Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• My gas fire was not reconnected to the new supply pipe by them, nor my cooker. The copper tank is probably £20 worth I think. But I would advise you to email the CEO of whoever paid for it. Which energy firm were paying the supplier for the install?
    And send a Recorded Delivery letter to the COE of the firm who installed it. I did. Perhaps your letter won't get ignored like mine did!!! The whole scheme seems to be a fine mess.
  • Hi does any one know of any installers running this scheme in the Swindon area I'm trying to get a free boiler for my mum as her current one is 30+ years old and could pack up at any time . thanks
  • Yes try Northern Gas Wolverhamton had ours done great job very professional took just 1 month to get sorted.
    Hope this helps and you get sorted soon

Peter
  • Thanks Peter but were in Swindon Wiltshire not dudley
  • peterth125
    peterth125 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's not a problem with these guys as we live in Durham a long way from Wolverhampton and they sent a guy to do the initial survey from Wolverhampton the energy survey was carried out by a guy from Liverpool and the work was done by a subcontractor from Newcastle and may I say they carried out a fantastic job all round.
    The work was done over a couple of days and the new Vaillant boiler is terrific and all this for free what more could we ask.
    This company covers the whole of the country.
    Good luck.

Peter
  • Thanks Peter but were in Swindon Wiltshire not dudley
    Hi Machine
    Swale Heating are within striking distance of you in Sittingbourne, Kent. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
  • :( Our 100yr old stone-built house has cavity walls with the inner leaf being brick. We've had several assessors ove the last few yrs coming enthusiastically to quote but then they say they can't do cavity wall insulation here because the cavity will be uneven and may not allow the filler to completely fill the space.
    We suspect that its perfectly possible if they used a suitable filler but they prefer the easier/simpler options in houses where it's straightforward.

Does anyone with expertise have an informed view about this? :T

Currently our Council and 4 other neighbouring Councils have contracted with B. Gas and are offering the initial assesment free to the first 50 applicants, so we're having another go! Otherwise we'd be having to pay e.g. £120 upwards for an assessment.
  • simonne15 wrote: »
    :( Our 100yr old stone-built house has cavity walls with the inner leaf being brick. We've had several assessors ove the last few yrs coming enthusiastically to quote but then they say they can't do cavity wall insulation here because the cavity will be uneven and may not allow the filler to completely fill the space.
    We suspect that its perfectly possible if they used a suitable filler but they prefer the easier/simpler options in houses where it's straightforward.

Does anyone with expertise have an informed view about this? :T

Currently our Council and 4 other neighbouring Councils have contracted with B. Gas and are offering the initial assesment free to the first 50 applicants, so we're having another go! Otherwise we'd be having to pay e.g. £120 upwards for an assessment.

Hello yes, your walls would be considered a hard to treat cavity. the CERO part of ECO is specifically for you there has been a big push for this over the last year along with solid wall insulation.

If you ring any insulation company up and explain to them that it's a hard to treat cavity, some companies may not be able to do it and it saves them sending somebody out. It could be worth trying a small local installer rather than a big national one, insulation jobs are everywhere and the big companies just take the easy jobs as they can do 2-3 jobs in the time it would take to do yours.

From the 1 st April CERO will require a full green deal assessment where as before it just required an EPC which companies were offering for free, so you may have to pay some sort of application fee and then get reimbursed if the work goes ahead.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Thanks captainhindsight. That's reassuring. Interesting that April 1st is a key date...... our assessor visit is booked for the 2nd! I'll post on here what happens for everyone else's benefit. :)
  • Hi all, it's my first post so please be gentle!

I see that you can get a £50 voucher for John Lewis/Argos with regards to the loft insulation if you fill in the application form on this website.

However, we got a leaflet through the post about 3 weeks ago from British Gas on this so I have already arranged for British Gas to come out and do our survey (its in a few weeks time).

Is there any way I can get the free voucher or will I have to cancel my current survey appointment, fill in the form here and start again?

Any help/advice would be muchly appreciated :)

Thank you :) Bainster
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure