Bosch is a 4 year old pile of junk.
    Scottish gas must have thought themselves clever installing a second rate dripping machine which can't even fill a sink of hot water,however they lost a gas customer and gascare customer of 20 years with their nonsense.
    Hopefully I can qualify for a grant soon and get a valiant boiler in.
    I have a deep burning indifference
    • thegraingers
    • By thegraingers 20th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thegraingers
    Replacement Boiler Quandary
    My boiler is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

My local boiler company has quoted me £2000 to replace it.

I also have a daughter who is getting Universal Credit and EDF are prepared to replace the boiler for free.

But looking on trust pilot the free boiler on offer is an Ideal Logic 15 which has a rating of 5.7 out of 10 and the reviews are all saying the customer service is poor and is full of tales of long waits for faulty boilers to be fixed.

In contrast the boiler my local company has quoted is a Worcester Bosch and has a trust pilot rating of 9.2 out of 10.

While it would be good to get the free boiler I am not sure if I am making the wrong decision and am being offered a cheap boiler which will give me more problems in years to come, cost me more in repair bills and will give me more out of service days while I wait for replacement parts, visits from repair men etc.
    • adonis
    • By adonis 21st Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    adonis
    The reviews on trust pilot I would take with a pinch of salt, I have an Ideal boiler and it is fine, get a free boiler or pay out for a different one that could end up breaking down anyway.
    • PerfectDayElise
    • By PerfectDayElise 23rd Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PerfectDayElise
    Eon boiler Scheme - Dead Boiler Too Efficient! :-(
    After a bit of a wait, I had the man from the Installers arrive at my home yesterday, only for him to take one look at my dead boiler and inform me that I wouldn't be getting a boiler after all.

Even though it is well and truly dead, and to my mind 0% efficient, apparently it cannot be replaced because the scheme only allows for ones that are under 86% efficient to be replaced!
    It is an 10 yr old Ideal HE24, and, according to his booklet is 88.7% efficient. Even though it won't even turn on now.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Or any ideas of other schemes I could try?

Thanks
    Last edited by PerfectDayElise; 23-03-2018 at 3:40 PM. Reason: Add age of boiler
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Boilers
    After a bit of a wait, I had the man from the Installers arrive at my home yesterday, only for him to take one look at my dead boiler and inform me that I wouldn't be getting a boiler after all.

Even though it is well and truly dead, and to my mind 0% efficient, apparently it cannot be replaced because the scheme only allows for ones that are under 86% efficient to be replaced!
    It is an Ideal HE24, and, according to his booklet is 88.7% efficient. Even though it won't even turn on now.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Or any ideas of other schemes I could try?

Thanks
    Originally posted by PerfectDayElise
    Hello PerfectDayElise and I'm sorry our Installer wasn't able to give you better news about your boiler.

Did you arrange this visit through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme? If you did, a member of this team will be in touch to talk about why you're not eligible at this time and to see if there's anything else we can do to help. If you want to contact them directly, please phone our general number (on bills/website) and ask to be put through. Alternatively, you can use our online Live Chat service who will put you in touch with this team.

Sorry again we didn't have better news for you.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • robti
    • By robti 19th Apr 18, 7:32 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    robti
    EDF boiler question
    Hi I applied through the EDF site and have had the first surveyor out and apparently have been accepted so now the technical surveyor is coming out, does anyone know about these points to see if I will be charged extra, boiler going back in the same position but new boiler will need the gas pipe renewed ( ex plumber before ill health) and the new boiler will require a condensate drain to be fitted, any help on this ?
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,532Posts Today

7,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin